So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Is there any way to increase oxygen uptake prior to running? I ask because there is 0 distance I can run and still be able to carry on a conversation. My nose/throat (primarily) and lungs (secondly) just don't seem to have the capacity. Don't misunderstand... I can hike 15 miles or more over hilly terrain, but when I try to run, I get about 200 feet before I'm gasping for air and have to stop (otherwise I start to lose visual focus and eventually will collapse if I try to keep going... which is usually ok unless I go down while crossing a street - that was almost a problem once). I just can't seem to bring in and absorb oxygen that fast. What can I do to "get started" at this point?
    The only thing that really works is to slow down to the point you can still breathe. It takes time to develop your cardiovascular endurance.

This. Run as slowly or slower than you walk. Really, if that is what it takes to run rather than walk, then move forwards like your feet were stuck to the ground with glue. It is depressing sometimes when someone breezes past you in a fast walk, but such is life.

You will get faster, though. Only a couple of years ago I thought I'd never be able to run, but now 30 minutes continuous running is no problem. Couch-to-5K has you running for 30-second intervals in the first week and I genuinely thought I'd never move on to week 2, but I learned to embrace the jiggling butt/thighs, the tomato face, the sweaty skin, the sore body, and the tight clothes. It is within your grasp too.

This is very true. I actually started running slower than I walk. I run on the treadmill so here is what I did: I set the speed to jogging pace, then gradually took it down to the point where it's slow enough to sustain for at least a minute but not slow to the point where it becomes an exercise in balance. That sweet spot happened to be barely over 3 mph (I walk at 4.2 mph). Now I run comfortably at 5 mph. Still quite slow, but it's a massive improvement that I can finally run faster than I walk.
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    very informative~ thank you!!!
  • rhonpaul
    rhonpaul Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Perfect timing for me to read this. I'm getting ready to teach a bunch of kids how to run (yes, really!) and the goal is to be ready for a 5K by May. Despite knowing what I'm doing, this post pulls all the info together in one place. Thanks for posting this.
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    Going to follow all of this thanks
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    This was awesome info and right on time. Thanks much :)
  • jissellc
    jissellc Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is such an awesome post!!!
  • woggsybug
    woggsybug Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is great! Thank you for posting this!!
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am so excited for this info! Thank you!

Just started running today. Total beginner, but my husband signed us up for a Spartan race in April. We plan to do the trifecta this year. I didn't have shin splints today, which made me happy.
  • szero4
    szero4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    awesome info! thanks!
  • katanya28
    Options
    This column was great. However, I just feel insecure about going to a gym and getting on a treadmil without a gym buddy or something. Any tips on how to get over this fear?
  • gettinfit23
    gettinfit23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When you guys are tracking your calories burned during your workout are you consuming more than what your calorie intake is normally set at for that day ? Or are you figuring in the workout calories to consume more in your diet ?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    katanya28 wrote: »
    This column was great. However, I just feel insecure about going to a gym and getting on a treadmil without a gym buddy or something. Any tips on how to get over this fear?

Unfortunately, all you can do is go and do it. You'll be scared the first time, but will soon realize that most people are far too concerned with their own workout to pay much attention to you. Honestly, after 10+ years of running, I can count the number of times someone has said something to me on a run on one hand. Sure, there may be the occasional jerkface out there, but there's no point in letting the hypothetical reactions of imaginary people keep you from doing something you want to do. Go forth and run! Even if someone is staring, usually they are just spaced out. At most, other runners will give you a nod or something.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    When you guys are tracking your calories burned during your workout are you consuming more than what your calorie intake is normally set at for that day ? Or are you figuring in the workout calories to consume more in your diet ?

Its all personal preference. I tend to have a weekly goal rather than daily. Its too hard on my body to eat 1800 calories one day and then 4000 the next. Additionally, I often cannot stomach the thought of food after a long run, but will be a ravenous hunger monster the next day. For those running not as high of mileage, it can be easier to eat back exercise calories on a daily basis.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

I have TDEE estimated number that I try and stay close to day to day. On a higher mileage run (over 9 miles), I'll allow some extra, as I get ravenous within an hour of a run. My daily deficit is small, though, so I have to be careful not to overeat just because I had a hard workout.

