WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Beth in W NY: I have never experienced a snowy winter like the one that you are going through this year. When I was a kid we were out of school for a week once, and since then we had days off many winters. We’ve also had mild winters, and this seems to be one of them. It looks like there will be water problems in our state this summer.

Carol: I’m glad to know your DD is taking vitamin D. I had Seasonal Affective Disorder for many years and it is no longer an issue. We have purchased and installed many daylight temperature lights in our home. They work. We have a Varilux lamp in our office and another beside DH’s reading chair in the living room. They’re beneficial. All of our other lights are very bright and/or daylight temperature lights. I also take vitamin D-3.

Linda: I can’t believe my knee hasn’t hurt all day. :bigsmile: I hope the pain stays away, too.

Michele: Thinking about the people who will likely offer you wine & I second Barbie’s suggestion. Can’t you simply say, no thank you? Travel safely.

Kim: Happy Anniversary! I like your new exercise regime, and your goals for year 2. You have good ideas for dealing with people who are toxic, and for toxic family members. Boundaries are important.

Renny: Happy Valentine’s Day! It is good to see you!

Diana: Great picture of you and Riley.

Sue: I’ll look in the frozen food section for Dole chocolate covered strawberries. Thanks for the information.

Pam: Welcome.

Lesley: I know your heart is heavy and that this is a very difficult time for you. I firmly believe you are doing what is best for Mildred Beagle. I believe that there are dogs in heaven. It wouldn’t be heaven without them. :broken_heart:

We had a lovely Valentine’s Day. DH took me out for brunch mid-morning & later on I went for a walk in the sunshine with the dog. This afternoon I took a long nap. I haven’t done that in ages. I guess I must have been tired.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Lesley - sorry that Mildred Beagle's time has come. You have had a great life together. I have enjoyed readin about your walks and paddles. <3 I decided a long time ago not to have animals in my life as I couldn't bear to lose them. :cry:

Went out for a walk around the ramparts this morning after a leisurely breakfast of papaya, pineapple, poached eggs, tiny bit of well grilled lean bacon and grilled tomato. I wanted to walk for an hour and I managed it, but when I got back I was soaking with sweat. My eyes were stinging and my hair was completely soaked through! Tropical sun. :ohwell: This was between 9 and 10 am. The pool here is too small for swimming, so I will try another walk in the evening. Only got about 50 mins in yesterday which isn't enough.

Last night's meal was fabulous and just my style! I started with tuna tartare with avocado and wasabi. Then I had mahi mahi fish in a broth with salad bits. All very healthy and not filling. That is how the rich stay thin! ! ! ! ! ! There was a bread basket for DH to fill up on. I went over on calories as we had some Prosecco, but hope to work it off today. The service was willing but not perfect for an expensive place, but we thoroughly enjoyed living like the rich for two hours! Wouldn't want to do it all the time though! Then it wouldn't be a treat!

Going to have a light lunch of corn cakes with salsa.
    Then a lie down in the air conditioning! ! !:laugh:

Much love to all. Heather in sweltering Galle, Sri Lanka
    27681614.png
  • thatsyum
    thatsyum Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did not set a goal for January but my focus was to remain committed.

For February my goals are simple
    1. track
    2. move
    3. sleep
    4. repeat

Not looking for any set lost will take anything going in the right direction.

My word is "self-love" I have the tendency to forget about me I am just now learning it is okay to take time or do things for myself
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!
    I have read all of your wonderful words and am thinking of you all. It's very late and not really time to post all the individual comments I'd like.

Lesley - I know this is a hard step but you have been such a loving "mom" for Mildred Beagle. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Toni in Tennessee where 4 inches of snow are expected Sunday night!
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Oooooopppps! Just eaten a whole lot of buffalo curd! I was good at lunch time as we went to the restaurant with a view and I just had cuttlefish and veg curry, no rice. We went out as we were cross with the music in the lounge. Petula Clarke anyone? Or "My beautiful balloon" ? ? ? In an old colonial hotel with the fans going round? It was loud too until I asked the manager to turn it down. Anyway out we went and I clocked up another 20 mins walking. Unfortunately my light lunch left me hungry so I decided to have a small portion of the curd for my afternoon snack. Of course, DH was out walking wasn't he! You'd think I'd learn! That is one of my triggers. :cry: So I ate the rest of the pot. :ohwell:
    We have done our hotel evaluations and written in our driver's book so after dinner we will be all set for packing and tomorrow back to Colombo for one night before our journey home. The hotel looks fabulous! The Tintagel - very new. Hope it has a good pool to stretch out those muscles. We have a city tour scheduled with the guide, but should be able to fit in a swim.

