So for those maintaining below 2000/day, is this a lifetime commitment?

Options

Replies

• denisekelley30
    denisekelley30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To answer you question...yes. At 5'7' with a sedentary job, I stay between 1200 and 1500 calories daily (depending on how active I can become). Going above 1500 calories makes me gain weight, then my doctor gives me "the lecture" which I wish to avoid. I wont say you are wrong, but perhaps you need to look elsewhere for better information.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Height has very little to do with how many calories you need per day to maintain your weight.

A sedentary 6" female who weights 145lbs needs the same amount of calories per day as a sedentary 4"5 female who weighs 145lbs...

A female of any height who weighs 145lb, sleeps 7.5hrs per night and has 1 hour of standing/walking per day will maintain their weight at 2,000 calories per day

A male (since they have higher muscle mass) of any height who weighs 125lbs, sleeps 7.5hrs per night and has 1 hour of standing/walking per day will maintain their weight at 2,000 calories per day

Some people (especially females) are smaller than this and will easily maintain their weight on less than 2,000 calories per day, this is by no means a healthy number for everyone... but neither is it healthy for a petite, sedentary female to be eating like an Olympic athlete who may need 4,000 + calories per day to maintain their weight... everyone had very different needs.

Source: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Ah, sorry no. If that were true, than why does the calculator you point to ask you to input weight? If it were unnecessary it wouldn't be there. There is going to be a difference of a couple hundred calories between a tall person and a short person, all else equal.

I think you completely misread what she said or are just wrong. For weight as a constant, your required calories remain the same at any height. It looks like based on that website it's true and it also makes sense to me. If you just move the weight dial and keep everything else the same, the calories stay the same. However, shorter people will need to be a lower weight in order to be healthy in the first place.

I'm not sure how this is relevant to the topic of this thread though.

I'm not sure we've figured out what actually is relevant to this topic...

And I'm still having problems believing that someone based off of information from some very nice person who shall remain unnamed and the world's worst organized website (seriously, I tried clicking some links and all I can figure out is that there is a talking camel...) decided that even though they have never been obese, they should gain weight until reaching obese BMI levels because it is healthier at her age (as stated by these two random sources). Even though there are THOUSANDS of other articles in peer review articles contradicting that statement.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The refusal to link to something allegedly put into the public domain by its author makes no sense. Then again, nothing the OP claims makes sense so far which might partially explain why she keeps contradicting herself.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Height has very little to do with how many calories you need per day to maintain your weight.

A sedentary 6" female who weights 145lbs needs the same amount of calories per day as a sedentary 4"5 female who weighs 145lbs...

A female of any height who weighs 145lb, sleeps 7.5hrs per night and has 1 hour of standing/walking per day will maintain their weight at 2,000 calories per day

A male (since they have higher muscle mass) of any height who weighs 125lbs, sleeps 7.5hrs per night and has 1 hour of standing/walking per day will maintain their weight at 2,000 calories per day

Some people (especially females) are smaller than this and will easily maintain their weight on less than 2,000 calories per day, this is by no means a healthy number for everyone... but neither is it healthy for a petite, sedentary female to be eating like an Olympic athlete who may need 4,000 + calories per day to maintain their weight... everyone had very different needs.

Ah, sorry no. If that were true, than why does the calculator you point to ask you to input weight? If it were unnecessary it wouldn't be there. There is going to be a difference of a couple hundred calories between a tall person and a short person, all else equal.

I think you completely misread what she said or are just wrong. For weight as a constant, your required calories remain the same at any height. It looks like based on that website it's true and it also makes sense to me. If you just move the weight dial and keep everything else the same, the calories stay the same. However, shorter people will need to be a lower weight in order to be healthy in the first place.

And I'm still having problems believing that someone based off of information from some very nice person who shall remain unnamed and the world's worst organized website (seriously, I tried clicking some links and all I can figure out is that there is a talking camel...) decided that even though they have never been obese, they should gain weight until reaching obese BMI levels because it is healthier at her age (as stated by these two random sources). Even though there are THOUSANDS of other articles in peer review articles contradicting that statement.

yeah, purposely gaining weight in order to become obese is just bizarre to me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    mamadon wrote: »
    Ok, I seem to be hitting a nerve there wolfman. I don't know why. Are you ok with eating your maintenance cals for the rest of your life? I find most people here aren't really, that they struggle like hell to maintain and are hungry and eat reactivly on maintenance. I hear a lot of people having trouble when their appetite kicks them after restricting calories for so long when they start to eat to maintain.

I'm just asking if you plan to do it for life? To limit yourself to maintenance cals until you die and do you think you will be happy with that ongoing?

This isn't demon time! Just asking.

Yes.

Ok, one more vote for, yes, another person is willing to use the MFP guidlines for maintenance evn though it is actually 500 calories under what would be maintenance and is then in fact resticting for the rest of her life!
    Is that all you wanted?

I didn't count to lose. I don't count in maintenance. I do plan to eat in a way that will help me keep maintaining. the end.

