WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Kim - Congratulations on your 1 year MFP anniversary! 30 lbs in 10 months is an awesome achievement. I like what you have set yourself as the next steps.

I have not caught up on all posts yet, but will one of these days.

Meanwhile, I wish everyone a fabulous Valentine's day. <3

Renny
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Had a lot of reading to catch up on but finally got there. Very cold here today and should be again tomorrow but supposed to warm up slightly next week. Exercise is going well, need to up my miles per day though to meet my goal of 110 by the end of the month. Eating has been good this week, worked a couple of small cookies into my calorie count for today.

cherys - I have a medical condition that causes my body to produce extra vitamin D so had to ditch the multi. I am now taking B-complex, C, magnesium and calcium on the advice of a registered dietician. The dose of Bs is higher than before and I have noticed an increase in energy and less difficulty when going off prednisone which I am on periodically.
    -
    Katla - I got the Dole chocolate covered strawberries in the frozen food section of my grocery store with the fruit.

Cindy - I often do a salad for lunch with greens, turkey, dried cranberries, pecans and just a drizzle of light blue cheese dressing. Are you doing prehap for the knees? I can tell you from experience that it makes a difference in recovery. Ask your doc for a PT referral for this.

Michele - I hope you enjoy playing the " Crazy Cat Lady Game"! If you look at the top of the box that is a picture of my DD. She works for the company that makes the game. I have an autographed gameboard and my DGD thinks it is really cool to have her aunt on the box. My DD really is a crazy cat lady, she has three now down from five. Her cat Spyke was the model for the cat unicorn horn made by the same company.

Everyone take care, Sue in SD
  • pam_felt
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to Myfitnesspal and could really use some encouragement and motivation. I am at the end of an 8 week recovery from foot surgery so really need to get back to being mobile. My goal is to loose 40 pounds and that sounds sooo hard. I have been in denial about being diabetic for a few years so I need to find the right foods to eat (well, I actually know what to eat, it's just eating them!) I work in an office with 4 other women and they keep a big bowl of chocolate and there are always donuts and cake and cookies.... My willpower is definately tested at work. I'm excited about having folks to talk to about my ups and downs and look forward to your advice.

Pam
    Mineral Wells, Tx as inconsistent a place as one can live. It is currently 77 degrees and tomorrow we expect freezing rain and a high in the 20s.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    We have an 'appetizer' fellowship tomorrow after church and I finally decided to make a savory tomato/artichoke heart tart from the Diabetes D-Tour book. Looks really pretty, so I hope it tastes as good as it looks. Ricotta cheese, eggs, seasonings, cornstarch plus the added veggies. I didn't have ground flax seed for the bottom 'crust', so I ground up some sun flower kernels and didn't add salt to the cheese mix.

This afternoon was the grocery store trip. DH works in a grocery pharmacy and seems to shop every day, but this was stocking up on staple pantry items, etc. He is traveling this weekend and before my run to the store I purged a number of things from the pantry, fridge and freezer. He wants to keep everything, never wanting to acknowledge it is way past reasonable to eat, so I'm the one who pitches old items. My basic premise is that if I can't identify it or it is looking icky, it goes out. Its time to reinstate my fish rule with him: if we aren't eating it TONIGHT, don't buy it.

Well, time to go finish up something else I have to take to church tomorrow for the children's sermon. Have a good night --

Gail, metro ATL
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday. I cannot stay crying too much. We have promised Mildred beagle we are going to the vet Monday. She can hardly drink or eat, sneezing blood and full of lumps and bumps. We tried everything but time to let her rest in peace. We have chosen where she will rest. We will take her to Ulverstone for one last walk in a place she loves so much.
    She is 12 and given me so much fun
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    inside track- 55min, run, skip, scissors, fast walk, etc., 3.5mi = 472cal
    rowing machine- 35min, 35min, 144 average watts (power), 7874meters = 250cal
    bike ride hm 2 top o tacoma bar- 12.04min, 12.5amph, 2.5miles = 137cal
    bike ride top o tacoma bar 2 REI- 17.14min, 10.3mi, 3miles = 156cal
    bike ride REI 2 hm- 5.19min, 10.02amph, 1mile = 53cal
    total cal 1068
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    Lestan48 wrote: »
    Sunday. I cannot stay crying too much. We have promised Mildred beagle we are going to the vet Monday. She can hardly drink or eat, sneezing blood and full of lumps and bumps. We tried everything but time to let her rest in peace. We have chosen where she will rest. We will take her to Ulverstone for one last walk in a place she loves so much.

Sending you lots of love ... and a hug from all of us here,... nobody will ever be able to replace her.. but remember all the wonderful times you had with her... she will join ours, Bart, Barney ,Yukon ,Molly and Snowball over the rainbow bridge <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options

:'(:'( Lesley and Mildred, I am so sorry......I know you will make the most of your day together.

