So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• godswill206
    Options
    Can you start running at 250+lbs or should a person wait till more weight is lost?
  • Fit4lifesue
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    just joined the community,
    In terms of running, I don't have a lot of time so had to look at alternative ways
    Struggled to lose weight until now and waited to share
    http://www.venusfactor.com/welcome/vid?utm_expid=74044450-4.xLFNWhQdSly4yswpyI9ysg.1
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Can you start running at 250+lbs or should a person wait till more weight is lost?

Here's some words from someone who posted earlier who started over 200lbs
    I'd also like to add that I hear from a lot of people who think that they are too fat to run. They try it, it's hard, and they think that the reason is due to weight. It's not, running is just hard when you start. There is no way around it. The advice from OP is universal, because the issues are universal. Slow down, be patient, it WILL get easier.

When I started a year and a half ago, I weighed about 70lbs more than I do now. Since then, I have gone from agonizing through the 30 second intervals in a C25K program to my planned run today, which is about 13 miles. They won't be 13 miles that I struggle through, either. There will be times, of course (stupid hills), but most of it I will thoroughly enjoy. It really does get easier. Just stick with it and make it through the first few weeks. Don't add too much too soon (guilty). The running has made to my cardiovascular health is amazing. My blood pressure at my last checkup was around 107/67, not too shabby for a woman who still weighs over 200 lbs. Even better, I've found an activity that I dearly love and makes me feel alive.

Extra weight just means you should be very cautious. Make sure you have the right shoes. Keep your paces slow (even if it feels like you are the slowest slow that ever slowed). Get ample recovery. Also, consult your doctor if you have any previous injuries, which can complicate the process.

I was referring to this post
    [/quote]
  • jenhill77
    Options
    Great advice here in myfitnesspal.

http://ed352eyh1cmo7yaeukq-gs6k7k.hop.clickbank.net/
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    BUMP.
    Thanks for the great post and the quiet encouragement for us beginners. :happy: :happy: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

On my next trip to the Big City ( 5 Hour Drive one way ) I will be hitting up The Running Room for an assessment and a super shoe buying spree. Probably get 2-3 different brands so I can do an active comparison. The winners will be worn out on the Trails the losers will become my Daily Walk About Mud sluggers.
  • jeremyjreeves
    jeremyjreeves Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Re: what to eat before running...

I have found that something light usually holds me over. Either a banana, piece of whole toast with organic jam are both great choices. Something light that will wake up your body, but not weigh you down. This should be eaten 30-45 minutes before running. When you return, have a normal healthy breakfast. Egg whites, fruit, greek yogurt, whole wheat toast, etc.
  • kmcorc
    kmcorc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Suggestions for base layer & layering for running in the winter? I have access to a treadmill when it's icy, but I want to be outside this winter as much as possible. Is Under Armour brand a must, or what other brands would runners who experience all 4 seasons recommend? I know I'll need to invest in good gear to be safe; just trying to explore all of my options. Thanks!!!
  • librarygirlontherun
    Options
    My best advice for any of you is to hook up with your local running stores. They often have training programs for beginners and group runs. In my opinion we have the best running community EVER in Wichita Kansas thanks to the owners of GORUN Wichita.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Suggestions for base layer & layering for running in the winter? I have access to a treadmill when it's icy, but I want to be outside this winter as much as possible. Is Under Armour brand a must, or what other brands would runners who experience all 4 seasons recommend? I know I'll need to invest in good gear to be safe; just trying to explore all of my options. Thanks!!!

I can give you general rules, but I live in Southern California, and really only have to deal with 'mild', 'hot', and 'on fire'. I'm hoping others will chime in.

Dress in layers, avoid cotton. Make your outer layer a windbreaker, but something that is still breathable (so you aren't just a giant sealed sweatbag at the end).

I like get Asics gloves for chilly temps, and wear a hat. Under Armour makes good stuff, but I have also had good luck with Saucony, Brooks, North Face...basically any company so long as the fabric is right.

