So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this! Running a half marathon in May and official training starts tomorrow (although I have been training for a few weeks now). I ran one 8 years ago but am starting from zero now.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    At this point, you need more miles and nothing more.

So, does that mean running more miles each run? Or, each week? I intend to be back in running 3 times a week and 5k each. To increase speed with more miles, does it matter whether I increase the distance in each run or, increase the frequency of runs each week?

Thanks again!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »

So, does that mean running more miles each run? Or, each week? I intend to be back in running 3 times a week and 5k each. To increase speed with more miles, does it matter whether I increase the distance in each run or, increase the frequency of runs each week?

Thanks again!

If you haven't run in a while, I'd start with shorter distances than the full 5K.

From what I understand, as a beginner, increasing the distance alone (no more than around 10% from a week to the next) will increase speed. Running more than three times a week isn't a great idea either, roughly put.

Check out Hal Higdon's 5K programme for novices, it includes cross-training and walking. He has more advanced versions, too, for 5K, and also programmes for 8K, 10K, half, marathon, and more.

If you start from scratch (don't know exactly how long your break has been), couch-to-5K might also work.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Great advice.
    The marathon training plan I'm doing now only has one day of cross training and four days of running. Two rest days. I skipped a running day yesterday because my knee hurts and today I'm back at it...but was thinking about Elliptical instead of the treadmill (I find I am REALLY sore after the treadmill-especially my knee/ankles)...I know my gait sucks-it's much better running outdoors/not on the hamster wheel. :(
  • Kieta64
    Kieta64 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fantastic advice. Simple, basic and logical.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    Great advice.
    The marathon training plan I'm doing now only has one day of cross training and four days of running. Two rest days. I skipped a running day yesterday because my knee hurts and today I'm back at it...but was thinking about Elliptical instead of the treadmill (I find I am REALLY sore after the treadmill-especially my knee/ankles)...I know my gait sucks-it's much better running outdoors/not on the hamster wheel. :(

I've actually seen cross-training such as "light running" on non-running days mentioned by Hal Higdon in some cases. The main point I suppose is to loosen up things so to speak, without having the whole system pounded for a long time such as during a longer run.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Thanks again!

Weekly total miles.

What I did once I was comfortable running more than 3 miles was to make one run my "long run" and I would add miles to it each week (1/2 mile at a time for a while and increased over time). I would keep one run as an "easy" 3 miles and one run as a "faster" 3 miles. Once my "long run" was over about 6 miles I started also adding a little distance to my shorter "easy run" and left my other run as a "faster" 3 miler. Eventually I started adding additional days of running.

Or something like that.

*The "fast" run was not at race pace or anything and may have been closer to a tempo run. Just a little faster than the easy run.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! I really appreciate the OP!

I'm new to MFP. Been trying to get back into the swing of things and get out an run for the past few months. Using C25K and gave myself a deadline by entering my first 5k Feb 21st, 2015.

I am not completely new to running, I played soccer all my life until about 10 years ago, but I am terrible at running - 17min mile "whomp, whomp, whoooomp". I've just been so lazy the past 10 years and it shows. I'm through with being lazy and looking forward to jogging each morning and working toward my 5k goal and surpassing it.

Anyone out there willing to share any tips or inspiration - please do. Thanks again!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

Thanks again!

Weekly total miles.

What I did once I was comfortable running more than 3 miles was to make one run my "long run" and I would add miles to it each week (1/2 mile at a time for a while and increased over time). I would keep one run as an "easy" 3 miles and one run as a "faster" 3 miles. Once my "long run" was over about 6 miles I started also adding a little distance to my shorter "easy run" and left my other run as a "faster" 3 miler. Eventually I started adding additional days of running.

Or something like that.

*The "fast" run was not at race pace or anything and may have been closer to a tempo run. Just a little faster than the easy run.

As mentioned above, weekly miles. I also mean spending weeks/months running consistently 3 times a week. As time goes by, as long as you stay consistent, you'll naturally get faster.

As someone else said, I'd build back up to the 5k distance, since it's been a while since you've run 3 times a week.

