WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,697 Member
    Options
    Salmon for dinner tonight. I'm not a fish eater. I was forced to eat it as a kid - my dad was a fisherman and we were poor (although I didn't know it at the time). I try it every couple of months and tell myself that I'm a grown up and my taste buds have surely changed and that it is good for me. Trying a new recipe tonight so maybe that will make all the difference. Fingers crossed!

Diana in Northeast Indiana (below zero windchills!)

I thought I was the only one! I will try something that I used to hate every couple of years 2 c if my taste buds have changed or something.... like raisons, still hate them. :0/

this is the little man with Floyd when they were starting to get used to each other.... all together now..... awwwwwwwwwwwwww

3nph6niv1ybd.jpg

I have decided something.. Thursday I was planning on running but I forgot my monkey feet (5 fingers shoes, vibrams) so I went upstairs to the spin room and I had my speaker and spinned. there were a couple of ladies there that were doing their own thing and I was just remembering some of my old routines (used to be an aerobics instructor) and when a certain song would come on I was thinking, oh that move would work on this song and so on... so when the 40min. were up, they mentioned that they liked my music that i was playing and I told them that I think I was going to do my own class in there on Thursday and they said if they did they would follow me... hmmmm we'll see how it works out and how many calories I burn doing that.
  • bumblebeejec
    bumblebeejec Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    <3 this group!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Red: Sending good thoughts your way. I hope the long term results of this situation with your *H are in your favor and that you end up happier than ever.

Newbies: Welcome to a great group of supportive women.

Lillian in W Saskatchewan: We’ve been to Butchart Gardens several times over the years. They are a rare treat. We just sent off applications for our new passports so that we can visit them again soon.

Sylvia: 128.8 lbs! You are a champion in my book. My cousin’s wife had her colon shortened a LOT more than a few inches and it hasn’t resulted in weight loss. The medicine she has to take has caused weight gain. I hope you don’t have to take prednisone. :noway:

Diana in NE IN: We love salmon and I hated it as a kid. We grill ours with a Diable sauce on the top. The sauce recipe is something we got out of Sunset magazine years ago. Let me know if you want it. It has butter, Dijon mustard, and spices.

Michele: We have recumbent trikes because DH can’t balance a bike due to MS issues. I love mine. I’m not at all sure I could balance on a recumbent road bike, but the exercise bikes that are recumbent are stationary & allow you to sit back while you work your legs as Barbie said.

x8g9vetwd17b.jpg

Time to get ready for abs class and then yoga. I want to be strong for this evening’s riding lesson.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ok, got through yesterday's crazy day under my calorie goal, thanks to you. I honestly was inspired by your progress, even though I felt SO hungry and soldiered on. The suggestions to pack all the right food really helped, and at my son's Valentine party I took a big vegetable platter with homemade dip (both of which I set aside some for me so I knew how much I was having). This morning though, I feel 'weak' for lack of a better term. Anybody else ever feel like that? Is it just because my body's having to adjust to the sudden replacement of gluttony with self-discipline and moderation? Anyway, I really wanted to thank everyone who took the time to give me some really good tips for success. You're awesome!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    my husbands recumbent bike was a 2 wheeler
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,978 Member
    Options
    SelenaP63 wrote: »
    This morning though, I feel 'weak' for lack of a better term. Anybody else ever feel like that? Is it just because my body's having to adjust to the sudden replacement of gluttony with self-discipline and moderation? Anyway, I really wanted to thank everyone who took the time to give me some really good tips for success. You're awesome!

:D Selena, when I first started this journey, I planned and logged my food for the day and stuck to the plan no matter what. At first there were times when I had to find a ton of distractions to get through to the next meal, but in time it got better. I used my food diary to help me make changes to what I was eating and added some calories on days when I was especially active. I eliminated items from my eating that had a lot of calories but not much food value (desserts, salad dressings, sauces, bread, pasta), and added more lean protein (fish, chicken, turkey) and steamed or raw veggies (you can eat a lot without a huge pile of calories).

