So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• CatherineB4
    CatherineB4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great info!!! Can't wait to get started!!!!
  • tplagainos
    tplagainos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I abhor running, but now getting to the point where budgeting the time to power walk 10 miles is ludicrous..... and starting to eat into sleep. This is probably the best beginners guide I've seen, and is generally well written.

I know others have said these things, but it's great stuff! Thanks!
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice. I will definitely visit a running store soon!

Here is a part I am confused about and hopefully you may help guide me...

Cross training

Any basic running plan will have you out there at least 3 times a week. It is vitally important that you cross train in addition to running. What does this mean? For some, it’s a lower impact form of cardio – like biking or swimming, that will work other parts of the body while giving their running muscles a rest. I prefer strength/resistance training to more cardio.

Runners often have weak glutes (compounded by tight hip flexors). Working a few days on strength moves such as squats, deadlifts, lunges, and hip thrusters/glute bridges can do wonders for your leg and core strength. It is important not to over-do this. Doing both a progressive running program, and a progressive heavy lifting program at the same time would be challenging for an advanced runner, and would lead to overtraining for a beginner. Often one has to be prioritized over the other. If you are training for a marathon, backing off to bodyweight strength training is probably a wise move. How to schedule your runs and cross training is up to you, but I would advise against putting squat/deadlift day right after or before your long run.

I have signed up to run my first 5k on the upcoming Thanksgiving day. Currently 3 weeks into C25K. One of the info in a C25K Apps says to absolutely rest on rest day, if you want to add weight training, do it after a run, and not before week 4. Honestly, I don't feel very tired after each session of walk/run. Perhaps, it is because I'm still at week 3? I think I can handle some more exercises.

My weight was 145 lbs and I lost about 13 lbs at 132 lbs (my goal is 120 lbs at 5'3") since April. This is good enough progress for me in terms of weight loss per week. But I am not losing inches... I started to incorporate some resistance exercises like arm raises, extensions, bridges, planks, squats etc. I use the 5-lb weights at home. I stopped at 12 reps but, with 5 lbs, I can do more. For most exercise, the weight feels too light but then I'm afraid I would be doing too much. So, am I doing the right thing to add those resistance exercises? Am I doing too much? Too little? How best should I tell when to add more challenging exercise? And when to hold back? What signs should I look for?

Thanks a lot!
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    This is a great post, thank you! I put up a post yesterday about getting started running. I am older (60+) and haven't run in a loooong time, but have a very personal motivation to start jogging. I have no desire to run a marathon, but do want to do some 5Ks and perhaps even 10Ks. Your post will be very helpful, I believe, in helping me get started, as were many of the responses to my post yesterday. Thanks much!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice. I will definitely visit a running store soon!

Here is a part I am confused about and hopefully you may help guide me...

Cross training

Any basic running plan will have you out there at least 3 times a week. It is vitally important that you cross train in addition to running. What does this mean? For some, it’s a lower impact form of cardio – like biking or swimming, that will work other parts of the body while giving their running muscles a rest. I prefer strength/resistance training to more cardio.

Runners often have weak glutes (compounded by tight hip flexors). Working a few days on strength moves such as squats, deadlifts, lunges, and hip thrusters/glute bridges can do wonders for your leg and core strength. It is important not to over-do this. Doing both a progressive running program, and a progressive heavy lifting program at the same time would be challenging for an advanced runner, and would lead to overtraining for a beginner. Often one has to be prioritized over the other. If you are training for a marathon, backing off to bodyweight strength training is probably a wise move. How to schedule your runs and cross training is up to you, but I would advise against putting squat/deadlift day right after or before your long run.

I have signed up to run my first 5k on the upcoming Thanksgiving day. Currently 3 weeks into C25K. One of the info in a C25K Apps says to absolutely rest on rest day, if you want to add weight training, do it after a run, and not before week 4. Honestly, I don't feel very tired after each session of walk/run. Perhaps, it is because I'm still at week 3? I think I can handle some more exercises.

My weight was 145 lbs and I lost about 13 lbs at 132 lbs (my goal is 120 lbs at 5'3") since April. This is good enough progress for me in terms of weight loss per week. But I am not losing inches... I started to incorporate some resistance exercises like arm raises, extensions, bridges, planks, squats etc. I use the 5-lb weights at home. I stopped at 12 reps but, with 5 lbs, I can do more. For most exercise, the weight feels too light but then I'm afraid I would be doing too much. So, am I doing the right thing to add those resistance exercises? Am I doing too much? Too little? How best should I tell when to add more challenging exercise? And when to hold back? What signs should I look for?

Thanks a lot!

First, congrats on the success so far!

If you want to start strength training, I think this is a good time, the C25K program won't be too strenuous, so I think you could get some work in along with it. 5lb weights will only get you so far, and if you are already feeling fine at 12 reps, its time to up weight or re-evaluate (at some point lifting 5lb weights is just more cardio). So you have a few options.

1) start a lifting program like Stronglifts of 5/3/1...any beginner program. At first the weights won't be too much and you will make great progress. I like lifting because it strengthens leg/glue muscles, works the core, gives you hip mobility, and balances your muscles, but some people find it to be too much (and honestly if I am training for a fast marathon, i back off to bodyweight strength stuff anyway).

2) speaking of bodyweight, you could look into "You are your own gym" by Mark Lauren. There are great strength workouts in there, and you don't need weights or a gym membership. I believe runners have had success with that program.

3) Pick a few exercises and do them on your off days. This would include things like planks and the variations therein (side planks, walking planks, etc); lunges (and weighted lunges, just hold on to your hand weights), step ups, piston squats, single leg dead lifts, pushups, hip thrusters....I have a schedule every week so I know what exercises I am doing on which day, and how many sets.

