So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm about 60 lbs overweight (number completely arbitrary - that's how much I have to lose to match what my driver's license says) and I just make sure to stretch before and after and not push things too hard - if it hurts I stop until it doesn't anymore and maybe ice my knees down for a while.

At the moment I'm averaging about 3.5 mph which is crazy slow but I can jog steadily for 3 miles on the treadmill and a little over a mile and a half on the evil hills in my town, whereas earlier this spring I could manage maybe 3 minutes before I had to stop and walk. The number on the scale hasn't dropped as much as I would have thought, but the inches sure have come off.
  • vgutsal
    vgutsal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great Info
  • laura2813
    laura2813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    why is running such a thing?

puts on shoes- goes out side... runs.

Why are we over thinking EVERYTHING. it's running.

that being said- great post/write up.

We need this because some of us don't have the capacity to run to the mailbox and back. A good guide on how to get started, and good advise is always a +. You should never think just because you know the information or you can accomplish something..... everyone else can.
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I needed to read this. Very Informative.
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    why is running such a thing?

puts on shoes- goes out side... runs.

Why are we over thinking EVERYTHING. it's running.

that being said- great post/write up.

We need this because some of us don't have the capacity to run to the mailbox and back. A good guide on how to get started, and good advise is always a +. You should never think just because you know the information or you can accomplish something..... everyone else can.
    Actually it isn't just running. Many people do it in so many ways of wrong that you can't even count them. There's the right way to put huge stress on the body and there most certainly is the wrong way, too. Every time I go out for a run, I see textbook examples of how NOT to do it.

Look at for instance the video "Proper running form" on Runner's World and you'll start noticing all the things that many runners keep doing incorrectly, thereby putting their bodies at risk as well as denying themselves of the option to perform even better.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Bump for me
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump
  • knutsk
    knutsk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and info. I'm going to try C25K, and see if I like it after a few weeks. If so, I'm going to sign dh and myself up for a 5K in the fall, and surprise him! (He loves to run but knows that I don't. At least, maybe I don't. I think I'm ready to give it a try. I'm stronger and in better shape than I've been in the past, and getting stronger, so who knows?)
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie runner this year but I bet I can find info I need to know here.

Will read later but thanks for taking the time to post this
  • brad81684
    Options
    Great info, thank you.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Great thread :) thanks :)
  • lhaas24
    lhaas24 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks for this post!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to reading and getting some good tips!
  • jbse26
    jbse26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for a very helpful and informative post for us beginners!:flowerforyou:
  • mrsduke2924
    mrsduke2924 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bookmarking for later -
    thank you so much! I am so new to this running lark doing couch 2 5 k, and there is some really helpful stuff here :flowerforyou:
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Pretty excited as this gives me an excuse to buy yet ANOTHER pair of new fitness shoes - just thinking of trying to add some running into my 'rest' days for cardio - am a total newbie - so this was great help :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This thread should be a sticky here in F&E
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    This thread should be a sticky here in F&E

+1