The most ridiculous diet tips you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• k2mexox
    k2mexox Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My own Mother who has yo-yo dieted for as long as I can remember is back on Weight Watchers. That's totally cool, I know it works for people. I hate that I keep being told MFP is too time consuming (i.e. weighing and logging, I may not be consistent but I do see results and it's free). Also that if I would just give up whole milk, whole sour cream, whole cheeses, etc., etc., etc. and only eat no fat/low fat/free substitutes, I would never have to worry about portion sizes or weighing or logging.

Usually when something is low cal or low fat or fat free or whatever, the badness is made up in another form so really sometimes the whole options are the best. I realized this when I started studying food labels.
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    k2mexox wrote: »
    My own Mother who has yo-yo dieted for as long as I can remember is back on Weight Watchers. That's totally cool, I know it works for people. I hate that I keep being told MFP is too time consuming (i.e. weighing and logging, I may not be consistent but I do see results and it's free). Also that if I would just give up whole milk, whole sour cream, whole cheeses, etc., etc., etc. and only eat no fat/low fat/free substitutes, I would never have to worry about portion sizes or weighing or logging.

Usually when something is low cal or low fat or fat free or whatever, the badness is made up in another form so really sometimes the whole options are the best. I realized this when I started studying food labels.

Agreed! And I find that using whole options not only taste better and have a better texture, I end up eating less of them because they are way more satisfying. Like in oatmeal, if I use skim milk I'm hungry in an hour or 2, but if I use whole milk I won't be hungry for 4 hours sometimes more. To me taking the time to weigh, log, and track is so worth it. (Now I just need to get consistent :smile: )
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    Someone in a comment thread on Facebook who said they would lose weight from eating 5,000 calories of vegetables per day, but that they would gain from 2,000 calories of McDonald's... And then did not seem to grasp that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

Good Lord. And just HOW one does eat 5000 calories of vegetables per day?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    Someone in a comment thread on Facebook who said they would lose weight from eating 5,000 calories of vegetables per day, but that they would gain from 2,000 calories of McDonald's... And then did not seem to grasp that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

Good Lord. And just HOW one does eat 5000 calories of vegetables per day?

Deep fry them first?
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Diet Pills!

I love how they come with that disclaimer about "eating right" and getting "plenty of exercise" ...

And at the bottom of every testimonial "results not typical".

Aha.
  • rayrayfitz
    rayrayfitz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    rayrayfitz wrote: »
    Pasta being 'free' on Weight Watchers. My friend was on it and literally filled up every meal with a huge plate of pasta and free veggies, only pointed her sauces etc... You can guess the rest.

Pasta is not free (0 points vaule) on Weight Watchers...it's like 5-8 points per serving.

It depends which plan you're on? On some plans it's free, so jacket potatoes, veg etc, fruit isn't.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    My wife has bought countless diet pills over the years.

An indian friend said that when one person loses weight it goes on another person.

What about those belt machines from the 50s that shook the fat off.

I did Isagenix cleanse program that worked for a bit then I hated the starvation days and quickly went back to stuffing my face and added all the weight back.
  • csaeraan
    csaeraan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    nickylee76 wrote: »
    At work, we have a lot of really thin Asian ladies. They claim by drinking hot water with their meals, that it melts the fat in their bodies to help stay thin.

HAHA I heard the opposite... Drinking ice cold water burns more calories...Uhhhhh OK?

That is actually true because your body then has to heat the water up to your core temperature to use it therefore, burning more calories. Simples.

• Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Someone that I know was on this "cleansing" diet. No idea what the name is. But not only was she on a restricted liquid diet, but she also had to use enemas and suppositories once (possibly twice) a day. WTH? :o
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Breatharianism:
    "Breatharianism frequently involves sungazing in the dubious belief that nourishment can be gained directly from the sun's energy through the eye, even though it is not a photosynthesising organ. This is likely to be just a woo-based explanation of "energy", which has little or nothing to do with real definitions of energy as a state-function of what can perform work. As with most supposed techniques of its type, proponents claim that the arts of breatharianism take years to master - usually this sort of excuse allows proponents to ignore evidence based on people trying and failing at the technique. It clearly requires a great deal of courage and self-discipline to be able to keep a straight face while talking about staring at the sun as a viable solution of the world's starvation problems."

Woman Dies of Starvation While on an All-Sunlight Diet

"She spent a week eating and drinking nothing — not even her own saliva — while consuming only sunlight and air. She stopped for a few weeks at the behest of her children, but eventually resumed.

She was found dead in her home last winter; the cause of death was ruled to be starvation.

At least three other deaths have been attributed to the pseudoscientific practice of breatharianism since prominent advocate Ellen Greve (AKA Jasmuheen) began touting "pranic nourishment" in the 1990s."

Seattle woman stops eating and goes ‘breatharian’ for FIVE WEEKS in attempt to survive on water and light

"Plants live on light, then we eat plants," she wrote on Facebook May 3. "Are we simply not accessing our inherent ability to live on light? ... After hearing of the possibility that this might be true, I received a 'calling' from within, from the Universe, to find out if it is so.

But she also makes note on Facebook of unpleasant-sounding side effects such as weakness, throwing up bile, dizziness, and frozen hands."

Holy sh**.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the chocolate mono thing finally got to MFP. The thing is that people do weigh less afterwards, you just feel terrible the entire time.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    An indian friend said that when one person loses weight it goes on another person.

funny you say that, I've lost 18 pounds since last month and my husband has GAINED 18 pounds since last month.....

LMAO!

(in all fairness its mostly water retention from a new pill but i still find it funny ;) )
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    That my body needed a reboot and should do a cleanse....I'm not a computer...no reboot or cleanse needed.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Pasta being 'free' on Weight Watchers. My friend was on it and literally filled up every meal with a huge plate of pasta and free veggies, only pointed her sauces etc... You can guess the rest.

Pasta was never "free" on Weight Watchers. It sounds like she had it backwards, the plain veggies are free, but not the sauces or pasta.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    If pasta was free, I'm soooo on that diet. :p
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite was from the book Skinny B*tch, where the authors said that eggs make you fat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    At this point, anyone who disagrees with CICO. It is the only method that works.
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »

Pasta was never "free" on Weight Watchers. It sounds like she had it backwards, the plain veggies are free, but not the sauces or pasta.

They have the points plan, then a filling plan. The filling plan kind of has pasta (whole-wheat) being free. But the part with that is you are supposed to eat for hunger, not just for fun. :smile: I do the filling plan and still measure my pasta to be a serving because I know I could eat the **** out of pasta with veggies.

• salemxo
    Options

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat