Lower cal junk foods

Options

Replies

• tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Oreos..2 cookies for 110 calories. Popcorn of all sorts of flavours is usually low cal for the amount you get to eat.
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    There's always one or two people in every thread where someone uses the term 'healthy' or 'junk food' or the like to try to point out that there is no 'bad' food and 'healthy' is relative.

But junk food is a pretty common term, and I'm pretty sure we all know what the OP means when she asks for junk food crap.

So it's not right for someone to explain why foods are just food? We should just continue to label and chastise food based on misconceptions then, huh? Seems fair.

Not shaming you for that, but in doing that you take focus away from the question OP asked. She asked for "junk food crap" recommendations, and you know what she meant. If you'd like to explain that "food is just food", I wouldn't pirate someone else's thread by focusing on something entirely different; I'd start my own thread in which I explain "food is just food" and let people contribute as they wish.

All I'm saying is you knew what OP meant by saying "junk food crap".

I also forgot to add, for dessert sometimes, I mix protein powder with Lite Cool Whip and it tastes like chocolate mousse. Satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like to have some chocolate. I usually go for two Dove dark chocolate bites and let them melt in my mouth. Or some sugar free chocolate pudding. Or a cup of hot chocolate. (Can you tell I'm a bit of a chocolate addict?? :)
  • Losewhey8
    Losewhey8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    sparkpeople black bean brownie recipe. 79 calories 2 X2 brownie.
  • Losewhey8
    Losewhey8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe...I sprinkle mini choc chips on top while cooling & spread around very thinly. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1454617
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Wtf is junk food crap? Serious question. I don't eat junk or crap... Both sound pretty unappetizing

I'm really not trying to start an internet fight or anything, but I call BS. Your profile says you topped out at 190 lbs. You don't get to 190 lbs at 5'3.5" by eating "not-junk-food" all the time. Clearly, you've stopped eating the "food you don't call junk food" as apparent by your flat stomach, so kudos to you, and I mean that. But let's be supportive of everyone.

OP, when I feel like snacking (and I'm not eating under 200g of carbs a day), I eat 1 cup of unbuttered, unsalted popcorn with a half a teaspoon of Mrs. Dash.

I know this isn't "junk food", but sometimes I slice up cucumbers and sprinkle paprika on them. It sounds weird, but the combination almost reminds me of BBQ chips; keeps my cravings at bay.

You should have seen her avatar when she was standing behind her wall of ice cream tubs - I believe there was 8 or 12 of them. Yup. She ate them all, or is in the process of eating them.

The only food you can really call "junk" is candy - stuff that is basically made of pure refined sugar. Everything else will have *some* nutritional content to them (carbohydrates, in this case, is not a nutrient. I was talking about micronutrients. Riboflavin, vitamins, and such)). The only food that doesn't have that, and is therefore, in my definition, not really food, is the stuff that is made from scratch in a chemical factory.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    atkins makes a bar that tastes better than a snickers bar, they have a small and a large. When I am on maintenance, the large will be a staple go to sweet treat.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Wtf is junk food crap? Serious question. I don't eat junk or crap... Both sound pretty unappetizing

I'm really not trying to start an internet fight or anything, but I call BS. Your profile says you topped out at 190 lbs. You don't get to 190 lbs at 5'3.5" by eating "not-junk-food" all the time. Clearly, you've stopped eating the "food you don't call junk food" as apparent by your flat stomach, so kudos to you, and I mean that. But let's be supportive of everyone.

OP, when I feel like snacking (and I'm not eating under 200g of carbs a day), I eat 1 cup of unbuttered, unsalted popcorn with a half a teaspoon of Mrs. Dash.

I know this isn't "junk food", but sometimes I slice up cucumbers and sprinkle paprika on them. It sounds weird, but the combination almost reminds me of BBQ chips; keeps my cravings at bay.

This was sooooo worth me coming into this thread. If you knew Phoenix_Down, you'd know how ridiculous your accusations were.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    well idk holly, I just went back to some old diaries of phoenix and I definitely see some taco bell on her diary. I'd totally consider taco bell "junk food" but hey, to each their own.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    This is the photo I was talking about:

b1a4ac2ae98415b197f1225201e2c773c0c2.jpg

This =/= junk food? I always thought that society believed that ice cream was the definition of "junk food."
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    well idk holly, I just went back to some old diaries of phoenix and I definitely see some taco bell on her diary. I'd totally consider taco bell "junk food" but hey, to each their own.