Oh, and a shoe with traction. On the few days a year I am running in the cold/snow, I use my trail shoes.
  • pattyaeverett
    pattyaeverett Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I want to run so badly after reading this!! Thanks for the inspiration :)
  • ashleigh315
    ashleigh315 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Now I'm feeling a run! Thank you!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Gads, I just noticed that it finally got pinned! MFP- it took you long enough!!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I run in rather cold weather, and here's what I do

- layers. Wicking layers (you don't need any particular brand, just something that wicks). Wicking is important in that, if you stay wet with sweat, you'll get colder.

- A couple of thinner layers will keep you warmer that one thick layer, as the air trapped between the layers will insulate you.

- you'll probably want some sort of wind-breaking material for the top layer. I have a running jacket that is made for this (so it still breathes). My winter running pants have a wind-breaking material on the front of the legs.

- if it gets real cold (like REALLY cold), a base layer of merino wool will be great. Costco actually is selling tops and bottoms in this right now for a very reasonable price.

- I find mitts more warm than gloves, but that's a preference thing. My running jacket actually has fold-over cuffs that make mittens so I don't have to stash mittens in my pockets if I get too warm - just fold the cuffs back.

- "Buff" brand head/neck warmers are great. Google for them and see if you can find them or something similar. They are comfy and adjustable.

- you can get wool running socks - these are nice because wool will still keep you warm even if it gets wet. But to be honest - I wear the same running socks I wear the rest of the year, and I run in snow and temperatures down to below -20C.

- I run on snow covered trails all winter, so I actually have winter trail shoes. But you can run in regular road shoes if you will be on bare pavement.

Let me know if you have more questions.
  • kberly85
    Options
    I'm doing a c25k plan. I'm looking for some motivation! Please feel free to add me as a friend. And I love hearing personal running journeys and seeing everyones accomplishements! I hope to be there someday! I
  • nikjackson18
    Options
    Great advice there.
    I used to run marathons and triathlons back before I tore my right achilles tendon, way back in 2000.
    Today I just started running again with a nice, very slow 12 min mile jog for 9 minutes. I meant to go for 5 but I forgot to look at my watch. Same again on Wednesday I think (5 mins not 9). It's taken 14 years for the stupid tendon to get properly better and I'm not about to give it anything to whinge about now.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No. I don't.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!!
    Training for my first ever 10k at the end of Oct. :happy:

73529108.png
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Here's some words from someone who posted earlier who started over 200lbs
    I'd also like to add that I hear from a lot of people who think that they are too fat to run. They try it, it's hard, and they think that the reason is due to weight. It's not, running is just hard when you start. There is no way around it. The advice from OP is universal, because the issues are universal. Slow down, be patient, it WILL get easier.

When I started a year and a half ago, I weighed about 70lbs more than I do now. Since then, I have gone from agonizing through the 30 second intervals in a C25K program to my planned run today, which is about 13 miles. They won't be 13 miles that I struggle through, either. There will be times, of course (stupid hills), but most of it I will thoroughly enjoy. It really does get easier. Just stick with it and make it through the first few weeks. Don't add too much too soon (guilty). The running has made to my cardiovascular health is amazing. My blood pressure at my last checkup was around 107/67, not too shabby for a woman who still weighs over 200 lbs. Even better, I've found an activity that I dearly love and makes me feel alive.

Extra weight just means you should be very cautious. Make sure you have the right shoes. Keep your paces slow (even if it feels like you are the slowest slow that ever slowed). Get ample recovery. Also, consult your doctor if you have any previous injuries, which can complicate the process.

I was referring to this post
    [/quote]

Agree. I'm 5'3 and was 220 lbs when I started the Couch to 5k program. I was very very slow, had to repeat some of the weeks. People walked faster than my run, lol. But I didn't care, I wanted to accomplish it for myself. And I did!!! I'm 182 lbs now and getting ready for my first 10k run.

73529108.png
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this great post.