Love to all again. Heather, drinking soda water with a slice of lime in Galle.
    27681614.png
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all. And to all a great day. It can only be as great as you make it. So make it.
    Got up after six so I slept in I guess but went to bed later than usual. Had a fair day yesterday but did over eat but no sugar was in my day. Went downstairs and worked on all four of my what used to be clothes racks. They are now being used my me and grandkids. Hubby did a great job in cleaning and redoing the basement.

Michele
    I'm not a drinker and when in places that serve liquor at friends or even in bars I have asked for coffee. They can't refuse the dd coffee. And at friends house when they offer drinks I just say I would prefer coffee or tea if it's not to much trouble. Works every time.

Pam
    Take your diabetise seriously I did for the first three months got scared and seen to it. Lost 15 lbs. But here I am 4 years later trying to get back to where I was. Darn. The scare wore off. Right now I take 4 metformin a day. But if I don't smarten up I will end up on insulin which I don't want.
    You would think i'd smarten up I watched my friend a bad diabetese on insulin pass away from kidney problem at the age of 65.
    So it's not a desease to take lightly.

Lestan
    Many of us know what your going through. But you are doing the best thing that you can for your very loved fur buddy. Mildred will be happy in doggy heaven. Like Katla said there has to be dogs in heaven or it would be a great place to be. Take care of you.

Well I just had a great breakfast yesterday i boiled up rhubbarb and blueberries with apple juice to put on pancakes. There was some left so brought it to a boil and added oatmeal. Yummy.
    So know on to my day. Your going to say it's not much but to me it is. I'm on my fourth day of getting over 3.000 steps on fit bit. Compared to less than a thousand before.

See you all lighter
    Linda in freezing Northern Ontario.

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Oh it's cold this morning .... -9 with today's high expected to be -3 ... we haven't had such a relentless winter in a long time. Should make us appreciate Spring all the more!

Have been at the neighbors this am ... son is taking care of their two little dogs while they're out of town for weekend... but son was up with stomach flu at 4:30 (he just got over migraine!) ... so mom took over. Poor little dogs ... they didn't even want to put their paws down to do their business. Our black lab isn't too interested in the outdoors either!

Got a lot of exercise in yesterday, but ate most of the calories back with Ghirardelli Chocolate! Fortunately, the gift was mostly box and not much chocolate! While I certainly don't need more chocolate, the manufacturer should be ashamed!

Thinking of you today Lesley ...

Beth in Western New York

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    blizzard conditions here today will snow blow later once it stops. did some laundry and doing some cleaning around here..
    nursing home is i shut down mode at least for visitors, they have the GI bug going around so everyone has to stay in there rooms.. so cant go down there..
    we will try and work on the bathroom today....
    Today is a day of rememberance.. 15 years ago today we lost our mom at the age of 65.. she had kidney disease,had smoked all her life and didnt eat right so, she had alot of strikes against her.. so will be remembering all the wonder times we had with her
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It looks like we are due a little snow today. 3-5 inches likely. Don't you north easterners and Canadians feel sorry for me? If we do get that much it will be the first time this winter. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Last night I was scared that I had overworked and hurt myself. I was in pain when I went to bed. But this morning I feel lots better. I'm determined to be a lazy sloth today. Well, I have to get the dishes cleaned up from last night, but that's it.

Michele, I remember being bullied to drink when I was in the military. I realized even then that those who pushed it were not my friends. One real friend often stood up for me and told the others "she said NO, leave her alone". I remember him fondly. The rest I don't even remember their names. My mother was a mean drunk, and it was a matter of principle to me, not to drink. Still is.

Well, I'm going to get started on the dishes. Have a great day.

Big hugs to Leslie.

Sylvia

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's jokes of the day:

:)

A farmer was counting his cows and initially only counted 196, but when he rounded them up he had 200.

:D

A young man studying in a college abroad sent this SMS to his father: "Dear dad, no mon, no fun, your son."