The "don't add more than 10% to your weekly miles" is a good guide. So, your next couple weeks might be runs of 2 or 2.5 miles per run. Keep all of them easy/conversational pace. Then, add 1/2 mile to one of them to get it to 3 miles, then the next week add another 1/2 mile to another to get it to 3 miles, and the next week add 1/2 mile to the last run to get it to 3 miles.

After that, I do (did) what sjohnny mentioned. One run is my long run of the week, and the other two are a set, shorter distance. So, you might want to build up to two of your runs being 3 miles each, but have one run slowly become a little longer. Adding a 1/2 mile only adds a few minutes, when you think about it.

Where you go with it depends on what kind of distance you might want to run in the future. If 5K races are as far as you want to take things, then your long run could build up to 6 miles and that's all you'd need.

• AglaeaC
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! I really appreciate the OP!

I'm new to MFP. Been trying to get back into the swing of things and get out an run for the past few months. Using C25K and gave myself a deadline by entering my first 5k Feb 21st, 2015.

I am not completely new to running, I played soccer all my life until about 10 years ago, but I am terrible at running - 17min mile "whomp, whomp, whoooomp". I've just been so lazy the past 10 years and it shows. I'm through with being lazy and looking forward to jogging each morning and working toward my 5k goal and surpassing it.

Anyone out there willing to share any tips or inspiration - please do. Thanks again!

It's good that you're following a programme rather than winging it. If you haven't finished all of it by your race day, remember there's no shame in walking part of the distance, as long as you cross the finish line eventually. Good luck and have fun!
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice!

I really like the idea of adding miles to one of the runs. In terms of time, it does not feel as much a commitment. I think 5k is all that I'd like to do, at least for now. I would like to do other things too, like swimming and strength training. Deep inside, I kind of hope to get one of those medal thingy for my age group, maybe in one of the local, less competitive race :# And maybe even to be in a sprint triathlon one day... Maybe I'm dreaming too much.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    It's good that you're following a programme rather than winging it. If you haven't finished all of it by your race day, remember there's no shame in walking part of the distance, as long as you cross the finish line eventually. Good luck and have fun!

Thank you! As long as run most of it and cross the finish line I will be happy. Then it's off to the next! :)

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I really like the idea of adding miles to one of the runs. In terms of time, it does not feel as much a commitment. I think 5k is all that I'd like to do, at least for now. I would like to do other things too, like swimming and strength training. Deep inside, I kind of hope to get one of those medal thingy for my age group, maybe in one of the local, less competitive race :# And maybe even to be in a sprint triathlon one day... Maybe I'm dreaming too much.

Heh. I remember saying that.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Very informative and useful - thanks, OP.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

You might enjoy this then. Not everyone is into long-distance running:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/5k-training-plans/10-reasons-the-5k-is-freaking-awesome
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

I've gotten 2 such medals (small races, local, age group). Feels awesome. If I can do that, so can you. :)

Just keep working at it and settings goals for yourself. You'll be amazed by your progress.
  • oothy
    oothy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thnx! Running I'd definitely not my best friend. How about breathing while running?
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    oothy wrote: »
    Thnx! Running I'd definitely not my best friend. How about breathing while running?

Don't forget it? :)
  • mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great post!
    My question is I just started running again back in November. I have a few 5k's under my belt but I have never been a serious runner, until now.
    I am trying to run 5 times a week weather permitting. I started with 2miles and am now up to 3 miles and I am focused on getting my times down. I currently average 9:13 per mile and I am obsessed with getting my time down to under a 9 min mile (way under would be great). Am I going about it wrong? Should I focus more on distance and not time? One contributing factor is time itself. I keep telling myself if I get my times down I can fit more miles into my mornings? What to do?

Thanks
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    mmabry72 wrote: »
    Great post!
    My question is I just started running again back in November. I have a few 5k's under my belt but I have never been a serious runner, until now.
    I am trying to run 5 times a week weather permitting. I started with 2miles and am now up to 3 miles and I am focused on getting my times down. I currently average 9:13 per mile and I am obsessed with getting my time down to under a 9 min mile (way under would be great). Am I going about it wrong? Should I focus more on distance and not time? One contributing factor is time itself. I keep telling myself if I get my times down I can fit more miles into my mornings? What to do?

Thanks

Read the first post in this discussion.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1