So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Help! I started C25K in august and did that for 4 weeks which was great and helped me gain resistance. Then I joined an online running group and since then I've been running 3-4 days weekly starting at 20 minutes and now I'm up to 45 minutes 4 times a week. I am 214lb, 5 ft 6 in female. I average at 19 minutes per mile. Im so slowww. I would like to run a 5K in december but don't know if Ill be ready by then. My goal is to finish the 5K in 45 min or less. For example this morning I ran 2.5 miles in 47 minutes. Do you think I can be at my goal time for December 13, is there anything I can do other than run?

With only a month or two of running under your belt, The best way to increase speed is to put more miles on your legs. If you run 4 days a week, try making one of those a 'long run'. If you run 4 x 45 minute runs now, switch to maybe 1x 40 minutes, 2x45 minutes, and 1x50 minutes. Increase your mileage on that one run, but don't worry about your pace. You've got two months to do it, so I think you could drop some time. But really, a first 5k is to get one time under your belt and learn about race day. After that, you can try to improve. Still, there is an adrenaline element to race day that often makes people go faster and lowers times.
  • Xnreyes
    Xnreyes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I decided to not do the 5K and just keep training at a natural pace. I know will get there, just dont want to pressure myself into getting to a certain pace in 2 months. I will definately try that training though, bc I do want to increase pace, but the 5K will be for next year. Also, I have a question about running apps vs running watches. Which is better? Also, what watch would you recommend for a beginner?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Xnreyes wrote: »
    Thanks! I decided to not do the 5K and just keep training at a natural pace. I know will get there, just dont want to pressure myself into getting to a certain pace in 2 months. I will definately try that training though, bc I do want to increase pace, but the 5K will be for next year. Also, I have a question about running apps vs running watches. Which is better? Also, what watch would you recommend for a beginner?

I think you must have misunderstood something. There is no pressure at all around couch-to-5K.

You can do either the distance-based or time-based version and a huge portion of C25K graduates in our situation (possibly overweight to begin with) do not finish the programme whilst running 5K in 30 minutes.

A vast majority choose the time-based version, which is available on apps and podcasts, and everybody runs slowly in the beginning.

If you use a watch, you will have to look at it. Apps/podcasts tell you when to walk and when to run. I prefer the latter because there are enough new things to worry about as it is, without adding also the wrist ogling to it.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Great Post, Thank you. Lots of Information and humor, love the headings- - "My shin hurts, am I going to die?"
  • ThatLadyJ86
    ThatLadyJ86 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this!!!!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Consider joining the Long Distance Runners group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    wonderful information, thank you. I just started running 6 weeks ago....doing a c25k. I've never felt better and more confident in myself. Running who even knew it was possible for me! Can't wait to read everything you posted especially about runner's knee which I struggled with in week 3-4. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Like, like, like this information, as a fifty-something neophyte walker.
  • Twinkie2530
    Twinkie2530 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I can run a mile, My best time is 9.16 seconds. After that mile however, I am BEAT. I really want to run a 5k. Do you suggest that I keep running my miles and eventually I should be able to keep going to mile 2.. and then eventually 3.. or should I slow down and do the C25K app? Thanks!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    I can run a mile, My best time is 9.16 seconds. After that mile however, I am BEAT. I really want to run a 5k. Do you suggest that I keep running my miles and eventually I should be able to keep going to mile 2.. and then eventually 3.. or should I slow down and do the C25K app? Thanks!

Probably a hybrid of both. I don't think you have to drop down to the C25K model, since you can already run a mile but if you want to run further, slow down. Don't immediately jump to 2, but try to run 1.25 miles at a 10 or 11 minute pace. Then up to 1.5, etc. Once you can comfortably run 3 miles, then you can start to vary workouts to worry about time. You shouldn't try to beat your previous best on every run. Remember, 'training pace' is different than 'race pace'.

• pchari1
    Options
    I think an important aspect of running is technique. Why run harder when you can run more efficient. Check out Chi running or youtube running efficiently. This could make you faster and less prone to injury. Good luck everyone =)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I did Week One, Day One of C25K tonight. I'd planned to walk a lot when I was done, but was WIPED OUT. So, I feel kind of cheated out of the longer workout I normally get.

This "recovery" day...can I walk? Does walking undo whatever "recovery" I'm supposed to be getting? I don't know if it makes any difference, but I also swim a bit. Swimming isn't work to me, though. I've done it my whole life, I enjoy it and never feel anything but hungry, even after a lot of hard swimming. My body is well accustomed to being in water, so maybe it doesn't count. I dunno.

This may have been answered, but I am not reading hundreds of posts to find out, since the beginning was people arguing about stupid crap and I don't have the patience to slog through all of that. :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    pchari1 wrote: »
    I think an important aspect of running is technique. Why run harder when you can run more efficient. Check out Chi running or youtube running efficiently. This could make you faster and less prone to injury. Good luck everyone =)

Chi Running is not a bad book, but by far, the largest cause of injury in new runners is 'too much too fast too soon', or the wrong shoes. That's why my first question to any novice experiencing pain is not "have you read Chi Running?", it's "What is your routine and shoe situation?"

There are exceptions (like those covered in the main post), but stride tweaks, by and large, are not something for a newb to be concerned about.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I did Week One, Day One of C25K tonight. I'd planned to walk a lot when I was done, but was WIPED OUT. So, I feel kind of cheated out of the longer workout I normally get.