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifBarbie
  • dogbydog123
    dogbydog123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Carol, it sure spunds like your daughter is struggling with clinical depression. Please help her get in to see a psychiatrist and therapist.

I speak from my own experience. Our natural brain chemicals can make life miserable when they get out of whack.
  • dogbydog123
    dogbydog123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use my phone for this, and I am trying to figure out how to post a photo of Ziva, my Disability Service Dog.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Spent all morning catching up and am off to play golf. A bit chilly right now but suppose to be 65 later. My eye is not as swollen so I can read better. :D

Jane – sounds like a prefect visit with your grandkids and daughter. I love her name, Jaelyn.
    Joyce – have you heard the joke ,”I want to weigh what my driver’s license says I weigh.’
    Dragonfly – good wishes for a speedy recovery from your knee surgery.
    Mary – MN – what an awesome NSV for you at the food show. I’m sure you looked great. Proud of you! Is Kenpo a video or on UTube?
    Heather – I also enjoy the reports of your holiday. I’m sure it’s really hot there especially since you’re not use to the heat. The lizard has the perfect colors for that tree. Great picture.
    SocialWacker – enjoy your cruise.
    Diana – glad you DH is doing MFP also. It is an eye opener when you see the calories add up.
    Lin – WTG on the 4 lb loss at Tops.
    Jolenec – glad you came back. That is a great first step. Take it one day at a time and be kind to yourself.
    Pip – cute pup. Looks like he likes the water.
    Michele – I was thinking this morning it is getting time for your trip to FL. My DGD calls my wrinkles, Krinkles. She cracked me up.
    Ginger – welcome. As you will see in the days ahead, there are always women to talk to here. Lots of fun, wisdom, advice and sometimes sad stories. We are family.
    Red – Sorry to hear about your situation. It took me a few seconds to decide what the D word referred to. I was thinking dessert. I helped DGD sell cookies last weekend. People were so nice to the girls.

JSueBDew - TX

February Goals:
    1. Drink at least 6 cups of water a day. This has been hard for me this winter but I will do it
    2. Eat at least 5 fruits/veggies a day. This is something I must do!
    3. Begin strength training. Do 2x a week.`

February word: Choices (Thanks Joyce!)

27854289.pngSueBDew – TX

• pipcd34
    Options
    SelenaP63 wrote: »
    Ok, got through yesterday's crazy day under my calorie goal, thanks to you. I honestly was inspired by your progress, even though I felt SO hungry and soldiered on. The suggestions to pack all the right food really helped, and at my son's Valentine party I took a big vegetable platter with homemade dip (both of which I set aside some for me so I knew how much I was having). This morning though, I feel 'weak' for lack of a better term. Anybody else ever feel like that? Is it just because my body's having to adjust to the sudden replacement of gluttony with self-discipline and moderation? Anyway, I really wanted to thank everyone who took the time to give me some really good tips for success. You're awesome!

your body is going thru changes, so it does happen that you would "feel weak" but as long as you are putting good nutrition in your gut, you're doing ok. you'll feel like you're kinda going thru withdrawals if you are cold turkey stopping the bad poop. I feel like that when I haven't eaten when I should because of the workout that I just did. my eating is now for fuel if that makes sense.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    uzzqnmn602gm.jpg

Never tried but did this from my phone
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words. I know this is where I need to be since you ladies helped me so much the last time I was here. I am trying to crochet more at night to help keep my mind and hands busy and out of the frig. However, last night, Jasmine didn't want me to crochet, she wanted my attention. ... the little diva dog.150209_002_zps01b09d8b.jpg
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    There that took like two hours of back and forth. Reading some then housework back to reading then the other. Muti tasking. But now i'm all caught up on the reading. The housework well that's a different story. But lots got done.

Diana
    Great for hubby learning the diet ropes.
    It will be a big encouragement for you

Jolenic
    We are not here to critisize only to try and help.
    Welcome back.

Allison
    Don't you just love when you do something to try and help and all that happens is you get critisized for it. Makes you feel that no matter what you do it's not appreciated.

