WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Does anyone lift heavy? If so, what do you do?

Mary from Minnesota

smiley-sport017.gifI lift the heaviest weights I can. I have ankle weights--right now 10 pounds on each ankle. I have several sets of hand weights (dumbbells) up to 15 pounds. I also do pushups and triceps dips and planks that are body weight exercises. I do them with ankle weights and that makes them more challenging.

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif Barbie
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    x
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    Options
    Barbie - thanks, I would never have blocked that adding ankle Weights to the Plank would make it more difficult. I will try that. Do you notice good results with using your weight, and do you follow any program?make it more difficult. I will try that. Do you notice good results with using your weight, and do you follow any program?

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    Mary, I started with the program in "Strong Women Stay Young" then added and subtracted over time. I've read some other books and articles about strength training and taken some ideas from them. I don't have the time, money, or inclination to join a gym so I needed to find something I could do at home with only a small investment in equipment. The 15 pound dumbbells were a valentine gift from my husband the year I read the book. We already had 4, 5, and 10 pound sets.

I read "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and learned a lot but wasn't attracted to the program for myself.

Yes, I've noticed good results. The results would be better if I did my program more often than once a week.

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif Barbie
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Had some computer issues but think it's ok now. Thought I had lost you all! It's been cold and icy so I decided to clean the grout in the kitchen, eating area and laundry room. I'm so sore from using muscles that I don't use often. But the floors look great. Suppose to get snow in the morning. We'll see if it happens.
    Have a great evening.
    SueBDew - TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    does everyone know their resting heart rate?

This morning it was 62. When I was a newly-wed about a zillion years ago my doctor told me I'd live forever due to low blood pressure and slow heart rate.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    stats for the day: nice enough day that i rode from wk to home
    bike ride hm 2 gym- 12.23min, 14.3amph, 3mi - 115cal
    rope pull- 15min, 89ftpmin, 1378ft, lvl7, topset - 57cal
    ski machine- 15min, 15resist., .90mi - 88cal
    single leg balances- 10min, 1 set squats - 34cal
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.47 min, 12.7amph, 1.4mi - 73cal
    bike ride work 2 hm, up 72nd hill- 50.19min, 12amph, 10mi - 467cal
    total cal 834
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    nice... i had never realized (until i found out a couple of years ago) what having a low heart rate meant. mine is 50. the lowest i've seen it is 45
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Beth – sorry to hear about you DS’s migraines --- thought that diet might have been the key… Darn!

Pip – no I don’t and I can’t find my pulse at rest or while exercising… I know it is not supposed to be hard to do, but I just don’t feel it.

Had a great crustless quiche for dinner and have loads of left over calories.... how fun! going to make the chocolate muffins and try one!

Feb. goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good evening, ladies. I hope everyone had a good day.

*Katla, good luck with DH. I’m sure you can use tact when the situation calls for it. Men are just different animals when it comes to health and wellbeing. I think they want to be infallible.

*Terri
    , good that the cookie dough is all gone. Ahhh, did it all go in you or did you toss it? 

*MMINMD, Way to go on your first month!!! It sounds like you have a great mindset and good habits. Don’t get discouraged when it slows down. I know you’ll be successful.

*Gail, so sorry about your sister. I’ll put her on my prayer list. It's so sweet of you to knit hats for her. I look forward to pictures of the hats.

*Mary, I could just picture your St Bernard with all the toys in his mouth. :p

*Sylvia
    , that joke was great!

*Barbie
    , your words are so true.

*fancy
    , I’m not the expert, but I have heard many times on MFP to only eat back ½ of the calories burned in exercising. I guess some of that is because the calculation is not exact either in calories burned or calories eaten. But whatever you find works for you is great.

*Deb
    , welcome to the group and a big CONGRATS on your loss. Yes it’s amazing that we can change what too us years to mis-shape. Best of luck on your journey.

*Pip, my DH has a very low heart rate. Usually resting is in the 40’s. When he has to do a stress test, they do the chemical one because he wears out before they can get his heart rate up high enough.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Have a great evening, all.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • margaretx
    margaretx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. I'm a "two steps forward, one-and-a-half-steps back" type. In the first few months of last year, I lost 27 pounds, and have gained back 25. Better than gaining back 30, right?

At the beginning of the year I resumed doing Bikram yoga 3 times a week. That habit is now pretty firmly (re)established and now I'm ready to start daily food diaries. Today was a yoga day, and I managed to keep the calories at a level where MFP said, "If every day was like today, in 5 weeks you'd weigh 191 pounds." That's pretty good for me--I'm tall and built like a pack mule. :smiley:

I'm happy to offer support, so feel free to friend me and we'll chat or whatever helps. I'll be here every day, reporting progress.

And to the person who started the thread--thank you! I have two standard poodles too. Aren't they a riot?
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    Snow for TN again tomorrow, I'm read for Spring. I'm getting in a rut no exercise staying in all the time, I tend to cook and eat. My food choices seems to be the same things over and over. I don't really plan out my meals it's just what ever.

I enjoy reading all the post.

Sue in TN
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wednesday and BIG shopping day with fish and chips on the wharf at Wynyard. Then Bunnings for grout and sealant,
    Stan is cooking dinner
    Stan is going to fix the shower tomorrow.
    We are babysitting a puppy tomorrow whilst neighbours go to Launceston. Drop off at 8am and pick up around 5pm. So will have to get up and do a 2Km racewlak round my 400 M track before they arrive.
    Stan is going to empty book shelf of all books and polish it. Need to get rid of dog hairs and less coughing for me ion the long run
    Walking only today, mini rest day
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • VilmaVEllis
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    3441730vo4n50ku8t.gif 160198dlwasor5m6.gif
    smiley-talk017.gifWelcome to a friendly community of women. The name says Women ages 50+ but all women are welcome. I hope that those of you who are new will become part of this community. None of us is able to manage this journey to health and fitness alone.

