I think I've plateaued

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine only eating half a cup of oatmeal, what a tease :dizzy_face:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Fat is good for you. Don't be afraid of it.

Definitely! ! You have to eat fat to lose fat. Obviously by sticking to your goal calories
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    Here's the solution to your plateu: EAT MORE. It will reset your body's metabolism. One reason you may be "plateuing" is that your body has slowed down your metabolism, gone into survival mode, and is storing everything it can.

I really don't know why people keep posting this advice. It's clearly not true.

"Survival mode" is a myth. You're not starving yourself unless you are REALLY starving. Not a term to use lightly when you look around the world and see people who are actually starving.

"Resetting your metabolism" is a myth. There's no ctrl-alt-del reboot switch on a body's metabolism.
    There's nothing "clear" about what you just posted. Survival mode and starvation mode are real. It doesn't mean your body magically finds calories where there are none, but our bodies are adaptive machines. When it doesn't get enough food for a sustained period of time, it absolutely tries to save energy wherever it can: it feels more sluggish, metabolism slows down, and you burn energy at a lower rate during regular activities (measured exercise notwithstanding). Someone at peak metabolism burns more calories standing, walking, sitting and sleeping than someone in starvation mode.

As for resetting metabolism, that's real too. No it's not like restarting your laptop. It's more like slowly readjusting and retraining the body to expect more food - hence it takes two weeks of maintenance level eating and not one binge session.

That posting by Segacs is very clear, and spot on.

Starvation mode is a myth as to the common dieter. To be in starvation mode, you must be emaciated and have lost a certain percentage of body fat and muscle. People who are fat or overweight, of normal weight, don't get starvation mode. Have you studied the Minnesota Starvation Experiment?

In the normal world of dieting, people telling others to stop starving themselves simply means to eat more. It in no way relates to starvation mode.

Resetting metabolism is a myth too. If your metabolism stops, you're dead. If it slows down, there is a medical issue that needs attention. However, it does not need to be "reset".

The only requirement to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. That's it. Everything else, such as diet type, food restriction, exercise, drinking tea teas, standing on your head while eating jelly beans, is preference only.
    Which has A LOT to do with your metabolism. Your metabolism doesn't have to "stop" in order for it to slow down. Your metabolism adapts to the input your body is getting as well the output you're performing. Yes, metabolism does slow down when the body doesn't get enough fuel. You can call that a medical issue, and if it is, it is caused by not eating enough.

As for starvation mode, it's absolutely real, including in fat people. We're not talking about famine-type starvation. We're talking about a big enough slowdown in metabolism that you begin to see a diminished effect on weight loss from dieting.

Again, that's not because things now suddenly take fewer calories to perform than they did before, but there's a rule of physics (since everyone here thinks they are a science expert and I actually DID study physics) that input energy is ALWAYS greater than output energy. That's because of energy loss. I can exert 100 calories to do something that only requires 60 calories to do. There's a 40 calorie loss. But that "loss" is a gain when you're trying to lose weight. I may be able to exert only 80 calories and still do that work (let's say it's opening 10 cans of jars) since it only takes 60 calories to do, but I just lost out on using that extra 20 calories.

Another way metabolism slowdown reduces energy expenditure is by making one feel lethargic and simply doing less. It may not always be noticeable in your day-to-day life but it's still happening.
    Okay, I'll bite.

Site peer reviewed studies for your claims, please.

Here you go.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

She's is using the term starvation mode as "adaptive thermogensis" and she is correct. You'll find various references in that thread on what it actually is, how it works and what diet pauses do. Although I dislike the term "starvation mode" and "metabolic reset" there is in fact a metabolic slow down during long diet periods that isn't due to the loss of lean mass and taking a pause in restriction does improve metabolic hormonal response (aka "reset"). And it occurs in all dieters - not just people actually starving.

No, saying starvation mode and adaptive thermogenesis is the same thing is not correct.

That is exactly how she is using it and various scientific articles have used the term interchangeably - so, yes, sometimes it is. See the references posted in that thread.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options

It depends whether it's a 1/2 cup cooked or dry. 1/2 cup dry yields one cup cooked. Irregardless, she's still not eating enough.

• SammyBlz1
    Options

rosebette wrote: »

It depends whether it's a 1/2 cup cooked or dry. 1/2 cup dry yields one cup cooked. Irregardless, she's still not eating enough.

Its already cooked.

And I don't have an eating disorder any more.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    SammyBlz1 wrote: »
    Why did you change your goal from 130 to 120?

I like the way my body is starting to look and I wish to be leaner. I used to be 120 my freshman year of highschool and gained a bunch of weight because of bad eating habits. I have decided this is a lifestyle change I need to keep.