Katla
    Thank you. I think the best is to try and avoid all the new fan dangle stuff there coming out with and stick to basics. Soups and home cooked meals with lots of vegetables.

Margaret
    Guess i'll join the others in saying your flowers are a reminder that spring is coming.

Ginger
    This is a great group but a busy one.

Lilymay
    You need snow we have lots to give here in Northern Ontario.

Michele
    Men are they ever in a big rush. Seems to me they don't have a clue of what time a day it is.

Katla
    Ever try salmon on a cedar board very good. I had coated it with maple syrup and dijon mustard. Enjoy the riding tonight.

Selena
    I know when just starting your al gung ho to do good.
    But don't forget if your not eating enough you will have weak spells.
    Dizzy spells. Make sure you consume 1.200 healthy calories.
    Good luck.

Well i'm putting in a good day my fit bit is close to 2,000 steps and it's only after lunch.
    Been going up and down the basement hubby is working down there. So while there got on the treadmill a little bit. He put a bunch of shelving in the sump pump room which is just off my sewing table so been placing material and such in there.
    He is fixing a rec room calling it his man cave. It's looking good.

Well i'm out of here. Oh yea wii frowned at me this morning but will not let a .2 gain scare me from my goals and plans.

See you all lighter
    Linda

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    dogbydog123 - My daughter is definitely clinically depressed. She spent some time in the hospital in December. Since then, she has been seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist on a regular basis (she saw one earlier but it got too difficult to manage appointments while working her previous job). Thanks for your concern! I forget that not everyone was around in December when we were going through the really difficult part...
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon! Am being so lazy today. Enjoyed reading through all the posts.

Carol in NC: Sorry your daughter is going through so much and know you must be worried sick. I thank God for modern medicine that can help all of us when we go through difficult times.

Love all the puppy pictures! We are blessed to have pets in our lives.

Here is my POM!

xioo24jqfcbd.jpg
  • thlavallee1
    thlavallee1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have a problem staying near or under the recommended amount of grams if sugar each day? I'm finding after eating just my breakfast I'm already near my limit.
  • funnygirl4000
    Options
    Hey ladies! Wow! This is a Big group. (: Thank you to who ever welcomed me. Was wondering if any of ya'all ( I' m a okie, can't ya tell?) ladies would friend request me. I only have 1 friend & would like more. Please and thank you! I am realizing my goal of 30 pounds by June may be unrealistic. I have only lost couple pounds since I started. I am not exercising on a regular basis ( it is hard for me to excersise by myself ) I am eating much healthier & feel much better so I will take that as a win for now and try more aggressively to find a workout partner. You ladies all seem very nice. & so positive & supportive. This is a great group!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I use my phone for this, and I am trying to figure out how to post a photo of Ziva, my Disability Service Dog.
    Type what you want to say then tap the arrow to the right of the icon that looks like a piece of paper with the corner folded down. Then you will see a button that says choose file. Tap this and it should take you to you photo gallery. Choose your picture and click done.

Looking forward to seeing your picture soon!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    The little image at the bottom of my post is from my practicing so that I would know the exact words to tell dogbydog. I thought I deleted it, but apparently only deleted the big picture. It is a dog pic I borrowed from the Internet to use in a children's sermon on waiting when you want something now.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    thlavallee - I am not watching my sugar at this time, but your food diary is a good place to determine what foods are hiding the most sugar, and learn how to make substitutions. It may be time to create a new favorite breakfast for yourself. I prefer lots of protein for breakfast when I have time (eggs, turkey bacon, etc.). I try to stay away from white complex carbs (but sometimes fail at that, too). I still almost always go over on fat grams :'( Because of that, I try to not eat what DH cooks or chooses to eat (still failing, but still trying).

funnygirl4000 - I think I sent you a friend request (my phone rang at work, and sometimes I'm easily distractible).

Coffee salesman was here today. We are trying 3 new kinds in our office. 2 different Starbucks roasts, and Carmel/Vanilla coffee (I am also hiding some carmel/vanilla creamers for the rare days that I don't go over on my fat grams).

I hope everyone is able to make wise choices today. Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee