Sometimes moderation just isn't even worth it..

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I think a big part of this process and moderation is adjusting our mentality of what a portion is. Sure, a small piece is not nearly as satisfying as a large piece. To me a small piece is better than nothing. Two slices of pizza is not nearly as satisfying as an entire pizza, but two slices is better than nothing. Planning those treats in advance helps you prepare for the amount you will be eating and it will make it more satisfying.

This. I'd rather have half a brownie (or two slices of pizza) than no brownie. Or pizza.

One slice of pizza is plenty satisfying for me. Two bites of brownie isn't. Big difference, lol.

I look at it like some things are worth it to you and some things aren't. Some things I'm willing to almost half-starve myself for the rest of the day for, in order to fit them in. Other things are totally not worth the suffering I'd have to do to fit them in. Everybody has their own idea of what's worth it. Apparently brownies are not worth it to you. That's ok. Carrot cake is hardly ever worth it to me. Staying in your calories just shows you what you really love most.

P.S. - The brownie brittle is awesome!

I can't starve myself. I get sick and dizzy and it's just not possible. I don't handle hunger well at all, and it kinda sucks when you're trying to lose weight, frankly...
    What about a brownie quest protein bar?

Nope. I like Quest bars but I don't remember being impressed with those at all.

I'm going out for lunch now though, and I should have 800ish spare calories today (without counting the ones I have 'banked' if needed), so heck, we'll see.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that brownies break my heart. I love them so much, and they just do not fit into my calories. Why do they have to be so wonderful??
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Now I want to stop at Wegmans and get a pan of brownies. I love them so.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - consider the opposite of your post...would it be better to just restrict everything that you think is too high calorie or 'bad" and never eat it???? I think the middle ground is the best ground, but that is just my opinion...
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Now I want to stop at Wegmans and get a pan of brownies. I love them so.

Speaking of things that break my heart, I went to college in a town with Wegmans and now live 1000 miles away from the nearest one. Weggies, why can't you come to the Midwest?
  • GreenMantle
    GreenMantle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that's the power of making your own. With stuff like brownies, you can probably cut the calories down significantly by cutting/substituting the sugar and fat.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I feel the same about cake. I don't want a 2x2 piece of cake for 150 calories. I want a friggin' monster size piece that I can enjoy, but not for 500+ calories! UGH!!!
  • hellcaterika
    hellcaterika Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I live for these Flaming Hot Cheetos here in the U.S. but when I read the calories I think " I have to run how long to burn this off?" Not worth it for sure! A few years back when I lost weight it got to the point where I would steal a chip off someone and I DIDN'T even like the fake cheese, processed taste anymore. Your body really does get use to eating better and all the fake, high calorie stuff tastes bad. Do you have access to fiber brownies? There's one brand, Fiber One, that has 90 cal fiber brownies and satisfies me when I need a brownie.
  • novalh42
    novalh42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There is a gentleman on here and when he knows he is going to have a "not so good" meal or day he will walk (his main exercise) off the calories in advance of the "treat". So instead of having the treat and then busting your butt to burn it off he burns it first. Works for him. I have a secondary issue of being a diabetic and my numbers have been WAY to high so I am off all sweets. And its Valentines day and my daughters birthday next month! Have a great day everyone!
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    OP - Have you tried the fiber one brownies? They are pretty good for 90 calories. I personally like the crunchy edges so Sheila G's Brownie Brittle is awesome too for 120 calories a serving. If I am low on protein, a warmed up double chocolate chunk Quest bar is a good choice - it is fudgy and very chocolatey like a brownie (160 calories and 20 grams of protein, 17 grams of fiber!). When I am trying to satisfy my cravings whilst staying within my calories, those are my go-tos for brownie cravings.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    140 calories for eight. I know, not the same.
    00159CL.GIF

These are great if you are craving OREOS - or crumble a couple over vanilla frozen yogurt for cookies 'n cream!
  • shufflewick71
    shufflewick71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I could happily sit and scoff chocolate all day long, and could have done years ago without gaining a pound, but my slow, middle aged body says 'no' these days, sadly.

It sucks, I agree. Moderation is damned hard to achieve, especially when our sweet tooth is screaming at us. I am a biscuit and sweet freak. I now carefully study the calorific and fat contents like Sherlock Holmes, and there are sneaky treats that satisfy and are still not totally naughty.