Tasted like heaven though, not junk.. Like that wadded piece of paper in the trash... I consider all food a beautiful gift from the food gods. I'm wrinkling my nose in excitement.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »

Yeah, you miss the point completely. So good on that one.

She never said she doesn't eat fast food, sugar, etc. She said she got to her size eating this so-called "junk food."
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hey, a thread I'm good at!

-Jell-O pudding cups (especially SF/FF varieties)
    -Fudgsicles
    -frozen fruit bars
    -individual ice cream cups
    -McDonald's ice cream cone = 170 kcal of decently-sized yumminess
    -kettle corn flavored mini rice cakes
    -those Special K crispy flaky pastry things that are basically flat cereal bars
    -fat free Cool Whip
    -hot chocolate from a packet. the superlow calorie versions are barely passable, but the Swiss Miss No Sugar Added and Nestle Rich Chocolate are 75 and 80 kcal of Totally Worth It
    -mini ice cream sandwiches
    -add some sugar/sweetener to PB2 and eat it straight up
    -microwaveable kettle corn--look for "Smart" varieties or whatever
    -homemade pumpkin pie filling with fat free evaporated milk and egg whites--just bake it like a pie without the crust. Or if it makes you feel better, pour it into a store-bought crust that you won't eat anyway because those taste like rubber. ;)
    -canned pumpkin or winter squash puree with sugar/sweetener and cinnamon
    -hot apples with cinnamon and a spoonful of vanilla ice cream melted on top
    -meringue puffs. I like homemade ones with a little bit of grated dark or bitter chocolate mixed in, but let's be realistic, I am buying the tubs like everyone else.
    -bag of mini marshmallows
    -ice cream float with diet soda and 1 scoop frozen substance of choice

Except for the McDonald's ice cream, these are all 100 kcal-ish or below per serving (defined more generously than those Honey I Shrunk the Fiber One Brownies). Well, unless you are me and "1 serving" of those *(#$@ kettle corn rice cakes is three bags.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    pop chips , voortmans wafer cookies,real fruit gummi candies,banana nice cream,dill pickle popcorn
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    This is the photo I was talking about:

b1a4ac2ae98415b197f1225201e2c773c0c2.jpg

This =/= junk food? I always thought that society believed that ice cream was the definition of "junk food."

I'll take a heaping helping of the top-middle option, plskthx
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    To those that need clarification my post is called "being facetious" to prove a point but apparently many are still comfortable with labeling foods because it makes it easier mentally to want to avoid such foods if we make them sound bad.

Go ahead though, peek your eye holes in my diary. It is lightly amusing.

I'm well aware of my intake...maybe, unless fairies come fill it for me in my sleep and ads things like "zumba". Damn Zumba fairies.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    There's always one or two people in every thread where someone uses the term 'healthy' or 'junk food' or the like to try to point out that there is no 'bad' food and 'healthy' is relative.

But junk food is a pretty common term, and I'm pretty sure we all know what the OP means when she asks for junk food crap.

So it's not right for someone to explain why foods are just food? We should just continue to label and chastise food based on misconceptions then, huh? Seems fair.

I disagree, food is not just food. Yes, for weightloss, you can lose weight eating doritos if you stay at a deficit, but it's not as nutritionally sound (macro and micro) as someone eating a balanced diet.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating less nutritionally dense food every now and then, an overall healthy diet can (and I think should) include these foods, but that doesn't change the facts.

My main issue is that the OP didn't ask if it's okay to eat junk food, or even about her diet. She used a relatively common term, junk food, to ask for suggestions. We all know what she meant, I don't think it's helpful to point out that 'food is food' and derail her question
  • chivalryder
    edited February 2015
    Options
    -
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    when I need a dessert, sugar free jello gelatin (20 cal in one full cup) or pudding (70 calories in 1/2 cup of chocolate pudding made with 2% milk....add 2 TBL of regular Cool Whip for 25 more calories!)

don't know if it's junk food, but I'll take chocolate pudding any day over a cookie. :)
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Anything Skinny Cow. Fiber One bars (usually 90-110 calories). I also like dark chocolate raspberry popsicles from Weight Watchers. I also eat a ton of greek yogurt. :)