So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• Uhfgood
    Uhfgood Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I tend to carry my mp3 player when I'm walking -- it's not a problem for me to carry it in my hand. I just need something so I don't have to look at a watch every minute, which is why I'm doing an audio timer.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    FWIW, it felt that it was more effective to complete the program based on distance rather than time... e.g., W5D3 was 2 miles, W7 was 2.5 miles, etc. That's the only way to actually be fully prepared to run the full 5K, otherwise if your slower than 10 min./mile, you're going to be covering far less ground in 20 minutes.

I think one follows the other.

For now, the time is the thing - stamina and just keeping going.
    Especially when you start barely running 60 seconds (and too depressing to measure that in distance!!) then your initial goal is probably best in time.

I think from week 6 on then I'll start focusing a bit more on distance...

Just W5D3 to do and then... ;)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    I think that's an interesting setup to the program. The C25K I used (a podcast from Running101, I think) in 2013, all days of a week were the same. So, if Week 5 D1 was 5 minute runs, that's what you also did on D2 and D3 (you repeated). The following week went up to something else (2 sets of 8 minutes, for example).

Just an observation. I remember that the 20 minute run wasn't until nearly the end of the program (Week 7 or 8).

Seems to be the most common on here, with 20 minutes on the W5D3.

Then it goes to more intervals in week 6, Days 1&2 (5/8/5), (10/10);
    W6D3 is 22 mins flat.

Week 7 is 25 minutes flat each day.

Week 8- D1/2 is 28 minutes flat.
    D3 is 30 mins

Then you run 5 k, in whatever time.

Don't know if this is on several apps, but the one I'm on is 'c25k free'.

In the end, it's whatever gets us up and running, and committed!

FWIW, it felt that it was more effective to complete the program based on distance rather than time... e.g., W5D3 was 2 miles, W7 was 2.5 miles, etc. That's the only way to actually be fully prepared to run the full 5K, otherwise if your slower than 10 min./mile, you're going to be covering far less ground in 20 minutes.

There's no way of knowing your distance if you run in terrain outdoors without distance markers. Which is why most people do the time-based version. And those, who don't run a full 5K in 30 minutes when graduating, will eventually reach that speed, so no point in stressing over unnecessary things. Many don't run that fast, but work it up slowly, which is totally fine. Just my two cents.

As for the original programme, it's to be viewed on coolrunning.com and it is nine weeks long, with the 20-minute run being on W5D3. What the spin-off programmes claim C25K to be is another story.
    Just download a running app to your smartphone.

RunKeeper
    Strava
    Wahoo Fitness
    Endomondo
    iSmoothRun
    MapMyRun
    Nike+
    Runtastic

You mean that you're looking at your app constantly? Too much of a hassle for me, sorry, and it isn't ergonomic to hold something in your hand either whilst running. Replied within that context.
    These apps will tell your your distance at certain intervals. There are lots of ways to hold a phone without holding it in your hand.

I'm having such complete brain farts at the moment, trying to speak on the phone and type here simultaneously... Yeah, just ignore me for a while okay. Thanks :D
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I think that's an interesting setup to the program. The C25K I used (a podcast from Running101, I think) in 2013, all days of a week were the same. So, if Week 5 D1 was 5 minute runs, that's what you also did on D2 and D3 (you repeated). The following week went up to something else (2 sets of 8 minutes, for example).

Just an observation. I remember that the 20 minute run wasn't until nearly the end of the program (Week 7 or 8).

W6D3 is 22 mins flat.

D3 is 30 mins

There's no way of knowing your distance if you run in terrain outdoors without distance markers. Which is why most people do the time-based version. And those, who don't run a full 5K in 30 minutes when graduating, will eventually reach that speed, so no point in stressing over unnecessary things. Many don't run that fast, but work it up slowly, which is totally fine. Just my two cents.

As for the original programme, it's to be viewed on coolrunning.com and it is nine weeks long, with the 20-minute run being on W5D3. What the spin-off programmes claim C25K to be is another story.

RunKeeper
    Strava
    Wahoo Fitness
    Endomondo
    iSmoothRun
    MapMyRun
    Nike+
    Runtastic

You mean that you're looking at your app constantly? Too much of a hassle for me, sorry, and it isn't ergonomic to hold something in your hand either whilst running. Replied within that context.

True story. This broad never ran an ergonomic step. Not even one.
    Sally-McRae-Nike.jpg

And it's too bad the technology doesn't exist to carry things without holding them in your hands. Maybe after the flying cars and jet packs they'll invent something.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

W6D3 is 22 mins flat.

