Why is it so hard for people to grasp there is no magical solution?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Why is it so hard for people to believe that CICO works? Especially those in medicine?

Who said the doc doesn't believe in CICO?

Far more likely explanation is that doc knows very well that most people fail on CICO, so is trying to check if the weight loss was caused by something else.

• monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Maybe she wasn't incredulous as to the fact that you specifically lost the weight in a healthy and natural way, but more in awe because she rarely sees people do that. Lol. Like no really, you had to have done a trick because nobody does that! If so that's kinda sad but people are lazy
  • CheezandCrackrs
    Options
    Only "surefire" way to lose weight quick is to smoke some meth. That's that magical pixie dust we have all wondered about. Maybe thats what she wanted to hear. Lol
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Autum1031 wrote: »
    "You're losing weight. CICO works. You say you're logging accurately, but without an open diary, that's hard to assess. Why is your goal to lose only 11 pounds when you profile says you're morbidly obese?

EVERYONE is always convinced they're an outlier or a special snowflake who defies the laws of physics. They're not."

My diary isn't open because I don't have it open to strangers on MFP. I do see a nutritionist at times, and my diary is fully open to them.

My goal is to only lose 11 pounds because I work best with small goals, and I become overwhelmed and stop trying with large ones. In reality, I need to lose slightly more than 100 pounds.

I understand the profound skepticism, I really do. CICO is a simple, elegant solution that works well for most people. It should work for everyone if you are counting calories exactly. Except, it doesn't, not always, not for everyone. I don't think I'm a special snowflake at all. Nor do I think some special secret diet would work for me. I don't think anything works well for me. I have been through this before. I had a serious medical scare about 10 years ago, when I was heavier than I am now. It scared me into following my doctor's orders exactly, weighing and counting everything. And....it didn't work well. Yes, I lost weight over the course of 3 years. But it happened much, much slower than it was supposed to. I still remember one particular 4 month period in which I worked SO hard, logged everything, ate well, showed up at the doctor and had lost...5 pounds. I remember just sobbing because I was so frustrated, and my doctor was equally baffled. We tested for all sorts of medical things, but nothing popped up as a "cause."

So, I get it. I don't expect to convince any of you, since I see people all over the forums mocking other people like me who don't lose weight "the way you're supposed to" when you follow the CICO model. Of course a few pounds is better than nothing, but quite honestly, at my weight, I don't know for sure it's an honest weight loss or just a fluctuation. I AM here, though, despite my frustrations, because what else can I do?

So carry on, I guess. Mock me if you will.

If you've read enough posts on this forum I just don't know what was the point of posting that here other than attention seeking. If you want help figuring out why you're not losing as expected, start your own thread and yes, open your diary to the knowledgeable strangers who can help you disect it. Otherwise I personally don't care enough to stop the discussion we were having just to focus on mocking you

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's not worth getting bent out of shape by people who are clueless. I found the best thing to reply when people ask me how I did something - I started this when people ask me how long it takes me to finish a painting (for which the short answer may be an hour, but the real answer is 40 years of practice): 'Why do you ask?"

That gives me a breather and them time to get more stupid :| , which ends up with me not getting mad, but instead being able to put some distance between us.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest... Most Drs are over worked to even really care about anything without a management pill.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    "You're losing weight. CICO works. You say you're logging accurately, but without an open diary, that's hard to assess. Why is your goal to lose only 11 pounds when you profile says you're morbidly obese?

EVERYONE is always convinced they're an outlier or a special snowflake who defies the laws of physics. They're not."

My diary isn't open because I don't have it open to strangers on MFP. I do see a nutritionist at times, and my diary is fully open to them.

My goal is to only lose 11 pounds because I work best with small goals, and I become overwhelmed and stop trying with large ones. In reality, I need to lose slightly more than 100 pounds.

I understand the profound skepticism, I really do. CICO is a simple, elegant solution that works well for most people. It should work for everyone if you are counting calories exactly. Except, it doesn't, not always, not for everyone. I don't think I'm a special snowflake at all. Nor do I think some special secret diet would work for me. I don't think anything works well for me. I have been through this before. I had a serious medical scare about 10 years ago, when I was heavier than I am now. It scared me into following my doctor's orders exactly, weighing and counting everything. And....it didn't work well. Yes, I lost weight over the course of 3 years. But it happened much, much slower than it was supposed to. I still remember one particular 4 month period in which I worked SO hard, logged everything, ate well, showed up at the doctor and had lost...5 pounds. I remember just sobbing because I was so frustrated, and my doctor was equally baffled. We tested for all sorts of medical things, but nothing popped up as a "cause."

So, I get it. I don't expect to convince any of you, since I see people all over the forums mocking other people like me who don't lose weight "the way you're supposed to" when you follow the CICO model. Of course a few pounds is better than nothing, but quite honestly, at my weight, I don't know for sure it's an honest weight loss or just a fluctuation. I AM here, though, despite my frustrations, because what else can I do?

