Consuming too few calories and gaining weight, what now?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I feel i'm the only sane one here actually. I would rather double my calorie intake with healthy balanced nutritious foods than under-eat on takeaways daily.
    But if its what you think is best then whatever im done haha

Well.. I'd much rather eat a balanced diet of all the foods I love and not demonize any food at all. Which means I'll eat my chocolate and enjoy it.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I feel i'm the only sane one here actually. I would rather double my calorie intake with healthy balanced nutritious foods than under-eat on takeaways daily.

You do realize that eating double your calories of "healthy balanced nutritious foods" will still cause you to gain weight, right? I've totally fit a burger and fries into my day, my macros weren't looking so hot, but calories were still spot on.
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I know. It is not in 'moderation' though.
    Have you looked at her logs or are we all seeing different things.
    The point i'm trying to make is that other members of a 'health and fitness' website shouldn't encourage her to continue these habits.

They think its not uncommon... and that is why they are overweight.
    I'm gone.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Candicutie wrote: »
    Ok let me just clear the air a little. I haven't been eating take away meals daily but i have been on the road a few times and needed to pick up a meal quickly. I do belive in CICO. On the days i did have fast food i ate less so as not to go over my calories. A meal like that simply meant for me that i had fewer calories left to consume, nothing more.

There is nothing wrong with eating those in the first place, so don't let that use get to you about that. Do you plan on NEVER eating these things once you reach your goals? I doubt it, that's not sustainable. Eat now the way you plan to eat for life, the only difference is in how much you are eating right now.

But as for your issue, it is likely a natural fluctuation, but you will still greatly benefit from cleaning up your logging. As I said, you don't have to weigh your food but you do need to start making your own recipes (there is a recipe builder), measure everything you are using and make sure that the entries you choose only reflect measured quantities, and eat consistently to your goal (don't be logging 800 calories) If you want to leave 100 calories as a buffer on days you eat out, that's fine. I don't really bother. Eat back at least half of your exercise calories.
  • iamaprincessx
    Options

You do realize that eating double your calories of "healthy balanced nutritious foods" will still cause you to gain weight, right? I've totally fit a burger and fries into my day, my macros weren't looking so hot, but calories were still spot on.

In fact yes. Call me crazy but I would rather feed my body the nutrients it needs to stay alive than starve myself on food with absolutely zero nutritional value whilst losing weight and become ill.

• ana3067
    Options
    The point i'm trying to make is that other members of a 'health and fitness' website shouldn't encourage her to continue these habits.

I'm gone.
    One can be healthy and fit eating "bad" food every day. If that is all one eats then yeah, there's gonna be some nutritional issues. But you wanna eat a burger every day on top of your varied diet? That's fine. Gets you some protein, fat, and carbs along with some micros from the cheese and veggies on that burger.

In fact yes. Call me crazy but I would rather feed my body the nutrients it needs to stay alive than starve myself on food with absolutely zero nutritional value whilst losing weight and become ill.

Weird.. I've been eating "junk" food for 8 months now, sometimes every day, and I've yet to die or become ill or starve myself. I actually eat quite a lot of food, and my portions of lower nutrient foods are pretty reasonable when taking into account my total caloric needs.

Burgers, fries, chocolate, subway, these things all still provide nutrients that my body requires to survive while also providing it the calories it needs to survive.

As someone already saids above, your thinking is terribly black and white and is of no help to the OP or to yourself, unless you plan on pretty much never enjoying yourself on a night out with friends and resign yourself to being that person who brings their own "healthy" food or opts for the dry salad everywhere :/
  • PrizePopple
    Options

I'm gone.

I've been battling my weight since you were still in the womb. Just because you think you have it all figured out doesn't mean that you are exclusively correct. I'm down 30 pounds and haven't given up a single thing I love. Not one, and yet here you are arm flapping about how these "habits" are not in line with this website??? Seriously?! I'm losing weight, I'm going to take a guess and say that I'm using this site as intended.
  • ana3067
    Options

I'm gone.

