WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Cindy Southern Maryland- my favorite meal is fajita seasoned chicken with a quarter cup of shredded cheddar cheese 2 cups of romaine lettuce and three quarter cup of warm salsa I miss that up in a bowl and I could eat it every day of the week! I also like to stir fry chicken with I half of red pepper half cup of sliced onion broccoli and carrots. It also is with asparagus. Very simple and easy to do. I buy pre cooked frozen sliced chicken.

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Linda I agree with you about the sun. Carol has your daughter had Vit D checked. Low levels can contribute to depression.

Cindy my healthy lunch is a salad with avocado, veggies, chia seeds, and cashews with olive oil and vinegar for dressing. Then Greek yogurt with blueberries, lemon zest, coconut, and fruit spread sweetened with fruit juice to sweeten the yogurt. To drink I mix Kombucha with unsweetened cranberry juice. The cranberry juice by itself is too bitter for me. I have added the cranberry juice because it was one of the home remedies to help with gum disease. It is also good if you suffer from bladder infections, too. I had to find the unsweetened version in the health food aisle.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,671 Member
    Options
    I think my whole point with the chips is the unrealistic serving size that is posted. Not necessarily the fact that I can eat one serving. It's just the average Joe blow it's probably not going to stop at 10 chips
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pipcd: I hope you’ll tell us how to post pics from your phone. I love the picture you posted, especially the little black lab pup. All of the dogs are wonderful.

Diana: DH and I started our diet adventure together. I kept on but he slacked off. He’s put some pounds back on, and getting serious about getting rid of them. I hope he sticks to it.

Linda: It is great to see you on this forum again! The Oregon, Washington, and California mountains could use quite a bit of snow. While you’re shipping it, send some here. I’ve never tried salmon on a cedar board. Dijon mustard is an ingredient in our Diable sauce, but not with maple syrup. It sounds good.

Carol: I’m sending good thoughts your daughter’s way. I’ll keep her in my prayers. Exercise, vitamin D from sunshine, and the chemical vitamin D when sunshine is not available are also helpful in combating depression.

Thiavallee1: If you’re nearly at the top of your sugars so early in the day, I’d suggest you modify your breakfast selections. Many boxed cereals are very high in sugar. If the sugar is from jams and jellies, look for lower sugar products. Smucker’s makes some reduced sugar jams, and also some pure fruit items. Many boxed cereals are very high in sugar. I switched from sugar in my coffee to stevia ages ago. The stevia I prefer comes in a liquid form and I get it at Walmart. It will not be as sweet as the sugars you’re used to, and a little goes a LONG way.

CP in SO Florida: Congratulations on your weight loss successes. You seem to be motivated by competition. Good for you!

Sylvia: I’m glad I was able to help a little bit. :heart:

Vicki: It sounds as though you’re getting a big dose of family soon. I hope you and DH will be able to get the rest you need.

Sally W. Oregon: You are right about keeping salmon from over cooking. My uncle used to cook salmon for special “treats” at family barbecues. His was dry as dust and tough, all because he over cooked it. Thanks for your good wishes for my riding lesson. It was awesome.

Yanniejannie: I’d love to know your sweet potato pie recipe. We looked at basenji’s years ago and the breeder advised us against one at that time. She had pups, but didn’t think our family was a good match for basenji behaviors. Then she talked about dogs climbing up to the top of draperies & her refrigerator, and a whole passel of other things we wouldn’t have enjoyed & didn’t have the training skills to deal with. They’re very smart. I’m sure you already know that.

Michele: I‘ve been working very hard at remembering names, which has been a bugaboo for me for years. Believe me, this is not a good thing for a teacher. Picture flashcards weren’t much help. I’m beginning to make progress and am thrilled about it. I’m meeting many new people at the gym, and one of the receptionists there told me about figuring out how she remembered the name of the umpteenth Jake who joined the club. She privately thought of him as Jake the Snake, and never had a problem afterward. I’m sure humor and rhyming help. I can now remember her name because it is the same as one of my nieces. The connection to someone I know helped me. I can’t say I’ve conquered the problem, but I’m making progress. I now remember one person as Dan the Man, and another as Greg the egg. If only I can keep from saying it out loud I’ll be golden. I still struggle with Tucker, my lesson horse. Tucker the Trucker is hit and miss and Tucker the bucker seems mean spirited. He is a sweetie. I remember eventually but name recall has to be fast. This is a work in progress.

Rori: I’m glad you had some time at home with your DH. Good luck with your travels.

Dreamwriter: Many of the recumbent trikes are designed for racing or long distance riding and are both lower to the ground and sleek. Ours let us sit up more and see more easily. They’re perfect for our needs.