The father replied: "Dear son, too bad, so sad, your dad."

:D
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Leslie, my heart goes out to you and Mildred Beagle.

DH has caught a very bad cold and it is in his chest. He is doing his monthly antique show and has to pack everything up today. I would have gone to help him but he is very precise in how he packs and would just get mad at me. I just hope he will be able to get to the urgent care center if need be as we are expecting snowy/icy weather over night. In Atlanta, everything shuts down on days like that. It's 22 degrees right now.

Sylvia, sounds like you may be overdoing. Take care of yourself so you can heal.

Joyce, love the idea of your "pocket pals."

Going to try to make the Pom come back inside. He adores cold weather.

Carol in GA
  • thlavallee1
    thlavallee1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pipcd: I hope you’ll tell us how to post pics from your phone. I love the picture you posted, especially the little black lab pup. All of the dogs are wonderful.

Diana: DH and I started our diet adventure together. I kept on but he slacked off. He’s put some pounds back on, and getting serious about getting rid of them. I hope he sticks to it.

Linda: It is great to see you on this forum again! The Oregon, Washington, and California mountains could use quite a bit of snow. While you’re shipping it, send some here. I’ve never tried salmon on a cedar board. Dijon mustard is an ingredient in our Diable sauce, but not with maple syrup. It sounds good.

Carol: I’m sending good thoughts your daughter’s way. I’ll keep her in my prayers. Exercise, vitamin D from sunshine, and the chemical vitamin D when sunshine is not available are also helpful in combating depression.

Thiavallee1: If you’re nearly at the top of your sugars so early in the day, I’d suggest you modify your breakfast selections. Many boxed cereals are very high in sugar. If the sugar is from jams and jellies, look for lower sugar products. Smucker’s makes some reduced sugar jams, and also some pure fruit items. Many boxed cereals are very high in sugar. I switched from sugar in my coffee to stevia ages ago. The stevia I prefer comes in a liquid form and I get it at Walmart. It will not be as sweet as the sugars you’re used to, and a little goes a LONG way.

CP in SO Florida: Congratulations on your weight loss successes. You seem to be motivated by competition. Good for you!

Sylvia: I’m glad I was able to help a little bit. :heart:

Vicki: It sounds as though you’re getting a big dose of family soon. I hope you and DH will be able to get the rest you need.

Sally W. Oregon: You are right about keeping salmon from over cooking. My uncle used to cook salmon for special “treats” at family barbecues. His was dry as dust and tough, all because he over cooked it. Thanks for your good wishes for my riding lesson. It was awesome.

Yanniejannie: I’d love to know your sweet potato pie recipe. We looked at basenji’s years ago and the breeder advised us against one at that time. She had pups, but didn’t think our family was a good match for basenji behaviors. Then she talked about dogs climbing up to the top of draperies & her refrigerator, and a whole passel of other things we wouldn’t have enjoyed & didn’t have the training skills to deal with. They’re very smart. I’m sure you already know that.

Michele: I‘ve been working very hard at remembering names, which has been a bugaboo for me for years. Believe me, this is not a good thing for a teacher. Picture flashcards weren’t much help. I’m beginning to make progress and am thrilled about it. I’m meeting many new people at the gym, and one of the receptionists there told me about figuring out how she remembered the name of the umpteenth Jake who joined the club. She privately thought of him as Jake the Snake, and never had a problem afterward. I’m sure humor and rhyming help. I can now remember her name because it is the same as one of my nieces. The connection to someone I know helped me. I can’t say I’ve conquered the problem, but I’m making progress. I now remember one person as Dan the Man, and another as Greg the egg. If only I can keep from saying it out loud I’ll be golden. I still struggle with Tucker, my lesson horse. Tucker the Trucker is hit and miss and Tucker the bucker seems mean spirited. He is a sweetie. I remember eventually but name recall has to be fast. This is a work in progress.

Rori: I’m glad you had some time at home with your DH. Good luck with your travels.

Dreamwriter: Many of the recumbent trikes are designed for racing or long distance riding and are both lower to the ground and sleek. Ours let us sit up more and see more easily. They’re perfect for our needs.

Heather: Your picture is divine. I think this is the first time I’ve seen your DH. He’s got a great face. Grand babies are always a treat.