Oh, and people are overweight because of CICO, not because they eat out. There are users here who have talked about how they gained weight eating in the very same way you are advocating, and some were also on medications.
  • iamaprincessx
    Options
    Haha but sorry... that is why your overweight.
  • Candicutie
    Options
    Thanks for all your help girls, i do appreciate you all taking the time to speak to me. I'm gonna clean up my loggings and try to make my target more often. My scale is as good as bought. I'm not really dieting i've no intention of changing the way i eat now. I've really just made a lifestyle change and i've yet to perfect it. I guess you could say i'm a work in progress.
  • ana3067
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    okay yes you should take zedeff and ana's tips to eat fast food junk because its good for a healthy diet. brilliant idea you should write a book. i understand 'calorie deficit'... and i understand that even if your under your calories for the day and maybe even lose some weight that THE FOOD IS STILL BAD FOR YOU and BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH.
    do you not understand nutrition?

Do you?

0480a42283b17a473ab87c570578e337.gif
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I guess a takeout burger must have 0 carbs, fats or proteins if it has no nutritional value then.
  • PrizePopple
    Options

you-crazy.gif

Pretty much all food will have nutrients your body needs, just because you want to demonize select foods doesn't mean they stop having the nutrients you claim don't exist.
  • iamaprincessx
    Options
    We need Vitamins and Minerals from eating a varied healthy diet.
    I am a nurse, I deal with this all of the time.
    People who eat bad food, whether they are fat or thin are putting their bodies at risk. You need vitamins to absorb essentials like calcium.
    The numbers of osteoporosis at such young ages is going through the roof from the new age junk food lifestyle.

• ana3067
    Options

Nope. I became overweight in the past because I over-ate, period. I became over-weight prior to joining MFP because I stopped "eating clean" while still putting restrictions on any "unhealthy" foods, as well as shifting my focus from cardio to weight lifting (which I did not do properly, btw). Because I restricted, I would binge. But even BEFORE this, when I dropped down from 195lbs to 140ish lbs at your age, I did it by "eating clean" and being VERY restrictive on what I could and couldn't eat.... and I yo-yoed the same 15-20lbs for 4 years before I finally just kept gaining to almost 190lbs again.

And I'm actually no longer overweight. I'm within the healthy weight range for my height.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Thanks for all your help girls, i do appreciate you all taking the time to speak to me. I'm gonna clean up my loggings and try to make my target more often. My scale is as good as bought. I'm not really dieting i've no intention of changing the way i eat now. I've really just made a lifestyle change and i've yet to perfect it. I guess you could say i'm a work in progress.

No need for you to be perfect at this all the time, but it's important to know when you are failing to meet your goals and to figure out why that is happening. So working on logging more accurately and at some point weighing your food will be fantastic steps; even without weighing your food, you'll find that simply making and using your own recipes and using entries that correspond to how you actually measured the portion will help you see more consistent results.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I eat takeout. I order in probably once every week or two and I'm fine with going to subway/costa/greggs whatever if I'm out and need lunch, or my calories are low and I need to hurry some high cal foods up. Today I went to mcdonalds and had some chicken and some breaded cheese bites and they were delicious. Today I also had some baked goats cheese, cereal, a protein shake and a bunch of cooked veg as a snack. I'm pretty solidly in the underweight section of BMI and have been that way for a good while now. Please don't assume that the only skinny people are those who shun muffins like they're poison - without my 'junk food' to go with my healthier stuff I'd probably average way too low on my calories and be way less healthy than now.

Your attitude is pretty great, I'm sure you'll do well at losing weight if you carry on like this, and it's nice to see people take helpful advice. Just keep on trying and don't be afraid to ask if you need any help :#
  • ana3067
    Options

No need for you to be perfect at this all the time, but it's important to know when you are failing to meet your goals and to figure out why that is happening. So working on logging more accurately and at some point weighing your food will be fantastic steps; even without weighing your food, you'll find that simply making and using your own recipes and using entries that correspond to how you actually measured the portion will help you see more consistent results.
This discussion has been closed.