fifty shades of grey

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    If you like that sort of thing, read "The Story of O."

Fifty Shades is just juvenile Twilight fan fiction.

The Story of O is on the complete opposite spectrum. Definitely not for anyone looking for some light reading/light exploration. I started it because I thought "hey! Anne Rice!". Holy crap....
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading the books. I'll be seeing the movie with some friends of mine.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Did not like the book, seemed a bit fake and some of the scenes unrealistic to me. I found myself nitpicking things like the hygiene, sometimes Anastasia would not bathe or wash up after sex... :s, I know. I know its only a book but still. ;) Planning on going to see the movie though lol. Hopefully it will be better than the book.
  • SadisticMastered
    Options
    The books, as I'm sure the movie will to an even lesser extent, have little to nothing to do with the BDSM Lifestyle. It's poorly-written, rough/kinky-sex, candy-sugary-romance and juvenile interactions between characters that aren't realistic. I do understand the 'hollywoodification' and use of formula to entertain readers and to fill seats in theaters but this is just awful.

If you are really interested in the lifestyle, and I can assure you it IS a lifestyle that is complete and fulfilling, then there are far better books on the subject, even fiction that runs circles around this drivel, and many places on line and in real life to educate yourself and find out what you've been missing.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

The Story of O is on the complete opposite spectrum. Definitely not for anyone looking for some light reading/light exploration. I started it because I thought "hey! Anne Rice!". Holy crap....

I tried to read the Anne Rice books - I got a whole 100 pages into the first book, Sleeping Beauty - it was so incredibly stupid, I gave up.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I tried to read the Anne Rice books - I got a whole 100 pages into the first book, Sleeping Beauty - it was so incredibly stupid, I gave up.

I agree. I put it down pretty much right away.

Did I get the two books confused? Who wrote the Story of O?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    So I've heard a lot of different views on fifty shades of gray , some people think its retarded, others find it amazing. What are your guys and girls views?

Okay-

For starters- I work with adults with developmental disabilities and find the word "retarded" offensive.

- The book was so poorly written I don't imagine the movie being any better. I got to chapter 10 before I called it quits.
  • SadisticMastered
    Options
    Certainly, the marketplace series by Laura Antoniou is a far, far better fictional account of BDSM than 50 Shades.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    I think this is the 1st movie that is not being billed as a tear-jerker where people will still remind themselves to bring tissues.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My .02 cents, I enjoyed the first two books (the first one actually turned me on!) By the third book, I was so sick of their sex life and was hoping there was something else to keep me interested but I never finished the 3rd book. Maybe it got better.

I will not go to the movies to see it but I will watch it when it comes to Amazon or Netflix.

I do think Jamie Dornan is yummy :)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

I agree. I put it down pretty much right away.

Did I get the two books confused? Who wrote the Story of O?

The Story of O was written by Anne Desclos (pen name Pauline Reage) in 1954.

Of course, if you want to go back, back, back you can read the works by the Marquis de Sade like Justine or Philosophy in the Bedroom. He was certainly an interesting individual, to say the least, lol.

• JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If they had it so Predator came in and killed both Ana and Christian I'd watch it.
  • WarDamnJay
    WarDamnJay Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    JeriAnne84 wrote: »
    If they had it so Predator came in and killed both Ana and Christian I'd watch it.

That is the greatest thing I've ever heard! I'd go pay to see that!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    JeriAnne84 wrote: »

Now there is a movie I would spend money on!
  • Leyalin
    Leyalin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stay home and watch The Secretary instead. Much better movie imo. <3
  • BigBadWolf__
    BigBadWolf__ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    they should just rename it to 50 Shades of Beige
  • The_Morrighan
    The_Morrighan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd pay to see the predator as for 50 shades of grey the books were really weak. As for the film no thanks not my thing at all
  • BRB_sardines
    BRB_sardines Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have no interest in 50 shades of vanilla
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I read more than half way through the first book wondering when it was going to get exciting....Holy smokes, Harlequin ROmance are better books than this drivel. Glad I got that book at a yard sale.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I read the books. Seeing the film this evening with a girlfriend. My thoughts . . . it was a mindless read. I read all sorts of books, and sometimes I am just looking for a distration from the monotany of life. 50 Shades was that. Also, I found myself in situations where people were constantly talking about the book. It was nice to be able to participate in the conversations. I think the movie will be the same. I am not expecting to be all warm and tingly when I leave the theater (If I am . . . Yay). Nor am I expecting to have my mind stimulated. I am taking it for what it is . . . a fun way to spend an evening with a good friend. I guess either I am a brainless twit . . . or possibly smart enough to not overthink it, and just take it for what it is.