My 600 Pound Life?

Options

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Lisa1971 wrote: »
    TLC has kind of turned into a freak show over the past decade. It used to be The Learning Channel and showed documentry type things similar to Discovery Channel. Now it's all reality shows and things like "My Strange Addiction"

That show "My strange addiction" creeps me out. Especially the one where the woman was eating her dead husband's ashes! WHAT?????????? GROSS!

I know!!! There was a woman who ate dryer sheets, a man who was having an intimate (yes - real intimate) relationship with his car, another guy who had intimate relationships with pool blow up toys, a young woman who injested fabreeze air freshener, a girl who liked to dress like a baby (she even slept in a crib, wore diapers and drank from a bottle).

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I watched a few episodes one night months ago. It made me feel sick to my stomach. Hmmmm - maybe watching would be good motivation when I find myself in the kitchen elbow-deep into something I shouldn't be eating. I do watch hoarders when I need to get busy on house cleaning but don't want to, and it motivates me. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • crystalstinson7
    crystalstinson7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I prefer this show to My Fat Fabulous Life (I think I got that right). At least My 600lb Life shows a gritty reality with people fighting to change. Sometimes it's hard to watch them lie to themselves and to watch their loved ones enable and endanger them, but it's better than watching someone who seems to think it's funny to be fat. Don't get me wrong, I think Whitney's personality is ... zesty, but I think it's fake, too. I think it's a cover-up for how insecure, sad, and horrible she really feels. I don't think it's healthy to put that on T.V. and promote it as positivity.

No matter how much we think we've got it figured out, we will never truly understand the human psyche. I truly feel for those people. It's hard for me to watch sometimes, but when they triumph, that's amazing! When they look at the scale and smile, I'm right there with them. That's got to be a wonderful feeling, watching those numbers decline.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I watched Penny's episode and update yesterday. The only thing holding her back is herself and her excuses. I was disgusted by her attitude and her treatment of others.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Now I'm curious, is there somewhere I can watch this without having cable? Having been morbidly obese, seeing others' reactions to it is interesting to me...not in a freak show way, but in a 'this was my life' way...

Maybe YouTube?

Nope, they keep that locked down. Unlike a lot of other series, you can't find this one on Youtube. I've looked.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I prefer this show to My Fat Fabulous Life (I think I got that right). At least My 600lb Life shows a gritty reality with people fighting to change. Sometimes it's hard to watch them lie to themselves and to watch their loved ones enable and endanger them, but it's better than watching someone who seems to think it's funny to be fat. Don't get me wrong, I think Whitney's personality is ... zesty, but I think it's fake, too. I think it's a cover-up for how insecure, sad, and horrible she really feels. I don't think it's healthy to put that on T.V. and promote it as positivity.

No matter how much we think we've got it figured out, we will never truly understand the human psyche. I truly feel for those people. It's hard for me to watch sometimes, but when they triumph, that's amazing! When they look at the scale and smile, I'm right there with them. That's got to be a wonderful feeling, watching those numbers decline.

I suspect My Fat Fabulous Life is going to curve into the beloved American 'sin and repent' track sooner rather than later. I enjoy the show, and I am rooting for her to get fit and not get diabetes, but I feel it's a little manipulative.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't quite understand it...they make some of them lose weight for surgery...they do it...soooo tell them "another stone or 2"...and keep doing it. If they can lose some, they clearly have the skills to lose the rest.

And those that are bed ridden... DO. NOT. FEED. THE. ELEPHANT.
    What are they gonna do?? Shout cuz you gave em salad not KFC? Go out! Might motivate em to do something about it if they're being refused the naughty snacks/giant 18 supersized McDs meals etc! The feeders are as bad!!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

That's how I feel. I've loved watching the updates when the determined people have just kept plugging away, with their lives getting better, pound by pound. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried with Olivia when she tried on her first pair of jeans in many years and they fit.

The ones in denial (e.g. Penny, Pauline), well, I just feel sad for them and the people around them.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Penny's story and Pauline's story both infuriated me. I feel so bad for both of their children.

