Consuming too few calories and gaining weight, what now?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    We need Vitamins and Minerals from eating a varied healthy diet.
    I am a nurse, I deal with this all of the time.
    People who eat bad food, whether they are fat or thin are putting their bodies at risk. You need vitamins to absorb essentials like calcium.
    The numbers of osteoporosis at such young ages is going through the roof from the new age junk food lifestyle.

Micronutrients from a varied and healthy diet, check. I receive these even when I include "junk" food into my day, because dietary context. And consumption isn't all or non, black and white, good or bad.

To assume that those of us who eat "bad" food are lacking in required micronutrients is just foolish. None of us are eating popcorn chicken for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, all day every day. Actual moderation of such food allows for proper dietary variety which allows for proper macro- and micronutrient consumption.

As far as osteoporosis goes, people who eat "good" food can also experience this due to malnutrition. Malnutrition can occur due to not having enough variety in one's diet or from simply not eating enough or being underweight. And if your current picture is you at your current weight and you plan on losing almost 25 more pounds, then you will be putting yourself at more risk in regards to your health than those of us who are continuing to eat things we enjoy in moderation.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    We need Vitamins and Minerals from eating a varied healthy diet.
    I am a nurse, I deal with this all of the time.
    People who eat bad food, whether they are fat or thin are putting their bodies at risk. You need vitamins to absorb essentials like calcium.
    The numbers of osteoporosis at such young ages is going through the roof from the new age junk food lifestyle.

Wow, you must have gotten through nursing school and your NCLEX testing really quickly if you're only 20 and a nurse already.

And nurses don't usually deal with things the dietitians and nutritionists are specifically trained to handle.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Delusional
    You do not look healthy.

Me, or others here? I have another 15-20lbs left to lose, but otherwise I'm fairly healthy. Does being skinny to you equate to being healthy? Will you losing another 20lbs and potentially becoming underweight (based on your picture) mean that you are healthier than the rest of us?

I think at this point you just need to eat a cheeseburger and relax.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    This thread is entertaining

tumblr_static_tumblr_mjatuzs0lg1rb4km6o1_500.gif
  • ana3067
    Options
    This thread is entertaining

tumblr_static_tumblr_mjatuzs0lg1rb4km6o1_500.gif

aqxOLOA.gif

also how did I not know that "dancing dean" was a thing
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    First of all I am British and I am a qualified nurse and yes I specializing in nutrition.
    No being 'skinny' does not equate to being 'healthy' to me. I just don't think you should spread your ridiculous little theory about eating whatever junk you want because 'anything can complete your nutritional needs' and as long as you maintain calorie deficit you will loose weight. Sorry but no that's very unhealthy.
    Please stop thinking you are right because you are not, if you were you would not be at that size anyway.. i'm sorry but the truth hurts.
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    I see your dancing, and raise you a Carlton.

98BbqFr.gif
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Candicutie wrote: »
    Well actually i don't, the measurements i inow are sometimes incorrect but i use larger measurements just to be on the safe side. I'd usually rather under eat than overeat.

Get a scale. Cut what you think is a serving of block cheese, or an eyeballed serving of cereal or pasta... and then prepare to be horrified. With cheese I easily have 3 servings when I eyeball, cereal is around 1.5 servings, and pasta is about 2 servings.

That's 226 extra calories of cheese.
    55 extra calories of Honey Nut Cheerios (our go to breakfast cereal).
    And 200 extra calories of spaghetti noodles.

That's 481 extra calories from my eyeballing mistakes on foods that have a set serving size (as opposed to homemade stuff that can vary wildly). That can really kill a deficit, and that's just with 3 food items for the day. It adds up, and does so quickly.

What I used to think was a lovely tbsp. of Peanut butter... Omg, was closer to 3. I actually stopped eating it (even it being in the house, hubby loves it) altogether, 'cuz that's one of my dangerzones. I just start dreaming of PB spoons all day lol. Yes, just got my scale the other day at a thrift store for 40 something cents and am starting to get a bit better at logging. I'm myself am learning and see that it's going to take patience and practice:) So glad I have one now.

• PrizePopple
    Options
    First of all I am British and I am a qualified nurse and yes I specializing in nutrition.
    No being 'skinny' does not equate to being 'healthy' to me. I just don't think you should spread your ridiculous little theory about eating whatever junk you want because 'anything can complete your nutritional needs' and as long as you maintain calorie deficit you will loose weight. Sorry but no that's very unhealthy.
    Please stop thinking you are right because you are not, if you were you would not be at that size anyway.. i'm sorry but the truth hurts.

oh-honey.gif

Seriously, your assertion that you are infallible is total crap. I got fat because I overate all food, not just because I ate a slice of pizza. I don't need your "professional opinion" as to where I went wrong. I know where it was, and it wasn't with food quality but quantity.

I also like your profile picture that is not even you, but something you pulled from the internet.. tumblr, pinterest, instagram, and twitter seem to be loaded with your profile picture. But please, keep telling us all your little lies.
  • ana3067
    Options

Regardless of what you eat, CICO wins. You will lose weight eating twinkies and pie if you want.

