The most ridiculous diet tips you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Breatharianism:
    "Breatharianism frequently involves sungazing in the dubious belief that nourishment can be gained directly from the sun's energy through the eye, even though it is not a photosynthesising organ. This is likely to be just a woo-based explanation of "energy", which has little or nothing to do with real definitions of energy as a state-function of what can perform work. As with most supposed techniques of its type, proponents claim that the arts of breatharianism take years to master - usually this sort of excuse allows proponents to ignore evidence based on people trying and failing at the technique. It clearly requires a great deal of courage and self-discipline to be able to keep a straight face while talking about staring at the sun as a viable solution of the world's starvation problems."

Woman Dies of Starvation While on an All-Sunlight Diet

"She spent a week eating and drinking nothing — not even her own saliva — while consuming only sunlight and air. She stopped for a few weeks at the behest of her children, but eventually resumed.

She was found dead in her home last winter; the cause of death was ruled to be starvation.

At least three other deaths have been attributed to the pseudoscientific practice of breatharianism since prominent advocate Ellen Greve (AKA Jasmuheen) began touting "pranic nourishment" in the 1990s."

Seattle woman stops eating and goes ‘breatharian’ for FIVE WEEKS in attempt to survive on water and light

"Plants live on light, then we eat plants," she wrote on Facebook May 3. "Are we simply not accessing our inherent ability to live on light? ... After hearing of the possibility that this might be true, I received a 'calling' from within, from the Universe, to find out if it is so.

But she also makes note on Facebook of unpleasant-sounding side effects such as weakness, throwing up bile, dizziness, and frozen hands."

Yup, nothing beats this one for crazy!
  • otheliemoor
    otheliemoor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A coworker have started with these shakes and soups, which comes in these small portion packets and is powder mixed in water. It is insanely expensive and I honestly think it smells like vomit. And she is supposed to live on these things for 3 weeks. I would die if I could not eat anything fresh for that long.

Worst thing I think she'll get a discount if she recruit more people, so she is trying to sell it to us like crazy. My food budget is about $50 a week, I'm not spending $100 for a weeks worth of horrible powder.

OMG. We must work at the same place. My coworkers did this too. I think it was supposed to be some kind of keto thing. I caught them in the ladies room and they were peeing on these litmus looking sticks to see if they were in ketosis or something. Very weird. A week later one of the passed out at a customer meeting from starving herself.

Yikes! Yeah, I tuned out while she was talking about it, but it sounds like the same thing. I made a point of bringing berries and veggies to share every shift we worked together this week.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A coworker have started with these shakes and soups, which comes in these small portion packets and is powder mixed in water. It is insanely expensive and I honestly think it smells like vomit. And she is supposed to live on these things for 3 weeks. I would die if I could not eat anything fresh for that long.

Worst thing I think she'll get a discount if she recruit more people, so she is trying to sell it to us like crazy. My food budget is about $50 a week, I'm not spending $100 for a weeks worth of horrible powder.

OMG. We must work at the same place. My coworkers did this too. I think it was supposed to be some kind of keto thing. I caught them in the ladies room and they were peeing on these litmus looking sticks to see if they were in ketosis or something. Very weird. A week later one of the passed out at a customer meeting from starving herself.

Yikes! Yeah, I tuned out while she was talking about it, but it sounds like the same thing. I made a point of bringing berries and veggies to share every shift we worked together this week.

If she's doing keto, she can eat all of that. Sounds like something Dr. Oz-ish.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Someone in a comment thread on Facebook who said they would lose weight from eating 5,000 calories of vegetables per day, but that they would gain from 2,000 calories of McDonald's... And then did not seem to grasp that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.
  • rayrayfitz
    rayrayfitz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    LaSuiza wrote: »
    I had some n00b that set up an account yesterday and needs to lose 70lbs send me a message that I would lose weight if I just cut out snacks. Now I know why people don't make their food diaries public.

Lol!
    Someone told me I couldn't eat chocolate everyday if I want to lose weight...uhm hell yeah I can!

Technically it does. If we are cold are body raises our core temperature, this requires calories. Though it's negligible, and you would need to drink gallons of water to burn a calorie.

• rayrayfitz
    rayrayfitz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Pasta being 'free' on Weight Watchers. My friend was on it and literally filled up every meal with a huge plate of pasta and free veggies, only pointed her sauces etc... You can guess the rest.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    My mother's friend went on a medicine she didn't need because when her daughter took it, it made food taste bad so she lost weight. My mother suggested she could get the name of the drug for me so I could go on it too. The only down side is it makes your hair fall out but that's no big deal because "all pills have side effects." :wtf:
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    rayrayfitz wrote: »
    Pasta being 'free' on Weight Watchers. My friend was on it and literally filled up every meal with a huge plate of pasta and free veggies, only pointed her sauces etc... You can guess the rest.

Haha, I wish pasta was "free"!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    If you only cut out sodas you will lose all the weight you want. You might lose the first 10 from not drinking sodas but that will be it unless you exercises and diet. Also every stupid commercial saying if you shake this over your food you will lose weight.

Ummm ... No.

Just no.