Happy Valentine’s Day! We’re going out to brunch in a bit, and hope to drive to the coast tomorrow. Last night’s riding lesson still has me smiling. I’m proud of me. I groomed Tucker, and tacked him up with a saddle pad rather than a saddle. I spent my lesson trotting with just the saddle pad, and no saddle. WAHOO! I’m learning to balance. In other good news, I felt a click in my knee yesterday afternoon and the chronic discomfort went away. It is still gone. I’m counting this blessing and enjoying every minute I can.

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    3. Have fun every day.
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Leslie: Sending thoughts of support and peace for both you and Mildred. :heart:

Heather: I detest sweltering. I’m happy that you can rest in the air conditioning. Enjoy your last few days of adventure until next time. :flowerforyou:

thatsyum: Great February goals.

Linda: Three thousand steps is a great accomplishment. Congratulations!

Alison: Your comments about your mom made me think of mine. I always thought she was beautiful and she always thought she was fat. It is true that she spent her life “battling the bulge.” She died quite slender because of the effects of emphysema caused by life long chain smoking. I don’t recommend it as a weight loss strategy. :cry:

Sylvia: I love the jokes, as usual. I look forward to seeing them.

Today DH plans to work on his fishing boat and I really don’t have anything specific in mind. It looks like it will be a beautiful day, and walking the dog is on my todo list. Otherwise, I’m currently brainstorming fun ideas.

Did I tell you all that something inside my knee shifted & it feels like it went back into joint after more than three years? It's a miracle! I'll probably mention it again.

February Goals:
    3. Have fun every day.
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • thlavallee1
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Katla49 thank you for the Stevia suggestion I never thought of that, that should make a big difference. After the sugar in my coffee ( problem solved ) :) I find that most of the sugar comes from the 2-3 servings of fruit I eat per day and the 1 cup of milk I drink too. I really need to remember that even healthy food can contain a lot of sugar too.

75698249.png
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    i'm back just because I don't want to fall way behind.

Read it all but didn't take notes.
    See you all lighter.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun,off to church.temp is -10.burrrrrr
    hugs jane
  • thlavallee1
    Options
    Lestan48 wrote: »
    Sunday. I cannot stay crying too much. We have promised Mildred beagle we are going to the vet Monday. She can hardly drink or eat, sneezing blood and full of lumps and bumps. We tried everything but time to let her rest in peace. We have chosen where she will rest. We will take her to Ulverstone for one last walk in a place she loves so much.
    She is 12 and given me so much fun

I am so incredibly sorry for what you are going through. That is such a difficult decision to make. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :'(

75698249.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Best wishes to those in the cold and snow! :flowerforyou: Time spring appeared.
    We sat next to some New Yorkers in a restaurant tonight and they were talking about all your bad weather. It's hit the bbc news.
    The meal this evening was heavenly. Fish curry which was both spicy and delicate with "longbean" curry. I ate almost no rice or Dahl. Just to save calories. I had a large glass of white wine so it's a good job I clocked up 1 hr 50 mins walking.

I am looking forward to getting back into my exercise regime. This morning I did some yoga stretches and I was soooooo stiff!
    Love Heather in Sri Lanka
    27681614.png
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 457 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Just stopping in to wish everyone well. This is a wonderful thread full of wisdom, motivation and support. I do apologize for not stopping by more often.

Leslie, I am a fellow dog lover and send a big virtual hug to you. It is so hard to lose a beloved fur baby. I lost my sweet Theo 16 months ago and still think of him everyday. I agree with Margaret, my little guy is in Heaven having a ball in a little body with a strong heart now. I'm sure he will be the first one to greet me when I get there! We have an old Pug Girl that Hubby is babying, she is over 15 years old. He has to carry her everywhere and she needs support to stand well enough to eat and drink. She has always been a "foodie" and Hubby refuses to take her for her last vet visit as long as she can eat. Losing them is so painful, but they bring so much into our lives and are worth every minute we have with them. Hugs!

Sylvia, I am glad you are doing well. Hugs!

Best wishes to all of you!

Cindy in OK

• debi1978
    debi1978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Almost 4 lbs lost this month. I found the biggest accountably is the MFP. I also started Jenny Craig is week. I don't skip meals and end up grazing the kitchen. Let's do this!