Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    kayeiam wrote: »
    Lots of times for a diabetic, they will say cut out all the "white" foods. They are mostly the bad carbs. Another thing that no one has asked the op is how many calories are you eating for the whole day? If you are not eating but 700 -800 calories, that will cause a bad headache. Also if you have been eating a very high carb diet (cakes, cookies, potato's, corn, sweet peas, donuts, breads, pizza (crust), etc. and now you have cold turkey stopped the so called *White* foods (carbs), that will give you withdrawal symptoms and yes a headache would be one of them. If it is fromt he cutting out of carbs, do it slower, don't cold turkey it. People do get addicted to carbs and it does take a few weeks to get totally over it, but take it slower if that is the case. and if your eating under 1000 calories, up your intake.

people get addicted to carbs, really? Do you have anything to back that up..?

I do. One time at Whole Foods I got these really intense carb cravings. Next thing I know, I'm in the produce section trying to fight off a clerk, using broccoli as my shield and shoving red potatoes in my mouth while screaming for someone to bring me a hit of Wonder bread.

don't you hate it when the white food does that to you?

word. you don't even what to know what happens if i even *look* at a head of cauliflower or box of powdered sugar.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDoT6lWKnQD47WfP_9xhLniOz2RjNm0pabhKI8nRxfmbxLXq_J
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    kayeiam wrote: »
    Lots of times for a diabetic, they will say cut out all the "white" foods. They are mostly the bad carbs. Another thing that no one has asked the op is how many calories are you eating for the whole day? If you are not eating but 700 -800 calories, that will cause a bad headache. Also if you have been eating a very high carb diet (cakes, cookies, potato's, corn, sweet peas, donuts, breads, pizza (crust), etc. and now you have cold turkey stopped the so called *White* foods (carbs), that will give you withdrawal symptoms and yes a headache would be one of them. If it is fromt he cutting out of carbs, do it slower, don't cold turkey it. People do get addicted to carbs and it does take a few weeks to get totally over it, but take it slower if that is the case. and if your eating under 1000 calories, up your intake.

people get addicted to carbs, really? Do you have anything to back that up..?

I do. One time at Whole Foods I got these really intense carb cravings. Next thing I know, I'm in the produce section trying to fight off a clerk, using broccoli as my shield and shoving red potatoes in my mouth while screaming for someone to bring me a hit of Wonder bread.

don't you hate it when the white food does that to you?

word. you don't even what to know what happens if i even *look* at a head of cauliflower or box of powdered sugar.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDoT6lWKnQD47WfP_9xhLniOz2RjNm0pabhKI8nRxfmbxLXq_J

I am banned from publix for snorting sugar in the aisles...those were dark, dark, days...
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    You can still eat potatoes and pasta but lay off the sweet stuff. That or slowly lower your added sugar intake. Make it past two weeks and you'll be fine.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, if potatoes are white, does that mean bananas and apples are also off the list? Colored peel, white flesh...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Once again a thread full of white carbs are bad, I'm addicted to only certain carbs. The cycle never ends and it never will.

it will end when we find the ring of broscience and throw it into Mount SugarDoom..

we must find the chosen one...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Well my weaknesses that contribute to excess calories are sweets (candy, ice cream, pastries, etc), bready foods, snacks, sugar cereal, and bad food choices at restaurants. I am a picky eater and tend to choose burger or sandwich + fries.
    Good for you for giving up what's basically junk food, especially the "white" stuff (and common sense prevails here that it doesn't include white vegetables etc., LOL!).

Technically, a potato is a "white" vegetable, so I see no reason why it would be obvious that it includes potatoes but not turnips. It's based on this idea that being "white" makes a food bad for you, which is not particularly sensible. Brown sugar is no better for you than white sugar (and both are fine anyway--if I'm more likely to eat rhubarb with some sugar, why does that make the rhubarb unhealthy?).

I've dropped sugar and flour for a time, and never gotten a "detox" headache, that seems crazy. Probably it's a reaction from going from high to low carb or, in the OP's case, caffeine withdrawal.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Well my weaknesses that contribute to excess calories are sweets (candy, ice cream, pastries, etc), bready foods, snacks, sugar cereal, and bad food choices at restaurants. I am a picky eater and tend to choose burger or sandwich + fries.
    Good for you for giving up what's basically junk food, especially the "white" stuff (and common sense prevails here that it doesn't include white vegetables etc., LOL!).

