How comfortable would you be doing these exercises at the gym?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    the problem on that second video was that she was trying to do a donkey kick but the angle and placement of the machine made it so that she was doing really inefficient leg extensions instead. her glute might be on fire from the static hold but 85% of the contraction was in her quad.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'll do almost anything at the gym... as long as it's useful to my health/fitness AND make sense.

Most of the overly ridiculous things you see people doing at the gym are essentially "i saw a fitness model on youtube on it so I think I'll try it" In which THOSE people are just trying to damn hard to be special " no one else is using it for this either"

It's reinventing the wheel: there are a better pieces of equipment or lifts to help.

Using the leg extension machine is just a bridge lift- which can/should be with a curl bar- or a barbell.

Secondly- the leg extension-push thing: you can do that with an ankle strap on a cable pully OR you can do a leg press down on the assisted pull up machine.

All of this for me too. I'll do anything at the gym that makes sense for my goals. IDGAF what anyone else thinks.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I'll do almost anything at the gym... as long as it's useful to my health/fitness AND make sense.

Most of the overly ridiculous things you see people doing at the gym are essentially "i saw a fitness model on youtube on it so I think I'll try it" In which THOSE people are just trying to damn hard to be special " no one else is using it for this either"

It's reinventing the wheel: there are a better pieces of equipment or lifts to help.

Using the leg extension machine is just a bridge lift- which can/should be with a curl bar- or a barbell.

Secondly- the leg extension-push thing: you can do that with an ankle strap on a cable pully OR you can do a leg press down on the assisted pull up machine.

All of this for me too. I'll do anything at the gym that makes sense for my goals. IDGAF what anyone else thinks.

nods
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I did both of these today! Im not worried about other people at the gym. ALL I CAN SEE ARE BOOTY GAINZZZZZZ
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I do the last one often, but the first one is a great idea. I was having a hard time keeping a flat weight on my pelvic region so this solves that prob. Thanks!!! :smile:
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

Ok that's great except I think I said, three times, that I can't use my right arm
  • tomatoey
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with those exercises, but anyone trying that on our equipment would be stopped immediately. Not to be a killjoy, but in today's world, no gym can afford to permit any use of a weight machine for which it is not designed. The lawsuits can be crippling.

Aw, boo! Well, they can stop me if they don't like it, I guess. I think I signed a waiver...

dbmata wrote: »
    Just do the first one with a box and a barbell, you'll be fine, it's preferable that way, as you have to balance the bugger.

The second one?
    uh... why bother? Some lunges would do the same, no?

Because I can't use my arm to lift anything, all my loaded lower body exercised have to be hands-free :/
    Weighted vest for the lunges? The hip thrusts just need support, can you do that?

I might have to invest in something like the vest, yeah :/ Nope, can't facilitate the hip thrust with my right. Can't even lift my grocery bag.
  • tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    the problem on that second video was that she was trying to do a donkey kick but the angle and placement of the machine made it so that she was doing really inefficient leg extensions instead. her glute might be on fire from the static hold but 85% of the contraction was in her quad.

Hmm. Food for thought. Thanks :) Is there a better exercise to activate the glutes from that direction? Trying to emulate the pendulum leg swing. (My gym is pretty weak on equipment.)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Just do them and own it, like you were just crowned queen of the hip thrust.

I was out with the flu but thank you, yes I will :)
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Another option for people who can't use barbells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3fCqekbk-4
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    They look great. I was looking for some ways to reduce my butt!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Ok that's great except I think I said, three times, that I can't use my right arm

has nothing to do with the price of rice in china.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Plenty comfortable... I already do barbell thrusters at the gym. Might get some looks but I don't care...gotta build those glutes!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i keeping asking my bf to help me out with donkey calf raises at the gym. he just won't do it. i keep telling him it will only feel awkward the first few times.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    i keeping asking my bf to help me out with donkey calf raises at the gym. he just won't do it. i keep telling him it will only feel awkward the first few times.

maxresdefault.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA.
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ^ lol, missed that.

So I've tried the hip thrust using the knee extension machine at my gym. It does not feel awesome. There's not enough room for my torso and thighs between the bench and the leg thingie (that bit isn't adjustable at my gym, or it is but not for depth), so I'm moving at my rib cage vs. my shoulders, and it just overall feels unstable with nothing to ground me at the bottom of the movement.

Tried the band hip thrust - the cages at my gym don't have those hooks, only round pegs, (the way the feet of the cage are, there's no way to get a band under that) and one band came loose while I was at it.

I haven't tried the other one yet (was doing other things).

There are bumper plates, so I was able to get under a bar someone else had previously set up. Need a pad to do it (ouch). It's doable, but I can't set myself up (my wrist was killing me just trying to tighten the grips on the barbell and also from playing with the bands for the other exercise). I don't have a workout partner, and doubt I'll find someone who wants to go when I do.

Dumbbells are awkward and I'm limited in the weight I can use for those in my good hand, and using the other to lightly stabilize it is also painful.

So, am I stuck with bodyweight bridges and hip thrusts? Any other creative ideas on how to do this movement with weight for someone with a bad wrist/forearm?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You could do single leg glute bridges and hip thrusts and elevated single legs of both. It wouldn't be adding weight but the difficulty level is upped past base level.
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You could do single leg glute bridges and hip thrusts and elevated single legs of both. It wouldn't be adding weight but the difficulty level is upped past base level.

Thanks, jemhh :) I guess that's what I've got to do. I've been relying on bodyweight stuff for months - have been doing one legged bridges and thrusts all that time, as part of physio for patellofemoral syndrome and a glute imbalance after a (chronic) foot injury- so the gluteus might be close to maxed outimus on a lot of the bodyweight options. BUT I'll look into ways to keep progressing. There are for sure ways to use timing and pauses to make it harder (pause reps, etc).

Thank you :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I've done them. No problem, not uncomfortable and no one bothers to take a 2nd look.

Barbell hip thrusts, which are a pain in the neck because I have to drag a bunch of equipment from all over the gym. Barbell from the deadlift station, step aerobics steps from the back wall, foam pad from the massage/mobility/physical therapy area, weights usually from a squat rack because someone's deadlifting and I don't want to interrupt.

Donkey kicks - my gym has a machine for those. I don't like it because the range of motion just doesn't feel right to me so I stopped using it.