Do you absorb all the calories when you overeat?

2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Jolinia wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I suppose it might happen with certain foods, but I doubt it. If I overindulge on nuts, a few hours later I am spending extra time on the toilet as the undigested parts move through, so I may not have absorbed all of the calories, but I still count all the calories because there is no way to know.

Almonds might have %20 fewer calories:

New study shows almonds have 20% fewer calories than originally thought

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-study-shows-almonds-have-20-fewer-calories-than-originally-thought-162086675.html

Too darn bad I can eat thousands of calories of the tasty little suckers in an evening!

Good news! I am good with most nuts but I have to buy Chili-Lime almonds in the single serve packs. If I get one of the tins, they are gone in a day or two. World Market has some Lime and Sea Salt cashews that are very tasty too!

I love cashews, too. Unfortunately, I like to buy them raw in bulk from Whole Foods. Trailmix with almonds, raisins, sunflower seeds and cashews is the one food I think it's worth it to to eventually learn to eat in moderation. That, or I'm going to take off and do the full Appalachian Trail so I can eat trailmix every day and not gain weight!

As long as we camp near an outhouse or toilet, I will join you. Anything with nuts has me going first thing in the morning, which is why almonds are my "go-to" remedy for constipation. Fat and fiber . . . can't beat it!

Hm, I didn't think of that issue. I suppose a camp shovel, environmentally friendly toilet paper, and a secluded bush are the usual accommodations. The other thing that stops me is I added up the cost of 3000 calories or more of trailmix a day. I then concluded all thru-hikers are millionaires or very adept at begging from strangers!

I do have a camp shovel (and have used it back in the days I did a lot of backpacking). I could always dig my pit the night before bedding down. You're right though. Trail mix only may be a little too expensive for the entire trail, unless you can get to a Sam's Club or Costco every couple of days.

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    I suppose it might happen with certain foods, but I doubt it. If I overindulge on nuts, a few hours later I am spending extra time on the toilet as the undigested parts move through, so I may not have absorbed all of the calories, but I still count all the calories because there is no way to know.

Almonds might have %20 fewer calories:

New study shows almonds have 20% fewer calories than originally thought

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-study-shows-almonds-have-20-fewer-calories-than-originally-thought-162086675.html

Too darn bad I can eat thousands of calories of the tasty little suckers in an evening!

Good news! I am good with most nuts but I have to buy Chili-Lime almonds in the single serve packs. If I get one of the tins, they are gone in a day or two. World Market has some Lime and Sea Salt cashews that are very tasty too!

I love cashews, too. Unfortunately, I like to buy them raw in bulk from Whole Foods. Trailmix with almonds, raisins, sunflower seeds and cashews is the one food I think it's worth it to to eventually learn to eat in moderation. That, or I'm going to take off and do the full Appalachian Trail so I can eat trailmix every day and not gain weight!

As long as we camp near an outhouse or toilet, I will join you. Anything with nuts has me going first thing in the morning, which is why almonds are my "go-to" remedy for constipation. Fat and fiber . . . can't beat it!

Hm, I didn't think of that issue. I suppose a camp shovel, environmentally friendly toilet paper, and a secluded bush are the usual accommodations. The other thing that stops me is I added up the cost of 3000 calories or more of trailmix a day. I then concluded all thru-hikers are millionaires or very adept at begging from strangers!

I do have a camp shovel (and have used it back in the days I did a lot of backpacking). I could always dig my pit the night before bedding down. You're right though. Trail mix only may be a little too expensive for the entire trail, unless you can get to a Sam's Club or Costco every couple of days.

People tend to buy their food in advance and then mail it to various depots on the trail. I suppose oatmeal (another food I can't eat in moderation if it's even slightly sweetened) could cut costs, though!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    OP-perhaps you were just imprecise in how you phrased your original question, but calories aren't a thing to be absorbed or not absorbed. They are a unit of heat measure. Carbs, fat and protein are things and they are absorbed to the extent they get digested. Not all food gets fully digested--think corn. But that has nothing to do with how much you eat. Short of inducing vomiting (think bulemia), you digest the same amount whether you eat a lot or a little. Hence, too many calories = weight gain, and way too many calories= big weight gain
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    No. The human body is very good at using and storing as many calories as possible (as long as you are healthy). The human body evolved as a survival mechanism.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    I hope so! Seems a waste of food if you eat it and your body just passes it through.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    When we have cheat days, or slip up and grossly overeat, does our body take in and convert all those calories into energy/fat, or is there a point where your body says "I've had enough", and passes the extra calories as waste?

If you eat a surplus of food over your calorie needs, your body won't pass them off as "waste". That's not how bodies work.
    A calorie surplus leads to fat over time, no matter what.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Doesn't matter what food those calories are found in, either.

I was told by a dietitian years ago that I ate resonably healthy compared to most of their patients, I just ate enough for 2 people.

I ended up well-nourished, but fat nonetheless.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    We've all heard that vitamins just give you expensive pee, because your body takes the small amount it needs, and you pass out the rest.

When we have cheat days, or slip up and grossly overeat, does our body take in and convert all those calories into energy/fat, or is there a point where your body says "I've had enough", and passes the extra calories as waste?

If it just was passed off as waste, nobody would get fat. Calories are energy...energy consumption in excess of what your body needs is stored for later use...i.e. converted to fat...your energy reserves.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    I think what is being asked is if you eat 5,000 calories over maintenence, is there a point after digesting like 3,000 of those calories, which get stored, that the body just says enough and "wastes" the other 2,000 calories.

In the question, the overeating still results in weight gain. I don't think the OP doesn't think you won't gain weight.
  • BigDaddyBooth
    BigDaddyBooth Posts: 10 Member
    snikkins wrote: »
    I think what is being asked is if you eat 5,000 calories over maintenence, is there a point after digesting like 3,000 of those calories, which get stored, that the body just says enough and "wastes" the other 2,000 calories.

In the question, the overeating still results in weight gain. I don't think the OP doesn't think you won't gain weight.

This is exactly what I meant, thanks! Obviously, I understand that eating more calories than you burn leads to weight gain, I think many folks in this thread didn't realize that (my bad for not being clearer in my original question).
  • tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    Absolutely not! That's how people get fat. Excessive calories = excess weight. End of story