And again, healthy is both debatable (e.g. people used to think that dietary fat made people fat, or that eggs were unhealthy because of their cholesterol) AND actually depends on dietary context. Most of us practicing moderation while eating these "bad" foods are also eating a lot of nutrient-dense, i.e. "good," foods along with the "bad" foods. To eat only pringles all day would not be healthy, nor would eating only apples all day, because in both situations you would be lacking nutrients your body needs.

I did not gain weight because I ate pizza, I gained because my calories exceeded my caloric needs. I gained while eating "bad" food and I also gained when I exclusively ate "good" food - the only "processed" foods I ate for 4 years were rice cakes, yogurt, and rice noodles. Everything else was fresh produce and meat etc.

You are extremely young. Hopefully you will grow out of your unhealthy relationship with food and come to realize that being healthy doesn't require eating salad all day, and that moderating one's intake allows for a healthy body and mind.

Oh, and do you wanna see how I looked after gaining 15-20 lbs while I was in my "clean eating" phase?

w224256913.jpg
    w224256915.jpg

And this happened, while I ate "good" food, because my calories in was greater than my calories out.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Just read all the posts.

You really need to learn to read better.

Don't read between the lines before you have actually read the actual lines themselves.

You have sadly missed a lot.

If your schooling entailed this same level of reading ability and logical thinking, me thinks you missed more than a tad.

That's great that you have so much experience as a nutritional nurse at age of 20, with an education of who knows what kind of current or ancient curriculum. Not all schools are chalked up to what they may be made to sound like.

Might want to look at what you are complaining about, and actually reread most of those posts, and with a honest mind see if anyone is actually saying what you are claiming.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @‌iamaprincessx

There is no bad or good food
    There is the fact of TOO MUCH food

I lived the country life.
    Made everything myself Grew everything myself
    Milk direct from the cow, eggs from my own free range chickens
    made my own butter, bread and mayonnaise and more
    Had a huge garden with fruit and veggies nuts etc.

But the moment i became sedentary because of my injury and ate the same as i did when i was active i became overweight.
    And believe me i ate healthy!!

Losing weight is all about eating less calories than you burn
    Nothing difficult or magic about it.

76145189.png
  • iamaprincessx
    Options
    I am not saying this again...............
    Yes. I said I was 'specializing' so if you understood anything about adult nursing you would know that that comes after the second year (Yes I am 20... 21 next week and my friends i'm studying with are the same age, it is not abnormal), and obviously I know how calories in vs. out works i'm not saying you can't be skinny by eating only junk food i'm saying you cannot be healthy and nutritionally balanced.
    I am not explaining myself again. This thread was about a girl who believed she was eating less that she was burning out despite eating a diet consisting of a lot of takeaways and with weight gain. I gave the truth. Don't turn it around and say that I said eating junk food once in a while makes you fat because this is hardly the scenario.
  • iamaprincessx
    Options
    @‌iamaprincessx

But the moment i became sedentary because of my injury and ate the same as i did when i was active i became overweight.

76145189.png

Yes thank you I am aware how weight loss occurs
    Everybody is missing my point entirely and interpreting whatever I am saying in their own way.

• Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am not saying this again...............
    Yes. I said I was 'specializing' so if you understood anything about adult nursing you would know that that comes after the second year (Yes I am 20... 21 next week and my friends i'm studying with are the same age, it is not abnormal), and obviously I know how calories in vs. out works i'm not saying you can't be skinny by eating only junk food i'm saying you cannot be healthy and nutritionally balanced.
    I am not explaining myself again. This thread was about a girl who believed she was eating less that she was burning out despite eating a diet consisting of a lot of takeaways and with weight gain. I gave the truth. Don't turn it around and say that I said eating junk food once in a while makes you fat because this is hardly the scenario.

The thing is not a single person here has said that you can be nutritionally balanced while only eating junk food. The only thing that has been said is that fast foods and the like aren't automatically unhealthy and are fine in moderation (aka within a nutritionally balanced diet), and that you could lose weight just on fast food as long as you were under your required calories. Just eating any one type of food is unhealthy - if I only ate veg I'd have deficiencies for sure, yet they aren't accused of being unhealthy. Her weight gain was very likely a fluctuation and if not it was due to inaccurate measuring, not the takeouts she had while maintaining what looked like a deficit. *That* is the only truth here.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @‌iamaprincessx

76145189.png

Yes thank you I am aware how weight loss occurs
    Everybody is missing my point entirely and interpreting whatever I am saying in their own way.

My opinion is that it is more your attitude that makes people say what they say to you.

You are the one who went of about the Subway food and you rather eat double the amount of "healthy" food than junk food.

There are a lot of people here with more experience in life and skills then you as a studying nurse and nutrition.

If i may say so as a nutrition myself. And not to brag because i am not even qualified in the US.

76145189.png

• iamaprincessx
    Options
    Losing weight does not mean you are healthy.
    You can eat a lower than needed calorie intake of sugary junk foods and still lose weight.
    Depriving your body from the essentials it needs is dangerous for your body's future. That is all I am saying.

This discussion has been closed.