WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• noexcuses118
    Options
    Well, thank you all for the encouragement and congratulations on my 3-pound loss last week. Unfortunately, I have not been on plan the last two days. We have this chocolate store called Hoffman's Chocolates just a couple of blocks away from my house, and it's right next door to the theater I am rehearsing in for the next show I'm doing. Now, this chocolate is the best I've ever had. EVER. Well, I bought myself some Hoffman's chocolates (a chocolate covered pretzel) on Friday night after rehearsal - I think because I was so tired and I hadn't prepared anything to eat for dinner, so I was running on fumes. Saturday morning and afternoon were fine -- but then Saturday night came and I don't know what got into me. I went back to Hoffman's chocolates and bought a 1/2 pound box of chocolate covered pretzels and milk butter crunches (my two favorites), had them put them in a box and wrap them. I told myself I deserved a Valentine's present, since i don't have anyone special in my life right now. But then, while driving to see a play that was an hour away, I ate the whole box in the car! Just goes to show that the addiction never goes away and can strike at any time.

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot today about why I let myself get off track like that, and I think I've figured it out. As soon as I told myself on Friday after the weigh-in that I was going to have to work extra hard to win the contest, I lost the motivation to stay on track. I kept telling myself, I can just have the chocolate now, because on Monday through Friday I'll just juice and I'll still lose a lot of weight. But that's not how to do it. I shouldn't worry about the contest. I should just take it day by day and concentrate on getting the most nutrition I can FOR THAT DAY. Like Alcoholics Anonymous - they say take it one day at a time, and I guess that's what I have to do. Anyway, the chocolate was delicious, it's out of my system, and I had a grapefruit this morning and beans and a huge salad for lunch, so I think I'm good. I also went to the farmer's market this morning and loaded up on all kinds of fruits and veggies. I took them to work and loaded my little frig at work with all kinds of goodies for the upcoming week, so I'm good to go.

Hope you're having a restful weekend. Here's to a great and nutritious week!

CP in So. Fla.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,596 Member
    Options
    light workout, but a good one:
    stats for the day:
    other- floor aerobic exert- 40min = 296cal
    ski machine- 20min, 20resistance, 1.20miles = 180cal
    walk, single leg balances- 10min, roughly 20 = 72cal
    total cal = 548cal
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon,

welcome.gif Newcomers. Glad to see others are finding us. We missed you.

talk.gif

Lesley so sorry about Mildred. She is lucky to be a part of your family.

Had a nice time at the dinner last night. It was a five course dinner. I just let myself enjoy it. They has champagne to start and white wine with the fish course and red with the beef. I felt very spoiled. I do not drink much so I did feel the effects. The woman sitting across from us grew up in the area. She talked about what is now Highway 61 being laid through their farm when she was growing up. Unfortunately they did not honor restoring their land when they were through construction it, and their farm was never the same. Now that area is all homes and shopping. Where our home is it was also a farm about that same time. It is easy to forget that farms were given up so that we can have the cities we have today. Also, she was a cousin to the family who donated the farm house we had the dinner. It was fun to learn more our the history from her perspective.

Today I found some essential oil formulated to help your gums. It was a bit pricey but compared to a dental visit or restoring a tooth it was cheap. I thought I would try it.

smiley-bounce017.gif for all the friends reaching their health goals.

2015: Word strength

Just because you see the hook does not mean you have to bite.

:heart: MNMargaret

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Stayed on hold for 30 minutes, but Customer support is sending me a new Fitbit. Thank goodness I had my receipt. I wonder how long it will take. I am suffering withdrawals already!
  • MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I’ve logged for 16 days, lost 10 lbs. I feel a little stuck on weight, but I lost 2 lbs last week and 1.5 the week before. So a little care this week (many days left) and I should be good. I had a great day yesterday, and so far so good today!

I spent some time today using my MFP calorie and exercise data for the last 3 weeks to calculate the net calories I need to lose 2 pounds a week (I got net 1400/day)… it was a wee bit lower than the MFP calculator (net 1530), so I reset it manually. Good to get confirmation that I’m in the right ballpark.

