Do you tell others your success?

Options
Mtsidad
Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
So first of all - 20 POUNDS LESS TODAY!

Second - I don't tell anyone I'm dieting. I don't tell people I "can't eat that" or "no thanks, too rich." I just eat less and choose different options.

And third, I'm not doing it for anyone to be impressed - I'm doing it for me to be healthy and active and - I hope - alive.

So I'm not telling anyone but the people here about losing 20 pounds.

Question is, do *you* tell anyone else about your success? Why or why not? I'm curious how others deal with their own journeys.

Replies

• P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    I don't tell primarially because friends an dfamily drive me nuts. I like you am doing this for myself. Keep up th good work
  • mrchantele123
    Options
    well i'm only 18 and i am losing weight for vanity reasons so i am constantly telling my friends and family that i have lost wait because otherwise they'd probably keep buying me chocolate and unhealthy stuff. i also brag a bit as well because i'm darn proud of myself!

why would you not tell any one?
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss! Amazing...
    Well, I used to tell people of my successes, it kept me motivated. But I told my sister yesterday that in the last 10 months I lost 2 dress sizes and she hates me now :-/ So next time I might just keep it to myself :ohwell:
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I tell my family because I know they care about me and that I'm trying.... I tell my co-workers that I'm using MFP because I am seeing/hearing co-workers who are following Weight Watchers and paying a lot of money for Jenny Craig, etc. and I'm more encouraging them to try this site for the support and tracking functions but not so much to toot my own horn. I save my tooting for this arena!
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    I have a small group of close friends that are my support system in addition to MFP. I email them my weekly progress. But for the others I see from time to time, I don't say anything. I will keep it simple if they asked about me losing weight, but that's it. Some of my friends have started asking about it after I've lost about 50 pounds and I just say that I've been counting calories and exercising.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Great job on the loss! I tell close family and friends that live far away what my loss was and what I weigh now, but I do not tell people I see every day. I typically have to explain that the loss was on purpose when going to doctor appointments! :smile:
  • Hellsbells42
    Options
    I tel people because I'm on low carbs, and they keep offering me food. There's a lot of food I can (and do) eat, but most of what you get offered is bread/cake or fruit. My mother in law always asks me if I want a bread with honey.
    I feel like talking against a wall, so I keep reminding her that I don't eat bread and honey.
  • MandyMay
    MandyMay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I tell peeps,but only certain peeps.I have a great workout partner and i tell her cause she doesnt get tired of hearing it..some peeps do...Congrats on your 20lb. loss :)
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss. No I don't tell, they usually tell me!
  • ales1979
    ales1979 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thats a great loss total! you've obv been making good choices! well done :happy:

I'm giving my immediate family the jist, because they would buy or bring food as treats when they visit, or i visit them. They know I'm calorie counting but I'm not boring them to death with all the facts, figures and science.

Ppl I don't see or talk to every day don't know that I'm here.

My peeps on here get every single tiny detail and win/ fail, because they are in the same boat and are totally empathetic and supportive :flowerforyou: thanks guys xx
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    depends on who it is. I've lost 60 lbs so my family can see that I've lost. so i talk to them about it occasionally but mostly i keep to myself. i don't think this is a diet but a just change in life that i should have been doing years ago. :smile: it's funny how people ask "so what's your secret" ummm doing what i'm supposed to do
  • etjaneausten
    etjaneausten Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't use the term 'dieting'. However, I tell anybody who wants to hear it (or not), that I am making some changes to my life style and brag about my little successes. It keeps me motivated, kind of like when I quit smoking, because I know that my friends have better expectations from me now.

I don't call it a diet, because it's really about exercise, portion control and better food choices in general.

Congratulations on your 20 pounds!
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I tell....i think it is good for others to know why you are making healthier choices ( I mean it should be obvious) but if more people realized they can make healthier choices and still eat great tasting food and lose weight ( be healthier) then maybe they too would be more inclined to choose a healthier yet still deliciously tasty meal :) BUT, in the end everyone makes their own choices. 20lbs Lighter WTG!!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!! I too am doing it for myself, but I think talking about it out loud helps me stay on track, everyone is different though :)
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    When I started I didn't tell anyone where I work or close friends...the only ones that knew were the girl that works with me in my office and my family....I just waited till they started to notice the lbs melting away.....and it took a while. I think i was over 30 lbs gone before anyone noticed..then pretty quickly everyone noticed. Now I get asked ever so often how much and they tell me looking good "skinny" which is a lie but nice to hear.....congrats on your weight loss. Best of luck as you continue on your weight loss journey!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I don't tell people, unless they ask me about it...
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Everyone tells me, I don't need to tell them!

They say: You've lost a lot of weight recently...
    I say: It was on purpose.
    They look relieved :wink:
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Congrats on ur weight loss!! I do tend to tell people that are closer to me and I may post on my FB sometimes about it (only when I've seen a loss.) But I get a lot of support from my coworkers and the ppl in my life. But it's what makes you feel comfy!
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the 20lbs weight loss!! I have my MFP synced with Facebook so when I workout it updates on my Facebook page. At first I was a little embarrassed to do this because I was afraid that I would lose motivation and people would think of me as a failure. But I have found it to be just the opposite. I am more motivated to workout and hold myself accountable knowing that people know about my fitness goals.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    depends on who it is. I've lost 60 lbs so my family can see that I've lost. so i talk to them about it occasionally but mostly i keep to myself. i don't think this is a diet but a just change in life that i should have been doing years ago. :smile: it's funny how people ask "so what's your secret" ummm doing what i'm supposed to do

I agree...these are my thoughts too!
    No diet....it's my new way of life...........MY CHOICE! And it feels great!
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!

It depends on the situation whether or not I tell people what I'm doing. Since I've lost weight, it's noticeable so people ask me what I've been doing. If I'm in a situation where there's food that's not for me, I say no thanks. If they ask why, then I tell them that I'm watching what I eat. For me, it's not necessarily about the weight loss, but getting healthier so if it's someone I'm close to who is having health issues then I do tell them what I'm doing and ask if they'd like to join me. So far, I've been able to encourage quite a few family and friends to take this journey with me so I have no problem talking about my first round of success with weight loss and becoming healthier. Everyone around me has been very supportive.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!