What do you think the size of a healthy woman would be?

Options

Replies

• sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    benefiting wrote: »
    I just read an article about how a woman who is a size 14 (Australian) is classed as a plus size model. I would assume that healthy woman would infact be around size 12-14 (size 10-12 for US) and yet this woman is being called plus size?!

I guess it all depends on body type, but I would be fat in a US size 10 even. I'm usually a size 6, can wear size 4 in some brands when I'm at my ideal weight (which is not skinny either).
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    I'm a US sz. 4-6 (depends on cut). Still considered overweight, based on my height.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    healthy is as healthy does. It is not defined by the size stitched into your clothing.

Emma_Watson_THIS_Gif.gif

• WishesOnTheStar
    WishesOnTheStar Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For me 40-55kg (88-120lb) is a perfect range for a girl < 5'9"

Healthy depends more upon body fat %, diet, and lifestyle than things like dress size. Hard to relate the two, but for sure a sedentary lifestyle with high sugar intake is going to lead to higher bf% and health problems.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I would judge by the amount of fat around their heart and other organs.

Ima go with this too.

• benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Size varies on so many things. So does weight. It's simply impossible to pick one size or one weight that equals healthy. You have asked an unanswerable question.

I refuse to think it's an unanwerable question because I didn't say whether it was health or not, due to it obviously not being an accurate way of measument but the veiw of the viewers and aspiring to be thin like the models themselves. Do people find the size 0 or so models to be the ideal or do they think someone who is closer to a plus size to be more ideal? That is what I'm getting at.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Under 7'. Over that she'll continuously hit her head on ceiling fans, door frames and such....that would be unhealthy.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Who defines what THE ideal body size is? This is a completely different question from your OP about health, BTW.

But, to whoever makes the body size rules out there...

pmoCJrN.gif

• Morgan5647
    Morgan5647 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Love to say how "size labels" don't matter but unfortunately in today's World, this is normally the catalyst for people trying to lose weight and get fit. I teach teenagers and can categorically say that "health reasons" are the last things on their minds, they are see skinny models and think that's the "perfect" weight to be healthy.

Im a size 8 uk (4 us) at 5ft4 but wouldn't consider myself skinny, I exercise regularly and would be very healthy in general but like most other people I would still like to be skinnier. The ideal healthy size I think depends on the person themselves.
  • benefiting
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Who defines what THE ideal body size is? This is a completely different question from your OP about health, BTW.

pmoCJrN.gif

Nope. My orginal question was the first paragraph I wrote but I believe I wrote the second part so people are aware I know it isn't how you measure health. The orginal question was what size do you find healthy not what is it actually healthy which I later said was more towards what we precieve as a healthy size not what is a healthy size. I may of worded it wrong but I know what I mean and some have realised that too. :)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Size varies on so many things. So does weight. It's simply impossible to pick one size or one weight that equals healthy. You have asked an unanswerable question.

I refuse to think it's an unanwerable question because I didn't say whether it was health or not, due to it obviously not being an accurate way of measument but the veiw of the viewers and aspiring to be thin like the models themselves. Do people find the size 0 or so models to be the ideal or do they think someone who is closer to a plus size to be more ideal? That is what I'm getting at.

I googled Laura Wells and she honestly looks overweight to me. She may or may not be healthy...I am not her doctor so can't say...but I think she is definitely plus sized and not at all what I consider ideal in terms of body. I'm not saying she is unattractive...she is pretty. But she would look much better if she lost a few pounds, but that is just my opinion. But then you are asking for my opinion, so I am giving it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would probably go with body fat percentage and overall physical health. I know there are size 2's who can barely make it up a flight of stairs and size 14's that run miles at a time. I have been unhealthy and healthy at different times in my life while wearing the same size pants.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

pmoCJrN.gif

Nope. My orginal question was the first paragraph I wrote but I believe I wrote the second part so people are aware I know it isn't how you measure health. The orginal question was what size do you find healthy not what is it actually healthy which I later said was more towards what we precieve as a healthy size not what is a healthy size. I may of worded it wrong but I know what I mean and some have realised that too. :)

But then you ask if a model size 0 is ideal or if a plus size is ideal. Ideal by what standards?