D3 is 30 mins

RunKeeper
    Strava
    Wahoo Fitness
    Endomondo
    iSmoothRun
    MapMyRun
    Nike+
    Runtastic

Sally-McRae-Nike.jpg

And it's too bad the technology doesn't exist to carry things without holding them in your hands. Maybe after the flying cars and jet packs they'll invent something.

LOL I think there are these things called arm bands and belts in which you can carry phones and even water bottles. Or go old school: fanny pack!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

W6D3 is 22 mins flat.

D3 is 30 mins

RunKeeper
    Strava
    Wahoo Fitness
    Endomondo
    iSmoothRun
    MapMyRun
    Nike+
    Runtastic

Sally-McRae-Nike.jpg

LOL I think there are these things called arm bands and belts in which you can carry phones and even water bottles. Or go old school: fanny pack!

Witchcraft_71feba_4252536.gif
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options

W6D3 is 22 mins flat.

D3 is 30 mins

RunKeeper
    Strava
    Wahoo Fitness
    Endomondo
    iSmoothRun
    MapMyRun
    Nike+
    Runtastic

Sally-McRae-Nike.jpg

I LOLed. I love my SPIbelt, and yes, plenty of apps that tell you distance, etc.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    cantumelia wrote: »
    I don´t agree with the statement about all good running shoes being expensive. You can find a good pair of cheap running shoes for 20-30€ if you don´t buy famous trade marks.

30€ = $47.50 and you can find shoes that cheap if you get them on sale. I think the OP is saying that you shouldn't just grab shoes off the shelf at Payless Shoes because "Oh. Cool colors." Get actual running shoes made for..... running.

Yep. I have some sweet Innov8's on my toesies right now. They were on massive clearance for $40 or so.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    -Your foot should hit right under or just in front of your body. If it is hitting way out in front of you, you are over-striding.
    A lot of people think lengthening your stride is the key to going faster, when really you should shorten your stride and increase your cadence.
    A 1000 thanks for your post, ThickMcRunFast.
    I just realized my problem has likely been over-striding, as I used to try increase my stride to add speed. This would also explain my bouts with shin splints. As I start running again, I'll focus on my stride tempo rather than reach.

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

W6D3 is 22 mins flat.

D3 is 30 mins

RunKeeper
    Strava
    Wahoo Fitness
    Endomondo
    iSmoothRun
    MapMyRun
    Nike+
    Runtastic

Sally-McRae-Nike.jpg

Witchcraft_71feba_4252536.gif

OMG, I love you.
    But you know nothing, Jon Snow.
  • Renee0887
    Renee0887 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Samina1215
    Samina1215 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice.
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for the Great advice, 2015 is going to be my year to learn to run.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to increase oxygen uptake prior to running? I ask because there is 0 distance I can run and still be able to carry on a conversation. My nose/throat (primarily) and lungs (secondly) just don't seem to have the capacity. Don't misunderstand... I can hike 15 miles or more over hilly terrain, but when I try to run, I get about 200 feet before I'm gasping for air and have to stop (otherwise I start to lose visual focus and eventually will collapse if I try to keep going... which is usually ok unless I go down while crossing a street - that was almost a problem once). I just can't seem to bring in and absorb oxygen that fast. What can I do to "get started" at this point?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to increase oxygen uptake prior to running? I ask because there is 0 distance I can run and still be able to carry on a conversation. My nose/throat (primarily) and lungs (secondly) just don't seem to have the capacity. Don't misunderstand... I can hike 15 miles or more over hilly terrain, but when I try to run, I get about 200 feet before I'm gasping for air and have to stop (otherwise I start to lose visual focus and eventually will collapse if I try to keep going... which is usually ok unless I go down while crossing a street - that was almost a problem once). I just can't seem to bring in and absorb oxygen that fast. What can I do to "get started" at this point?
    The only thing that really works is to slow down to the point you can still breathe. It takes time to develop your cardiovascular endurance.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The only thing that really works is to slow down to the point you can still breathe. It takes time to develop your cardiovascular endurance.

This. Run as slowly or slower than you walk. Really, if that is what it takes to run rather than walk, then move forwards like your feet were stuck to the ground with glue. It is depressing sometimes when someone breezes past you in a fast walk, but such is life.

You will get faster, though. Only a couple of years ago I thought I'd never be able to run, but now 30 minutes continuous running is no problem. Couch-to-5K has you running for 30-second intervals in the first week and I genuinely thought I'd never move on to week 2, but I learned to embrace the jiggling butt/thighs, the tomato face, the sweaty skin, the sore body, and the tight clothes. It is within your grasp too.
  • lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes go slow. I've been running for years and everyone still speeds past me. I'd rather go the distance than get winded and potentially injury myself.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :)
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Saved :)
  • poppapierre
    poppapierre Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you!