Low Carb diet worth it?

Options
olyjok
olyjok Posts: 133 Member
I have researched this topic a bit and have no idea what the truth is. Looking for some hands on experiences good or bad. I am very active with running and will be lifting soon.

Replies

• joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    No. You feel drained and moody.

I'm currently cutting weight at 248 carbs a day- and I feel great and my strength is up. I'll never do low carb dieting again.

At the end of the day, calories matter the most.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    olyjok wrote: »
    I have researched this topic a bit and have no idea what the truth is. Looking for some hands on experiences good or bad. I am very active with running and will be lifting soon.

No. General caloric deficit and consistency.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Try it and see. It has worked for me before and it seems to be working even better this time around. The only time I get issues is when I'm at the heaviest end of ketosis, I just want a bit more energy than I usually get in that range.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    It depends on many things. I can not, will not stay on a low calorie diet if I am hungry.... That being said I find that I am not hungry eating low carb. Like all things though low carb means different things to different people. I suggest you go to the low carb group here on MFP. Read the Low Carb Launch Pad. Then decide for yourself, low carb but not crazy low carb is working for me.
  • Saltfuture
    Saltfuture Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's the only thing that's ever worked for me. I'm very low carb. (less than 20) Never hungry. Don't crave grains or sweets anymore. More than halfway to my goal. I also lift and have no problems gaining muscle. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • GarryA1987
    GarryA1987 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Low carb or Keto? Keto has worked really well for me over the past 5 - 6 weeks having lost 13lbs so far. After the first couple of weeks and you become adapted, you have increased energy and decreased appetite. It doesnt work for everyone but if you can make it through the initial phase, you will enjoy the benefits. You can also have different variations of Keto depending on whether you are lifting or just losing weight. There are some good articles around :)
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If I go below 40%, I don't have much energy. But then, you can choose which kind of carbs you eat. I prefer fruits and rice to pasta and bread.

Eating more than 25% of protein has helped me curb my cravings and relentless appetite. I also noticed I'm losing faster if my protein intake is higher.

That said, the best is to play with it and observe how you feel according to what you eat.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    GarryA1987 wrote: »
    Low carb or Keto? Keto has worked really well for me over the past 5 - 6 weeks having lost 13lbs so far. After the first couple of weeks and you become adapted, you have increased energy and decreased appetite. It doesnt work for everyone but if you can make it through the initial phase, you will enjoy the benefits. You can also have different variations of Keto depending on whether you are lifting or just losing weight. There are some good articles around :)

Thank goodness one of us had the sense to warn about that darn low carb flu! Yeah, the first week or two can be pretty bleh. I usually don't feel fully fantastic until around week three.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    LCHF/keto is one of those things where you love it or hate it. Some people love it, have a lot of success, and find it very sustainable. Most....don't. But, if you're one of those for whom it works, then it might be an excellent choice for you. As most others on this thread have said, try it and see - it's really the only way to know if it's "worth it," since that's not a one-size-fits-all thing. If you're going to try it, do try really hard to give it a good 2 weeks if you can, though - there definitely are some symptoms of giving up carbs that do subside after usually 3-7 days but up to about 14 days for some people.

For me, personally, I've dabbled in it a good bit, but it's not something that would ever work for me long-term. Through a lot of trial and error, I've found that keeping my carbs lower than most MFP-ers but not keto-low (in the ~100g per day range, give or take a bit depending on exercise) works best for me.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, and if you're doing it correctly. Read these:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10039052/please-do-not-open-for-now-lp01

A lot of people do it wrong, then complain that it didn't work. If your intention is to lose to your gw, then go back to a high carb diet the next week, don't bother. With keto (20-30g or less) you'll lose your carb cravings after a week or two, so you probably won't want to increase them later anyway. With regular lc (50-150) you may still have the cravings, but you have more room to work them in if you absolutely have to have them.