With all due respect, I highly doubt that your nutritionist will be able to spot errors in logging.

I will repeat the fact that you have lost weight, so please stop your self-defeating talk and saying CICO doesn't work. I'm being hard on you because I've walked a mile in your shoes. I used to talk to myself exactly like you did. I was firmly convinced that I was so special I couldn't lose weight. When I did lose weight (oh, what was that.... I lost weight after all????), it happened so, so slowly.

You could simply just face the fact that maybe, just maybe there might not be something you're doing right, open yourself up to the possibility that you're not a special snowflake and stop clinging to this vision of yourself that you have and actually move forward and make some progress.

• Missyjules1974
    Missyjules1974 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    On a slight side note: I had two unexplained heart attacks at 33 years old and every doctor asked was I a cocaine user. Ok I'm fine with that but one really went for it and had me almost confessing!! (To something I hadn't done by the way!!) xxx keep up the good work OP XX
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I get where this post comes from but I also think you are being overly harsh to the MD. It is her job to have all the info she needs to treat you properly so if she suspects she is not getting it, it is her job to keep questioning. Also, correct me if i am wrong, but from various responses you say she is psych to check up that you arent having any psych effects from other drugs. Saying psycology has nothing to do with weight loss is pretty far off the mark, there are many different diagnosable eds that are all about psycology. Large weight loss is always scrutinized as a sign there is something wrong.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    My GP gives me a sharp look when I tell her how much weight I've lost. My first thought is, "Does she think I have an ED?" GP never says anything, but it's that look, and I always feel like an idiot explaining that I keep a food diary and weigh out my food.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    My GP gives me a sharp look when I tell her how much weight I've lost. My first thought is, "Does she think I have an ED?" GP never says anything, but it's that look, and I always feel like an idiot explaining that I keep a food diary and weigh out my food.

OMG, I'd find a new one!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Doctors are the same as you and me. Some of them are stupid as F and others are very educated in their field. My endocrinologist suggested from the very beginning to lift weights to lose weight ... and he was right. Although, he did say to only eat about 900 calories, that piece of advice I am not listening to.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Some people are just so surprised that CICO works. Yesterday I arrived back home from uni and during lunch my dad (71 years of age) says that he's found a really good app where you input your calories - he's stayed under every day and he's losing weight! He sounded so surprised. Guess what that app was? Yep, MFP. I said I'd been using it since June and that's how I lost 47lbs.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My bizarre run-in with a cynical doctor came about thanks to two different cats scratching me. 5 years apart. Thanks to them, I have a perfectly cross-shaped scar on my inner wrist. I have plenty of other scars from cat scratches, but that one roused suspicion. The doctor thought I was a cutter.

As for my weight loss, my doctor thankfully is sane about exercise and calorie counting. I told her I was using MFP, and she's familiar with the site and has other patients who use it and love it as well.
  • top_mom
    top_mom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    First congrats on your weight loss.. Hard work pays off!

I do think people who ask I are really hoping you can share your "trick" and are hoping it works for them too. Not often are they looking to put in the commitment to change their lifestyle.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic but in response to someone above who said some MD's are dumb..

My husband was in an aircast last year. Couldn't take it off, and a nurse wanted to weigh him. He couldn't STAND on the scale without tipping off, so she told him (not making this up) "just put the foot on the floor, and support yourself with it, it won't hurt anything'

Dead silence. My hubby and I just looked at each other and smirked.

This is from a Nurse or NA who has a license. Yup
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

if you lost five pounds then CICO is working…what is so hard to understand about that?

unless of course you are claiming that you ate in a caloric surplus and lose five pounds…

You just need to adjust the in or out side to lose more efficiently…

also, if you wre working out "hard" you could have anywhere from one to five pounds of water retention that is masking some of your loss….
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    To be fair, OP, my first thought was that 60 pounds in six months IS a lot! Congratulations!

I went to see a counsellor who said she didn't think she could help me because I had decided against taking the antidepressants my doctor pushed on me.

Too many MDs think the only way to improve one's self is by popping pills.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm agreeing with a couple prior posters but I think it's most likely that if she seemed so interested out of concern for YOU, she wanted to make sure you're not doing something unhealthy or getting into ED territory. She's a psychologist, right?

And if she seemed interested because SHE wants to lose weight, it's because we usually are looking for the next cool tip or trend or diet to motivate us. And they do. How many people buy a Fitbit then lose weight, or discover MFP then lose weight, or try low carb then lose weight, and so on and so on?

I love hearing weight loss success stories. It doesn't mean I don't believe calories isn't the key. It's because there are a million ways to affect calorie balance, some more fun and effective than others.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

TL;DR, but open up your diary so people can see if you are logging accurately and/or lower your goal by 100 calories every week until you start seeing your goal weight loss results. That or eat back fewer of your workout calories.