This "recovery" day...can I walk? Does walking undo whatever "recovery" I'm supposed to be getting? I don't know if it makes any difference, but I also swim a bit. Swimming isn't work to me, though. I've done it my whole life, I enjoy it and never feel anything but hungry, even after a lot of hard swimming. My body is well accustomed to being in water, so maybe it doesn't count. I dunno.

This may have been answered, but I am not reading hundreds of posts to find out, since the beginning was nitwits arguing about stupid crap and I don't have the patience to slog through all of that. :)

Walking should be fine, it would be classified as 'active recovery', but you'd be better off working different muscle groups to give your legs a rest. Something like core work, pushups, etc. Biking or swimming would also be fine, but I find there to be more benefits from strength training than from more cardio.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

This may have been answered, but I am not reading hundreds of posts to find out, since the beginning was nitwits arguing about stupid crap and I don't have the patience to slog through all of that. :)

Walking should be fine, it would be classified as 'active recovery', but you'd be better off working different muscle groups to give your legs a rest. Something like core work, pushups, etc. Biking or swimming would also be fine, but I find there to be more benefits from strength training than from more cardio.
    Thanks. :)
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Fantastic! This is just what I needed to read today. I have slight right shin pain today... I just last week upped my distance and pace!!! That explains it then. I'm gonna slow it down but I just want to run every day! Great post :-)
  • michaelmeehan1
    michaelmeehan1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love this! Been looking into getting into running for a while. This is exactly what I needed!
  • fitzbe
    fitzbe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've always hated running but decided to make a big change, so I tried c25k. I made it to about week 5 when I had to stop due to pain/tenderness in the back of my ankles. Reading online, it sounds like tendonitis. I stopped running and after about two months the tenderness has almost stopped (it faded little by little but I feel just a slight twinge if I try to jog still). Once it's healed, I'm hoping to pick up running again, but I'm afraid it will happen again! Does anyone have any advice? How can I prevent this kind of injury?
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Advice on making some progress....

46 y/o woman, overweight and not very fit but healthy until my BP started going up a year ago so starting in March this year I made a concerted effort to get in the best shape of my life. I've been skinnier and I've been fitter but I've never been both.

By August I could go for 3 "miles" in 30 minutes on the elliptical (and down45 pounds by then) so in August I decided to sign up for a 5K the first week in October. Fortunately a friend suggested I "take it to the streets" before the actual race. Fabulous advice because I only went a tenth of a mile. Where did my newly acquired aerobic conditioning go?!?! Why were my hip flexors and quads sore for 4 days after?!?!

As I went running that day on a whim in my Old Navy "athletic" shoes (only called that for the looks not the function!) I decided I needed better shoes as my Old Balance had become lawn mowing shoes. Bought a discounted pair of irregular Nikes. Better. Not great. Certainly more colorful. :o .3 mile this time.

As I tend to research things to death I studied the art of jogging. And learned I needed to be fit/gait analyzed at a real running store. He didn't put me on the treadmill (tho they had one w/ camera) but he did ask where my shoes wore, support needed, how my knees felt, etc. And I bought a very good pair of Asics Gel running shoes after trying about 6-7 pairs. In fact I think I only own one pair of shoes (riding boots) that cost more than these.

But oh. my. gosh. They are worth it.

Also that I was going too fast. So I downloaded Map My Run, found a trail I loved and went to it. By race day I was up to .5 mile running and walked most of it. That's OK. Now I seem to be stuck at 1 mile. I have slowed it to the point I could speedwalk faster. Here I go, loping along. My heart/lungs say they could do this forever. I'm out of breath but would be able to talk, albeit very 'breath-y' but stabilizes to a nice 2 strides IN, 2 strides OUT (which isn't what I've read is recommended but the 2 IN/3OUT makes me feel oxygen deprived).

But at .3 I'm questioning my commitment; by .5 I'm feeling empowered. by .8 my legs feel very tired and by 1 mile I swear I think I'm going to trip if I don't slow down because my legs feel so weak I'm just plopping them down in front of me. And the only times I've gone a mile were after TWO days of rest. One day in between runs doesn't get me the mile.

I do 4x8 reps of leg presses at 170 pounds now; calf raises 4x8 at 90 pounds, hip ad/abductors at 130 pounds... I'm 5'6" and have gone from 230 to 175 pounds and those weights have all increased during my tenure at the gym. How can I get past the 1 mile mark? Granted I've progressed from nothing to 1 mile in 6 weeks but I guess having done so much cardio and strength training for the previous 6 months I should be able to do the whole 3.15 miles. Right now I jog VERY SLOW (13.5mph) for as long as I can, then brisk walk and when I feel I can jog I go at it again and just keep alternating. I do the whole 3.15 in 38-40 minutes on average.

I don't want to be a long distance runner - I just love this scenic route, the "ME" time and knocking out some calories in an efficient manner OUT of the gym. I do use the treadmill now from time to time - that's where I got my very first full mile in.

Would I be better if I don't exhaust my first mile and instead alternate sooner? Back off to running twice a week and focus more on strength?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Have you given the Couch to 5K program a go? It's mentioned way at the beginning of this thread. It has you alternating running and walking at set intervals (which is key, I think) and gradually increasing the running intervals until you're eventually running the whole 5K. I've actually done all of my half marathons in a similar method usually running 3 or 4 minutes and then walking 1 minute for the whole 13.1 miles. It works very well for me and I finish in about 2 and a half hours (about an 11.5 MPH pace). I think you'd benefit greatly from a set program like C25K or a walk/run style.

One other thing to note, try not to run on the day after you do legs in the weight room. My poor legs are far too tired on the day after legs to get in a decent run. If I run at all that day, it's a short and slow one