Scheduling is up to you, but 3x running and 3x strength per week plus one full rest day isn't too much, so long as you pay attention and back off if you start to feel like you need a rest. It might be better at first to start with only 2 days of cross training, and then work into a third. Excessive fatigue, interrupted sleep schedule, mood swings, elevated resting heart rate and the inability to get through a normal workout are all signs of overtraining.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask for clarification!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I just started running. I'm in my second week. The first week I decided to get some practice in and get comfortable by running 30 minutes on my bosu, I jogged 30 minutes two days in a row, and got really painful blisters on the sides of my toes (due to a combination of cross-training shoes and cotton socks - mostly the cotton socks).

So, I decided to back off or a few days, purchase some actual running shoes and wicking socks (I got some Asics socks and some Ryka running shoes. I'm planning on going outside tomorrow for 30 minutes and seeing how far I can go (hopefully 3 miles, as I'd like to complete 6 miles a week).

All of this advice really helped me, and I am glad, I took the rest from running, because my toes are now all healed up. Hopefully, all goes well tomorrow.

I think I should be able to do 6 miles each week without too much of an issue, because I've been active since the end of February and have completed cardio intense routines (such as T25 and Insanity), so my lung capacity should, hopefully, be there. Speed is not something I'm concerned about because I have no interest in running marathons. I just want to try this out and see if it's for me.

Thanks for all of the advice!
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hi, ThickMcRunFast,

Thank you very much for your answering to my questions. The clarifications really helps!

I think I'll check out the book you mentioned and see if I can increase the challenge of my exercise by myself first. Eventually, I'll probably give lifting a try - it looks too hard at the moment but, with you and many others enjoying it, I'm intrigue!

Thanks again.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I have a question:

I will be running a ten km race in three weeks. My "training" has just been to run four to six km 2x a week. The last time I ran ten km was in April and I was very slow but ran the whole way and enjoyed it. Right now, part of me thinks I should lengthen my runs a bit, but most of me just feels too blah, and unmotivated to do more than I am. I don't think I'm risking injury, and I only want to complete the thing. Does this sound reasonable?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I have a question:

I will be running a ten km race in three weeks. My "training" has just been to run four to six km 2x a week. The last time I ran ten km was in April and I was very slow but ran the whole way and enjoyed it. Right now, part of me thinks I should lengthen my runs a bit, but most of me just feels too blah, and unmotivated to do more than I am. I don't think I'm risking injury, and I only want to complete the thing. Does this sound reasonable?

At 3 weeks out, there's not a whole lot you can do, but I would suggest either adding one more 4-6km run to your week, or making one of the runs longer. Add a km a week, and see how it feels. Just go slow and don't worry about your pace.

As far as motivation - that's trickier. I often will find myself really not wanting to go on a training run. I try to do what I call "embracing the suck" - accept that I'm gonna be out there for a while, and try to think of it not as a 'long run' or whatever, and just think of it as 'going for a nice jog', 'spending some time outside', 'disconnecting from email and people' etc. Mentally, the more I try to fight the run, the worse it gets. If I can just accept that its going to happen, I being to enjoy it.
  • 70deedee
    70deedee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is it normal to gain a couple of lbs after a week of jogging for 40 min daily
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Is it normal to gain a couple of lbs after a week of jogging for 40 min daily

Not enough info provided to give an accurate answer, but your body could be retaining water for muscle repair along with increased carb intake, if you're eating more. Completely plausible, as it is common to gain weight when they up their volume for marathon training.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I have a question:

At 3 weeks out, there's not a whole lot you can do, but I would suggest either adding one more 4-6km run to your week, or making one of the runs longer. Add a km a week, and see how it feels. Just go slow and don't worry about your pace.

As far as motivation - that's trickier. I often will find myself really not wanting to go on a training run. I try to do what I call "embracing the suck" - accept that I'm gonna be out there for a while, and try to think of it not as a 'long run' or whatever, and just think of it as 'going for a nice jog', 'spending some time outside', 'disconnecting from email and people' etc. Mentally, the more I try to fight the run, the worse it gets. If I can just accept that its going to happen, I being to enjoy it.

Thank you! I like this answer:)
  • tallen004
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!
  • jmrivera13
    jmrivera13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Great points thanks for sharing these effective and advantageous point here, it will going to help you for those who are looking for this type of information.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    When I first started running umpty ump years ago, I bought all the appropriate gear and talked to a running friend of mine. The first day, we went to the school track and he looked at me and said, "Run." ;-)

It's great to have all this information, but the basic thing is you have to get on the road (track, whatever).
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. :)
  • kbraut832
    kbraut832 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks ThickMcRunFast,
    I've been wanting to get back into running and that was all good information, it's been 13 years since my last organized run and I've packed on 70-80 lbs depending on the week. It's all downhill from here now, right?
  • Xnreyes
    Xnreyes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Help! I started C25K in august and did that for 4 weeks which was great and helped me gain resistance. Then I joined an online running group and since then I've been running 3-4 days weekly starting at 20 minutes and now I'm up to 45 minutes 4 times a week. I am 214lb, 5 ft 6 in female. I average at 19 minutes per mile. Im so slowww. I would like to run a 5K in december but don't know if Ill be ready by then. My goal is to finish the 5K in 45 min or less. For example this morning I ran 2.5 miles in 47 minutes. Do you think I can be at my goal time for December 13, is there anything I can do other than run?
  • MsJourno
    MsJourno Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump for reading later