So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    OK, Thanks for the encouragement! I signed up for a 5k on April 18, so I have some time to train and perhaps be able to run the whole way by then. I'm normally a very anxious person, so I'm very nervous. Nonetheless, I'll plan well and do my best.

Congrats and have fun!

I still get nervous before every race and game (softball and football), and I've played sports for 18 years. Very normal feeling. Keep on training and I bet you'll surprise yourself in April.
  • scotlynnd8
    scotlynnd8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post! Very helpful. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    OK, Thanks for the encouragement! I signed up for a 5k on April 18, so I have some time to train and perhaps be able to run the whole way by then. I'm normally a very anxious person, so I'm very nervous. Nonetheless, I'll plan well and do my best.

Good effort. You do it once, then next time you have the chance to do better. If you don't set the baseline, you never know.
  • Brimixed
    Brimixed Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This is amazing :) Thanks for sharing! I am a terrrrrible runner!
  • bellesb2015
    Options
    Great info! I'm training for my first half marathon next month. I've completed a few 5Ks and a few 10Ks and I'm really challenging myself this time. I'm struggling with long runs and keeping myself mentally motivated
  • bellesb2015
    Options
    Great info! I'm training for my first half marathon next month. I've completed a few 5Ks and a few 10Ks and I'm really challenging myself this time. I'm struggling with long runs and keeping myself mentally motivated

• tryanother
    tryanother Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

My trick is something I call 'embracing the suck'. Don't get out of bed and tell yourself how awful it will be, how impossible 10 miles seems, how long it will take you etc.

You're just going out for a jog. Some time alone. One foot in front of the other. Sure, it will take a while, but don't try to fight it. Work can wait, emails can wait, everything can wait for the time you are out there. The harder you struggle, the longer the run seems. Just accept that you will be out there and after a few miles, you mind will ease up on you.

Doesn't always work, but it generally helps.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Good advice above. My mindset on long run days is totally different than other days. It's about clearing my mind and getting from point to point. If I think it's X many more miles or X many more minutes it seems like a chore.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »
    Good advice above. My mindset on long run days is totally different than other days. It's about clearing my mind and getting from point to point. If I think it's X many more miles or X many more minutes it seems like a chore.

Funny, I struggle with the "chore" feeling the most on 3-4 mile runs... That almost seems like "What's the point?" whereas anything longer takes up enough time that I schedule it in my calendar just like a dentist appointment.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »

Funny, I struggle with the "chore" feeling the most on 3-4 mile runs... That almost seems like "What's the point?" whereas anything longer takes up enough time that I schedule it in my calendar just like a dentist appointment.

i know where you're coming from. Remember a few months ago when a 3-4 mile run seemed like a long one. :)

• markvictoria3
    markvictoria3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Could you give me your opinion on compression sleeves? I hurt my calf moths ago and now that Ive started running it hurts every time. I was told to get one. Thank you !
  • loratliff
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »

i know where you're coming from. Remember a few months ago when a 3-4 mile run seemed like a long one. :)

I know! Now it's just tedium, haha.
  • loratliff
    Options
    Could you give me your opinion on compression sleeves? I hurt my calf moths ago and now that Ive started running it hurts every time. I was told to get one. Thank you !

I love my compression socks BUT if you're experiencing pain, no compression sleeve is going to magically make it go away. I think first you should figure out what the root cause of your calf pain is.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

I like them for recovery. Wearing some right now, in fact, but they don't do much while running unless you're on some steep downhills. Stretching, ice, and going very, very easy while running would be best. You want to heal the calf, not become reliant on a calf sleeve. But there's no harm in having them for after.

Plus they are nice to wear while flying.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a "this hurts or I'm hurt" question....

I feel tight at where I believe is the IT band, the outside of my thigh between hip and knee. My last run was 5k on Saturday. And I missed my run on Monday. Yesterday, when I was doing assisted one-legged squat, the IT band on my right thigh hurt (it hurt right when I was first squatting down, not after). I've heard that IT band is common runners' injuries so I took caution and did not run yesterday. I went for swimming instead.

Today, it doesn't hurt like yesterday but it is still somewhat tight. I can feel it (along with my glutes) even when walking and definitely going up and down stairs. Is this a warning sign of potential injury? Or, it is probably going to be safe if I run, say 2 miles instead of 3?