<3 Barbie

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Oh Lesley, I am crying with you… my levi came to see what was wrong, he sends his love to… I am so sad, but know you have done everything possible and are making sure that Mildred doesn’t suffer… (((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))

Feb. goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Lesley ... sending you hugs ...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options

I am so sorry, my heart is with you we put our rocky down at home it was one of the hardest days of our lives.. Have peace in knowing there will be no more pain
    . 0qcrk1k1tguw.jpg
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone! I hope you all had a great day!

The kids came over for dinner. I made heart-shaped meatloaf, oven roasted red potatoes, green bean casserole and Rhoades dinner rolls, plus we had tomatoes and strawberries. I made baked rosemary chicken for myself, and had some potatoes before we put the salt on for everyone else. It was yummy, but I'm feeling like I over-exerted a little bit, as I'm awfully tired. They've gone home now, and hubby is napping, so I have some time to relax. The cleanup will have to wait till tomorrow.

Here is today's joke of the day:

:)

Bob's a factory worker, and one day, the boss is showing a bunch of Japanese investors around the factory. One of them sees Bob, and they promptly exchange handshakes and start talking like long lost friends. Afterwards, Bob's boss asks him what that was about. Bob just replies 'oh, I know him from a few years back, I actually know a lot of important people.'

His boss is sceptical, but Bob replies: 'Tell you what, name anyone you can think off, I bet you that they know me.' 'Fine,' says his boss, and he's determined to have Bob be embarrassed, so he decides to put the bar high: 'President Obama.' 'Cool, no problem,' says Bob.

A week later they're both standing outside the White House, and Obama comes out, spots Bob and goes "Bob? What are you doing here? Come in, bring your friend, let's have a drink together." Bobs boss has no clue how, but somehow Bob and the president are friends. Once they leave his boss goes 'Fine, you know the president, but I bet you don't know the pope'.

Bob accepts the challenge, and the next week they're standing in Saint Peters square. 'This isn't gonna work, he's never going to see me here when there's this much people. You stay here, I'll go talk to him and you'll see me on the balcony, the guards know me too.' Half an hour later, Bob and the pope appear side by side on the balcony. Bobs boss gets a heart attack, and Bob goes to visit him in the hospital.

'What happened? Did you not expect me to actually know the pope?' 'No, it wasn't that, I sort of expected that to happen. But there was a tourist next to me that asked 'Who's the guy in his pajamas standing next to Bob there?'

:D

Good night!

Sylvia
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    I'm mad at my fitbit. It won't work off the charger. On the charger, syncs right up. Off the charger -- nothing. I've tried restarting - nope!

I'll keep trying the restart trick all weekend. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll call the company on Monday.

I am so attached to that thing and was so excited that I had just bought my daughter one.

DH says he guesses I'll just have to buy me a really long extension cord. Bless him, he is so helpful!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Lesley,sending hugs
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Lesley and Mildred - my heart goes out to you. We will be praying for both of you.

Mary from Minnesota
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Greetings all you lovely ladies. I got back from the cruise this afternoon. We had a wonderful time even though the water was a little choppy. We didn’t get to stop at one island, because of it as the ship doesn’t dock there, but transports passengers on tenders and it was unsafe. It just gave us a longer day in Grand Turk and we had a great time there and got in some sun bathing. I still look like a fat lady in my swim suit, but felt so much better than last year. I did a terrible time with my food but made healthy choices much of the time. I won’t weigh until in the morning to see what the damage is.
    There were 364 posts when I logged on. I have skimmed most of them except for the last two pages. It’s late and I have to get to bed. I just wanted to check in and tell you how much I missed you.
    Congrats to those with victories and condolences to those that need them. I’m happy to be back with you.
    Welcome to any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I hope you all had a lovely Valentine’s Day. <3

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    #2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Leslie, hugs to you and Mildred. I'm so sorry.

Sylvia
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Janet in Myrtle Beach - glad you are back and enjoyed your cruise!

Mary from Minnesota

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Diana - great pic of you and your dog.

pip - great pic. Thanks for sharing.

barbie - that's how I can post pics from my phone. I email it to myself then save it to my computer and then I can post it here.

kim - lovely valentine

kim - happy MFP anniversary. Sending you a virtual anniversary rose (made of strawberry). I've been here so long that I honestly don't remember the exact day I started. Echo what Renny said to you

Sue in SD - your dd is on the box! Now how cool is that????? We had fun playing the game. Honestly, it wasn't a game that I felt I could play for hours and hours, but we had fun

Pam from TX - welcome! You CAN do this, and we'll be here each step of the way for you

Gail - what is the Diabetes D-Tour book? Is that a book you can buy in the book store, or something that you got as a fundraiser for some organization?

