The most ridiculous diet tips you've ever heard?

Replies

• My own Mother who has yo-yo dieted for as long as I can remember is back on Weight Watchers. That's totally cool, I know it works for people. I hate that I keep being told MFP is too time consuming (i.e. weighing and logging, I may not be consistent but I do see results and it's free). Also that if I would just give up whole milk, whole sour cream, whole cheeses, etc., etc., etc. and only eat no fat/low fat/free substitutes, I would never have to worry about portion sizes or weighing or logging.

The funny thing about low fat stuff is that most of it is lies. If u compare the other nutritional content low fat is actually worse for you. Your better off eating full fat stuff but in better portion sizes.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Just saw an ad on tv (the Food network, which is either totally predictable or ironic, I can't decide which) for some stupid diet pill last night. It promises "lose all that fat, WITHOUT changing your LIFESTYLE!!!!"

Riiiiiiiight.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Had an instructor in kenpo tell me to throw up after a meal in order to make weight for a tournament.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Had an instructor in kenpo tell me to throw up after a meal in order to make weight for a tournament.

We used to take laxatives in wrestling if we knew we weren't going to make weight.
  • dbmata
    lol, yup. Just clear everything out. lol.
  • tincanonastring

Wrestling was the worst. I'm not sure if there's a more unhealthy sport out there for adolescents. VLC diets, extreme daily workouts (strength & cardio), solar suits in a sauna, laxatives/vomiting... I passed out at the dinner table once and my face landed in a plate of spaghetti.
  • dbmata
    I almost went into wrestling. I would not have accepted VLC anything. That's pretty unreal, these are kids during their most important growth period.
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    My Mother-In-Law told me if im craving something my body needs it. She wanted her Fat-Daughter-In-Law back to binge eat with her!
  • tincanonastring
    I almost went into wrestling. I would not have accepted VLC anything. That's pretty unreal, these are kids during their most important growth period.

This was almost 20 years ago (holy *kitten*, I can't believe I just typed that), so I'm not sure if that's still how they do it, but yeah. I remember eating 4 egg whites for breakfast, a cup of plain spaghetti for lunch, and then doing quarter mile sprints after practice, just hurling between each one. They'd put out trashcans out just for that purpose. It was horrible.
  • dbmata

This was almost 20 years ago (holy *kitten*, I can't believe I just typed that), so I'm not sure if that's still how they do it, but yeah. I remember eating 4 egg whites for breakfast, a cup of plain spaghetti for lunch, and then doing quarter mile sprints after practice, just hurling between each one. They'd put out trashcans out just for that purpose. It was horrible.
    The puke buckets were fun, not a lot of gyms have them anymore.

Had them for baseball. I almost miss that. lol. We weren't on any VLCD though.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member

Wrestling was the worst. I'm not sure if there's a more unhealthy sport out there for adolescents. VLC diets, extreme daily workouts (strength & cardio), solar suits in a sauna, laxatives/vomiting... I passed out at the dinner table once and my face landed in a plate of spaghetti.

I remember one of the guys showing up to school one day in his old cub scout uniform shirt. He'd dropped enough before a meet that a shirt he wore when he was 8 years old fit, and he wore the thing all week to celebrate. Everyone, wrestler or not, was extremely impressed. Looking back on it I wondered why on one hand the school was encouraging it, yet on the other, the girls' gym class was constantly being lectured about ED.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    "It's not the calories you have to worry about, it's the fat"
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Pupslice wrote: »
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    Eating cotton balls dipped in orange juice.

Shut up. This isn't actually a thing, right? You made that up. Please tell me you made that up. Please.

that's an old model trick but I knew girls in hs who did that. Fruit juice or flavored Jell-O. also they ate Kleenex. fills you up, 0 calories. sick and sad.

I've seen what happens on the other end when my dog gets into the trash and eats tissues... why would any person do that to themselves? Yikes.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    I used to work at a salon as a receptionist, and the stylists had the wackiest weight loss ideas. One of them got into hcg and sold it to a bunch of the girls. They were only eating 500 calories a day of b/s chicken breasts and steamed onions. They could have 2 pieces of melba toast a day. It was horrible... they were all fainting all over each other, hands shaking while cutting hair.
  • Just yesterday I read an article about weight lifters drinking breast milk for its nutritional value.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member

I saw a lot of that in crew. High Schools don't usually compete by weight, but at the college level, people trying to make the lightweight boats did all kinds of crazy stuff. Spitting into a ziplock bag all day, that stuff. I had the opposite issue "making weight," as I was a coxswain, and still a wee skinny thing back then -- they made me wear ankle weights one race because I was under the minimum.
  • bryandynaxus3
    bryandynaxus3 Posts: 51 Member
    Take one big breath and try not to breathe while doing your set of front squats and the bar rests on your wind pipe.

I've seen my fair share of videos, and if you do this ( heavy ) you're gonna face plant into the dumbbell rack. Gotta regulate breathing
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    liahna wrote: »
    Maybe not a diet tip, but that HGC diet where you take a shot (or drops) and eat like 500 calories a day. WTF? No thanks. My sister in law tried it, she lasted like 3 days.

This actually works, but it's still not worth it. You can't work out a lot and your food choices are extremely limited. It's only for a month, but I still wouldn't recommend it at all. Plus if you don't know enough about nutrition you can get screwed up so much. I got from 195 to 160 doing it 2 or 3 years ago. I gained the weight back in a year though, not because of HCG, but because I was lazy and was bad at eating back then. I have gone from 204 to 165 in 10 months the natural way and though it is slower I've loved every moment of it.

Oh, I believe this works. I just think it's a really stupid way to lose weight.
  • Did anyone mention yet the Jerod Subway diet yet?

Here's how...

Lose-Weight-on-a-Subway-Diet-Step-4.jpg

Tip #4 Burn more calories then you consume. So I recommend you follow a 1,000 to 1,300 calories a day!

(^Starts strong, finishes poorly.)

Lose-Weight-on-a-Subway-Diet-Step-6.jpg
    Tip #6 Do cardio exercises. Such as biking, swimming, running, or even walking for a bit will help burn calories. Also, do this for at least 3 hours a day (don't have to do it for 2 hours straight, spread it apart. Like, do it 30 minutes per every time you do it). Also, try walking to places if you can, because walking everywhere is a good substitute to exercise if you couldn't do too much cardio work.

(^Okay that cracks me.)

Did Jerod's super low calorie diet ultimately work... well, Wikipedia notes...
    "In January 2010, People magazine reported that Fogle had gained weight but was planning to restart his weight-loss program to stop the backslide and slim up for his wedding in the summer.[11]"
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    jpaulie wrote: »
    if you are giving birth, eat a pound of butter it will make the baby slide out easier (no really, my mother in law)

Yeah, maybe if you rubbed it all over your hooha first! Jeezus!