Mirena and never filling full

Tulipea
Tulipea Posts: 54 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I got the mirena after my second child. After birth i lost most my pregnancy weight fast and was steadily going down. I got the mirena and have gained 35+lb. I never feel full but i eat constantly cause i have the feeling of hunger, same with thirst i can down a bottle of water in one sitting and keep going until my stomach is sloshing with water but still no brain saying "hey you're good on water". I feel, even with my stomach piped to the brim of water that i still want to drink more. I generally feel down and sluggish. Afraid to work out because i get stabbing feelings occasionally in my pelvic area and it scares me. I plan on having it removed and seeing if it helps with my weightloss journey. I'll keep everyone posted.

My question is does anyone else here have/had the mirena?
Did you loss or gain weight after getting it?
Do you never feel satisfied food/drink wise, if removed did it go away?
Do you get/have pains in your pelvic area?

Replies

• Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Never even heard of it. How long have you had this?
  • Tulipea
    over a year now. i went from losing 35 lb after child birth to gaining 35+lb within the first few months. Its an IUD for birth control. They listed weight gain in the side effects but i never imagined it would be this bad and that fast. My hunger and thirst have been worse the past 3-4 months, where i cant tell how full i am, my body tells me im still hungry but my stomach bloated and so much pressure tells me i cant hold another drop, same with water.

I've also started to have issues with my joints, i can barely kneel down without it hurting, i feel like i hit the gym too hard and my legs are jello but i havent done anything to strenuous. Im 25 so i feel like i shouldnt be feeling like im 60. :(
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    No offense, but maybe you should talk to your doctor about this. You can also use the search option in the forum and search for mirena, it will then show all post that mentions mirena.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Yeah, I agree with her, definitely should seek medical attention for this.
  • Can you still feel the threads? If you cant, it might have moved to somewhere it shouldnt which could be the cause of the pain. Best get it checked out!
  • hairspraymafia
    hairspraymafia Posts: 21 Member
    Since I saw your post this morning I've been reading up on Miren, which I've had since end of 2011. I've gained about 15lbs that I haven't been able to lose no matter what, short of starving myself. I also have migraines and mood swings. I found this blog that is making me think very seriously about getting removed. Hope this helps :)

http://lifeaftermirena.blogspot.ca/2008/06/weight-loss-finally.html?m=1
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Mirena was a complete nightmare for me. If you search Mirena in MFP, you'll see what I thought of it. Experiences differ from person to person. I agree with other posters in this thread. Go see your doctor. Good luck!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited February 2015
    Mirena doesn't directly cause the weight gain, but any type of birth control can mess with your hormones and cause a side effect of weight gain due to overeating. If you are having ravenous hunger constantly, I would see about checking out a new birth control method, especially if this is out of character for you.

In regards to the stabbing pain, please go see your OB-GYN as soon as possible. IUDs can migrate, and in very rare cases can pierce through the uterine wall. Stabbing pains can also be indicative of cysts; I've never had them, but seeing my friend deal with burst cysts is not a pretty sight. Please get an appointment ASAP to rule these two things out.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    I'm on my third mirena. (I get a new one after each child.) I have never had weight gain with it, and the progesterone is localized to the uterus so it doesn't increase serum levels.

It should never cause pain. Pelvic or abdominal pain should be reported to your doctor.

If you do not think the Mirena is a good fit, paraguard is a hormone-free iud.
  • I've had the mirena for 12 years and never had an issue. Never gained weight with it either, it's only recently I've gained 10lbs due to change of job. Apart from that I think you need to see the doctor if you have pain.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2015
    • I've had mine since July 2014.
    • I have lost weight (34.9lbs). Granted that probably wouldn't be the case if I hadn't been counting calories. I'm horrible at judging when to stop eating. If I was good at that, I would never have reached 260lbs.
    • Until recently, I was satisfied with my food intake. Recently however, I started Stronglifts 5x5 which I think is the cause of this new found hunger.
    • The only pain in that general area for me is from my c-section scar. That however has been off and on since my csection in May. I mention it to my doctor and they looked into it but I was told it was from the scar tissue from my previous csection.