This question has no answer. If it's health standards, it depends on a physical. We can't determine what is healthy or not by size, unless morbid obesity is apparent. How can one say that a 10 is less healthy than a 2 without knowing medical status. So, that doesn't work.

If it's a physical beauty ideal that you are getting at, it depends on personal preference. There is no one right way to be. Some people like very skinny women. Others like big women. No one is right or wrong.

Instead of trying to answer the impossible, it's better to just not care. Focus instead on being the best version of yourself you can be, regardless of what a made-up, airbrushed, professionally clothed model looks like on paper.

• benefiting
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

I googled Laura Wells and she honestly looks overweight to me. She may or may not be healthy...I am not her doctor so can't say...but I think she is definitely plus sized and not at all what I consider ideal in terms of body. I'm not saying she is unattractive...she is pretty. But she would look much better if she lost a few pounds, but that is just my opinion. But then you are asking for my opinion, so I am giving it.

Thank you, this is the type of stuff I am looking for. I want to know whether people think models around this size seem to be plus size or not. I thought that some people may have a particlar size they think is ideal but apparently many people don't take that too seriously as I thought. :smile:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

Healthy depends more upon body fat %, diet, and lifestyle than things like dress size. Hard to relate the two, but for sure a sedentary lifestyle with high sugar intake is going to lead to higher bf% and health problems.

Did you really just say it is ok for a grown woman to weigh 88lbs? A ten year old weighs that. Only if she is a dwarf would that be ok.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I don't view certain clothing sizes as healthy or unhealthy because it depends on height and body type. A 5'10" woman could be a size 10 or 12 and be healthy...or she could be overweight. It depends on how much is muscle vs fat and where she carries the weight.

But a 5'3" woman who is a size ten or 12 is almost certainly overweight.

Just because a size is average doesn't mean it is healthy. 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese, so average is not a good thing here.

This^

If I have to give an opinion about what I think is a healthy size, then 0-8. I know there are plenty of factors excluded, but the OP asked it directly. We are a nation full of overweight and obese people, change the title of plus size to 18-24 and it would still be offensive to most of the US

I also know that body fat% is a much greater indicator of health (fat around organs) than dress size. Don't care if you have better BP than your friends that weigh less, high % of bf and/or high BMI (even though it is a flawed scale at best) is an indicator for a huge amount of morbidities
  • benefiting
    Options

pmoCJrN.gif

But then you ask if a model size 0 is ideal or if a plus size is ideal. Ideal by what standards?

This question has no answer. If it's health standards, it depends on a physical. We can't determine what is healthy or not by size, unless morbid obesity is apparent. How can one say that a 10 is less healthy than a 2 without knowing medical status. So, that doesn't work.

If it's a physical beauty ideal that you are getting at, it depends on personal preference. There is no one right way to be. Some people like very skinny women. Others like big women. No one is right or wrong.

Instead of trying to answer the impossible, it's better to just not care. Focus instead on being the best version of yourself you can be, regardless of what a made-up, airbrushed, professionally clothed model looks like on paper.

I said if you think 0 is ideal or if something closer to plus size is ideal I believe (and if I didn't I need to learn to prove read and such) and by ideal I mean ideal to you. That's why the question says: What do you think the size of a healthy woman would be because it's your opinion about the subject, not anyone elses. I am getting at physical apperence and not internal which I think I have stated before.

I don't tend to care about the modelling world as I know that it isn't realstic and such but just because we know better doesn't mean that there is people out there not being affected by the sitution. I think they should just call them models, not plus size and such. It's body shaming in a way.
  • Morgan5647
    Morgan5647 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    @benefiting‌

What size do you think "ideal" is?
  • benefiting
    edited February 2015
    Options

Did you really just say it is ok for a grown woman to weigh 88lbs? A ten year old weighs that. Only if she is a dwarf would that be ok.

Word.

I think anything under 125 for anyone over 4 feet 8 is underweight and the fact is the taller you are the more weigh the more weight you should have on you and based on BMI alone someone who is 125LB at 5"10 is underweight. I know it all comes down to body type and such but that my rule of thumb.