Diet fizzy juice?

Options

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Also, I've never heard diet soda or pop referred to as "diet fizzy juice" but I like it! The next time I hear people debate whether to call it "pop" or "soda" I'm going to insist that "diet fizzy juice" is the proper term. Should make it more interesting.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    http://examine.com/faq/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you.html

yeahsciencebitch.PNG

Ninja Edit: Not calling OP a *kitten*, just enjoying the catchphrase. I actually had Richard Dawkins' quote in mind, but this image will do :)

• jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    my 2 cents. I found an article last week that I canNOT relocate-that said artificial sweeteners go straight to your liver. your live then works to metabolize them so it's not doing its real work of breaking down and storing fats and sugars and food. I stopped them all last saturday.. we'll see how it goes
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    jerber160 wrote: »
    my 2 cents. I found an article last week that I canNOT relocate-that said artificial sweeteners go straight to your liver. your live then works to metabolize them so it's not doing its real work of breaking down and storing fats and sugars and food. I stopped them all last saturday.. we'll see how it goes

I've heard that about alcohol but never artificial sweeteners. Besides, how long would it take to metabolize a little bit of artificial sweeteners? I can't imagine it would be long enough to make a difference even if this were true.
  • livv365
    livv365 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Also, I've never heard diet soda or pop referred to as "diet fizzy juice" but I like it! The next time I hear people debate whether to call it "pop" or "soda" I'm going to insist that "diet fizzy juice" is the proper term. Should make it more interesting.

I'm scottish so if I used the word pop or soda to someone they would probably laugh at me! Haha x
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    In Texas many people call it "coke" no matter what actual soda you're drinking. As an Air Force Brat I lived a few places, but soda must be what my parents called it.
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat a 'clean' diet so none of the commercial fizzy juices for me. I do on occasion when I'm really craving it, have some flavored stevia drops in club soda/seltzer. They make flavors like grape, cola, root beer, vanilla cream... so it tastes like a soda but with less potential for harm.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    livv365 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I'm scottish so if I used the word pop or soda to someone they would probably laugh at me! Haha x

Good to know - thank you! I learn something new here every day.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    What is diet fizzy juice?

dizzy fiet juice
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    For the record OP, I just love Irn Bru! It’s so hard to get the original recipe here in Canada!

Anyway, I second the comments that everything we eat is chemicals, and not to worry too much.

I like fizzy drinks myself, and as mineral water is a bit pricey I usually get the naturally-flavoured lemon or lime unsweetened club soda (basically just sparkling water - if memory serves from my study abroad, the Tesco value brand is under 25p for 2l!) If you want to change things up, I reckon you can get a good quality natural squash and mix it with that to make your own fizzy juice, though that would have some calories :smile:.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    The name for carbonated soft drinks is very regional, at least here in the US. When I lived in Atlanta, under the shadow of the Coca-Cola building, everything was Coke. Here in Central Wisconsin we're at the border of Pop and Soda country:
    iUZVO6V.png
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    For the record OP, I just love Irn Bru! It’s so hard to get the original recipe here in Canada!
    I'm old enough to remember the old Irn Bru ads... Made in Scotland from girders...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4PxuFQCDis
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I eat a 'clean' diet so none of the commercial fizzy juices for me. I do on occasion when I'm really craving it, have some flavored stevia drops in club soda/seltzer. They make flavors like grape, cola, root beer, vanilla cream... so it tastes like a soda but with less potential for harm.

Yeah.... No. Those "drops" like have the SAME artificial sweetnERs and "chemicals" as diet soda. Most do. So basically, you are a self admitting hypocrite.

Also- please show evidence of those so called harm...
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I'm old enough to remember the old Irn Bru ads... Made in Scotland from girders...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4PxuFQCDis

That video made my week. Thank you so much for sharing :smile: .
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't drink any of that diet stuff.
    Here in Australia we call fizzy drinks by their actual names: coke, sprite, fanta, solo etc etc
    What do y'all do when you ask for a drink at a restaurant or wherever? You can't say " give me a glass of pop or soda", right?
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    livv365 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! Google made it sound like it was so bad for me and drinking it would mean no weight loss! Lol x

Moving forward on your weight loss journey, only listen to science based research, peer reviewed studies...etc. If you just google something, you will get 10,000 hits from random websites that just write opinion pieces. The diet industry is 99% a scam so always be weary.

^^ this. And I'll probably get ripped apart for saying this, but personally, I don't really post any questions on here unless it's to get a consumer review about a non-consumable product (sneakers, gloves, etc).

Most people, imo, on MFP lose some weight, hit 1K posts and all of the sudden they're fitness and nutrition experts.

I don't know, if you've managed to lose 50+lbs by doing things a certain way, wouldn't you tell people what worked? Plus, I imagine many members have researched what is and was isn't a fad, or a myth. And probably know what they are talking about.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Annie3623 wrote: »
    If you don't mind drinking chemicals then it's fine for you, anything that can be used to as a household cleaning product in my eyes, is never a good move.

So you don't eat tomatoes sauce?

So many things can be used for cleaning that I'm sure you don't even give a 2nd glance at eating.

I drink fizzy drink. As long as your getting enough water or not drinking enough coke etc to make you blind you should be fine.

Fizzy drink for the win, pff soda sounds weird. It's fizzy, it's soft(not alcoholic) and its a drink. Fizzy soft drink, simples.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Do you mean carbonated water? Nothing wrong with that. I don't particularly care for the artificial sweeteners, but I love raspberry-lime sparkling water. Apparently it doesn't hydrate as well as regular water so it shouldn't be your ONLY source of water, but it certainly won't kill your diet.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Here in Australia we call fizzy drinks by their actual names: coke, sprite, fanta, solo etc etc
    What do y'all do when you ask for a drink at a restaurant or wherever? You can't say " give me a glass of pop or soda", right?
    With regards to what you call your drink. As a group it's pop but surely you call it it's name. This lady has the only sane answer on here. Lol
    [/quote ]

[/quote]

They batter and deep fry Mars bars and pizza in Scotland. So they call there pop juice so it sounds more healthy. (I am allowed to call the jocks my grandmother was glaswegian) not sure how old you are op but try find / buy a soda stream. Big in the 80s but made a come back a few yrs back. You put water in a glass with any flavouring you like and push the button to get instant fizzy juice......(it's catching) I mean pop. You can do any flavour you like then most of the time then now and then have a full fat iron bru for a treat. If your concerned about chemicals.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Curious. How do you inquire about that general kind of beverage?

Say for example you're going to stop in at a convenience store and are getting a drink, and you ask your travelling companion if they would like one. How do you ask? You certainly wouldn't say "Would you like a coke? No? How about a sprite? No? How about a fanta?"

To answer your question, if I know what I want I'll order the specific product. If I don't know what the establishment has, I'll first check the menu or ask the server.