On the topic of pain with mirena. The paperwork I was given and the nurse practitioner who put mine in did say that if I experienced any pain in that area, I should go in right away to get checked. Since you are having pain, you should go to your doctor and make sure it's where it is supposed to be. It's also possible that Mirena just isn't a good fit for you. I doubt there would be so many options if there was one method that worked perfectly for everyone.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Mirena was a complete nightmare for me. If you search Mirena in MFP, you'll see what I thought of it. Experiences differ from person to person. I agree with other posters in this thread. Go see your doctor. Good luck!

It was a nightmare for me as well. Definitely read her thread, and definitely re-visit your doctor, the stabbing pains do sound like the Mirena has shifted. I know a few folks to whom that happened.
  • 4leighbee
    edited February 2015
    4leighbee wrote: »

It was a nightmare for me as well. Definitely read her thread, and definitely re-visit your doctor, the stabbing pains do sound like the Mirena has shifted. I know a few folks to whom that happened.

I found it doesn't just come up when you search Mirena. This thread has various points of view and is where my story is ... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31059880#Comment_31059880.

Edited to tell you that my profile name was lgutches then.
  • amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    It can burrow into you, all the way to your stomach in some cases. They have a class action lawsuit going for it. I had it and it gave me horrible anxiety and I could feel it poking me. I didn't gain weight, but I wasnt able to get down to my prepregnancy weight either. Had it removed
  • lynn1643
    lynn1643 Posts: 36 Member
    I have never used Mirena but since I started on birth control pills, I never feel full either!! So frustrating. I found that eating extra protein, fiber, and slow releasing carbs like oatmeal or ezekiel bread paired protein or a healthy fat or helpful!
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    I <3 my Paragard (the non-hormonal IUD). No hormones to mess with your body and mind? Yes, please. You may want to look into the non-hormonal options. But, definitely talk to your OBGYN about your Mirena situation.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Tulipea wrote: »
    I got the mirena after my second child. After birth i lost most my pregnancy weight fast and was steadily going down. I got the mirena and have gained 35+lb. I never feel full but i eat constantly cause i have the feeling of hunger, same with thirst i can down a bottle of water in one sitting and keep going until my stomach is sloshing with water but still no brain saying "hey you're good on water". I feel, even with my stomach piped to the brim of water that i still want to drink more. I generally feel down and sluggish. Afraid to work out because i get stabbing feelings occasionally in my pelvic area and it scares me. I plan on having it removed and seeing if it helps with my weightloss journey. I'll keep everyone posted.

My question is does anyone else here have/had the mirena?
    Did you loss or gain weight after getting it?
    Do you never feel satisfied food/drink wise, if removed did it go away?
    Do you get/have pains in your pelvic area?
    63lbs down and I have mirena. I'm now 3 lbs from goal/healthy weight. You need to check with your Dr if you are convinced that this is why you aren't losing. Before you do THAT however, take a hard look at your DIET and make sure you're not overeating (or undereating) and be sure to get enough protein to help you feel full.
  • Put on so much weight that diet and exercise wouldn't shift for ten. Oaths, took it out and it's going, long way to go as was already overweight but it really didn't suit me
  • Tulipea
    edited March 2015
    Hey guys just here with an update, went in to get it removed today to find out its lost :( I have to follow up in 2 days to get an ultrasound and another appointment to remove it. I was so hoping to have it done and over with and be out of this pain. My body is constantly cramping(everywhere!!) and if i walk to briskly or make to sharp of movements i can feel it stabbing again. I have alot of bloating and frequent breathing troubles especially in cold(possibly because of all the weight i've gained in this past year)

-Slightly over one year-
    Mirena start weight:225
    Current doctor weight:274

Weight gain areas:
    Stomach+ major
    chin+minor
    knees+minor
    aYNosP1.png
  • 4leighbee
    I'm so sorry but glad to hear that you will be done with it soon. Good luck. xo