Harry Potter Weight Loss Challenge - Slytherin

Options

Replies

• ActiveFaith10
    ActiveFaith10 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish elbee! I have all the ingredients And will def try it out this week !
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Raquel,

Elbee1 and I are now partners. :)
  • ActiveFaith10
    Options
    Raquel,

Elbee1 and I are now partners. :)

Great thanks, is anyone else looking for a partner?
  • Ante_Up
    Ante_Up Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Laughing Cow cheese! Never thought to use it in cooking!

Here's the link to the Laughing Cow recipe thread on here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/206037-what-is-your-favorite-laughing-cow-cheese-recipe
    This is the thread that inspired me to buy some, and try out some recipes.

I actually had a bagel with laughing cow (herb & garlic) for breakfast today :)
  • lovezumba
    lovezumba Posts: 26
    Options
    Yesterday and today have so far been good for me!!!

Yesterday I walked for like an hour I think and then I did 30 minutes of zumba and I think 20 minutes of JD2 sweats!

So far today I have walked for 45 minutes and plan to walk that again tonight when I get home from class! Also later I plan on doing Zumba again and JD2 Sweats!!!

I also think that I drank(is that even a word???) 3 glasses of water!!!
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite recipes.

Roasted Butternut Squash with Moroccan Spices

4-5 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about one 2-lb squash)
    4 teaspoons olive oil
    1/2 tsp. kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Spice Mix (makes enough for 1 or 2 batches of roasted veggies):
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. ground coriander
    1/4 tsp. chile powder
    1/4 tsp. sweet paprika
    1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    1/8 tsp. ground ginger
    1/16 tsp. cayenne pepper
    pinch of ground cloves

1) Preheat oven to 450ºF. Line a roasting pan with tin foil and spray with cooking spray.

2) Peel butternut squash (or cut off skin if you don’t have a decent peeler) and chop off ends. Scrape out seeds, and cut squash into 3/4- or 1-inch cubes.

3) Toss squash well with olive oil, salt, pepper, and spice mix, making sure everything is pretty evenly distributed. You can double the spice mix if you like, too, especially if you’re using older spices. (I did this with half the batch and it came out well.)

4) Spread squash out on pan, and roast anywhere from 30 – 50 minutes, or until sides are brownish and squash is soft. (Mine only went for 30, but I cut the pieces a little smaller.)

5) Season with kosher salt and serve hot.

Approximate Calories, Fat, Fiber
    113 calories, 4.7 g fat, 3.3 g fiber

The spice mix that is used here is SO versatile. I used it last night to rub on chicken breasts before grilling. I have also used it for pork chops. I also used it to spice up my couscous - I used whole grain brown rice couscous, added a small handful of dried currants while boiling and some of the spice mix and then at the very end added a handful of chopped scallions. Yummers! If you want to use it for roasted veggies, as above, you can use pretty much any root vegetable with fabulous results! I have made the butternut squash (recipe exactly as it is posted here) for at least three potlucks and gotten rave reviews with NO leftovers!

I have found that the more flavorful I make my food with spices, the less I need to use fats, oils and salt.
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    That sounds lovely. I made tomato and Harissa soup tonight, bit of an experiment
  • CrisUndies
    CrisUndies Posts: 40
    Options
    This isn't a recipe really but we had tacos for dinner last night so I used about a tablespoon of the meat and made a mexician salad using salsa, creme fraiche (substitute for sour cream), some onion lettuce, cucumber, and a tomato. Would of used some jalapenos as well if we had any but we didn't.

Lets do better than Gryffindor now this week :)
  • Charice
    Charice Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This is a great soup recipe that my kids really like...and it is easy on calories and very very easy to make!

Taco Soup

2 cans stewed tomatoes
    1 can red kidney beans
    1/2 lb ground beef, browned
    1 medium onion (cooked with ground beef)
    1 can tomato sauce
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1/2 package Taco Seasoning

Put it all in a large sauce pan, bring to a boil, simmer 15 minutes. Serve over tortilla chips with sour cream and grated cheese.
    Soup (alone) makes 12 servings at 151 calories per serving!

I skip the sour cream and only use a few chips. The soup is also very good without the other stuff on it too.
  • ActiveFaith10
    Options
    Blunt Card:
    Why is it that the very last members on each house to update their current weight, drastically decreased our overall goal percentages??
    Because they dont find the time to stay active on MFP and I'm sure they didnt set as weekly specific goals to push themselves! Everyone has time to do what they want, its a matter of priority, i know some people are super busy and stressed. but, really it's what people find the time for, priorities, 10 minute workouts throughout the day is still awesome, thats 3 work outs for a half hour

Im proud to see that we came in second, but seriously, no goals no glory! We can do this!

