Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The only way I would consider low carb as an option would be if I was far less active than I am. I think less active individuals can definitely benefit from going low carb...if you're active, it's completely unnecessary and counterproductive to fitness goals.

How do you know this?

From The Big Lebowski

I'm active, 1-2 hours/day. I logged 57 hrs active physical activity in the past month. In fact, since I no longer have to feed my body every few hours because of low glucose, last bikeride was for 4.5 hrs WITHOUT energycrashing or bonking. So in my experience LCHF diet helps my fitness goals.

I can't speak for anyone else. I still would guess that people like Ben Greenfield who is a tri-athlete, would probably not do low carb, if he thought it would be bad for his athletic aspirations.

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/05/low-carb-triathlon-training/

Edit: for clarity. Oh, I forgot. I even did a sprint up to 95% maxpulse at the end of that 4.5 hours ride.

So... pit one athlete against the vast majority of athletes ? Yes, there are outliers.. but the vast majority of studies out there point to the fact that carbohydrates are EXTREMELY beneficial for those that are training or exercising vigorously compared to low carb or no carb diets.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    The only way I would consider low carb as an option would be if I was far less active than I am. I think less active individuals can definitely benefit from going low carb...if you're active, it's completely unnecessary and counterproductive to fitness goals.

How do you know this?

From The Big Lebowski

I'm active, 1-2 hours/day. I logged 57 hrs active physical activity in the past month. In fact, since I no longer have to feed my body every few hours because of low glucose, last bikeride was for 4.5 hrs WITHOUT energycrashing or bonking. So in my experience LCHF diet helps my fitness goals.

I can't speak for anyone else. I still would guess that people like Ben Greenfield who is a tri-athlete, would probably not do low carb, if he thought it would be bad for his athletic aspirations.

Edit: for clarity

Personal experience...

also, while many athletes do some low carb training, most don't train like that all of the time.

Personally, I like having my rocket fuel...and again...outside of certain medical conditions it's completely unnecessary to low carb...carbs aren't the devil. I can tell you right now I run a better cyclocross race carb loaded than not...sure I can still ride, but not like I can when I'm loaded.

This is such a sensationalizing argument. Nobody has said carbs are the devil, and everything everyone does on this site is unnecessary. It's all done by choice and personal preference, so people who feel the need to single out one combination of things some people choose to do as somehow "less than" feels more like proselytizing than giving advice.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman. You did a blanket statement. Just because you couldn't make low carb work for you, does not mean "it's completely unnecessary and counterproductive to fitness goals". If you had been clearer it's YOUR experience, all is fine. But you didn't now, did you.

• olyjok
    olyjok Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ben Greenfield sure takes a ton of supplements. Is this common with LCHF?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman. You did a blanket statement. Just because you couldn't make low carb work for you, does not mean "it's completely unnecessary and counterproductive to fitness goals". If you had been clearer it's YOUR experience, all is fine. But you didn't now, did you.

oka.gif
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options

How do you know this?

From The Big Lebowski

Edit: for clarity. Oh, I forgot. I even did a sprint up to 95% maxpulse at the end of that 4.5 hours ride.

So... pit one athlete against the vast majority of athletes ? Yes, there are outliers.. but the vast majority of studies out there point to the fact that carbohydrates are EXTREMELY beneficial for those that are training or exercising vigorously compared to low carb or no carb diets.

Can you just accept that we are different. I don't slag your diet. Why would I if you mean it's working FOR YOU. Be a little generous. There isn't a one size fits all. Your goals are not the same as mine. I only care about MY fitness goals. What other people choose to do for THEIR goals, I don't care. End of story.

• fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    The problem I have with keto or real low carb is that for most people (there are always exceptions) it isn't a lifestyle change. Most people on this website want to lose the weight and keep it off. I have yet to meet one person (and I know a lot) who have done low carb, lost the weight and not gained most of it back. It's very difficult to maintain for life.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

How do you know this?

From The Big Lebowski

Can you just accept that we are different. I don't slag your diet. Why would I if you mean it's working FOR YOU. Be a little generous. There isn't a one size fits all. Your goals are not the same as mine. I only care about MY fitness goals. What other people choose to do for THEIR goals, I don't care. End of story.

How did this become about you...you aren't the OP. Opinions have been stated on the matter and that is all...

