The most ridiculous diet tips you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Not real crazy but...

I once heard that you should put your fork/spoon down between every bite. It will supposedly take you a longer time to eat and you will feel full before your are finished with what's on your plate.

It reminds me of an episode of The Beverly Hillbillies in which Jethro talked about snacking between bites.
  • rebeccamorgan58152
    Options

"Plants live on light, then we eat plants," she wrote on Facebook May 3. "Are we simply not accessing our inherent ability to live on light? ... After hearing of the possibility that this might be true, I received a 'calling' from within, from the Universe, to find out if it is so.

But she also makes note on Facebook of unpleasant-sounding side effects such as weakness, throwing up bile, dizziness, and frozen hands."

Of course, humans are well known for their ability to photosynthesize carbs. LOL. I love watching natural selection in action.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Kim_S_G wrote: »
    Not real crazy but...

I once heard that you should put your fork/spoon down between every bite. It will supposedly take you a longer time to eat and you will feel full before your are finished with what's on your plate.

It reminds me of an episode of The Beverly Hillbillies in which Jethro talked about snacking between bites.

Maybe it's a generation thing, but I was taught that was manners, not diet strategy.
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Everything that comes out of Freelee and Durianrider's mouths.

Definitely this- only just came across Freelee yesterday and am absolutely infuriated by what comes out of her mouth. Any 'diet' that cuts out any food group for non-medical reasons is ridiculous, not sustainable and dangerous! Gah!!!!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Not real crazy but...

Maybe it's a generation thing, but I was taught that was manners, not diet strategy.

Me too and she's older than us.

But it does remind me of that fork that is supposed to make food smell like something else.

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    An indian friend said that when one person loses weight it goes on another

I am sooooo going to shed and throw "out there" all the lbs random strangers have apparently passed my way over the years... Innocent bystanders beware >:)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    That you have to do so and so to kick start your metabolism.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    That you have to do so and so to kick start your metabolism.
    I hate it when my metabolism takes a hiatus it's like days to get it going again. </end sarcasm>
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    That I had to eat breakfast to kick start my metabolism.

UGH. All that ever did for me was kick start my appetite for the day. I'm happiest eating in a small window every day, and I'm not really hungry until about 6 or 7 hours until after I get up.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    My wife has bought countless diet pills over the years.

An indian friend said that when one person loses weight it goes on another person.

What about those belt machines from the 50s that shook the fat off.

I did Isagenix cleanse program that worked for a bit then I hated the starvation days and quickly went back to stuffing my face and added all the weight back.

Hold up! I NEED more details!

Do we get to pick the person our weight transfers to? This could be fun!

jk, I'm not that mean that I would wish weight gain on anyone. But its fun to imagine!
  • twb119
    Options
    Anything that starts," No exercise or watching what you eat!"..."Lose weight fast and keep it off"..."Eat whatever you want!"
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    Cazzy34 wrote: »
    bingo_jenn wrote: »
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    rayrayfitz wrote: »
    Pasta being 'free' on Weight Watchers. My friend was on it and literally filled up every meal with a huge plate of pasta and free veggies, only pointed her sauces etc... You can guess the rest.

Pasta was never "free" on Weight Watchers. It sounds like she had it backwards, the plain veggies are free, but not the sauces or pasta.

They have the points plan, then a filling plan. The filling plan kind of has pasta (whole-wheat) being free. But the part with that is you are supposed to eat for hunger, not just for fun. :smile: I do the filling plan and still measure my pasta to be a serving because I know I could eat the **** out of pasta with veggies.

Maybe they were on slimming world? All their pasta, rice, potatoes are all free!!

The most ridiculous diet tip i've heard was to go get colonic hydrotherapy! Of course its gonna make you lose weight (initially) after all the crap has been flushed out of you (literally) lol

No no..WW did it years ago. I don't know if they still do. I remember for my very brief stint there they offered both plans and my jaw literally dropped. No way I could do the filling one! I would have myself convinced whatever portion was all good lol. Not now though thank god.

I do it now and the only way it works is if you already know what a reasonable portion is. It's more about being in tune with your hunger. I haven't heard a lot of success stories from it, though, since most people's issues are portion control. I think it's a more sustainable plan than regular pointsplus or CICO. I get sick of counting everything I eat, but this way, I'm more willing to pick lower calorie filling foods if I'm actually hungry and don't have any weekly or activity points left. It's all a mind game.
  • Wildflowers70
    Wildflowers70 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    200g of milk chocolate is only around 1100 calories so most people would probably lose weight. Though they would gain little nutritional benefit.

Not to mention a severe bout of constipation.
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    Options
    Everything that comes out of the mouth of overweight people who swear all they eat is a cracker a day. Then there's the underweight people who swear they just have a fast metabolism and they eat all day, but then you find out they ate an egg white for breakfast and an apple for lunch. I'm plagued by both kinds at my work. Let's be honest peeps!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Not real crazy but...

Irrational and silly social conventions are irrational and silly.

• Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Eat clean and you don't have to worry about calories.

This is something I see a lot from people lol
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

UGH. All that ever did for me was kick start my appetite for the day. I'm happiest eating in a small window every day, and I'm not really hungry until about 6 or 7 hours until after I get up.

I'm so glad it's not only me. If I eat as soon as I get up, my appetite is like "We're doing this all day, right? RIGHT?" If I just have some coffee and then an early brunch/lunch? I'm good.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Juice everything instead of eating it as regular food lol
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

YES :s ! When I was losing, I hardly ever ate breakfast until after 11 AM. Coffee (and a bit of cream/sugar) only at 7am, else I was ravenous and hangry the whole darn day.

Actually, now that I'm maintaining, my "trick/strategy" to getting used to the higher calories IS to eat an early breakfast (YMMV, of course).

Eat in whatever time frame works for yourself and your goals, is my motto. Yet, I have friends/family that tell me I'm "wrong" for saying that, and I'm "hurting" myself for skipping breakfast, and now that I'm eating right up until bedtime, since my strategy isn't published on the cover of a grocery store "women's healthy" magazine :'(
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Things that make me LOL for diet advice

You can only eat up to 1200 a day to lose weight.
    Carbs are bad and same person then says they will only eat fruit and veggies... LOL
    Fat free is good for you.
    Don't eat sugar