I read somewhere that Pauline has spent a good portion of her life making money off of her weight doing fetish work and other stuff. This could be a huge reason for her refusal to cooperate (though I'm not justifying it) since even though it is killing her, it has been her livelihood in the past. Still ridiculous to me and her excuses make me want to puke.
  • metamorphmama
    metamorphmama Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I watched all of the the shows yesterday, they motivate me not to become complacent. While watching I became angry at the enablers who keep getting the food are doing the chores for them and then a fear set over me...... I do that. I will call my older son or my husband to get the babies bottle or change him, or to bring me something from the kitchen, etc..... I am making them my enablers and I am avoiding physical activity. Without realizing it I was potentially setting myself up for a horrible future. Yeah, I'm no were near the size of these people but I'm sure at some point in their lives they were simply overweight and not super morbidly obese and over time, with the help of their enablers and poor diet, the weight crept on and lead to their current state. I'm thankful to this show for making me aware of a fault within myself.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My Strange Addiction and Hoarders are simply too disgusting for me to watch. Anyone who could live in a home infested with vermin, is beyond me.

I do think that the psychological part of severe obesity needs to be incorporated into a treatment plan for recovery from food addiction, and definitely a component of family therapy needs to be included. Surgery is not an answer. It is a short term fix. I think a full scale psych evaluation should be included in the assessment prior to surgery.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    My Strange Addiction and Hoarders are simply too disgusting for me to watch. Anyone who could live in a home infested with vermin, is beyond me.

I do think that the psychological part of severe obesity needs to be incorporated into a treatment plan for recovery from food addiction, and definitely a component of family therapy needs to be included. Surgery is not an answer. It is a short term fix. I think a full scale psych evaluation should be included in the assessment prior to surgery.

I agree. My mom worked with a woman who had had four gastric bypass surgeries. FOUR. She undid every single one of them by overeating. The day before her last surgery, she went to BK and ate two Whoppers with cheese and a large fry.

This woman was a nurse at the same hospital where my mom worked as a nurse. Also, I went to school with her children. They were always poor and didn't have proper clothes or other things the other kids had. Presumably because their selfish mother used all of their money to have those wasteful surgeries.

It was very sad.
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I saw a show the other night, it might have been a repeat but it's called "My Weight is Killing Me", basically the same as My 600 lb life. Anyway there was a young woman named Tiffany who was totally alone and so so obese and they had to turn her down because she wouldn't have had anyone to help her after surgery. It was one of the saddest things I've seen and I'm still thinking about her.

Aww, that's terrible! Couldn't she has gotten a home health aide or something for a while? I don't know, I know they don't have those services anywhere. :( Sad!
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I watch it occasionally for motivation and to scare the crap out of myself. I know not everyone feels bad for them...they did it to themselves, blah, blah, blah but I know from personal experience that weight can be a really slippery slope. In 2 years I quit smoking, was laid off from my job, depressed, out of work for 7 months, and gained like 60 lbs. That is after already having gained too much weight in the 6-8 years before. I hate where I am at right now and I am so mad at myself. For these 600lb + people it is really hard to pick yourself up and dust yourself off when you can hardly move or breath or take care of yourself. It's hard enough for me to do it now and I am no where close to them.
    Just maybe have a little sympathy for other human beings that are suffering. Whether or not you agree with what led to that suffering.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I don't quite understand it...they make some of them lose weight for surgery...they do it...soooo tell them "another stone or 2"...and keep doing it. If they can lose some, they clearly have the skills to lose the rest.

And those that are bed ridden... DO. NOT. FEED. THE. ELEPHANT.
    What are they gonna do?? Shout cuz you gave em salad not KFC? Go out! Might motivate em to do something about it if they're being refused the naughty snacks/giant 18 supersized McDs meals etc! The feeders are as bad!!

You didn't have to call them "elephants". Very rude and unnecessary.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

That's how I feel. I've loved watching the updates when the determined people have just kept plugging away, with their lives getting better, pound by pound. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried with Olivia when she tried on her first pair of jeans in many years and they fit.

The ones in denial (e.g. Penny, Pauline), well, I just feel sad for them and the people around them.

I absolutely love Zsalynn's story...she has such a powerful outlook on her life, and I'm so glad she cut out the negativity in her life and has formed a better relationship with her daughter.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Pauline reacts to her own episode

[url="http://youtu.be/Jr4W9AO-kOg"[/url]
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Awe it's gone :(
  • kclerkin9
    Options
    Hard to watch. It certainly has a motivation factor, but it is difficult to see people who are clearly in addiction with families who are codependent.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    Awe it's gone :(
    There should be a link to watch directly on youtube.