I normally run 5k distance 2 times a week and once a week I work up my mileage by 0.5 mile as advised here a few weeks ago. Last week, I was at 4.5 miles on my long run.

I have signed up for a 5k race in the beginning of March. My goal was to reach 6 miles in my long run before that. So, I am kind of anxious to get back there. But then, the last thing I want is to get myself injured and couldn't go. This will be the first time my husband running with us, second race for me and our two boys. Really looking forward to it.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a "this hurts or I'm hurt" question....

I feel tight at where I believe is the IT band, the outside of my thigh between hip and knee. My last run was 5k on Saturday. And I missed my run on Monday. Yesterday, when I was doing assisted one-legged squat, the IT band on my right thigh hurt (it hurt right when I was first squatting down, not after). I've heard that IT band is common runners' injuries so I took caution and did not run yesterday. I went for swimming instead.

Today, it doesn't hurt like yesterday but it is still somewhat tight. I can feel it (along with my glutes) even when walking and definitely going up and down stairs. Is this a warning sign of potential injury? Or, it is probably going to be safe if I run, say 2 miles instead of 3?

I normally run 5k distance 2 times a week and once a week I work up my mileage by 0.5 mile as advised here a few weeks ago. Last week, I was at 4.5 miles on my long run.

I have signed up for a 5k race in the beginning of March. My goal was to reach 6 miles in my long run before that. So, I am kind of anxious to get back there. But then, the last thing I want is to get myself injured and couldn't go. This will be the first time my husband running with us, second race for me and our two boys. Really looking forward to it.

Do you foam roll? If you don't, get one and look up how to roll the IT band. It makes a big difference.

My IT band can occasionally get tight. Depending on how it feels, I will shorten a run, or turn a speedwork day into an easy pace one. I'm consistent with foam rolling and haven't had any IT injuries, so can't say at what point some tightness is a real injury.

You might want to take a couple days of rest to let it relax. Since your race is a 5K, and you can already do that distance, I wouldn't stress if you don't make it to a 6 mile long run.

• marijkeco
    marijkeco Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm doing a version of the 5K programme, but I'm having difficulties finishing the last part of the training. After two hiatus (Christmas skiing holiday and illness) I had to pick up again as if I went back 2 weeks. Which sucks for motivation :wink:
    Now that I'm almost back on track, I can't seem to get to running 30minutes continuously.
    I think I've found out what it is, and it's the fact that I can't get 3 runs a week anymore. I read somewhere that after 3 days, your progress is diminished again, which kinda makes sense for me at the moment.
    I cycle to work and back (45 min total) every day, and most of my evenings are filled up with cooking really fast and then leaving for hobbies, voluntary work or social activities. I do 1 run on a Thursday and one in the weekend.
    I know I'm probably going to get a response saying: just get up earlier and go for a run, but I need to eat an hour before I run so this doesn't work for me. Also, "scratch your social time!", but that's not gonna happen... I am thinking about the possibility to run home from work, but it's still a bit daunting because it is longer than I usually run and it's all up hill!

If anyone has any tips on how to improve and get to running continuously for 30minutes, please let me know! Ideally I would like to continue with 2 runs a week, but the 5k programme wants me to run 3-4 times a week. Could I make my 2 runs longer and improve that way? What would be a good interval timing for that, 15-2-15-2-8 for example?
    Or do I really need to suck it up and create another running moment? Any ideas I haven't thought about on how to do that?

All advice appreciated :smile:
  • strongfam980
    Options
    Even after running daily for 22 years in the military and taken 2 years off...this info is very supportive and motivated to get back in shape! HOOAH!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    marijkeco wrote: »
    If anyone has any tips on how to improve and get to running continuously for 30minutes, please let me know! Ideally I would like to continue with 2 runs a week, but the 5k programme wants me to run 3-4 times a week. Could I make my 2 runs longer and improve that way? What would be a good interval timing for that, 15-2-15-2-8 for example?
    Or do I really need to suck it up and create another running moment? Any ideas I haven't thought about on how to do that?

All advice appreciated :smile:

Yep. That's pretty much it. If you want to run then suck it up and make a little niche of time to run in. I've been taking Sunday and Thursday off but I want to bump my miles up over 50 each week so I'm going to have to surrender sleeping in Sunday morning.

If you're just running 2 days a week you have 5 options on when to add in another day.