It is unlikely that you will lose weight consistently (i.e., weight loss is not linear)

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    grnice39 wrote: »
    Great post! What is the best way to measure fat loss, do you just mean taking measurements?

In theory it would be body composition, i.e. percentage of body fat. But in practice, that's very hard to measure accurately.

So yeah, measurements are a good gauge. So is how your clothes fit. Or how long you can run or how much weight you can lift or how winded you are at the top of the stairs. Or a million other things that show you that you're on the right track.

The scale will catch up. Trust the process.
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Good. strait-talk. Realistic advise.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    +1,000. Great post
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    fitchlets wrote: »
    Thank you! I'm the newbie who started on Jan 1st and have been the same weight for almost 5 days and am about to lose my mind. And then, I read THIS. So thank you!

p.s. down 20.04 pounds down :)

Since Jan 1st? Great work and nice results!

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I *officially* started in mid November and saw my first gain. Boo! +0.6 lb this week. Oh well, moving on. I was stalled for a while in December so it's not like I've been losing the whole time. But why give up now? 13 lbs down!

BTW this was a nice post :)
    fitchlets wrote: »
    Thank you! I'm the newbie who started on Jan 1st and have been the same weight for almost 5 days and am about to lose my mind. And then, I read THIS. So thank you!

p.s. down 20.04 pounds down :)
    You have no idea how much I needed to read this today! Thank you so much! I was seriously thinking about just giving up and buying bigger pants. I will trudge on......

I didn't get to quote everybody but you are doing great. Once upon a time, I would gear myself up to lose weight and then do absolutely nothing about it. A few months later, I'd look back and think of the potential progress that I'd let go to waste. Now, when I'm having a rough patch, I look back to the beginning of 2014 and see how far I've come. It really does help to look at that big picture when thinking about your progress.
  • emmavagg
    emmavagg Posts: 27 Member
    Excellent post thank you :)
  • jemhh
    techreyes wrote: »
    I am only a few weeks into this particular journey but this one post has really put things in perspective at the most crucial moment. Its the moment of the first time a child on a long journey says: "Are we there yet? When are we gonna get there?". I have decided to be patient. I am also going to bookmark this post for when I want to ask those same questions again. Great words. Thanks.

I'm glad that you found it helpful. Keep on plugging along and you can do it.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Very true. I've been doing this for several years and my weight loss has sort of a scalloped pattern--I lose 8-10 pounds, maintain at a new weight for quite a while, then go down again.

You can be doing everything right and not be able to see that on the scale right away. These things take patience!
  • lennonluvr
    lennonluvr Posts: 31 Member
    Thank you so much for this. Really I needed this.

I have stalled in weight loss, but then I measured myself. I have lost three inches in my waist and 2.25 inches in my hips.

It does show me that I am doing something even if the darn scale doesn't agree.
  • jemhh
    edited February 2015
    BFDeal wrote: »
    • Focus on fat loss rather than weight loss. Consider doing some sort of strength training and eating an appropriate level of protein in order to maintain as much muscle as possible while losing weight. This will give you another aspect of fitness to focus on and is may help you get closer to the physique goals that you may have.
    • Measure your progress by other means--use a tape measure to measure your waist, hip, thigh, etc. and then track the changes
    So wouldn't your weight go down if you were losing fat? And if you're getting smaller measurement wise wouldn't your weight being going down? I never understand these statements though they're pretty common. I mean it can't be muscle gains in either case. All people do is say how you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

You can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. The much repeated mantra that it isn't possible is false for "overfat" beginners, which describes most people who are starting out on MFP.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Thank you, I really needed this today, and I'm going to write it out and put it up on my wall.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Great post!