Sometimes moderation just isn't even worth it..

Options

Replies

• eatingforspawn
    eatingforspawn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I tend to average about a 300 to 500 cal deficit and day. I allow myself one, hearty dessert a week. Lately I have been having half of a muffin (the BIG ones from costco) with a half cup of ice cream. Come out to 400 to 500 calories. It is really satisfying and gives me something to look forward to each week. I have zero guilt about the calories. I am at a deficit for the week and the pounds are coming off, so why fret?

If, on the super rare occasion, I find myself confronted with an astoundingly calorific treat, say at a restaurant or party. I WILL go for it. Eat till content. I might consume almost 1000 cals, who knows? And who cares? If it is a one off thing that happens only a couple times a year, it will hardly affect the yearly weight goal. Plus you did not deprive yourself and then come to hate your eating style. HAVE FUN some of the time. And the rest of the time be good, and eat foods that you enjoy but are on the plan!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    *shrug* I love the tiny cupcakes and am happy with one or two for the calorie count. I will also be making room in my day for a blueberry turnover this evening for dessert.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Yes. Yes, it does kind of suck at times. Perhaps there's something that would satisfy that brownie craving without as many calories. A few squares of good dark chocolate, perhaps.

This ^^^^
    a really good dark chocolate square is so satisfying.

Agree with you OP and +1 for dark chocolate.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    HugeBum wrote: »
    I agree- all the people on here who are like "fit the food you love into your goals" if you're happy to eat a sliver of pizza and a teaspoon of ice cream, well done, but I find it hard to work in a reasonable amount to satisfy, given how unfilling these foods generally are. I find it easier to avoid them altogether because I am just not a person who does anything by halfs.
    And the older you get, the smaller that sliver gets lol.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I totally have foods that i figure if i can't eat as much add i want, i won't bother eating at all! Moderation is all well and good in theory, but sometimes it's easier to just avoid.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Except for the sadness part, I see your story as a victory. You came, you saw, you put it back down. Not worth the spend. This is a conscious choice, evidence of frontal lobe activity.

Compare that to the story of a dieter who is completely overcome by the siren call of the brownie, can't stop at one, has no idea how many were consumed in the past five seconds, and doesn't want to count them either. Might as well weep in a jug of beer with a side of chicken wings.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    140 calories for eight. I know, not the same.
    00159CL.GIF
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Except for the sadness part, I see your story as a victory. You came, you saw, you put it back down. Not worth the spend. This is a conscious choice, evidence of frontal lobe activity.

Compare that to the story of a dieter who is completely overcome by the siren call of the brownie, can't stop at one, has no idea how many were consumed in the past five seconds, and doesn't want to count them either. Might as well weep in a jug of beer with a side of chicken wings.

heh. Nicely put!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Kind of agree with the OP. Nothing is off limits for me, but many times I dont bother with moderation because the amount is just too small and I just choose not to bother and eat an alternative. If you exercise, then you can earn some calories to eat.

I admire the ones on the long journeys that have kept the weight loss up for 2 years+.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think a big part of this process and moderation is adjusting our mentality of what a portion is. Sure, a small piece is not nearly as satisfying as a large piece. To me a small piece is better than nothing. Two slices of pizza is not nearly as satisfying as an entire pizza, but two slices is better than nothing. Planning those treats in advance helps you prepare for the amount you will be eating and it will make it more satisfying.
  • Fatfurie
    Fatfurie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! I just stopped buying bread altogether because when I had it in the house I would eat it and eating just one slice every once in a while was torture. Same with desserts! The sugars make you want more right away. It is so hard!
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've been craving a brownie. I had to do some groceries today so I picked Wegmans, as they have a good bakery section, and went and checked the brownies... and I just left empty handed. It's just ridiculous... Two tiny one maybe two bite brownies = 220 calories. A pan of brownie (which was what... 3x10?)... 10 SERVINGS of 170 calories.

Just forget it. I'm all for moderation but it's not even worth it when a serving big enough to actually satisfy me would be 500+ calories (which I could maybe fit in that one week a month when I'm not constantly hungry, and this is not it).

I'm kinda sad now though... This 'healthy eating' thing just sucks at times.

• emilyrigh
    emilyrigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually curb those sugar cravings with a Special K mocha crunch meal bar. It tastes like a treat and the fiber curbs my cravings.
  • SoManyCookies
    SoManyCookies Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have you tried brownie brittle yet? Very satisfying for only 120 calories per serving. I find the servings to be more than enough to satisfy my craving... Hope it helps.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I lol'd at this post. And not because I'm hateful. But because i'm having the same problem with girl scout cookies. I really want to just slam them against the wall. But then I also want to eat them. Samoas, Thin Mints, and Tagalongs are my favorite. I am short and thin (I lost 20lbs using MFP), so I get to hardly have any unless I want to work my butt off later for them. And I don't always feel like doing that lol. And since they don't have very much nutritional value it just ends up being a waste eating two cookies with no satisfaction lol. The struggle is real. And it's a pain in the butt.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just eat the brownie! When you've tried to substitute the cravings and it's not working, just eat the brownie. This one time isn't going to kill you and you can always stay under calories next week if it comes down to it. Life is just to short to ALWAYS deny yourself what you want the most. Sometimes you just got to cave in!

ETA: I have a 4,000+ calorie box of chocolates waiting for me at home. While I don't plan to eat every single one I am planning on eating 90% of them. Not sorry, not sad. I'll gain weight Monday and be back to normal Friday or Saturday.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I think a big part of this process and moderation is adjusting our mentality of what a portion is. Sure, a small piece is not nearly as satisfying as a large piece. To me a small piece is better than nothing. Two slices of pizza is not nearly as satisfying as an entire pizza, but two slices is better than nothing. Planning those treats in advance helps you prepare for the amount you will be eating and it will make it more satisfying.

Ok, but see, with two slices of pizza, you get plenty of bites. Two slices of pizza is plenty for me. But two bites for 120 calories is just NOT worth it. Heck, even girl scout cookies I can get 6 bites for 140 calories... now that's better.

I was craving an almond croissant once, I was good and bought a 180 calorie ones instead of the big ones... 3 bites later, it was gone, and not only I wasn't satisfied, I was extremely frustrated.

Really wish I didn't have such a sweet tooth.
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    Just eat the brownie! When you've tried to substitute the cravings and it's not working, just eat the brownie. This one time isn't going to kill you and you can always stay under calories next week if it comes down to it. Life is just to short to ALWAYS deny yourself what you want the most. Sometimes you just got to cave in!

Oh I'm guessing a massive brownie cheat is in my near future. Probably when PMS hits.
    Have you tried brownie brittle yet? Very satisfying for only 120 calories per serving. I find the servings to be more than enough to satisfy my craving... Hope it helps.

No but I'll look it up!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I think a big part of this process and moderation is adjusting our mentality of what a portion is.
    This. I was used to eating enormous portions and thinking that it was normal. That's how I got fat. When I started basing eating off recommended serving sizes I started losing weight. Sure 6 triscuits sound like barely a nibble but if you chew more and swallow less you can actually get the same amount of enjoyment out of the smaller portion size.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I keep bread (my downfall) in the freezer. Makes me think before I act. In a former life, I could easily finish a loaf in an afternoon. Now, it's one or two slices a day.

A girlfriend tried the freezer method for chocolate covered almonds but she developed a taste for frozen chocolate.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    Oh I'm guessing a massive brownie cheat is in my near future. Probably when PMS hits.

Have you tried the Fiber One bars and brownies? Some of them are really good and they are all under 150 calories. You can have a scoop of ice cream with it if you want too ;)