Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Replies

• crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    It wasn't my aha moment, I had already had one of those I mentioned earlier in this thread. I had another defining moment. I had given an old point and shoot digital camera to my young 4 year old daughter around a year or so ago when I had gotten a new one. She loves to take pictures, especially of unsuspecting people and dogs. I looked through all the pictures on the memory card and was really floored at what I saw. She had taken several pictures of me and my husband in the same chairs doing the same things we always do. Looking at those made me see again how unhealthy I am and that I tend to sit in the same place and eat entirely too much. I plan to print out those pictures as a reminder to myself to get up and move and eat at the table so I can focus on my food and not just shoving it in my mouth. I really wanted to just cry when I saw those. I want to make sure I am a better example to her than that.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    I got tired of seeing all the cute clothes but noticed how they looked quite different in a bigger size.
  • SaraJaneNolan
    SaraJaneNolan Posts: 4 Member
    I stopped smoking and gained 10 KG which pushed my weight up to the highest it had been since i was pregnant. I just decided i was sick of hating my body and if i wanted to stop feeling that way i was the only one who could do that for me. I picked a date to start that was about 3 weeks away and let myself eat whatever i wanted to then then i gave it all i have and now im 24 kgs lighter. I decided if i was going to do it i was going to go all the way and try to be on the lower end of my weight for my height and that i would do it in a healthy and sustainable way.
  • catinamess
    catinamess Posts: 68 Member
    When I realised that my breastfeeding boobs (as in a few sizes bigger than normal) still don't compete with my tummy! Boobs are probably a size 10/12 but tummy and back fat closer to a size 16. Which means tops and dresses are either too tight or too loose!
    and so tired all the time, have no energy to look after a baby and a toddler.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    I saw a picture of a very overweight woman and said "wow have a shirt like that"...that woman in that photo was me. I didn't even realize I had gotten that over weight and didn't even recognize myself in my photo.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    My 9 yr old asked me if I was pregnant again....less than a week later my 3 yr old rubbed my belly and asked if a baby was in there.
  • Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    I did bungee jumping in December 2014. They made a video of it and When I saw the video I saw this person who helped me back to ground stick his tongue out coz he couldn't believe how heavy I am! and that deeply offended me. I almost burst into tears and decided enough! I hate my fat body and I wanna get healthy
  • When I hit a BMI of 30 for the first time this January (as in profile pic). It crept up on me (mine was <18 just 7 years ago!) and I could deny it was a problem more easily when it was still in the 20s, even if it was 29.8 or whatever, but seeing that change to 30 on my scale set something off in me. I never want to be <18 again but low-to-mid 20s instead of >25 is my goal. It's working so far and that's encouraging me to keep working at it!
  • lulufee317537
    lulufee317537 Posts: 50 Member
    It seems like I've always been on a diet. I suppose my first time dieting was during the Subway's Jared campaign in 2000. I worked at Subway and had started doing karate. I went to it with gusto and got down to a size 10. Needless to say, I went back up to a 14 within a couple years. Then dieted again in 2010, getting down to 165 lbs. Went back up again of course. At one point I was 205. That was in 2012.
    Since my first dieting experience, I've been on an upward track towards a more healthy lifestyle. Just learning more about how to be healthy and stuff.
    In 2012 I was 205 lbs. My boyfriend and I went totally vegan. I was tired of being addicted to cheese and chinese buffet restaurants. Since then, I've lost weight steadily, I cook all of my own meals pretty much, I'm eating more whole foods. Recently I've been reading about vegan bodybuilding and am very motivated to be in the best shape I can be in, for my own health and for the cause of veganism.
    Not to mention, it's really what I've always wanted, to be a hot muscle woman badass. :)
  • I don't wanna be fat... it's that simple..
  • AngelZealot
    AngelZealot Posts: 49 Member
    I got sick of not liking myself anymore. Tired of being lazy, and fed up with wearing clothes that hide my body. It seemed like all my clothes were unflattering on me, and it was time for a change.
  • dougl004
    dougl004 Posts: 98 Member
    I got sick of not liking myself anymore. Tired of being lazy, and fed up with wearing clothes that hide my body. It seemed like all my clothes were unflattering on me, and it was time for a change.

I'm beyond ready to buy a beautiful form fitting dress and turn heads!! No more frumpy clothes.

• dusky_rose
    dusky_rose Posts: 2 Member
    Well, when I get on the wii board while on the wii fit game and it tells me that I'm overweight, then I figured that I'd better lose because I'm 49 and not getting any younger and I have a 7 year old son to keep up with. Lol
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    A few things.

-I got to the point I had to get pants in a size that is the lowest size a plus size shop caries and that I told myself I will never wear.
    -I was diagnosed with Connective Tissue Disease and I felt like crap and there was nothing they could do to help me... so I thought losing weight and eating better certainly couldn't hurt and I was getting tired of the dr. bills.
    -My parents kept making remarks.
    -I was embarrassed to be seen and hid in my tiny condo and avoided pictures instead of living the great like I envisioned I would live once I graduated from college.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Came across the "what will I look like?" website around Christmas 2013, & something just clicked. I'd had a MFP account since 2010 & never really used it, but I've used it daily now for over a year! :D
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I used to be very thin (healthy thin). Then, gained each year. I wanted to get back to my "old self", but just "couldn't" get there.

A visit to my Dr., last May, changed that. My blood pressure had been high for the last three visits. She gave me four months to get it under control, or I was going on meds.

The next day, I started reading labels, eliminating salt. That caused me to really look at what I was going to prepare as a meal.

The side effect of all if this is that my BP went back to normal in less than two months, and since May, I am down 56 pounds.

I still have a bit to go, but I keep shopping in my closet, getting back into my smaller clothing. Feels great to be on the right journey.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    When I got diagnosed with Type2 DM in May 2012. Yo yo dieter for most of my adult life (lost it & gained it and more back). Something just clicked that May. I'd been dealing with heartburn, hypertension, high cholesterol issues for years and was on 4 meds...and now with DM (med #5) and the complications that come with it...was my motivating factor.

Off all meds since Sept 2013. Currently maintaining my loss (-150) & NEVER want to be in that situation ever again. So I guess the curse was actually a blessing, that was my wake up call.
  • Wreathy
    Wreathy Posts: 61 Member
    I used to be a normal healthy weight, and then I got CFS (ME)...gained weight from that as expected. Then I started comfort eating. When I look in the mirror now I don't recognise myself, and when I dream I look like my 'old' self still. I'm just sick of this and want 'me' back.
  • Wreathy
    Wreathy Posts: 61 Member
    Oh and I found out I was close to pre-diabetic as well. Uh uh, no way. No thank you very much.
  • PattiMackinnon
    PattiMackinnon Posts: 22 Member
    A friend and I were talking about far off future plans and he said to me "we don't have to plan too far ahead." I was confused and then he said to me "there are no old, obese people...they don't make it that far." That stuck with me; I want to grow old and be healthy when I get there!