Heather: Your picture is divine. I think this is the first time I’ve seen your DH. He’s got a great face. Grand babies are always a treat.

Happy Valentine’s Day! We’re going out to brunch in a bit, and hope to drive to the coast tomorrow. Last night’s riding lesson still has me smiling. I’m proud of me. I groomed Tucker, and tacked him up with a saddle pad rather than a saddle. I spent my lesson trotting with just the saddle pad, and no saddle. WAHOO! I’m learning to balance. In other good news, I felt a click in my knee yesterday afternoon and the chronic discomfort went away. It is still gone. I’m counting this blessing and enjoying every minute I can.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I've been reading but not had much to add to the conversation.

It's snowing great gang busters here. I've done an hour of snow removal already ... more to come. We pick up our son up for the weekend. Transferring in and out of the Taurus seems to be working the best. Will see if the roads are good enough to use it.

Craved carbs all week and didn't deny myself ... sigh. The only thing that kept me from gaining was lots of snow blowing! Tonight we'll have haddock ... my guys want it fried ... but will do mine in oven ... no special desserts here unless the guys are doing something!

Congratulations to those who have been doing well ... hugs to those who need them.

Beth in snowy Western New York
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Happy Valentine's Day! I'm doing a short sit down between some quick tidying and cleaning before my mother and brother show up for an unplanned visit! I'm glad they're coming but would have liked a little more warning. I'm also very concerned that mother may take a month (literally) to recover from being in a car for 5-6 hours in one day for the round trip. Her RA makes travel miserable. Well, it makes a lot of her life miserable...In any case, I'm glad she's going to get to see my new place and my daughter's. I hope she will be able to make it up the steps to see the upstairs portion.

Thanks for all of the concern for my daughter. I believe that she is taking prescription strength vitamin D. I get her outside every chance I get, but she is not a person who is inclined to exercise or be outside without strong motivation. I'm hoping the sun will come out today at least a little. I hope I will get a chance to be outside at some point today, too.

Rest time is over. I need to vacuum and dust plus brush my teeth and hair! Have a good day and, for those of you who have them, enjoy your sweethearts!

Carol in NC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy valentines day to u all.
    hugs
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Katla
    How nice is that I hope the knee pain stays gone.

Well for all of you sharing lunches I just had a great veg. omelette topped with spaghetti sauce so guess that's a spanish omelette. Yummy.
    I start with already cooked frozen veg. the ones with brocolli and waxed beans. Scramble two eggs add that to the veg. get 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce very good. And it's pretty good calorie wise. Like 250 calories.

Went downstairs and did some exercise I have four machines and with the basement all cleaned up it's much more pleasant to work out in. Put a thousand steps on fit bit doing it.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    I used the elliptical here at the hotel today. It says it's Level 1, but I swear it's more like Level 10. After 10 minutes I was sweating like crazy. Not sure what I'll do tomorrow, probably something on the treadmill.

Have to tell you about yesterday right before we left. I went to the box of Godiva chocolates, I actually opened it up and looked inside. Then I had a conversation with myself "is this going to help my body? How will I feel after I have it? Are the calories worth it?". In the end I actually put the box back in the pantry and had a Sargeto cheese stick. I liked the fact that I chose the cheese over the chocolate. The calories just weren't worth it.

On the way down here, Vince stopped to get gas and we ate at Wendy's. He had some sort of grilled chicken sandwich, which was probably OK. I brought in my food so I had a 1/2 sandwich of Nature's Own Whole Wheat bread, Hormel turkey, then some Just Peas, a baby food container of these green beans (hey, they don't have any sauce on them, they are just the green beans, AND they don't need refrigeration. Can't go wrong!), some dried apricots that I had that I wanted to use up. To me, this was a better lunch.

I know I went over on the calories last night. jessica wanted to make dinner for us. She had mentioned a while ago about making chicken parm, I did ask her to give me Shirataki noodles, which she did. Still.....the cheese and all. Then she'd bought one of those iced cookies, I know she really wanted me to have some. And she got a bottle of wine (i really didn't want any but she went out of her way for me). She kept telling me to "drink the wine". I did have a glass of water with the wine. But I'm sure I went over.