Goals for the week:
    20 miles running/HIIT/walking 4miles done
    3x yoga 3x jillian's NTZ 1yoga done, 1 jillian done
    3 recipes 1 done-- half whole wheat bagel, toasted, feta and tomato on top with sprinkled oregano
    alternate days for hundredpushups challenge and as routine. week one pushups done, abs-staying on track
    tennis tomorrow(logging it in as QUITTICH PRACTICE), hiking thursday (logging it is as Hiking in the Forbidden Forest )
    3500 weekly burn, 1018 done, on track.

what's yours?

better yet, what are the goals of your partners and howre they doing? support and motivation

Slytherins are about ambition, LETS GO!l
  • thetigerzeye
    thetigerzeye Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think the Gryffindors are up to no good, there is NO WAY they got 2.4 or whatever for their percentage when EVERY OTHER house got less than 1... I think we need to check into that. I thought WE were supposed to be sneaky.... >.<
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am SOOOOOOOO sorry! I mistyped one weight...we lost .73%...ahhh....so sorry!!! I need to watch what I type.. :(

It's official Gryffindor tried to cheat and got a guilty conscience :wink: We might have won the weigh-in this week they need our % out to the thousandths place to be sure of the winner. The fact that it is this close is making me feel even worse that I didn't loose anything last week. More motivation for this week!
  • shellybeelee
    Options
    Blunt Card:
    Why is it that the very last members on each house to update their current weight, drastically decreased our overall goal percentages??
    Because they dont find the time to stay active on MFP and I'm sure they didnt set as weekly specific goals to push themselves! Everyone has time to do what they want, its a matter of priority, i know some people are super busy and stressed. but, really it's what people find the time for, priorities, 10 minute workouts throughout the day is still awesome, thats 3 work outs for a half hour

Im proud to see that we came in second, but seriously, no goals no glory! We can do this!

Goals for the week:
    20 miles running/HIIT/walking 4miles done
    3x yoga 3x jillian's NTZ 1yoga done, 1 jillian done
    3 recipes 1 done-- half whole wheat bagel, toasted, feta and tomato on top with sprinkled oregano
    alternate days for hundredpushups challenge and as routine. week one pushups done, abs-staying on track
    tennis tomorrow(logging it in as QUITTICH PRACTICE), hiking thursday (logging it is as Hiking in the Forbidden Forest )
    3500 weekly burn, 1018 done, on track.

what's yours?

better yet, what are the goals of your partners and howre they doing? support and motivation

Slytherins are about ambition, LETS GO!l

Hey raquel =) I just wanted to say that you had an awesome point here and reading that is motivating in itself. I felt really sick today with a cold and was really depressed from stuff going on at home and it ended with me eating tons of comfort food.. but after wards i just felt awful. i just screwed up... but its about getting back up and saying okay time to move on. And that is why we are here so we DON't forget what we need to do everyday. . Can't wait to pick back up tomorrow.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Just wanted to update--I did 45 mins in the gym monday lifting weights and doing some walking, and yesterday was my interval day. I was on the treadmill for about 30 mins.

I probably won't be able to do the exercise challenge outside this week because we are slotted for poor weather! And I am thinking hard of a recipe to share, but we don't do much cooking and the cooking we DO is pretty ordinary most of the time--i.e. tacos, spaghetti, etc.. :\ Hope everyone has a great day!
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Blunt Card:

Well, since I am the only one that gained weight this week I'm guessing this is about me.... :grumble: Anyone that has been in other competitions with me knows I'm usually a great competitor. My goal for last week and this week has simply been to survive. My weigh-in this week (and probably next week too) was not great because I've sitting in a hospice center all week while my dad is living out his final days. I figured this competition was a long competition and if I was "off" for the first 2 weeks or so, it would be okay because I could come back with vengeance. If that is a problem, let me know directly.
  • dawnkitchen
    dawnkitchen Posts: 161
    Options
    What kind of workouts do you all do when you have a cold?
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Are we supposed to let you all know what sort of work outs we are doing? Also, a recipe? LOL Mine is pretty simple,

Mon, Wed, Fri - I get at LEAST 30 minutes of cardio in. I have an elliptical in front of my 60 inch tv and it's baseball season. So instead of sitting on my huge *kitten* and watching the Yankees win, I hop on the elliptical. I also play racquetball, spar with my girlfriend (boxing gloves and focus mits), use a taba timer while hitting the punching bag and enjoy general spazzy dancing and jumping around my apartment. (hey, it gets my heart rate up!)

Tues and Thur - I lift weights. Before I lift weights I do at LEAST 10 minutes of Cardio.

Sat - is always different. But cardio (elliptical) is always involved. Maybe some racquetball. Lots of walking and sex. LOL (sorry but that burns calories too :tongue: )

As far as food goes....I cook every night. Either ground turkey or chicken. My girlfriend and I eat very little processed food and consume lots of fruit and veggies.

So yeah....I don't do "recipes", I just cook every night. Turkey tacos, chicken and rice (yes I eat rice), ground turkey and veggies. Just whatever I feel like doing that night.

BRING IT! I want us to blow every other house out of the water!!
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't want to stir up a fight here, but we are supposed to be supporting each other, not being critical. I don't suppose anyone meant to sound that way but things can be interpreted differently by others, especially when it's written down and you can't hear the tone or see the facial expression. We're all going to have weeks where other stuff has to take priority.

We might be Slytherins but I hope we can still play nice *g*
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I overreacted :embarassed: Sorry, guess I am a true Slytherin! :flowerforyou:
  • ActiveFaith10
    Options
    I was just trying to make a point that we should all stay active daily and make goals if we want to improve. :) Wasnt trying to smash on anyone and it def. wasnt suppose to be at anyone individually. I think we did an awesome job this week! Hufflepuff won this weeks, but I know we can win this week:)

Did you read people commenting on the main thread that they hope anyone but Slytherin won?? Lets show them what we're all about! :) Go Teammm !!