I did Mary from MN’s chicken fajita salad for dinner last night, and it was gooood. Thank you!

I got some more homemade veg soups made and frozen (yay immersion blender).
    Today I tried celery root, leek, potato and apple. It was Ok, would be better with some spices. http://www.chow.com/recipes/28907-celery-root-soup.

Margaret – thanks for the salad tip + Greek yogurt lunch tip. I need to go back to packing salad greens on Sunday for weekly lunch salads at work. I’m having some of your yogurt recipe right now – wow just a little bit of lemon zest and coconut really add a lot! I skipped the fruit spread and threw in some fresh pineapple I had in the fridge. I logged it in a recipe, will keep doing that one!

Linda – “see you all lighter” – I like that!

Michele – good for you looking at menus ahead of time. I have 3 days of family travel for a funeral this week, so that’s a great tip. As to friends who want to drink, yah just gotta be honest but real friendly and pleasant at the same time. They’ll get over it!

Kim – great job on the steps AND ON ONE YEAR ON MFP and on 30 lbs down!
    I’m gonna think about a fitbit in my future as a bit of a treat after I get my knee replaced and get back in action.

Oh Lesley, so sorry about your Mildred beagle. We put our cat down this fall and it set me on a long sad time. Find a way to do fun happy things this week!

CP – good for you getting back on track by planning fruits and veg for the week at work. I always get screwed up when I don’t take the time to plan, or get too busy. I’m hoping that as I spend more time logging on MFP that good healthy eating will come more easily with less forethought. They say it takes a lot of repetition to make a habit.

I love the pictures of folks, really helps personalize. Here’s a selfie of me at a hockey game this winter:
    9s9nudvbz3um.jpg

Cindy in SoMD

14386427.png

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a great Sunday. It has always been my fav day of the wk. It's even better if raining. Today is cold & colder,great day for staying in. Fri,DD was here for lunch & a nice long visit. SIL was here this morning.

Made a huge pot of rs2jkeaq059e.jpg
    ham & bean soup.Added lots of carrots,celery & onion.Veggie plate & garlic toast to go with. Cookies just baked for dessert.

Carol,being worried doesn't sound like complaining.....can't help being worried about our kids....at any age.

We got a clean bill of health from family Dr,but he goes to cardio Dr in a couple wks. I am just going along with DD,but that doesn't stop Dr from asking questions. :\

Is everyone ready for Spring?Only a couple wks & worse should be over here.All the really bad stuff has passed us by.Friends in Conn are retired,but go to Fl 8 mos of yr. Said they are hoping to sell out & live yr round in Fl.

This is my Christmas cactus that blooms before Thgiving,now blooming again. Counted 14 blooms.Pat

This article was on anothe MFP thread.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/15/truth-about-miracle-foods-chia-seeds-coconut-oil
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Michele - Diabetes D-Tour is available at retail.
    Gail, metro ATL
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Monday and I cried myself to sleep last night. Stan hardly slept in the spare bed with Mildred beagle.
    I am waiting for vet to open at 9am to ring them. I know it is for the best.
    She has given so much love, so many doggy kisses and cuddles.
    We had 2 lovely walks yesterday and I will hold that in my heart as I cry for her.
    Cannot train hurting too much.
    We will bring her home and bury her in the garden near flowers she loves wrapped in her doona with her lead and toys.
    Many thanks
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding

Leslie, my heart goes out to you and Mildred. Those trips to the vet have been the hardest things in my life. You cry all you need to, and remember that she will be out of pain.

Sylvia, so glad you are doing better each day. Just keep taking it easy and give your body a chance to heal.

Congrats to all that have made your goals and had NSVs. And best thoughts for those with health issues and family problems.