Tonight we're going to this place, the Alamo Drafthouse. You have dinner and watch a movie. We're going to see The Kingsmen. I've looked at their menu online and I'll get the veggie burger in a lettuce wrap and instead of the fries I'll get a salad. And ask them for just water. Jess wanted to take us to this place, but the tickets are $80 EACH. I told her that I'd really prefer if she spent the money on Lance's bills that she's still paying off. I know she wants to do something for us, so I suggested this movie place. We're going to go have an early dinner. Then tonight her friend is going to come over and we're going to play MY game of "Crazy Cat Lady". You know, the game Jess got me for christmas that she HAD to try out to make sure it was OK to give me.....lol

Sally - tell me how you like the PiYo class. I've always thought it sounded interesting.

yanniejannie - happy birthday to your hubby

terri - my heart goes out to you. Hope everything works out for you. Have fun at supper!

pip - what adorable pics!

hoff - that was so thoughtful of you to bring bags, etc for leftovers!

Barb from LA - yes, logging in advance does keep your count. I've kept my count even during the holidays by logging just one item

Rori - I swear you can almost guarantee that it'll be the absolute coldest ever when the GS cookies go on sale. That ALWAYS seemed to be the case when I went with dd to sell hers. I still remember she went to one neighbor and that neighbor said "no, we just bought some at (some grocery store, I don't even remember the name)". I just thought to myself "would it have killed you to have bought just one box from your neighbor to make my daughter feel good?". Well....it takes all kinds to make up the world

TNToni - have fun at your son's. I remember when we got Bonnie and Clyde, one of them was named Reeses Pieces. There was no way on this green earth that Vince would have a cat with that kind of name! We just changed the name. I hope the dogs get a 'forever" home.

Kim - I thought those marshmallows came out pretty good. I did find out, tho, that I shouldn't put the sugar on top like the recipe calls but to make sure that I do coat them in sugar/cocoa like the recipe calls. I'm going to take some to mahjongg Monday. Right now they're in the freezer. Wonder how they'll be after they are defrosted?

Sharon in Lethridge - after your daughter is finished cleaning and organizing your house, would she like to come to mine????

Sylvia - good grief! Going down two flights of stairs just to go to the bathroom! I honestly don't know if I'd make it. Sometimes when I gotta go...I gotta go THEN

Heather - what a wonderful guide you have there! That's so nice of you to let him go home to his sons, I'm sure he really appreciated it. What a wonderful pic! Thanks for sharing it with us all

Cynthia - I must have missed, what's going on?

Lillian in Saskatchewan - I don't feel comfortable in the deep water, I always wear a floation belt

NMMargaret - have a great dinner. How nice the kids remembered you in their valentines. Not that I'm surprised, mind you.

Cindy in MD - I know that this week isn't going to be my best (and that's putting it mildly). Between going over with Jessica, then I need to make some cookies for a gal at the Y, I'll need to make some sweet potato muffins for a gal I usually see in FL. I know me, and I'll have BLT's. I tend to like to have a Nature's Own whole wheat bread and Hormel turkey sandwich. The bread makes me want to drink a lot of water.

Help....I need ideas. We're going to meet a couple in FL who used to live near us. Anyway, I know that they like to have their wine/beer. Well...beer is no biggie for me because I don't care for beer at all. but I'm sure they're going to expect me to have some wine. I don't want to hurt their feelings, but I honestly don't care to have any. At the least I'd like to water it down, but this might hurt their feelings. What to do? Any ideas anyone?

Linda - the pancakes and sauce sound so good. Unfortunately, I'd be the only one would eat it.

pip - when you post a pic from your phone, do you first have to save the pic to your computer? That's what I usually have to do.

katla - many times I try to make some sort of connection to a peron's name against something else like another person with the same name. Sometimes it works...sometimes not. So glad your experiences riding Tucker are so great. I love hearing about them. And glad that your knee snapped back in place, if that's what happened.

Carol in NC - enjoy your mom and brother's visit!

Brought cereal with me, had 1/2 cup of skim milk, 2 egg whites, 1/2 an English muffin with salsa on top and right now I'm, literally, stuffed. We're here at Jess' right now and I looked at the cookie she had from last night and actually felt like "I don't care for any". Feels good. I'll probably have the same thing for breakfast tomorrow so I've already logged it.

Michele in NC now in VA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon Chica's~
    The DH and I went to Lowes and Home Depot, and bought, the faucet, a light for the hallway and a mirror for the bathroom... now we just have to buy the vanity.. we are staying with a neutral color pallet,and will take it from there.. once it is all done will try and post a picture.. wont be for awhile yet..
  • margaretturk
    Options
    Michele proud of you for resisting the chocolates!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    I caught up!!!! yeah for me.... so I have changed my schedule all around and am joining the hiking group... so this is my "new" exercise routine... 1 hour dog walk every day, usually 6-7am 3-4 days of the week doing hills. Tuesday a 5 mile hike with a 800 foot elevation gain (and then back down), Thursday 3-4 hours of gardening, every other Friday 3 hours of gardening... I am not one who wants to mix it up at all...just get it to be a habit and then it gets done and I'm off to things I like to do.

