Consuming too few calories and gaining weight, what now?

Options
So I've been doing so well counting my calories I've been way under my goal everyday. I realize I'm now gaining weight, i really need some help.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You're counting calories wrong.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    How long have you been counting calories?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight over what time frame?

Your diary - the homemade entries, are they yours?
    Are you using a food scale?

Are you entering everything? You don't have any condiments listed. Some of your meals are very, very small and not satiating at all. You ate one pancake for lunch one day. Did you add anything to it? Is that all you ate?

I'm only asking because this is how I would be but are there things you aren't logging? If I was eating even a day of what you have logged I would end up binging on something or stealing food here and there.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're eating well below 1200 calories every day & sometimes even less than 1000. Up your calories. Eat more. I know it sounds counterproductive, but it's a tried and true method around here. Your body doesn't want to starve itself into weight loss.
  • Candicutie
    Options
    Read everyones comments thanks for all the info. I don't use condiments i try to keep it simple as much as i can. I do agree though that i am eating way too little. I do think that i've put my body into starvation mode. Its gonna be a challenge but i'm gonna try to consume more and see what happens.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Candicutie wrote: »
    Read everyones comments thanks for all the info. I don't use condiments i try to keep it simple as much as i can. I do agree though that i am eating way too little. I do think that i've put my body into starvation mode. Its gonna be a challenge but i'm gonna try to consume more and see what happens.

There's not starvation mode here. I think you are confused. Maybe we should start from square one. Have you read the stickies on calorie counting/weighing food on a food scale?
  • Candicutie
    Options
    I also don't crave anything so i've no desires to binge eat. I'm pretty much made up my mind to kick the weight so it's really just about finding a way to get it done and nothing else.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Doesn't exist. Are you using a scale to weigh your food. Also, how long have you been at this and when is the last time you lost?
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller meals / snacks... every 2.5-3 hrs
    More consistency in meal / snack quality through the day
    Avoid or limit fast foods or processed foods
    Limit carbs, sugars, processed foods (fruits, veggies, ok)
    I would put carbs at 35-40% and eat more protein and good fats.
    MEET your calorie minimum of 1200.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Your issue lies in poor logging. Generic entries and generic database recipes, not weighing (although not required, it will make it far more accurate). You are eating more than you realize. Work on cleaning up your logging and you should see results. And you should be eating to your goal every day, not below it.
  • Candicutie
    Options
    I had a dietitian some time ago who told me that i needed to increase what i ate inorder to lose weight and yeah it sounded crazy at first but it worked like a charm. I did some research and starvation mode is probably not the correct term but it exist. I'm way under my calorie count and it's slowing my metabolism down. So i do agree that upping my caloric intake might just do the trick.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I had a dietitian some time ago who told me that i needed to increase what i ate inorder to lose weight and yeah it sounded crazy at first but it worked like a charm. I did some research and starvation mode is probably not the correct term but it exist. I'm way under my calorie count and it's slowing my metabolism down. So i do agree that upping my caloric intake might just do the trick.

Agree with...yourself?
  • ana3067
    Options

You should probably focus first on cleaning up your logging because until you clean up your logging you will not have any genuine idea of how much you are eating. Eating as much as you can to lose weight is important, but so is logging accurately.
  • Candicutie
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Doesn't exist. Are you using a scale to weigh your food. Also, how long have you been at this and when is the last time you lost?

I lost at in the first few weeks and tried to up my progress by eating less but it clearly back fired. I use measuring cups.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I lost at in the first few weeks and tried to up my progress by eating less but it clearly back fired. I use measuring cups.

You need to use a food scale.
  • arditarose
    Options
    You logged 300 grams for your homemade tuna pasta bake? How on earth do you know you ate 300 grams of something if you used a measuring cup?
  • ana3067
    Options
    Eat smaller meals / snacks... every 2.5-3 hrs
    More consistency in meal / snack quality through the day
    Avoid or limit fast foods or processed foods
    Limit carbs, sugars, processed foods (fruits, veggies, ok)
    I would put carbs at 35-40%
    and eat more protein and good fats.
    MEET your calorie minimum of 1200.

100% baloney, and pretty much not at all required to lose weight.

only thing needed for weight loss is CICO, and to ensure CICO is happening one needs to log accurately.
  • Candicutie
    Options
    Well actually i don't, the measurements i inow are sometimes incorrect but i use larger measurements just to be on the safe side. I'd usually rather under eat than overeat.
  • Candicutie
    Options
    I'll look into the scale, your right. I have been eyeballing stuff like that.
This discussion has been closed.