I don't commonly eat such foods and although there's always that dreaded "detox headache" from quitting those foods if I've let them sneak back in, it's so worth kicking their butt to the curb it in the end. I'll never understand the general attitude around here that it's not wise to restrict foods that don't contribute to your health, and that restricting such foods is "extreme". Eating for optimal health is extremely gratifying. :)

Keep up the great work, you'll feel so much better physically and emotionally in no time!

Wow someone with common sense around here. Thanks!

• Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Are you mocking Christianity by using lent as an excuse for your fad diet?

Cutting out excess high carb, sugars is a fad? Get real. I use lent to stop my gluttonous eating habits as well as improve other facets of my life. Isnt that the purpose of lent?

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Using Lent to aid a diet seems wrong to me. But your business.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to think of a balanced diet using nothing but white food.

So far I've got rice for carbs, fish for protein, cauliflower and parsnip for fiber+vitamins, milk and white beans for supplementation.

Kind of stuck on fats though... non-coloured margarine?
    herrspoons wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    this diet sounds racist....

No. Not in the slightest. This comment is dumb, however.

Two things:

1) WHOOSH!
    2) Your third sentence is priceless.

cheers captain drive by.
    Don't mention it, oh Queen of Facetiousness.
    You guys should just bang already.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Add some chicken and make the dairy full fat. Although really oil seems colorless enough. I had a weirdly all white plate not terribly long ago (chicken, turnips, cauliflower, I believe were the main players, plus some cottage cheese). It was a poor choice from a playing POV but a perfectly decent dinner.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Add some chicken and make the dairy full fat. Although really oil seems colorless enough. I had a weirdly all white plate not terribly long ago (chicken, turnips, cauliflower, I believe were the main players, plus some cottage cheese). It was a poor choice from a playing POV but a perfectly decent dinner.

I'm so confused. Chicken breast is white meat. Allowed or not allowed? What about pork, "the other white meat"? And coke zero is not allowed but it isn't white. Is there a Visio process flow I can refer to? Definitely not seeing the Lenten connection either. Didn't Jesus want us to love unconditionally? I don't think he would be down with all this food demonization...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Cutting out excess high carb, sugars is a fad? Get real. I use lent to stop my gluttonous eating habits as well as improve other facets of my life. Isnt that the purpose of lent?

Which sugars are low carb?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer through prayer, penance, repentance of sins, almsgiving, atonement and self-denial. Dat google doe.
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I don't commonly eat such foods and although there's always that dreaded "detox headache" from quitting those foods if I've let them sneak back in, it's so worth kicking their butt to the curb it in the end. I'll never understand the general attitude around here that it's not wise to restrict foods that don't contribute to your health, and that restricting such foods is "extreme". Eating for optimal health is extremely gratifying. :)

Keep up the great work, you'll feel so much better physically and emotionally in no time!

so cauliflower is bad, because white?
    I was referring to some above statements that eliminating white foods would include caultiflower, eggs, dairy....which is silly thinking. Of course cauliflower isn't included, it's a cruciferous vegetable and is awesome for you.

• elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I bet you have the 'atkins flu'. Eat some sugar.

^ This, except the advice to eat sugar. :) The first week of switching to a low carb (which essentially you're probably doing if you're cutting out "white foods") can often cause a "Atkins flu" as your body goes through carb withdrawals and balances itself out. Increasing your salt intake helps (I put soy sauce on just about everything for a day or two and that helped) if your intent is to go low carb.
    If your intent is not to go low carb, eat some non-white carby foods, like sweet potatoes, apples, bananas, pears, raisins...
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Technically, a potato is a "white" vegetable, so I see no reason why it would be obvious that it includes potatoes but not turnips. It's based on this idea that being "white" makes a food bad for you, which is not particularly sensible. Brown sugar is no better for you than white sugar (and both are fine anyway--if I'm more likely to eat rhubarb with some sugar, why does that make the rhubarb unhealthy?).

I've dropped sugar and flour for a time, and never gotten a "detox" headache, that seems crazy. Probably it's a reaction from going from high to low carb or, in the OP's case, caffeine withdrawal.
    Where oh where is the common sense here? Silly me for thinking that it would be obvious to all that when one is talking about bad white carbs, they are referring to sugar, flour, refined stuff, maybe potatoes (though I think they are fine for you if plain baked).

And who would think that brown sugar is good for you because it's not white?

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Where oh where is the common sense here? Silly me for thinking that it would be obvious to all that when one is talking about bad white carbs, they are referring to sugar, flour, refined stuff, maybe potatoes (though I think they are fine for you if plain baked).

And who would think that brown sugar is good for you because it's not white?

Only ignorant idiots talk about bad white carbs.