How did you do with your goals or resolutions for January?
    What goals or resolutions have you chosen for February?

Sign your post with your name or alias and your geographic location so we can get to know each other better.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

My quote for 2015 (and the last five years)--- The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

January Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
    *walk 18,500 steps a day (over 20,000 many days)
    *strength training twice a week (once a week at best) smiley-sport017.gif
    *review our will and documents of personal information (finished and filed in all the right places)
    *don't expect praise or recognition (a great addition to my daily happiness)
    *learn and teach two new dances (yes---and one of the dances was one that I choreographed) 253149qtzkf0ld22.gif

February Resolutions
    *walk 19,000 steps a day (this is higher than last month)
    *strength training twice a week (this is the one I still haven't accomplished)
    smiley-sport017.gif
    *get the income tax numbers compiled and mailed to the accountant
    *Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good--this goes well with my happiness commandment to "Lighten up"

146200.png

Anybody in Lake Worth, FL area. Would love to start walking group
  • VilmaVEllis
    Options
    Any women in Lake Worth, FL area. Would love to start walking group 50+
  • katab2014
    katab2014 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to the community and new to being 50+ too. I live in Chester, UK just on the border with Wales. My job is stressful and often sedentary but I also have the joy of travelling into North Wales several times a week, so can't complain!
    + I recently returned fromAustralia having emigrated 11 years ago...then my husband became a grand-father and we returned, so still adjusting to life in the UK and still missing my Aussie friends...
    + Managed to lost 19kg in my last year in Aus but have gained most of it back...my fault for letting stress etc get to me
    + Anyway, you all seem wacky and friendly which is what we all need in our lives...
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Welcome dccnm, I was going to tell you that Meg is a professor of nursing but I see she already chimed in. If I am correct, my husband often tells me I'm not, she is a clinical professor and has written some clinical books. I am a lowly RN!!! But you guys need us and it was the most wonderful time in my life. There are a couple of other nurses here also. Like some one else said, you seem to be doing everything right but dear menopause arrived in your life and took over. Yep, that's why we have a group for us people. Just keep on doing what you are doing and it will happen.

Pipcd34 you ask about a resting heart rate. If anyone is taking a beta blocker for their heart or for blood pressure, using the resting heart rate to judge your exercise won't work. You have to use an exertion scale. Now my MS can't tell you what all that is but it has to do with how your body is feeling as far an exertion, how well you can easily have a conversation while exercising, etc.

Michele, do you do counted cross stitch? I made a tree scirt for my sister a couple of years ago. Most craft stores sell pre-quilted fabric. I bought a pretty color for Christmas, cut it in the size she wanted for the size tree she has and then did my cross stitch on it. You have to buy this kind of fabric you baste onto it. Please don't ask me what it is called, maybe waste fabric???? You do your cross stitch on it then wet the waste fabric until it is really wet and then start pulling it off. You have to do strand by strand. One year for Christmas I did 13 sweatshirts. That kind of burned me out for cross stitch for awhile. I didn't learn my lesson though because another year I made every couple a cross stitch 8x10 picture.

Well the time has changed again for grand daughter's musical. It is now 2 PM on Saturday which will be much easier for us to make the drive.

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Joy/Janet - Bad Weather. Bad Weather. That's what I meant. lol

jb - Your property was very original.

Had the girls today while DS went to court and his sis accompanied him for moral support. I really wish that no one had to go through this. Court adjourned until next Tues because she didn't have her affidavit sent to DS"s lawyer. Judge ruled 50/50 access until court.
    Feeling drained.

p.s Thanks for all your encourage, prayers, texts, etc.

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Going to my "coach" in a few minutes.

Michele: thanks for the tidbit about the cats!

Lifting heavy: "heavy" will vary from person to person, but I lift reasonably heavy for me at the moment. A few examples: chest press about 45 pounds (per hand, with dumbbells), overhead press about 35 pounds per hand, leg press (machine, semi lying down) about 70 pounds per leg. Don't know if that's what you mean or if this helps you. I do know that getting stronger helps me mentally.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Just did the last page. I haven't been since page 26 and we are now working on 42 i'd be here all day and into tomorrow to catch up. I'll work at being here more.

Sue
    Sounds like the winter blahs. Or cabin fever.
    Get out of the house as much as you can.
    I work on getting out at least once a day.

Lesley
    An easy day here and there is good for the moral and what ails you.

Katab
    You just entered a very busy group of women.

Joyce
    Sounds like you really enjoy cross stich I started one years ago don't even know where it is I do have an idea I think it might of taken a walk to the dump. Culprit hubby.

Well I'm working on low carbs. Everything I read on it called beans so yesterday dummy that I am should of looked it up before eating them. Opened a can of beans had 1/2 the can 1 cup. For the count of 33 carbs and 300 some calories ouch. Did the same thing at supper made pea soup. That is high in everything also. Went way over on my carbs but was ok in the calorie department. Now I have all that pea soup. Guess i'll bring some to our bachelor at tops tonight.

Hopefully I can come back with a loss tonight. Anxious to put something positive in here.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario. -27.