Lesley - my heart is with you. It's so hard to lose a beloved pet, but know in your heart that you did more for Mildred than most people would have done

You know, I remember years ago when Vince's parents would come to visit us, his father would religiously watch "The Weather Channel". I couldn't understand it. Now, I swear Vince is so much like his father. The second we came back to the hotel, the first (and only) thing he turned on the TV was "The Weather Channel". He had it on earlier today

Don't ask me to explain it, but all day today and last night I've had this "yukky" feeling in my stomach -- like I overate. I didn't today, but I can't seem to get rid of this feeling.

Well, it's COLD here in VA. Probably feels colder since we're not really used to it being so cold. Ut oh, I feel a hot flash coming on! Good time for one, I must say. The minute we got back to the hotel, I got a cup of hot water from the lobby for tea. It's hotter in the lobby than in the room.

Vince says we'll leave around 10 tomorrow. Unless it's really cold, then we'll wait just so the roads warm up some. He's thinking about starting the car during the night, he's concerned about the antifreeze. Personally, I think he's being overly-cautious. When we left, for the first time ever, he wanted me to lock out the stove so, according to him, the cats couldn't accidentally turn on the burner. Really, in order to do that you have to push the button pretty hard, a cat couldn't possibly do that. So I just locked it out, made him happy and what harm was done?

Michele from NC in VA right now.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Heather did I read that right that you have to go down 2 flights of stairs just to go potty??? Do you all have your own showers? I would have checked into that fancy hotel you walked down to for your meal. Your guide is a keeper. So he is your ow [ersonal guide? What is the name of your travel company?

Lillian Yes, you need to put that on your bucket list, on the top to do now. I looked up where you live and I was all feeling so sorry for you becuase I thought your province was further north. You are right on our border.

Allison so your husband really lied this vanity and he is OK with paying that amount. That's all nice and good but what if it had been one that you had really, really wanted. I guess I'm being mean right now. I thought of all you girls who live over on the east coast today when I put a sweatshirt that has a polar bear on it. Right now we have finally dipped into the negative degrees. Temp is 12 with a wind chill of -2. I have these fake under armor that I bought at Sam's Club. They sure make a difference in how I feel. So I have to make sure the top I pick tomorrow for church will go with my under armor top.

Jolenec I jsut have to ask you about your crochet. Is what he is laying on meant for him or did he just take it over so he could have cuddle time with you. If it isn't for him, what is the intended final desing supposed to be. It looks very intricate

Michele you do so well in just saying to yourself that you don't need something, why don't you just write to your frineds and tell them that you don't drink beer or wine anymore so they can expect that there is none in the house

Diane my Mom used o make breaded slamon patties with some sort of cream sauce that was so good. I can still taste them now. I haven't found any that are better or even as good as hers. I believe she used crumbled corn flakes. Absolutely loved the pic of both you and the dog.

Kim your dog looks like he is making sure you don't close that door. That is his house and his patio also!

Pam welcome! You need to put out your own bowl of goodies and show them the right things to eat. The little pretzels, almonds, dark chocolate, etc. I was having problems not accepting it emotionally but nutritionally when my doctor told me I was prediabetic. I just aid to myself that I wasn't diabetic yet. But he had me on Metformin for several years. He said it would help me in my urge in craving carbohydrates. Yeah, right. So I was just frank with him one day. I said that my bloood sugars are always in the 110 range and I am already on Metformin. So am I still prediabetic or I am i Diabetic 2 now. He had to kind of thinnk about it but he said he would have to say that I did have Diabetes 2. That's all I needed to hear. But I needed to hear him say that diabetic word. So with Medicare it got me in all the right classes I needed to go to and a free meter. Good luck with it. Between my MS, chronic high blood pressure, diabetes, at 64 I have already had 2 cataracts removed, have some kidney damage and I am sure that whatever damaged my kidneys is already working on my heart and brain

Leslie I am so sorry about Mildred beagle. You know we willl all be there Monday for you. On another forum I am on we have what we call 'pocket pals'. It comes from the old saying that whe soem one is in need of something, jsut reach in your back pocket and I am there for you. So I will be your pocket pal Monday. We put our beloved Buddy down a good many years ago. He couldn't harldy walk, eat, do his eliminations. So I fixed a nice basket with his blanket for him to lay in while he rode in the back seat with my daughter. But when we left to go to the vet he got u[, wa;lded himself to the car, Michelle did have to put him in the car. But whenwe got there, he hopped out, walked in and had his tail wgging. He knew his pain from all his tumors would soon be over and he would be with his best friend Sissy and many other wonderful friends soon.

Well my daughter finally got word of when my grand dauhgter's musical is. It's next Friday evening at 7 PM. It's about time it was announced. I told my dauhger if I were on the school board she would be fired but Christina said she is a volunteer but yes she is a disorganized person. So we will be doing one of our 1 day trips to go down there. We usually leave around 11 AM, get there 2:30 PM, performance is 7 but it gives us a chance to see the family and take them all to supper. But we will have to leave to come home right after. Another night of getting in at midnight. That's hard on my MS but it's well worth it.

Joyce, Indiana