The upside is you don't get hungry as long as you eat correctly, so a lot of things that used to seem like impossible temptations stop being tempting at all.
  • olyjok
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10039052/please-do-not-open-for-now-lp01

A lot of people do it wrong, then complain that it didn't work. If your intention is to lose to your gw, then go back to a high carb diet the next week, don't bother. With keto (20-30g or less) you'll lose your carb cravings after a week or two, so you probably won't want to increase them later anyway. With regular lc (50-150) you may still have the cravings, but you have more room to work them in if you absolutely have to have them.

The upside is you don't get hungry as long as you eat correctly, so a lot of things that used to seem like impossible temptations stop being tempting at all.

Very good links. Thank you ! I'm operating on a average of 60 grams of carbs a day. Well most days. Last weekend was not good. I might try to slowly take them away to 20 grams. That might ease the Keto Flu. Not looking for a quick fix just a better way of living. Not to many people posting negative experiences on this post.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    What do you mean by better way of living? In what context?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    olyjok wrote: »

Very good links. Thank you ! I'm operating on a average of 60 grams of carbs a day. Well most days. Last weekend was not good. I might try to slowly take them away to 20 grams. That might ease the Keto Flu. Not looking for a quick fix just a better way of living. Not to many people posting negative experiences on this post.

Keto flu is easy to avoid - drink a lot of water, make sure you're getting enough sodium, potassium, and magnesium, and keep some bone broth or chicken broth on hand (if you have no objection to artificial sweeteners, MIO is like keto gatorade). If you start to feel headachy or otherwise flu-ish, drink a cup of broth. You should be fine in about an hour. Go easy on exercise the first week until you get used to the reduction, but since you're already low, it shouldn't be that drastic of a change for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The only way I would consider low carb as an option would be if I was far less active than I am. I think less active individuals can definitely benefit from going low carb...if you're active, it's completely unnecessary and counterproductive to fitness goals.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Interesting information here.

• LolBroScience
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The only way I would consider low carb as an option would be if I was far less active than I am. I think less active individuals can definitely benefit from going low carb...if you're active, it's completely unnecessary and counterproductive to fitness goals.

2x

and medical conditions
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I didn't find that to be true at all. I still prefer low carb because I'm not tempted by extraneous junk food while eating that way but I ended up giving up on it because it was just too much of a hassle with a family who wasn't interested in switching with me. A few years ago I reached my goal weight on 20-40g per day while training for and running half marathons. I had plenty of energy and it wasn't counterproductive at all.
  • olyjok
    Options

You may have a good point! There is so much information on this subject It gets me dizzy. My main goal is to burn 3,200 calories a week. That's just walking and running. Not sure what the weight room will do.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

How do you know this?

From The Big Lebowski

I'm active, 1-2 hours/day. I logged 57 hrs active physical activity in the past month. In fact, since I no longer have to feed my body every few hours because of low glucose, last bikeride was for 4.5 hrs WITHOUT energycrashing or bonking. So in my experience LCHF diet helps my fitness goals.

I can't speak for anyone else. I still would guess that people like Ben Greenfield who is a tri-athlete, would probably not do low carb, if he thought it would be bad for his athletic aspirations.

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/05/low-carb-triathlon-training/

Edit: for clarity. Oh, I forgot. I even did a sprint up to 95% maxpulse at the end of that 4.5 hours ride.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »

How do you know this?

From The Big Lebowski

I'm active, 1-2 hours/day. I logged 57 hrs active physical activity in the past month. In fact, since I no longer have to feed my body every few hours because of low glucose, last bikeride was for 4.5 hrs WITHOUT energycrashing or bonking. So in my experience LCHF diet helps my fitness goals.

I can't speak for anyone else. I still would guess that people like Ben Greenfield who is a tri-athlete, would probably not do low carb, if he thought it would be bad for his athletic aspirations.

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/05/low-carb-triathlon-training/

Edit: for clarity

Personal experience...

also, while many athletes do some low carb training, most don't train like that all of the time.

Personally, I like having my rocket fuel...and again...outside of certain medical conditions it's completely unnecessary to low carb...carbs aren't the devil. I can tell you right now I run a better cyclocross race carb loaded than not...sure I can still ride, but not like I can when I'm loaded.