Yanniejannie – stick to your guns about the multi-bids!

Carol – sending ((((((hugs)))))) to you as you figure out how to respond to your DD

Diana – just learning about the calories is a good place to start, and if you are already cooking healthy that will help DH

Caffeine has come up in a number of posts… so I have been off all caffeine for 20 years (about) and even limit my chocolate due to the caffeine, for me it caused cysts in my breasts which the Doc believed to be pre-cancerous… that made it an easy decision to eliminate the caffeine.

Pip – love the pup pictures!

Ginger in Idaho – welcome!

Sally – I walk my reactive young springer spaniel by a farm that has sheep and goats, they run classes on herding there… we walk early when nothing is going on, but my dog barks hysterically and the sheep and goats… well the sheep leave and the goats charge at him and the fence…. He doesn’t know what to do – it is a bit funny!

Red – sorry to hear that you and hubs are using the D word; if you are still doing girl scouts there are kids at home, would counseling be an option? Of course if you and/or the kids are not safe – then leave as quick as you can.

Diane from Ohio – welcome

Sharon – love the spring flowers in your picture – sounds like a quiet day was just what you needed.

Diana in NE Indiana - I love fish, but agree that the recipe makes all the difference! I do not like it poached or baked in foil… too wet… I like it baked or BBQ …

Pip – great idea on becoming an instructor – your point of view and knowledge plus such a positive attitude would be great! Great NSV on the chips!

CP – you go!!! 3 lbs is great!

Heather – another great post! And the pic of you and hubby is fab! I would have guessed you and hub were 20 years younger !

Feb. goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    PS... I have a fit bit and my goal is 11,000 steps which I make/break 95% of the time.. and at 10:30 this morning, I hit my 11K step goal and it is 68 degrees F. here... sure not much of a winter.. this is the most spring I have ever had...
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Me and my pup Rileynw0jc2baxnoo.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :D Michele, my suggestion for the wine drinking dilemma is to stay something like "No thank you, I'm just drinking water today."

:D Our big midday meal is some variation on a skinless, boneless chicken breast or fish filet seasoned with Mrs. DASH baked in the oven accompanied by two steamed fresh or frozen vegetables (corn, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, squash), I don't use butter or anything on my vegetables. My freezer is full of bags of frozen vegetables and fish and chicken so I can put a meal together easily by defrosting the fish or chicken in the refrigerator the night before.

:D I am meeting a friend in a few minutes to walk and talk for an hour or more.

smiley-sport017.gifI did my strength training first thing this morning while watching Jeopardy with my husband. I ignored my usual excuse that he doesn't like the sound of the Velcro on my ankle weights or having me move around while the TV is on and it worked great.

<3 Barbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,671 Member
    Options
    caup6evwno2r.jpg

Happy hearts day from us to u. This is also from my phone. U have to save the pic to your phone first not your computer. Then pic it
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    r8c0a32pfbn2.jpg
    Here are Brandy and Sasha with their newest haircuts. I can't figure out how to post pictures from my phone so I e mailed the picture to myself and posted it from my computer.
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    axfqhozssgcw.jpg

my valentine
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Well it just dawned on me today is my anniversary. One year, One full year of MFP, I’ve missed a few days here and there of logging, only two with no exercise at all (2 sick days), and every day I have made better food decisions than I would have made without MFP, and without my friends and pals on the over 50 forum. Thank you all!
    My goal when I started was 30 lbs off in 3 months and then get out on a dating site find the love of my life and never look back. Reading that now it sounds like the goal of a 20year old with no life experience… Good Grief!
    But I did lose the 30lbs it took 10 months (and I gained 3 back that I am fighting now), I never got on the dating site, but have started some serious inward looking with the help of a counselor and all of you, and know that while weight lose is important the fact that I tolerate myself, frustrate myself and don’t really accept that I am valued is a bigger problem to long term satisfaction than just the weight.
    So this year’s goal is 23 lbs gone – the 3 repeat pounds and 20 more unneeded ones; to look honestly at the groups I belong to and the folks in my life and release the ones that are toxic, non-supportive, and add new ones that support, and challenge. If I can not release one (aka family) design clear boundaries for type and quantity of interaction to protect and support me.
    So here goes! Welcome year 2!

Kim, from N. California
  • margaretturk
    Options
    Pip and Diana great pictures.

Love the doggie photos.

This picture is from one of the garden tours I went on last summer. Thought it appropriate for today.eueweimr21cg.jpg

It says You've touched our heart.

:Heart MNMargaret