Sometimes moderation just isn't even worth it..

Options

Replies

• Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    MezaEza wrote: »
    100 calories brownies (or less if you don't add the nuts!) http://www.thelondoner.me/2013/04/100-cal-chocofudge-brownies.html

I might make those tonight. Thanks for sharing <3

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    jenmovies wrote: »
    What if you have the brownie? I mean, if it's a few times per year, and exercise like a demon that day, will it really matter? You should be able to not torture yourself ALL the time. Then again, I am 30 lbs overweight so maybe don't listen to me! haha

A few times a year? Is that what folks are discussing? A brownie (or other yummy treat) a few times a year? To *me* that's not moderation.

They are saying the 1000+ calorie splurge a few times a year isn't a big deal. If someone wants to moderate normal servings only a few times a year that's their choice as well. At least the 1000+ is relating to waht someone ELSE said re: splurging a few times a year. Which is not the same as daily/regular moderation.

That's not what that post says. it says a brownie. Several times a year. With added exercise. I'm just wondering if everyone is on the same page with "moderation".

then start your on thread and ask fora definition ….

Or I can participate in this one, CTC.

and derail it????
    Actually Id say you did. I asked a question after several replies.
    You chimed in to do what you do. But whatever.

I don't think OP was asking for a definition of moderation …

but keep on keep on ...

Lol
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I've had similar experiences and have come to realize that my version of moderation isn't what people mean when they say "enjoy the foods you like, but in moderation." Apparently moderation isn't 5 servings. Who knew?

That just makes me laugh. Thanks
  • lajackash
    Options
    I have never been a fan of moderation. Ever. Because the mindset is usually "If I can only have this much than I may as well not have any!" And I have always thought that that kind of deprivation is not healthy, but then again I am not competing to be the next IFBB Bikini Pro or anything...

However, I will say that over the years I have learned to adjust my eating habits. I love sweets and I also love looking good- I don't treat those things as mutually exclusive. I try to balance out my "splurges" and I always think about how I am going to feel once I inhale whatever I am craving. Like today my mom and I went to Costco, we were both eye-balling the frozen yogurt and I thought to myself, "Yes, I love froyo, but do I really need an ENTIRE Costco serving of it?" The answer was no, and I split one with my mom. Turns out we could only eat half it between the two of us! I got to satisfy a craving with only a quarter of [nonexistent] guilt!

I think the more you learn to listen to your body, the easier moderation can be. It may not be the ideal amount you want to eat, but better some than none. And if you need a cupcake or a cookie or a slice of pizza- eat it. Just eat it... preferably not the whole thing, but enough to feel like you've done something. I like being happy. Yes I hate when MFP tells me that I have overindulged on some daily goal that has been set for me, but overall I am ok.

This is probably not the best advice, but the way I see it, if you are eating and exercising consistently, then you are allowed to splurge every once in a while. It truly is the little things.

Be blessed!

• beets4us
    beets4us Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Another idea. You can buy/make brownies, keep a couple for yourself, and bring the rest to work/school/ect. I love to bake, but having a whole batch of cookies in the house with just me is a binge disaster waiting to happen! However, if I'm really getting the urge, I'll be "that coworker" and leave most of them in the break room the next day.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    OP, I so totally agree with you. I love the 2 bite brownies from Costco. They are so good but at 140 cals each...ouch. I just can't afford them. I can hardly wait to be in maintenance. I may have to pay for them for a month but at least I'll get the 10 I want.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    when i am craving chocolate, a plate of vegetables wont do it. i will still crave the chocolate. fruit wont even work. what i do though is have a cup of real hot chocolate.. 89 calories, and it satisfies my craving for chocolate. im shocked but it really works for me. Another thing, Valentines Day is coming soon and i really will be craving some chocolate to celebrate. tomorrow our office is going to have some kind of valentines treats. probably those really decadent cupcakes with the inch of frosting. but i will have one. and saturday i might even go get me three chocolate cream candies from the very expensive candy store. so in other words, if i want chocolate, i will have THE best and it may satisfy me. i will allow myself a splurge once a week or once every two weeks.
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    This is why I have a cheat day where I eat 1700 calories of whatever I crave. Sooo, 3 brownies for breakfast, cupcakes for lunch, and for dinner a snicker ice cream waffle :P (and no I don't have a recipe, it's on the menu of a local restaurant.)
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What if you have the brownie? I mean, if it's a few times per year, and exercise like a demon that day, will it really matter? You should be able to not torture yourself ALL the time. Then again, I am 30 lbs overweight so maybe don't listen to me! haha

A few times a year? Is that what folks are discussing? A brownie (or other yummy treat) a few times a year? To *me* that's not moderation.

They are saying the 1000+ calorie splurge a few times a year isn't a big deal. If someone wants to moderate normal servings only a few times a year that's their choice as well. At least the 1000+ is relating to waht someone ELSE said re: splurging a few times a year. Which is not the same as daily/regular moderation.

