Consuming too few calories and gaining weight, what now?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Candicutie wrote: »
    Well when i say gaining its not a ton of weight it's more like 2 ponds more than the day before and stuff like that. I must say i appreciate the help but do some of you have to be so mean about it geez.
    We aren't being mean. We are telling you what would likely be causing weight gain based on your logging practices.

And 2lbs isn't a gain, it is likely a normal fluctuation OR because you are still pretty new at this you had potentially lost a greater amount of water weight early on which you are now regaining a bit.
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Don't argue that its a healthy way to lose weight by eating takeaways daily.
    Just don't even try.
    'Everything in moderation' but seriously... come on. That is ridiculous
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Yes of course i did where else. One day she had KFC then the next 6inch subway for breakfast then another for lunch. Just facing facts

So... you don't subscribe to the CICO philosophy then? I see Subway on Feb 17 with a net deficit, KFC on Feb 16th with a net deficit, Mcdonalds on the 14th with a deficit, Wendys on the 7th with a deficit.

All of these things - all of them - are acceptable on a CICO diet with expected weight loss.

It is obviously not actually NET DEFICIT if she would gain two pounds over night. End of.

So your theory is that a small fries and small order of popcorn chicken added up to a 7000 calorie surplus causing a 2 lb fat gain in 24 hours?
  • ana3067
    Options
    Yes of course i did where else. One day she had KFC then the next 6inch subway for breakfast then another for lunch. Just facing facts

Why would this result in not losing weight if she's at a deficit? I've had pizza for breakfast and then for lunch in the past, still lost weight. If OP is not losing weight right now it's not because she has consumed these items, but because her logging doesn't reflect her true intake, which can be remedied by cleaning up the logging in ways already described here.
  • Zedeff
    Options
    Just don't even try.

Nobody said healthy. I said effective.
  • iamaprincessx
    Options
    No i am saying that its not healthy !!!!
    Thats just the facts, you don'teat that kind of food daily if trying to be healthy.
    Don't defend it and encourage it because it is without a doubt wrong. Im not going to reply to this thread anymore because it is actually absurd.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Just don't even try.
    Healthy is both debatable and based on dietary context. Eating a single subway sandwich every day when the rest of the diet is fairly nutrient dense is unlikely to kill the OP or destroy her health. I've been eating chocolate every day since last week and I don't suddenly have diabetes because of it.
  • ana3067
    Options

So... you don't subscribe to the CICO philosophy then? I see Subway on Feb 17 with a net deficit, KFC on Feb 16th with a net deficit, Mcdonalds on the 14th with a deficit, Wendys on the 7th with a deficit.

All of these things - all of them - are acceptable on a CICO diet with expected weight loss.

It is obviously not actually NET DEFICIT if she would gain two pounds over night. End of.
    water.... weight..... fluctuations.
  • iamaprincessx
    Options
    okay yes you should take zedeff and ana's tips to eat fast food junk because its good for a healthy diet. brilliant idea you should write a book. i understand 'calorie deficit'... and i understand that even if your under your calories for the day and maybe even lose some weight that THE FOOD IS STILL BAD FOR YOU and BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH.
    do you not understand nutrition?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    okay yes you should take zedeff and ana's tips to eat fast food junk because its good for a healthy diet. brilliant idea you should write a book. i understand 'calorie deficit'... and i understand that even if your under your calories for the day and maybe even lose some weight that THE FOOD IS STILL BAD FOR YOU and BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH.

Dude...Maybe you need some KFC. Are you okay?
  • iamaprincessx
    Options
    I feel i'm the only sane one here actually. I would rather double my calorie intake with healthy balanced nutritious foods than under-eat on takeaways daily.
    But if its what you think is best then whatever im done haha
  • Candicutie
    Options
    Ok let me just clear the air a little. I haven't been eating take away meals daily but i have been on the road a few times and needed to pick up a meal quickly. I do belive in CICO. On the days i did have fast food i ate less so as not to go over my calories. A meal like that simply meant for me that i had fewer calories left to consume, nothing more.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I feel i'm the only sane one here actually. I would rather double my calorie intake with healthy balanced nutritious foods than under-eat on takeaways daily.
    But if its what you think is best then whatever im done haha

So you'd rather gain weight?

Chill out. No one is saying you should only eat KFC and subway, but simply that you CAN and you would still lose weight. And, that it is still "healthy" to eat once in awhile.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

First off nobody in this thread has said that you *have to* eat junk food, or that it's the most nutrient dense thing ever, but it certainly isn't 'bad' for you to the extent you're making out. If the choice was between a cheeseburger and nothing you would literally die picking the latter option, 'junk' food has the calories and energy required for survival. It, like all foods is good for your health. Is it the best option ever? Not really. But nobody is saying to only ever eat takeout either - some popcorn chicken and a milkshake will give good protein and is unlikely, by itself, to take you over your fat % for the day. Add in a big salad for dinner and maybe some fruit for dessert to get enough micronutrients and fill out the rest of the day with whatever you're missing and that's perfectly fine. You're not magically unhealthy because you let something you couldn't pluck from a tree past your lips, that line of thinking is way too black and white. All food is healthy in moderation.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Well actually i don't, the measurements i inow are sometimes incorrect but i use larger measurements just to be on the safe side. I'd usually rather under eat than overeat.

Get a scale. Cut what you think is a serving of block cheese, or an eyeballed serving of cereal or pasta... and then prepare to be horrified. With cheese I easily have 3 servings when I eyeball, cereal is around 1.5 servings, and pasta is about 2 servings.

That's 226 extra calories of cheese.
    55 extra calories of Honey Nut Cheerios (our go to breakfast cereal).
    And 200 extra calories of spaghetti noodles.

That's 481 extra calories from my eyeballing mistakes on foods that have a set serving size (as opposed to homemade stuff that can vary wildly). That can really kill a deficit, and that's just with 3 food items for the day. It adds up, and does so quickly.

I cut bread, cheese, soda and a few other things. I'm an island girl so my stuff is almost always homemade. I'm not used to weighing meals so that's why i don't own a food scale. I eat lots of roots, what we call provision, trying to eat clean.

Okay so if you're not weighing things, why do you have stuff in there by weight? 100 grams of Clementine. 1oz of tea... 4oz salmon... 28g of fruit & nuts...

And then entries like "bbq chicken, 1 chicken breast" ... was that chicken breast 3oz or 8oz? Because it's not going to be the same nutritional values, obviously.
  • Zedeff
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Oh man, these boards are toying with my emotions. On one thread I'm arguing with ana and others and in this one I want to hi five everyone for agreeing. Too bad it's bed time. Iamaprincessx, I'll have to read to your seminar on nutrition tomorrow. Keep up the good fight!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh man, these boards are toying with my emotions. On one thread I'm arguing with ana and others and in this one I want to hi five everyone for agreeing. Too bad it's bed time. Iamaprincessx, I'll have to read to your seminar on nutrition tomorrow. Keel up the good fight!

I know right.
  • ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options
    double post
  • ana3067
    Options
    No i am saying that its not healthy !!!!
    Thats just the facts, you don'teat that kind of food daily if trying to be healthy.
    Don't defend it and encourage it because it is without a doubt wrong. Im not going to reply to this thread anymore because it is actually absurd.

I'm trying to be healthy and I can easily eat "junk" food daily... because dietary context trumps the nutritional value of a single food item within that dietary context.

It's totally fine to eat these things if desired. Do you think that you have to eat spinach 24/7 to be healthy? Healthy isn't all or nothing. Just eat food you love, eat a varied diet, and nutritional balance will come naturally.
This discussion has been closed.