I'm a former competitive athlete...I hang out with a whole bunch of amateur and a handful of professional/semi professional athletes...overwhelmingly, these very active people benefit from carbohydrate intake. It's not exactly rocket science here...carbohydrates are like rocket fuel for your fitness.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    grnice39 wrote: »
    The problem I have with keto or real low carb is that for most people (there are always exceptions) it isn't a lifestyle change. Most people on this website want to lose the weight and keep it off. I have yet to meet one person (and I know a lot) who have done low carb, lost the weight and not gained most of it back. It's very difficult to maintain for life.

You gain weight by eating too many calories. LC isn't some magic bullet that turns fat off and then back on if you go off of it. Your friends gained weight because they ate too much food.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I low carbed for about a year and half. It works great and really does curb your appetite. I eventually just grew bored with it and tired of having to prepare different meals from the rest of my family. IMHO, there are way too many foods on the forbidden list and I swear I was going to grow feathers and start clucking if I had to eat One. More. D@mn. Egg. Now I just count calories and eat anything and everything, I just eat less than before. I personally find this an easier long term strategy to stick to .
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

How do you know this?

From The Big Lebowski

Where did I not acknowledge differences? I acknowledged outliers. I don't care what you do with your intake. I made a statement that the majority of scientific literature out there points towards the benefits of moderate to high carb intake for those engaged in vigorous activity.

• Live2InspireHope
    Live2InspireHope Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    All I know for myself low carbs low sugars i burn fat or lose weight since Jan 1 i have cut all breads out of my life for the time being and all sodas been drinking matcha tea and watching all carbs lost 29 pounds so far i cant complain. what works for me may not work for everyone so you just need to find what your body likes. Good luck you can do this if i can anyone can!!!!
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have been limiting my carbs and sugars the last few months and I hardly notice it (except in the weight loss).

I am not hardcore low carb, I try to keep mine toward 100. I eat all the fruits and veggies I want. I felt a little weak / weird once but I just added more fat / proteins to bring up my total calories.

I try to eat a protein bar and a creatine drink before my workout on weight training days and this gives me plenty of energy to lift heavy and lift to failure.

I REALLY appreciate everyone who posted here. The 30 year old male bodybuilders around the forums think that there is only one way for nutrition.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    There is one simple answer to this question, really. It's worth it if it's the easiest diet to follow for you. If it's not then it's not worth it. Everything else is just details. You will have to decide if the decrease in your running performance is worth it, and sometimes it is if you are not competing professionally.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    olyjok wrote: »

You may have a good point! There is so much information on this subject It gets me dizzy. My main goal is to burn 3,200 calories a week. That's just walking and running. Not sure what the weight room will do.

Building up a good base of muscle will ramp up your metabolism, increase calories burned through everyday movement, and decrease the risk of injury. Both men and women should build muscle. It is essential for weight loss.
  • olyjok
    olyjok Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks JimFsfitnesspal!

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    grnice39 wrote: »

Apparently you've never ventured over to the low carb or keto forums.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    olyjok wrote: »
    I have researched this topic a bit and have no idea what the truth is. Looking for some hands on experiences good or bad. I am very active with running and will be lifting soon.

Unless you are avoiding carbs for a health reason (diabetes), there is no reason to go low-carb. Calories in vs. calories out is what matters. As long as you are eating at a deficit, you will lose weight.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Here is my personal experience. Last year I decided to concentrate on building muscle while losing body fat, after losing 100lbs. I went on Scooby Workshop calorie calculator, it gave me macros of 35%P, 45%C, 20% F and around 1,700 calories (without exercise). Months would go by with no progress, I would change up my calories, eating more, eating less, change up my workouts, less cardio, more weights to no avail. I thought it was menopause or lack of sleep. 2 months before my vacation I did Insanity, stuck with 1,600 calories and lost 1lb. About this time I was reading about a certain basketball player who did Keto and lost a bunch of weight while keeping lean muscle, did some research and decided to give it a try. For the first time in almost a year, I finally saw my BF% go down. I got off track during the holidays, but now I'm down less than what I was before the holidays. I am finding, FOR ME, low carb is best to get to my goals. I was afraid of some of the side effects, but haven't noticed them, but what I have noticed is that I started sleeping better, I'm still getting stronger in the gym and I don't seem to get the afternoon drag like I used to do. This may not work for everyone, but it worked for me.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Taking 125g of carbs out of your diet may be easier than eating 25% less of everything and it doesn't impair your protein or fat intake (ie things that you actually need). Try it and see. It worked for me and many others - I lost ~45 lbs in 6 months in 2010 and I'm still below that weight. (so much for the "you'll put it all back on" asshats.