Ok, thank you :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lph90e3IaO1qkdve1.gif
  • InsanityForMe
    InsanityForMe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! :-) I have bigger thighs and it is hard to slim them. I have started squats and lunges. Hopefully it works soon!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, also just wanted to add that I think the people who are saying you don't need to lose weight mean that losing more weight won't get you the look that you want, building muscle will. As others have mentioned, it is difficult for women to gain a lot of muscle, and women who do become "bulky" work really hard for years to get that way. So focusing more on strength training rather than cardio will not make you bulky. In fact, it's the best way to lower your bf % a bit.

And as per my friend who is a dermatologist, the best (non-doctor administered) way to camouflage cellulite is a fake tan and... muscle. Slightly bigger muscles will stretch the skin and fat a bit tighter, lessening the obviousness of the fat pockets. Cellulite is from the devil :(. Good luck! :drinker:
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Deksrl, not sure what that's supposed to imply?

Thanks InsanityForMe and Kimny72! Weights plus cardio is seemingly the way to go, so long as I can push through the crowds of men to get near the weights at my gym!! ;)
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Deksrl, not sure what that's supposed to imply?

Thanks InsanityForMe and Kimny72! Weights plus cardio is seemingly the way to go, so long as I can push through the crowds of men to get near the weights at my gym!! ;)

There is so much misinformation in this thread. Listen to the people who are saying less cardio more strength training. Eat at maintenance level. Get adequate protein.

• katiejanecollins
    Options
    Not sure what you're saying? I am listening to those people...
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Not sure what you're saying? I am listening to those people...

Then you should see some improvements :)

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    From someone who is also small and has legs as problem areas, I understand how you're feeling.

I think you are where I am about a year ago, doing a lot of cardio but not seeing the toned up results you want.

Just a couple of things first, unfortunately cellulite is just a part of life for us women, there's no special exercises or creams or workouts which will get rid of that apart from trying to gain muscle which gives your skin to have a more 'smooth' appearance, if that makes any sense. Secondly, if you want to lose 'a smidge' of weight on your legs, that's fine, personal preference, however you can't spot reduce fat, you just have to do the calculations of calories in/calories out and add some exercise and fat will come off everywhere.

But anyway, back to my original thought process, I believe you are where I was a year ago, one big thing has changed my life, my legs and my confidence. Lifting weights. And not just the odd light dumbell, I mean serious weights.

On here are some amazing women who have shown that lifting weights works wonders, it helps strengthen your muscle, maintain or increase (depending on diet), seems to help the cellulite issue, gives shape to legs... it works completely differently to your cardio work outs.

In a nutshell, cardio helps your calorie deficit and helps you to lose body fat however you might still seem to have areas of 'flab' or pockets of fat.

Look up Stronglifts or other weight lifting begineers programs. I seriously can't recommend enough. Not only now do I have more confidence, shapely legs, arms, bum, abs... I also get a lot of praise in the gym, a lot from regulars in there, for how much weight I can lift!

Do it, you won't regret it.

This is really good advice, OP. I guarantee that you'll get more of the results you want by hitting the free weights than you will running on machines like a hamster on the wheel.

The whole "you'll bulk up!" thing is a myth. Men who get big muscles work like HELL to get that way, and women have even more challenges when trying to bulk up because much of that big muscle growth is androgen-fueled.

In other words, unless you are seriously training for HOURS a day, eating a very specific bulking diet, and possibly injecting nasty chemicals into your body? Your inner She-hulk will never be released.

• livijane07
    livijane07 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    "So it is important to eat at a very small deficit (500 calories or less) to make the weight loss sustainable." I know it can't be right - but I don't know what Allan is actually meaning.

A calorie deficit is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure minus your total calorie intake per day.
    Your Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of calories your body needs every day just to function properly - meaning you could lie in bed all day, and require this number of calories.

Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure depends on what daily activities you do - for example, someone who does light activity (say someone who works at their desk in an office) may typically burn between 1,800-2,000 calories in a day, compared to someone who works in heavy manual labour, who would probably burn between 2,300-2,600 calories per day (or more).

So, say if you burned 2,000 calories everyday through your TDEE activities, and consumed 1,500 calories, your calorie deficit would be 2,000 - 1,500 = 500 calories. If you ate 1,500 calories everyday and burned 2,000 through your TDEE, after 1 week your deficit would then be 500 x 7 = 3,500 calories. There are 3,500 calories in 1 pound, so technically, you would lose 1 pound per week like this, without factoring in additional calories burned by exercise like cardio.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    'She-hulk' haha - that made me chuckle :) Thanks EWJLang. I feel like a lot of people have misinterpreted what I originally said which is a shame. I do not want to be 'skinny' and I know you can't spot reduce - all I was looking for was a little advice around the body fat % subject :(
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Thanks livijane07, that makes a lot more sense!!
  • livijane07
    livijane07 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks livijane07, that makes a lot more sense!!

No problem! :)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Ok thanks for the advice, I'll try and incorporate more strength workouts into my week alongside the cardio :) I really want to get into swimming, is that classed as cardio or strength also?

swimming is cardio. How tall are you? It's a good thing you don't want to lose more weight and as someone else here stated, 22.5% body fat is healthy. Not sure what your ultimate body fat goal is, but you could stand to gain a few pounds and lose body fat, if that's what you're after.

Options
    I’m looking at your profile picture and you do not have big legs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder

This. You have thin legs. You even have that coveted-by-some thigh gap. If you want legs like a Victoria's Secrets model, strap on some sky high heels and use photoshop like they do. ;)

hate to disagree with you, but those models on the runway actually train hard to get in the shape they are in. Also, there is no photoshop on the runway.

• katiejanecollins
    Options
    I'm 5'3. I don't mind gaining a bit if it allows me to lose fat, I expect that actually as I gained last year when I began to build muscle
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    I’m looking at your profile picture and you do not have big legs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder

This. You have thin legs. You even have that coveted-by-some thigh gap. If you want legs like a Victoria's Secrets model, strap on some sky high heels and use photoshop like they do. ;)

hate to disagree with you, but those models on the runway actually train hard to get in the shape they are in. Also, there is no photoshop on the runway.

I agree there - I watched a documentary on the VS models and they work damn hard.
    Options
    I'm 5'3. I don't mind gaining a bit if it allows me to lose fat, I expect that actually as I gained last year when I began to build muscle

I'm not saying you need to gain weight, but you definitely don't need to lose anymore weight. You can lose body fat while gaining weight and/or staying in maintenance mode, though. Best of luck to you!

• katiejanecollins
    Options

I'm not saying you need to gain weight, but you definitely don't need to lose anymore weight. You can lose body fat while gaining weight and/or staying in maintenance mode, though. Best of luck to you!

Yeah I don't really want to lose anymore weight, just lose fat :smile:
    Options

Yeah I don't really want to lose anymore weight, just lose fat :smile:

in that case, weights and protein are your friends! :) Best of luck, doll!