Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It took a little extra effort to literally peel the top off the peanut butter, but it didn't make a huge mess, just got on the top and a little bit on the sides. I may or may not have licked the lid clean... O.O

...and the sides...
    ...and the baking cup...
    ...and my fingers...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    sarieth05 wrote: »

Edit because I wanted to mention I just preportion my cereal into serving sizes right away when I buy it so that's why it's in the ziplock and not dumped into the box. :p

That is such a good idea!!! Right now I just use a measuring cup to measure out cereal when I have it, but I know..I know..thats not accurate... its on my to-do list to get a scale, but for now its better than eye-balling what a serving is though lol But I really like the idea of pre-portioning into ziplocks!

I do this with nuts. I have a Chinese soup spoon which is the perfect size to measure out exactly 100 calories worth of almonds, per the scale. Having it pre-packed makes it much easier to stick to a serving size.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    It took a little extra effort to literally peel the top off the peanut butter, but it didn't make a huge mess, just got on the top and a little bit on the sides. I may or may not have licked the lid clean... O.O

...and the sides...
    ...and the baking cup...
    ...and my fingers...

If you're gonna weigh out some peanut butter and log it, when you eat it, you have the right to lick everything it touches to get every last gram.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

...and the sides...
    ...and the baking cup...
    ...and my fingers...

If you're gonna weigh out some peanut butter and log it, when you eat it, you have the right to lick everything it touches to get every last gram.

No shame in that at all! I actually weigh the peanut butter jar so I can lick the knife with abandon :wink:

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Okay, tomorrow's bento. The guy bringing in lunch for tomorrow is a bit of a Martha Stewart / Paula Deen kind of cook, so whatever we have is going to be massively tasty and wholly unhealthy. Bringing lunch & snack, and I probably only have one of his cookies.

Regular old lunch one, sugar snap peas, edamame, rice, pork & veggie dumplings. Snack bento: bagel chips, laughing cow wedges, egg and an apple that i really had to cram in there.

rf1kciu0l7yy.jpg
  • satansees
    satansees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7‌ out of interest, how do you cook your dumplings? Because I've been trying a few different ways lately, and I'm not sure
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I haven't tried this, but I love this idea!!! The layout reminds me sooo much of plane food though lol.

Trust me, they taste much better than plane food. Unless you make it from all prepackaged food, and then, well, it wouldn't be surprising.

For sure. I kind of enjoy getting my plane food because there always seems like there's so much in front of me! I know most people hate plane food though

So after a day out in Sydney today, with good intentions, I caved and got Nandos which was my entire daily intake eaten in one sitting. This kind of thing has been happening a lot lately, and I was reminded of this discussion. I think preparing my food this way would help me a LOT to stay on track, so I decided to give it a go. Even though tomorrow's a Sunday and I have no where to go.

Untitled.jpg

Voilà! My first ever Bento.. I'm kinda excited about it. I used the tutorial on the first couple of pages in this discussion to make the egg roll "tamagoyaki" and it was super helpful and relatively easy.. happy with how mine turned out. I put capsicum and onion in mine and used 3 eggs. Then I've got a salad (ice berg lettuce and tomato) which I plan to dress with balsamic vinegar.. then some banana that I cut up into shapes just for the hell of it. Total cals (incl. the balsamic) is going to be 423 for the whole box. Sweet!

I've been struggling a lot with my weight loss lately.. at the last 5 kilos and I'm so glad I came across this. I think this could help me get excited about healthy food again and be that motivation I need to get through the last few kilos!

Mmmmmmm, Nandos *drool* I always go for the extra-hot peri peri paella. I'm lucky that where I work in South Melbourne it's at least a 15 minute walk for takeout. I've also now gotten to the point when I pre-prepare for road trips with bento's, so I won't cave and get Macca's when my husband decides he wants a big mac (I just stuck to coffee when that happened last night).

Your tamagoyaki looks good. I remember the first one (2....3...) I made was a right ol' mess.
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited February 2015
    Options
    satansees wrote: »
    @SpecialKitty7‌ out of interest, how do you cook your dumplings? Because I've been trying a few different ways lately, and I'm not sure

I prefer to sear the bottoms in some sesame oil until good and crunchy and then put some water in to cover about a quarter of the way up the dumplings and simmer until the dumpling is cooked, but lately, I've been steaming them for 15 minutes on top of a paper towel (keeps them from sticking to my steamer).

I should add these are frozen to begin with. I have made dumplings myself, but while tasty, these are just as good and are around 3.50 a bag.8jgo58nt8i30.jpg

• satansees
    Options

I prefer to sear the bottoms in some sesame oil until good and crunchy and then put some water in to cover about a quarter of the way up the dumplings and simmer until the dumpling is cooked, but lately, I've been steaming them for 15 minutes on top of a paper towel (keeps them from sticking to my steamer).

I should add these are frozen to begin with. I have made dumplings myself, but while tasty, these are just as good and are around 3.50 a bag.8jgo58nt8i30.jpg

I was doing the water after frying thing too for ages. And then I watched this tv programme where he boiled the dumplings and then fried them (don't do that). Then I tried the steamer and then frying, which I think I prefer? So many ways

The only frozen ones I can get are quite a trek, and there's not that many in the box :( when I make them myself it's just leftovers and costs pennies (mashed chicken goes a really really long way) I did just buy some frozen pastry circles though, which I am excited to try and should make it an hour faster.

Those egg rolls look yummy!
    Why is there always such a huge queue for nandos? In a otherwise empty food court even.

• NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @mangrothian‌ -- If this is truly your first post, then I am impressed... I think my first post was something about trying to figure out how to change my profile picture, or something... xD

Seriously though, this is absolutely amazing, and while I sadly don't have anything of helpfulness to contribute other than kind words and fan girling (I've never actually done a bento lunch, but I'm currently scouring JustBento now, thanks to a previous suggestion early on in the thread) I can absolutely appreciate this, and will be sure to keep my eyes open for any recipes/ideas I find that I could share. I would love to add you to steal from your bento ideas (If that's okay! :3P) and share anything of helpfulness I may find...

And I know we said no sammiches, but OMGOSH, would you look at this? [I had to scour my news feed to find this again. I think I have to buy it... :P

https://otakumode.com/shop/52b27f17a19505bc5600010f?utm_source=tom&utm_medium=facebook&utm_term=EC&utm_campaign=pre_reg2015022003&utm_content=album&tom_cohort=pre_reg2015022003
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

And I know we said no sammiches, but OMGOSH, would you look at this? [I had to scour my news feed to find this again. I think I have to buy it... :P

Those are no sammiches! How fun would those be?

The only frozen ones I can get are quite a trek, and there's not that many in the box :( when I make them myself it's just leftovers and costs pennies (mashed chicken goes a really really long way) I did just buy some frozen pastry circles though, which I am excited to try and should make it an hour faster.

That's where I get kind of lucky. The bags I buy have at least 6-7 servings of 5 dumplings for the 3.50. I think this brand is what they sell to restaurants. They are easy to make and tasty, I'm just lazy. If I'm eating them immediately, I do the fry and water, but for the bentos steaming worked best.

• mangrothian
    Options
    @mangrothian‌ -- If this is truly your first post, then I am impressed... I think my first post was something about trying to figure out how to change my profile picture, or something... xD

Seriously though, this is absolutely amazing, and while I sadly don't have anything of helpfulness to contribute other than kind words and fan girling (I've never actually done a bento lunch, but I'm currently scouring JustBento now, thanks to a previous suggestion early on in the thread) I can absolutely appreciate this, and will be sure to keep my eyes open for any recipes/ideas I find that I could share. I would love to add you to steal from your bento ideas (If that's okay! :3P) and share anything of helpfulness I may find...

https://otakumode.com/shop/52b27f17a19505bc5600010f?utm_source=tom&utm_medium=facebook&utm_term=EC&utm_campaign=pre_reg2015022003&utm_content=album&tom_cohort=pre_reg2015022003

Heh I remember the reason I mentioned that in the OP was because of been lurking the forums for so long and had seen really basic question threads turn into slamfests and it kinda worried me a bit.

heh, it was never a strictly a no sandwiches thread, but in terms of being able to tightly pack and nutritionally balance, a sandwich is usually frowned upon. Not to mention the sodium content of most generic sandwich fillers. The sandwiches in the link are cute, and I might keep that link as an idea for whenever I next pack a picnic bento, but for my normal lunch, that's way too much fussing.

This has also reminded me that I didn't take a picture of today's bento. Maybe I'll remember to take one before I scoff it down after gym today. They pretty much loom the same before and after they've been sealed, just the top veggies always look a little squished.
  • satansees
    Options
    It's an adorable rice wrapping though! (Darn my hatred of ham) Is it secured with cocktail sticks? That's the part that seems like a faff. That site has some completely adorable thing though - Like the quail egg animals! (Now that's a fuss)

Today I made tiny fajitas. I finally bought an egg slicer AND some mini babybel. Looks pretty similar to my last boxes though, so no photo.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Okay, here's mondays bento, both mine and the husband's first one. Put a little more effort into making them cute, so husband will want to keep eating them (instead of fast food every day). I had to take a picture of the bottom layer first so the veggies and cheese didn't dry out while the top layer cooled. Husband's layer has ranch dressing in the pot, mine has sunflower seeds. Top layer is yellow saffron rice, black beans, cheese, and ground chicken breast with sazon seasoning. I haven't logged it yet, so no idea on calories, but if you want to see, check my diary for the 23rd.
    3ekidddi6zqg.jpg
    ho9pmadb0z01.jpg
  • cpav444
    cpav444 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it take a lot of time to make these ?

I've never done any Bentos, only "salad in a jar"...I need to go read this entire thread !!
  • satansees
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7‌ are the bunnies quail eggs? Show us how! (Not that I can find quail eggs)
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    cpav444 wrote: »

I've never done any Bentos, only "salad in a jar"...I need to go read this entire thread !!

My ones today? Yes, but I made everything from scratch. My normal ones? No longer than making any other lunch. About 15 mins to 25 mins. @mangrothian has it down to an artform, she can put them together in less time than that.

• mangrothian
    Options
    cpav444 wrote: »

My ones today? Yes, but I made everything from scratch. My normal ones? No longer than making any other lunch. About 15 mins to 25 mins. @mangrothian has it down to an artform, she can put them together in less time than that.

Except for yesterday, when it took me about an hour to make a batch of red wine vinegar chicken and a small batch of rice. My fitbit step count for the day was looking dismal (long day of driving on Saturday and getting home late wrecked me for Sunday), so I spent more time dancing to youtube videos and chasing one of my dogs around the kitchen than cooking.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7 Those lunches are sooo cute! I maybe stealing this idea one day! The bunnies are so cute!!

ETA: I lied, I will be making something like this with Tuesday's lunch box. Your idea is just to cute and wonderful.

I am so glad mangrothian started this!
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Can you please come make my meals look like that?? They are so cute!! ^-^