My UK favourites are Marks &Spencer Ginger Snaps and Mcvities Jaffa Cakes. Ginger Snaps are 35 calories each and Jaffa Cakes 46 calories, and at least I can get my choc fix with the Jaffa Cake!

In saying this, it takes mammoth will power not to eat the whole box, as opposed to just one or two!

• andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    OP I feel you. I'm close to my goal weight too and the deficit I can sustain is only 1-200 cal a day. that means I lose a little over ONE POUND A MONTH. And I'm hungry almost all of the time, except for maybe the first hour after a meal. Changes are so slow and so subtle that getting into the mindset of "it's only 500 cal, it won't make a difference" actually does make a difference. That brownie splurge would erase my deficit for 2-3 days. And that's hard. And sometimes its just more conducive to your long term goals to put things back and feel unsatisfied. And that's ok. So let me commiserate in your sadness. Because I'm sad too.

Also when you are hungry a lot, its like a constant low grade stress and all of the decisions you make during the day to stay within your caloric goals add up and deplete your ability to handle that stress. And stuff gets harder to resist and if you've used up your tank of willpower for the day and now it's the evening and you are looking at brownies in the grocery store it's very easy to say, "well, just eat one..or half of one" but actually that can be pretty hard to do. Personally, once I decide to eat a bit of whatever it is, I end up eating more than I originally intended. I have to have all of my calories for the day, including dinner and evening snacks pre-thought out because I am so fatigued from being hungry and making the choices that will result in a deficit all day long that I'm done.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    So you didn't actually moderate?
    And now you are sad.
    Ok.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    HugeBum wrote: »
    I agree- all the people on here who are like "fit the food you love into your goals" if you're happy to eat a sliver of pizza and a teaspoon of ice cream, well done, but I find it hard to work in a reasonable amount to satisfy, given how unfilling these foods generally are. I find it easier to avoid them altogether because I am just not a person who does anything by halfs.

I often practice avoidance because I also want the whole darn thing.

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Agree with you, OP, and the person who said "who wants four chicken wings?"

This is the reason I'll argue with the fast-fooders all day long. They'll say, "Why miss out on McDonald's and cheesecake and pizza, I can fit it into my calories...." Riiiiiiiiight, you can fit one of those meals into your day and then suffer the rest of the day by hardly having anything to eat. Maybe their stomachs and hunger cues working differently than I, but when I'm exercising like a *kitten*, I'm hungry all of the time.

Anyway, I feel your pain, OP, and am about to make myself stay under calories through the weekend, which means healthy food and probably no wine or beer. Boo!
  • mztoyahall
    mztoyahall Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I so understand this post. I'm still trying to grasp the moderation thing when it's not satisfying in the end. :( I'm in the beginning stages and it's hard. Hopefully you will find a substitute :)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    HugeBum wrote: »
    I agree- all the people on here who are like "fit the food you love into your goals" if you're happy to eat a sliver of pizza and a teaspoon of ice cream, well done, but I find it hard to work in a reasonable amount to satisfy, given how unfilling these foods generally are. I find it easier to avoid them altogether because I am just not a person who does anything by halfs.

I often practice avoidance because I also want the whole darn thing.

Oh I like that. Practice avoidance. It's easier for me than practicing moderation.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Try this brownie recipe too - no stevia/truvia; uses honey and applesauce. http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fit/lose-weight/ultimate-healthy-fudge-brownie
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I could happily sit and scoff chocolate all day long, and could have done years ago without gaining a pound, but my slow, middle aged body says 'no' these days, sadly.

It sucks, I agree. Moderation is damned hard to achieve, especially when our sweet tooth is screaming at us. I am a biscuit and sweet freak. I now carefully study the calorific and fat contents like Sherlock Holmes, and there are sneaky treats that satisfy and are still not totally naughty.

My UK favourites are Marks &Spencer Ginger Snaps and Mcvities Jaffa Cakes. Ginger Snaps are 35 calories each and Jaffa Cakes 46 calories, and at least I can get my choc fix with the Jaffa Cake!

In saying this, it takes mammoth will power not to eat the whole box, as opposed to just one or two!
    I had my first Jaffa cakes when I bought a box at an international market last weekend. Thankfully, I had someone to share them with but I still ate 6 of them that day. They are very tasty!