You were a child your freshman year of high school. You're a young woman now and young women have different bodies than children. :)

• lhama83
    lhama83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I wanted to share my experience with weight loss and plateaus. From 17 stone down to 10 it's been a stuggle for me. it wasn't until I read about re-calculating the amount of calories you eat as you loose weight to prevent the weight loss from suddenly stopping that I finally prevented plateaus from happening. Every 6lb lost you reduce intake by about 40-50 cals. my goal is another stone but I stopped losing about 2 weeks ago on 1200 cals per day. I've dropped to 1000cals and lost 2lb this week. I've had to use fortified shakes and meals to ensure I get enough protein, vitamins etc as its so low. I've reach day four and the hunger has gone to so I can get through this last stretch to reach my goal. I believe the last part is the hardest to shift so it's about finding what works for you. Eating very little like me can be risky for some but with common sense it's ok for me. Oh and exercise is extremely light at the mo the plan is once I've hit my goal I'll be increasing intake to maintain and getting back to the gym to improve on composition. Good luck and don't give up x ps you look pretty fab already great work on the weight loss for far
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Its already cooked.

You have thigh-gap and still insist on working out to extremes and eating less. Your thinking is clouded. At least prioritize eating more and doing weights instead of cardio. You don't need to be losing more, you need to be toning but ALSO eating more. If you have the time to workout twice a day, you have the time to eat more.
  • amf0324
    amf0324 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    40 pounds in 4 months? Holy shamoly....
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    lhamaza wrote: »
    I wanted to share my experience with weight loss and plateaus. From 17 stone down to 10 it's been a stuggle for me. it wasn't until I read about re-calculating the amount of calories you eat as you loose weight to prevent the weight loss from suddenly stopping that I finally prevented plateaus from happening. Every 6lb lost you reduce intake by about 40-50 cals. my goal is another stone but I stopped losing about 2 weeks ago on 1200 cals per day. I've dropped to 1000cals and lost 2lb this week. I've had to use fortified shakes and meals to ensure I get enough protein, vitamins etc as its so low. I've reach day four and the hunger has gone to so I can get through this last stretch to reach my goal. I believe the last part is the hardest to shift so it's about finding what works for you. Eating very little like me can be risky for some but with common sense it's ok for me. Oh and exercise is extremely light at the mo the plan is once I've hit my goal I'll be increasing intake to maintain and getting back to the gym to improve on composition. Good luck and don't give up x ps you look pretty fab already great work on the weight loss for far

You are just encouraging OP in her undereating and overfocusing on her body. Basically, she should just be giving up food and using shakes and supplements to get her nutrition? Then, once she reaches the goal, how is she going to maintain it?
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    amf0324 wrote: »

The figure isn't all that bad. It's how she GOT there. I've lost almost 50lbs in 5 1/2 months, but my start weight was 262lbs and I'm still in the 200's.

For her, it's extreme exercise and dieting.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options

The figure isn't all that bad. It's how she GOT there. I've lost almost 50lbs in 5 1/2 months, but my start weight was 262lbs and I'm still in the 200's.

I've worked a lot to lose this weight.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

Its already cooked.

Yes you do.
    I dont.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    lhamaza wrote: »

Thanks girl! You look fantastic too!
    I honestly don't think I can go down in calories. Im actually trying to increase them a little based on my intense activity level.
    I workout twice a day. Once in the morning with weights and cardio in the evening.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options

Its already cooked.

You have thigh-gap and still insist on working out to extremes and eating less. Your thinking is clouded. At least prioritize eating more and doing weights instead of cardio. You don't need to be losing more, you need to be toning but ALSO eating more. If you have the time to workout twice a day, you have the time to eat more.

I dont have a thigh gap really. Its just how my legs look, they touch if my knees are together so not a thigh gap.
    Im doing weights. And trying to eat more.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    You may not have a full blown eating disorder, but something is definitely amiss here. Please don't take this the wrong way, but your relationship with food and your thoughts surrounding it are not "normal"
  • ogmomma2012
    Options

I've worked a lot to lose this weight.

I get that, and believe me I'm not trying to make you out to be a bad person. The scenario you are giving is REALLY worrisome. That you have to come here for advice when you already know the answers is troublesome in itself. You know you aren't eating enough. But you excuse it away by blaming stress when you already seem to blow a lot of your time burning calories that could be building you muscle. You -have- time to prepare meals and eat more. You choose to workout instead. I get that your perception of yourself is skewed because of your past, and because YES, you have worked hard and don't want to lose progress. But don't deny that you are over doing the exercise.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I echo that.

Sammy, you need to get some help. You are obsessing over your weight loss, food, etc., which screams eating disorder relapse. Please get some help.