If You Could Choose ONE Food that you Can't Diet Without ...

Options

Replies

• MrsChasteen
    MrsChasteen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Apples, Bananas, wheat bread, and water are my top. Anything that is inexpensive, portable, and naturally low-calorie.
  • lizziefood
    lizziefood Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    watch out for tuna , its carries alot of mercury, a good alternative to tuna is anchovies. I was eating alot of tuna myself then someone mentioned the whole mercury thing and I looked it up. Sure enough tuna although a great source of protein has mercury in it. You can eat some i think a few times a week but watch out.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    PB and greek yogurt
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    water:drinker:
  • amy_nico1
    amy_nico1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Throwing in another vote for OATS--they rock!! Extremely filling, cheap, easy, whole grain, and great mixed with fruit, or even with peanut butter or soy protein powder. I just make a smaller amount to make it into a snack instead of breakfast.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Would you be willing to post any spice blends/proportions? It's tough to find something balanced. But the importance of good spice is paramount.

That's a "how long is a piece of string" question. It is impossible to provide a fixed answer. It depends what you are cooking with, what your palate is used to, what kind of effect or heat you want to generate when eating (a good dish will make you feel warm and maybe sweat. It certainly won't make your mouth feel like its on fire and start hiccups. That's a sign of chilli powder overload or raw chillis and seeds being used.)

The problem is that food from the Indian subcontinent has been adapted to suit Western tastes given consumer demand. For some reason people in the West generally like their food really hot (spice wise) and oily. Don't get me wrong. There certainly are hot and oily dishes, some very much so, but that really is not the totality of the cooking.

If you want some inspiration and a broad range of ideas try Anjum Anand or Gita Mistry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/indianfoodmadeeasy/recipes/series_1.shtml
    http://www.gitamistryfood.co.uk/recipes

Alternatively come to England and I will make you a decent curry which will make your tastebuds sing ;)
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Eggs, bananas, fat free half and half (for coffee), hummus and morning star spicy black bean burgers :)
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    NATURE'S GRAIN CARB CHECK DOUBLE FIBER BAGELS where do you find these?

I buy them here in north Texas at a grocery store called Brookshires. Took some to Arizona for a visit with my sister and she loved them and we searched everywhere. No luck in that region. But she did call the company about where to buy them and she raved enough that a few days later, an entire box (big box!) of them showed up on her doorstep, gratis!

Good company. Nice folks. Amazing products. But they need better distribution!!!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Frozen blueberries.

Ever had Dippin' Dots? That ice cream that comes in little pellets and melts really slowly? Yeah, they're like that, only super delicious and only 80 calories for a whole cup. They're my favourite dessert. It takes at least half an hour to eat a cup, compared to the 5 minutes it takes me to demolish 2 cups of ice cream.

Nice!
  • jenocelot
    jenocelot Posts: 47
    Options
    Green smoothies I make myself. A touch of Greek yogurt, then combinations such as mango, apple, kale, with a little apple/passion fruit frozen concentrate, and a little spirulina powder. Terrific for breakfast or any time, and loaded with nutrition.
  • jenocelot
    jenocelot Posts: 47
    Options
    ...and, maybe not so good for us, but -- coffee -- when i want something sweet, plus can't deny the energy rush, just-ground whole beans, some splenda, some fatfree half n half, hot or iced.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Turkey.

It is low calorie, low fat and a good source of protein. Not to mention versatile....

turkey burgers, turkey chilli, turkey meatloaf, turkey lasagne, turkey sausages, BBQ turkey, roast turkey, turkey sandwiches, turkey casserole...

Now I sound like Bubba in Forest Gump.....
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal.... I could eat this all the time just put in different fruit to add variety. My favorites are strawberries, blueberries and granny smith apples.
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    watch out for tuna , its carries alot of mercury, a good alternative to tuna is anchovies. I was eating alot of tuna myself then someone mentioned the whole mercury thing and I looked it up. Sure enough tuna although a great source of protein has mercury in it. You can eat some i think a few times a week but watch out.

I've confirmed with a dietitian friend that as long as you have 2 cans or less per day you're safe from the mercury poisoning issue.

My "diet" foods that I LOVE are Fage greek yogurt, almonds, apples, string cheese, and hummus. I eat them all at least once a week and most of them everyday.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Oats! Love my oats for breakfast, with eggs as a close second.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Alternatively come to England and I will make you a decent curry which will make your tastebuds sing ;)

I lived in London for a summer and miss curry so much! Have a good recipe you'd be willing to share????
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    [/quote] Alternatively come to England and I will make you a decent curry which will make your tastebuds sing ;)
    [/quote]

While the promise of a good thing is incredibly tempting, the price of the ticket is overwhelming. :D For now I'll have to stick with the recommended websites. I'll keep your offer on my back burner which is currently simmering something delectable! LOL.
  • myofibril
    Options
    I lived in London for a summer and miss curry so much! Have a good recipe you'd be willing to share????

Are you kidding? I have dozens from all over SE Asia including India, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia...

I really recommend Charmaine Solomon's "The Complete Asian Cookbook" if you want good curry recipes. However, if you want a ridiculously tasty but quick and easy to prepare supper dish try this Goan Fish Curry:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/168626/goan-fish-curry

If you are worried about the calorie content substitute the coconut milk for the half fat version or semi skimmed milk / yogurt. It will literally half the calories and if your spices are of good quality there will be very little impairment on flavour. In fact I barely use full fat coconut milk as I find it too rich for my tastes.

Enjoy!
  • myofibril
    Options
    ps: to get this thread back on track I would say certain ice cream.

I had a Solero recently and it was less than 100 calories. It was delicious and kept my sweet tooth in check.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    bananas
    they just fill me up and apparently the high potassium also helps reduce chocolate cravings!