Thanks! I am curious as to how you eat to keep maintaining! If you care to share it of course. I would like to stop counting, I did so for over two years but realized I was not eating enough, so I began counting again a few weeks ago.
    I eat "intuitively" and I very much limit refined carbohydrates (white breads, corn chips, added sugars, pastries etc.) Basically I try to eat nutrient dense whole foods. Plenty of vegetables, lots of fiber. And I eat until I feel I've had enough. If the scale creeps up, I do a little "boot camp" where I keep an eye on what I'm eating until the scale goes back down. About once a year, I do a "boot camp" "reboot".
    I lost doing this. I've maintained for 14 years doing this. But yes, if I input my calories, it's around 1700-1800 most days. Some days are naturally more. Some days are naturally less.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I currently eat around 1500-1600 calories a day. I don't feel deprived. Currently my goal is set to weigh 199, but in reality, I'd like to weigh 150. In order to maintain that weight when I get there I'll need to eat somewhere between 1700-1800 calories. I'm pretty confident that when I get there I'll be able to eat that much and be happy with it.
  • auddii
    Options
    I currently eat around 1500-1600 calories a day. I don't feel deprived. Currently my goal is set to weigh 199, but in reality, I'd like to weigh 150. In order to maintain that weight when I get there I'll need to eat somewhere between 1700-1800 calories. I'm pretty confident that when I get there I'll be able to eat that much and be happy with it.

It's actually a fairly common way of reaching your goal weight to just set your calorie goal to what you expect your maintenance calories would be at your goal weight. It can be a slower rate of loss, but it requires less recalculations through the process and naturally tapers the loss rate.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

From what I read in my google search it sounds like she should have concluded that it would be healthier to calorie restrict regardless of weight-- at least I found some studies that seemed to support that idea. I mean, they've been pretty much debunked at this point, but at least I managed to locate them fairly easily.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options

It's actually a fairly common way of reaching your goal weight to just set your calorie goal to what you expect your maintenance calories would be at your goal weight. It can be a slower rate of loss, but it requires less recalculations through the process and naturally tapers the loss rate.

That is really interesting. While I don't mind the goal MFP has set for me, I don't always worry about if I go over it by a couple hundred calories every once in a while. I tend to look at what it would take to maintain my current weight, and on days where for whatever reason I feel a bit hungrier than usual, I will eat up to that point (but try not to go over). I think right now that's somewhere around 2100 calories.
  • auddii
    Options

That is really interesting. While I don't mind the goal MFP has set for me, I don't always worry about if I go over it by a couple hundred calories every once in a while. I tend to look at what it would take to maintain my current weight, and on days where for whatever reason I feel a bit hungrier than usual, I will eat up to that point (but try not to go over). I think right now that's somewhere around 2100 calories.

For sanity sake, I think it's a really good idea to know what your current maintenance goal should be. So many people fear "blowing it" because they've indulged in something and are over for the day. But, many times they're still under their current maintenance, so they may lose at a slightly lower rate, but they won't gain weight because of it (except for possible water retention if higher carb or salt levels than usual).
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

its not. but try literally any other TDEE calculator. Any of them. Put in the same weight at different heights. There is a difference.
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    Options

its not. but try literally any other TDEE calculator. Any of them. Put in the same weight at different heights. There is a difference.

okay, just looked at one on iifym. there is a difference, but it's extremely small. for a 4 inch difference at the same weight and age, it's only like a 25 calorie difference. that is too minimal to matter. it's not a couple hundred calories.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

okay, just looked at one on iifym. there is a difference, but it's extremely small. for a 4 inch difference at the same weight and age, it's only like a 25 calorie difference. that is too minimal to matter. it's not a couple hundred calories.

It totals an infinite number of calories over time.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

Really? I used the same one here http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and got a difference of about 200 calories for the example she initially used (6 ft vs. 5'4" I believe) Just did it again. Got a difference from 1902- 2078. So about 175 cals different. Its not a huge deal but its incorrect to tell people its the same. I'm not sure why that other calculator ignores this. I mean, it makes sense conceptually to me.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Really? When I put in my stats the difference was about 100 calories difference per 4 inches.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Really? When I put in my stats the difference was about 100 calories difference per 4 inches.

oh, i was doing the "harris benedict" one. The "Mifflin-St Jeor" looks like it's more like 87 calories for 4 inches.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

oh, i was doing the "harris benedict" one. The "Mifflin-St Jeor" looks like it's more like 87 calories for 4 inches.

That makes sense. Harris Benedict is based on lean mass.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
  • Chigurl28
    Chigurl28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    based on my targeted period + potential weight loss to be achieved, I am on 1280 calories/day. I have only had double that calorie intake once when I visited both kfc n McDonald's. I want to continue it for a very long time, to the point where I'm acclamatised to eating only when I need to n wisely too.
    Low calorie intake should be done with some protein, fruits and veges as part of the day's menu. You could never go wrong nutrition-wise.
    I must confess I started with the Cambridge weight plan where I was on 810kcals/day. So this is me taking my time now yet staying on track...hopefully.
    P.S: with the CWP, lost 6kg in 3weeks!
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options

For sanity sake, I think it's a really good idea to know what your current maintenance goal should be. So many people fear "blowing it" because they've indulged in something and are over for the day. But, many times they're still under their current maintenance, so they may lose at a slightly lower rate, but they won't gain weight because of it (except for possible water retention if higher carb or salt levels than usual).

I agree 100%. I think that's part of why I haven't had more than a few not so great days since I started. I don't beat myself up as much.