Do you absorb all the calories when you overeat?

We've all heard that vitamins just give you expensive pee, because your body takes the small amount it needs, and you pass out the rest.

When we have cheat days, or slip up and grossly overeat, does our body take in and convert all those calories into energy/fat, or is there a point where your body says "I've had enough", and passes the extra calories as waste?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Wha?

Why?

Don't grossly overeat...ever ...that's not good, no matter what your body does

and I think maybe the magical unicorn brings the special box that these excess calories go into, just remember to close your eyes, spin three times and wish on the nearest leprechaun first
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    When we have cheat days, or slip up and grossly overeat, does our body take in and convert all those calories into energy/fat,

Yes. Which is we got fat in the first place.

• amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    No that is how weight gain happens - when you take in more calories then your body needs. If they were just flushed out then everyone would eat whatever they want and still be skinny. However, in my experience one day of cheating doesnt make me gain more than 1/2 pound and it usually comes back off in a few days plus what I normally lose.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    We've all heard that vitamins just give you expensive pee, because your body takes the small amount it needs, and you pass out the rest.

When we have cheat days, or slip up and grossly overeat, does our body take in and convert all those calories into energy/fat, or is there a point where your body says "I've had enough", and passes the extra calories as waste?

If this were true, no one would be over weight... So just no.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member

This is true for water-soluble vitamins like Vitamin C.

A better parallel to calories are fat soluble vitamins like Vit A. Eat too much, and your body will stock up the beta carotene all over. Your skin and the whites of your eyes will start to turn yellow. The only solution is to stop eating so much Vitamin A.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    I've wondered this too. But obviously if we lose any calories from overeating it must not be many. And I'd be more worried about losing nutrients and burdening the liver, pancreas, and who knows what other organs with chronic feasting.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited February 2015
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Wha?

Why?

and I think maybe the magical unicorn brings the special box that these excess calories go into, just remember to close your eyes, spin three times and wish on the nearest leprechaun first

What is the purpose for this answer? The OP asked a question. You didn't answer, but felt the need to condescend.

OP, it's a complex,process that I don't completely understand, but I think that, yes your body does absorb and store those calories. I overate yesterday, lots of people did. Don't sweat it, just get back on track today.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    If you overeat you will gain. However, if you overeat sugary, salty, or fatty foods they will also retain fluid, so some of the gain will be fluid.But whatever form the weight takes, it's all extra strain on your heart and body!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Wha?

Why?

What is the purpose for this answer? The OP asked a question. You didn't answer, but felt the need to condescend.

OP, it's a complex,process that I don't completely understand, but I think that, yes your body does absorb and store those calories. I operate yesterday, lots of people did. Don't sweat it, just get back on track today.

And you feel the need to condescend right back

H'ok then :smile:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I suppose it might happen with certain foods, but I doubt it. If I overindulge on nuts, a few hours later I am spending extra time on the toilet as the undigested parts move through, so I may not have absorbed all of the calories, but I still count all the calories because there is no way to know.
  • Jolinia
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I suppose it might happen with certain foods, but I doubt it. If I overindulge on nuts, a few hours later I am spending extra time on the toilet as the undigested parts move through, so I may not have absorbed all of the calories, but I still count all the calories because there is no way to know.

Almonds might have %20 fewer calories:

New study shows almonds have 20% fewer calories than originally thought

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-study-shows-almonds-have-20-fewer-calories-than-originally-thought-162086675.html

Too darn bad I can eat thousands of calories of the tasty little suckers in an evening!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    is this real?
  • earlnabby
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    is this real?
    No, it's Sunday when people get bored.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    is this real?
    No, it's Sunday when people get bored.

:)
  • earlnabby
    edited February 2015
    Jolinia wrote: »

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-study-shows-almonds-have-20-fewer-calories-than-originally-thought-162086675.html

Too darn bad I can eat thousands of calories of the tasty little suckers in an evening!

Good news! I am good with most nuts but I have to buy Chili-Lime almonds in the single serve packs. If I get one of the tins, they are gone in a day or two. World Market has some Lime and Sea Salt cashews that are very tasty too!

• Jolinia
    edited February 2015

Good news! I am good with most nuts but I have to buy Chili-Lime almonds in the single serve packs. If I get one of the tins, they are gone in a day or two. World Market has some Lime and Sea Salt cashews that are very tasty too!

I love cashews, too. Unfortunately, I like to buy them raw in bulk from Whole Foods. Trailmix with almonds, raisins, sunflower seeds and cashews is the one food I think it's worth it to to eventually learn to eat in moderation. That, or I'm going to take off and do the full Appalachian Trail so I can eat trailmix every day and not gain weight!
  • ndj1979
    OP - the answer to your question is "no, that is not how it works"….
  • earlnabby

I love cashews, too. Unfortunately, I like to buy them raw in bulk from Whole Foods. Trailmix with almonds, raisins, sunflower seeds and cashews is the one food I think it's worth it to to eventually learn to eat in moderation. That, or I'm going to take off and do the full Appalachian Trail so I can eat trailmix every day and not gain weight!

As long as we camp near an outhouse or toilet, I will join you. Anything with nuts has me going first thing in the morning, which is why almonds are my "go-to" remedy for constipation. Fat and fiber . . . can't beat it!

• Krümelmonster
    Krümelmonster Posts: 14 Member
    I think overweight people generally have very bad eating habits and they make the wrong choices more or less every single day or for each meal. And that's what made them fat!! Not a few days a month when you just tend to eat more than you should..... There are so many occasions like a birthday party, weddings, eating too much because of being lovesick or because of bad grades at school, a nice evening with your boyfriend in front of the tv (when you finish the box of cookies of 1000 calories before you even notice) when it's just hard to control how much you are eating. Of course in a perfect world you would always be able to restrict yourself and never eat too much but people are not perfect and when I am at a nice social event I don't want to always say no to every single piece of cake or eat a salad instead of pizza or have mineral water instead of alcohol. You just need to have a little fun in life! So, for me personally it works to eat healthy and normal amounts 90 % of the time when knowing that once in a while I can also enjoy a milkshake of 500 calories and more at the beach and after that a few waffles with chocolate sauce AND whipped cream in addition to the sushi dinner that followed in the evening without dying from a bad conscience. And I successfully lost 12 kg in 3.5 years and now I have a weight of 46.5 kg (I am only 154 cm) and not one of those days in which I really ate more than double than I should "destroyed my efforts" like some people always tend to believe..... I think eating a piece of cake every day for 7 days is much worse than just eating 7 pieces of cake at once in one Saturday. That might just be my very personal opinion and I don't need someone to tell me that eating so much cake in one time is crazy, disgusting and just stupid. But I hope you know what I mean :smile: So, in other words I really believe that when I eat every day only my 1200 calories and then one time at the weekend I exaggerate a bit and I have an intake of about 7000 calories that it is not the same like just splitting those calories over a whole week and eating let's say about 2000 every day.
  • Jolinia
    edited February 2015

As long as we camp near an outhouse or toilet, I will join you. Anything with nuts has me going first thing in the morning, which is why almonds are my "go-to" remedy for constipation. Fat and fiber . . . can't beat it!

Hm, I didn't think of that issue. I suppose a camp shovel, environmentally friendly toilet paper, and a secluded bush are the usual accommodations. The other thing that stops me is I added up the cost of 3000 calories or more of trailmix a day. I then concluded all thru-hikers are millionaires or very adept at begging from strangers!