When I got home from the cruise yesterday my sweet hubby had me a dozen roses. We don't normally do more than a card but he must have missed me. <3 I was so happy to see my 3 doggies. It's been a lazy day and I'm slowly getting my land legs back. I don't remember that happening before but the water was so choppy I guess I learned to walk in the rocking ship?
    I finally caught up on the 364+ posts, but obviously too many to respond to. Just know I'm thinking of you all.

Welcome to all the new ladies. This is a great place to get support and information, as I'm sure you have seen. We are happy to have you with us.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Lesley: Crying with you. (((hugs)))
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Too far behind to even attempt to catch up. But I 'm still here. I have just been very lazy. The recumbent bike/cross trainer was delivered yesterday and I did 30 minutes on it today. I'm on the lightest load, but I'll increase it when I see how my knee does. had a great valentines day; saw 50 Shades of GRey (it was ok), and hubby cooked a steak dinner that was delish! Take care and I'll try to be here more next week! Meg from omaha
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,137 Member
    Options
    Cindy in S. MD - I'm glad you liked the chicken fajita salad. It is so simple but healthy and I love it
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,137 Member
    Options
    Cindy in S. MD - I'm glad you liked the chicken fajita salad. It is so simple but healthy and I love it! I use pace original salsa mild and that gives me a lot of vegetables and I love the hot bite. Good job on the weight loss!

CP in S FL - don't beat yourself up about that. We all do that on occasion! You know what you have to do and you did it you packed that refrigerator at work with good food and got back on track good job!

Pat - thanks for the beautiful picture of your cactus in bloom!

MNMichelle - when you write about where you live I know where you are talking about! That used to be my neck of the woods until I moved way up north! It is refreshing to hear about the cities. Good luck with your gums my son had advanced gingivitis and just spent $5,000 getting lazer treatment on his gums. It's a new treatment and much better than having to have them cut like to use to. My DSIL sells the essential oil and he swears by them.

Leslie - ((((hugs ))))

Everyone have a great day!

Mary from Minnesota

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,596 Member
    Options
    3c5hwrfamnk8.jpg

Just because
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lesley: There are tears in my eyes for you and joy in my heart for Mildred because she has someone who loves her so much. :cry: :heart:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Leslie,it 's never easy....but part of life. How loved she has been.You & your DH have been blessed to have her. Thinking of you,Pat
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Run free dear Mildred. Know that you have truly been loved.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Lesley, so sorry for you but glad Mildred beagle got to go paddling one more time. It is so hard to let our furry family members go.

Sang at two services today at church. One number was a Zulu song and we sang part of it in Zulu. What a fun, happy song. Went to soup and pie supper in support of the Shriner's. Homemade bean and ham soup and they actually had a bowl of fresh fruit on the dessert table, so only a little over on calories but probably way over on sodium.

Katla - I will remember your lesson horse's name. There is a grey arab at the stable where I board Jule who is named Tucker. I usually remember the horses names but can't remember the owners, so I just say "you know, Lily's mom or Dillion's mom". Funny but other people almost always know who you are talking about.
    -
    Supposed to be a little warmer tomorrow, 31*. Yipee! Planning on going to water aerobics in the morning and then to church in the afternoon to set up for the choir sponsored Shrove Tuesday Pancake Dinner. Hope to get some housecleaning done in between and maybe get out to see my horse.

Dr. Katiebug - Glad you are getting a new fitbit. Hope it comes soon!!

Everyone take care, Sue in SD
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Mildred beagle passed way peacefully at 9.45am this morning at the vets.
    Time to move on and remember her with LOVE always
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good evening,

Cindy I was eating yogurt when I read your post your reminded me to add the zest. I also sometimes added cinnamon too. I agree the zest and coconut and some fruit make it sweet enough so I do not have to add any extra sweeteners. I know the coconut unless I use unsweetened does have some sugar, but nothing compared to the major brands of yogurt that have sugar added.

Mary from MN the oil I bought today is called Gumdrops. (A fitting name.) I am going to start brushing my teeth a half hour after dinner. It is such a procedure that I am hoping it will curtail my night time snacking because I do not want to have to do it again.

:heart: MNMargaret