Favourite Vegetable? What do you do with it?

Options

Replies

• nickibowen
    nickibowen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My fave fave vegetable has to be butternut squash, low calorie...not too sweet and i love roast it or mash it or soup it...my favourite bsquash meal is to half it, roast it and put lentil sau e on top with a blob of yoghurt. Mmmm..

whats your fave veg and recipe?

Kale and spinach is great in an omelet and topped with a little salsa.
  • Breaded mushrooms. My Mother told me that she use to eat loaves of bread & cans of whole mushrooms, when she was pregnant with me. I never liked bread & mushrooms separately, like that though.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Carrots! Raw, cooked, doesn't matter. I recently tried Green Giant's frozen roasted carrots, and that was the first carrot I did not care for. I eat carrots almost every day. I also love green beans (southern style - not crunchy all - though I know it has less nutritional value) and corn!

I'm a very picky eater, but I think I'll try butternut squash. Everyone is raving about it!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes. Baked, add cinnamon. Omnomnomnom!!!!
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Steamed Brussels sprouts or broccoli drizzled with lemon almond butter. Yum !
    Whole roasted honey carrots.
    Green pea cold salad.
    Sliced zucchini sauteed with stewed tomato sprinkled with asiago.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Breaded mushrooms. My Mother told me that she use to eat loaves of bread & cans of whole mushrooms, when she was pregnant with me. I never liked bread & mushrooms separately, like that though.

They sell mushrooms in cans?

• bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus! Either grilled or roasted in the oven. I also love roasted brocolli & carrots. Yummmy
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Just a easy and (what I consider) a yummy treat instead mashed potato is:

1 serving

2 cups steamed, frozen cauliflower
    30 ml (approx. 2 tbsp.) Land O Lake Fat Free Half and Half
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Once the cauliflower is steamed, strain then let the pan dry out for a couple of minutes to get water out. I then mash, mash, mash. Add the Half and Half and salt/pepper.

This is so rich tasting and has only 14 grams of carbs. I know this is only one little recipe but I have a terrible problem keeping my carbs down and my protein and fiber up.

Calories 70
    Carbs 14 g
    Fat 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Sodium 90 mg
    Fiber 5g

So happy, btw. I bet my Fiber (and over) for the first time in for....... well, EVER (LOL).
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Roasted parsnips, and what we used to call "squirmit" as kids - equal parts turnip and carrots cooked and then mashed together!!
  • ashleycde wrote: »
    Breaded mushrooms. My Mother told me that she use to eat loaves of bread & cans of whole mushrooms, when she was pregnant with me. I never liked bread & mushrooms separately, like that though.

They sell mushrooms in cans?

34 years ago, when my Mother was pregnant with me but they do still sell them, in the canned vegetable isle; either in cans or jars. I can't remember which.
  • lwynd002
    lwynd002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Broccoli--I just like to steam it, then season with salt and pepper
    Carrots--Baked in the oven, coconut oil, salt, pepper
    Cabbage--I like to chop it up and use loads of it in stirfry...so good! sometimes i'll just steam it and eat with vinegar

• SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Steamed broccoli or cauliflower :3 (with soy sauce or salt and pepper, obviously :D)
    Oh and baby bok choy!
    also love celery raw.
    And cooked carrots are the greatest dessert!
  • retailwizard1
    retailwizard1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bag of steamed veggies... usually carrots, cauliflower and broccoli and melt low fat shredded cheese over the top with fat free Italian dressing ... tasty filling and super quick and easy
  • azneee
    azneee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fennel, hands down best veggie! Flavor is so refreshing in a salad (paired with a dill and vinegar dressing) and I love the crunch. Also a great stir-fried. I beg you, give it a shot!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Snooozie wrote: »
    Roasted parsnips, and what we used to call "squirmit" as kids - equal parts turnip and carrots cooked and then mashed together!!

We just call this "mash"; carrots and turnips boiled together and mashed with butter. Served with a little salt and copious amounts of black pepper.

Even better the next day fried in a pan so there are crispy bits.

Also good with turkey gravy!

Also, roasted parsnips are the best thing ever.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    I'm into roasted veg. Broccoli roasted in olive oil with garlic, served with parm over it. Ditto for cauliflower/asparagus/brussel sprouts, though I'm more likely to use bacon fat for brussel sprouts.

My favorite lately is baby spinach. I sautee 6oz of it briefly with 10g bacon fat and garlic. Right before serving, I hit it with red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
  • Linvala
    Linvala Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes! I love them raw but stewed are pretty good as well.
    I also like cabbage. Usually cook it with some onions, peppers and potatoes with a few seasonings. So good.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Sun dried tomatoes. I make them in a dehydrator, and eat as many as I can without putting myself totally out of ketosis. Can't wait for Summer tomatoes. I'm going to have to work up to a couple hours a day of exercise just to fit those into a low carb lifestyle!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower.... tossed with olive oil and smoked paprika and roasted.

^^this!

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I love pretty much all vegetables! Roasted with olive oil is my favorite way to prepare them.