That's not what that post says. it says a brownie. Several times a year. With added exercise. I'm just wondering if everyone is on the same page with "moderation".

Moderation, to me, means moderating what one eats. Don't eat 1000 cal over your goal every day or you will gain weight. OR it means, you can eat anything within reason by eating a smaller portion, exercising more that day etc. Basically, my post was just a bit jokey and trying to say going over by 1000 calories very rarely, will be ok. I didn't mean have a brownie a few times a year, but going over a few times a year by that much shouldn't impact overall weight loss. I could be wrong though!
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    OP you can always pre log and build your day around the brownies, I do that sometimes...?
    I do this, and it's a great idea! Especially helpful if you're looking at going out to dinner or something, where you know there will be high-calorie foods. Great tip! :D

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Moderation, to me, means moderating what one eats. Don't eat 1000 cal over your goal every day or you will gain weight. OR it means, you can eat anything within reason by eating a smaller portion, exercising more that day etc. Basically, my post was just a bit jokey and trying to say going over by 1000 calories very rarely, will be ok. I didn't mean have a brownie a few times a year, but going over a few times a year by that much shouldn't impact overall weight loss. I could be wrong though!
    Thanks for posting this. This makes more sense to me.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Eat the brownie and go to the gym and work it off!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MezaEza wrote: »
    100 calories brownies (or less if you don't add the nuts!) http://www.thelondoner.me/2013/04/100-cal-chocofudge-brownies.html

Might try those with sugar... I hate Truvia. I'd have to buy yogurt though... I've been scared of trying the bean brownies too... Maybe I'll bite the bullet one of these days.

Cheesecake is worth it though, with all the fat from the cream cheese in there it's actually filling. Same for pizza, or burgers etc... Brownies? Not so much :(

But for now the craving is actually gone, thankfully... but we'll see what the week end brings. I haven't managed to keep a big deficit so far this week though so I need to try not to overdo it...
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why would that not be moderation?

I just don't think everyone is using the word the same way. (assuming this is a reply to my question).

My version of moderation is once I'm close to my protein and fat macro I can have the other 1200 calories of mderated ice cream or brownies or whatever.
  • HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What about a brownie quest protein bar?
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I agree. I know I can easily eat less of a tasty thing but then I still want more of something else and I go over my allotment. If I just eat the thing (and more of it) that I should have eaten, I'll have more energy and I'll feel better.

I don't bake anymore. I don't plan anything sandwichy anymore. I even eat chicken fajita mixture without the wrap. I'd rather have more of the filling and less of the carby thing.
  • Yodee
    Yodee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am still in the early stages of losing weight but what I have found (in my mind anyhow) is that my weigh in day is Friday morning so if I choose to splurge on Friday night or Saturday I tell myself I have all week to "work it off". Only problem is I now find it hard to splurge lol although now I am "seriously" craving brownies!
  • NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I lol'd at this post. And not because I'm hateful. But because i'm having the same problem with girl scout cookies. I really want to just slam them against the wall. But then I also want to eat them. Samoas, Thin Mints, and Tagalongs are my favorite. I am short and thin (I lost 20lbs using MFP), so I get to hardly have any unless I want to work my butt off later for them. And I don't always feel like doing that lol. And since they don't have very much nutritional value it just ends up being a waste eating two cookies with no satisfaction lol. The struggle is real. And it's a pain in the butt.

HATE girl scout cookie season, because my daughter sells them and has super high goals for sales. So, that relates to us having cases upon cases of every kind of cookie lined up in my basement. Makes me sad that I know I shouldn't eat them all!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    beets4us wrote: »
    Another idea. You can buy/make brownies, keep a couple for yourself, and bring the rest to work/school/ect. I love to bake, but having a whole batch of cookies in the house with just me is a binge disaster waiting to happen! However, if I'm really getting the urge, I'll be "that coworker" and leave most of them in the break room the next day.

I do this. When I'm invited to a party or dinner, I bring dessert. Usually, I make peanut butter pretzel brownies. I'll have a couple while I'm there, and leave the rest behind. Otherwise, my husband and I will polish off an entire pan in two days or less.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    There is also a recipe for vegan black bean brownies. They make a sort of adequate substitute, but I'm not sure they're any lighter on the calories. (My roommate wanted flourless chocolate brownies).

I don't do vegan cooking, so I used eggs instead of the flax seeds, but I think this is the recipe I started with.

Google "Black Bean Brownies" and you will find several recipes.

http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-gluten-free-black-bean-brownies/

Whole Foods also have a vegan (I think), gluten free brownie bite. My roommate loves those. Again, I'm not sure about the calorie hit, because I don't eat them.

Chocolate covered Katie dot com has a black bean brownie recipe. The pan equals 12 brownies and they are 115 calories each.