If not drinking soda causes a deficit, you will continue to lose weight (long past "the first 10") for as long as you remain in deficit. No diet. No exercise. As long as abstaining continues to maintain a deficit ... which could *potentially* be ALL of the weight you need to lose, not just "the first 10"

Don't listen to this trash.

How you acquire and maintain your deficit is irrelevant. It absolutely can be done for many folks simply by switching from soda to water.

Where the fark does garbage like this come from, and why to folks spread it around?

• jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    My mother's friend went on a medicine she didn't need because when her daughter took it, it made food taste bad so she lost weight. My mother suggested she could get the name of the drug for me so I could go on it too. The only down side is it makes your hair fall out but that's no big deal because "all pills have side effects." :wtf:

Who wants to bother with shaving? actually., i'm appalled a mother would recommend this.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Breatharianism:
    "Breatharianism frequently involves sungazing in the dubious belief that nourishment can be gained directly from the sun's energy through the eye, even though it is not a photosynthesising organ. This is likely to be just a woo-based explanation of "energy", which has little or nothing to do with real definitions of energy as a state-function of what can perform work. As with most supposed techniques of its type, proponents claim that the arts of breatharianism take years to master - usually this sort of excuse allows proponents to ignore evidence based on people trying and failing at the technique. It clearly requires a great deal of courage and self-discipline to be able to keep a straight face while talking about staring at the sun as a viable solution of the world's starvation problems."

Woman Dies of Starvation While on an All-Sunlight Diet

"She spent a week eating and drinking nothing — not even her own saliva — while consuming only sunlight and air. She stopped for a few weeks at the behest of her children, but eventually resumed.

She was found dead in her home last winter; the cause of death was ruled to be starvation.

At least three other deaths have been attributed to the pseudoscientific practice of breatharianism since prominent advocate Ellen Greve (AKA Jasmuheen) began touting "pranic nourishment" in the 1990s."

Seattle woman stops eating and goes ‘breatharian’ for FIVE WEEKS in attempt to survive on water and light

"Plants live on light, then we eat plants," she wrote on Facebook May 3. "Are we simply not accessing our inherent ability to live on light? ... After hearing of the possibility that this might be true, I received a 'calling' from within, from the Universe, to find out if it is so.

But she also makes note on Facebook of unpleasant-sounding side effects such as weakness, throwing up bile, dizziness, and frozen hands."

Yup, nothing beats this one for crazy!

Breatharianism was created to rule them all, the one woo diet to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them all.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily a weight loss crazy, but the 'muscle weighs more than fat' argument, ergo one shouldn't lift weights or do anything strenuous to build muscle whilst dieting.

I did the single food diet (since eating a variety of foods 'confuses' the body, so it was explained) in the 80s (young, stupid, twenty-something) for about a week. Ate an oatmeal creme pie for every meal. Got horribly sick and then subsequently gained 10 lbs from the binge that followed.

Also did Vitamin B shots and diet pills in the 90s. Lost a lot of weight fast and then- you guessed it!- gained it all back. The Vitamin B shots sure did give me energy, though.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Another fad I keep seeing is the medicinal benefits of including chlorophyll in your diet. Now, I'm no plant, but apparently a lot of human beings swear by it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any diet/nutrition info ever posted on Facebook.

Pretty much any thread on MFP which has a title beginning with one of the following:
    "Looking for friends doing the _________"
    "Anyone here tried ___________?"
    "Does _______ really work?"
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you only cut out sodas you will lose all the weight you want.

oh how i wish that had been true for me! LOLOL

stupidest things ive heard... wow. too many to begin to even name (i have friends who do a lot of them... i would try to educate but it would be pointless, so i just continue with my cico and eating what i want- including meat, carbs and chocolate and pizza!) and still losing weight faster than them (and much more likely to keep it off) ;)

• sswanl
    sswanl Posts: 30
    Options
    Another fad I keep seeing is the medicinal benefits of including chlorophyll in your diet. Now, I'm no plant, but apparently a lot of human beings swear by it.

Chlorophyll diet? Lol. We use chlorophyll in dogs to help mask the scent of a female in heat.... and you can tell which one is taking it even if you didn't give it to them because they always had stained green lips and had that funky asparagus type smell to them... No thank you, I would rather die a few years early then walk around with a green tounge and stinky forever.

Now in the dog world, ask about the dog food diet. Yes it is for humans. But since dog food is made to the same standards as human food someone had the idea to just it it themselves when on the road. You supposedly could have any amount of dog food or dog treats you wanted. Thank god I consider cheese, steak and liver dog treats....
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Maybe not a diet tip, but that HGC diet where you take a shot (or drops) and eat like 500 calories a day. WTF? No thanks. My sister in law tried it, she lasted like 3 days.
  • sherbear702
    Options
    atorina21 wrote: »
    Eat more bacon--run less. It was a book advertised on I believe channel 5 recently. I believe it is "ridiculously interesting" personally.

That soundsd like the diet for me!
  • sherbear702
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rayrayfitz wrote: »

Pasta is not free (0 points vaule) on Weight Watchers...it's like 5-8 points per serving.