Definitely personal preference.
  • wazzup_alya
    Options
    hwillmott wrote: »
    definitely have been a lot of running questions lately. bumping for them! This needs to be pinned somewhere.

• jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is the best post ever.

A Couch to 5k program is how I went from never running ever to being able to do several 5ks. Now it's been 2 years (and 1 baby) since I did one and I want to get back in it, and from my experience last time I know exactly what to do this time.

The reason I never ran before is every time I tried, even just a tiny tiny distance - my shins were in agony. I went to the running store to get fitted for shoes and asked them about my shin splints, and they showed me compression calf sleeves - AMAZING. They worked for me. I just make sure I'm wearing them if I'm going to run and no problems.

For PF I eventually went to a dr and they gave me a shot in my foot. I guess it was a muscle relaxer or something? And it went away and hasn't come back.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

I’m so slow…how do I get faster?

More miles

First, I'd like to thank you for your post. You have also already helped me with a question a while back. On Thanksgiving day, I finished my first 5k and feeling great!

Now, I am going to register to run another race in March and I would very much like to beat that record. However, is the "More miles" the only way to increase my speed? Or, is there other ways now that I can run 5k? If my speed (~10 min mile) does not increase, more miles mean longer running session, with warm up, cool down and stretch, it is quite a lot of time. Right now, I am using the C25K but with higher walking/running speed than I first started. I'd do a slow jog (~ 12 min mile) on the walking part but a faster run (~8 min mile) in the running part. I would think this should help me progress to running faster as I increase the running time with C25k. What do you think? Or, should I really work up my schedule to put in more time to run more miles in each session?
  • brandiuntz
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »

I’m so slow…how do I get faster?

More miles

First, I'd like to thank you for your post. You have also already helped me with a question a while back. On Thanksgiving day, I finished my first 5k and feeling great!

Now, I am going to register to run another race in March and I would very much like to beat that record. However, is the "More miles" the only way to increase my speed? Or, is there other ways now that I can run 5k? If my speed (~10 min mile) does not increase, more miles mean longer running session, with warm up, cool down and stretch, it is quite a lot of time. Right now, I am using the C25K but with higher walking/running speed than I first started. I'd do a slow jog (~ 12 min mile) on the walking part but a faster run (~8 min mile) in the running part. I would think this should help me progress to running faster as I increase the running time with C25k. What do you think? Or, should I really work up my schedule to put in more time to run more miles in each session?

I can tell you from my experience (entering my 3rd year of running) that the "more miles" will do it. More miles is about building up endurance and it takes time. Consistent weekly running builds it up. Yes, people do speed work, but it won't benefit you until you have a stronger base of weekly miles. I might have waited too long, but I'm just now getting into speed work on a weekly basis, after a full 2 years. Meanwhile, my 5k time went from about 35 minutes to a PR of 27:32 for my last race with very little speed work. Just steady running and increasing the distance I average.

One question might be how many miles a week do you average?
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm finding myself lazy after the race and only ran 3 times between Thanksgiving and end of the year. Kind of feel boring with those runs too. That's why I want to sign up for another race. And then, I tried the C25k with increased speed thing and feeling excited again. I ran mostly on treadmill, probably why the variable speed feels more interesting. From new year to now, only ran 3 times and about 2 to 2.5 miles each...
  • brandiuntz
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    I'm finding myself lazy after the race and only ran 3 times between Thanksgiving and end of the year. Kind of feel boring with those runs too. That's why I want to sign up for another race. And then, I tried the C25k with increased speed thing and feeling excited again. I ran mostly on treadmill, probably why the variable speed feels more interesting. From new year to now, only ran 3 times and about 2 to 2.5 miles each...

I'm always signed up for some race so I have a goal with running. Keeps me focused. :)

At this point, you need more miles and nothing more. You're not running enough for dedicated speed work to change much. That said, if you want to change up your pace some to help with "interest", do it. Just know that the most common way to become a better runner and avoid injury is slow, steady miles for most of your runs. Perhaps look at running outside. Change of venue might pique your interest.