Eat junk or nothing?

Options
tlw7
tlw7 Posts: 41 Member
i was taught several years ago it's better to eat something (When it's time to eat) then nothing. I ran Sunday morning and burned around 700cals so I definitely needed more food. Well we spend Sunday's at my mother in laws so she can spend time with my kids. She hardly has any good choices...seriously so much junk and processed foods. Thankfully I've successfully left her house the last two times not having eaten any of it! My question...I was pretty hungry and needing calories last week but didn't want junk. Should I find the best thing possible? Or wait until I can get something healthy? I also, in the bk of my head, don't want to eat something that will trigger a binge. (Next time I will take even more of my own snacks!)

Replies

• coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    IMaybe plan your time with her so it doesn't include mealtime and definitely bring your own snacks......or maybe offer to cook some meals while you are there?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    And what makes it "junk"? I ate ice cream, half a donut, 2 pieces of chocolate, and nutella today. I've eaten like this fr 8 months and lost 30lbs (taking the weight loss slow for my body composition goals).

But then again I don't classify food as being junk, good, bad, healthy, clean, etc. Food is food. I'm aware of macros and general nutrient-density, and that's more than enough.

And used to be a binger who DID classify food that way. Got rid of the classifications and can now have all thsi stuff on hand and not eat it all all at once.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Eating disorders start this way. All food regardless of the source has nutritional value, and if you need it, eat it. It's about balance and there's room for all types of foods and if you've met your daily macro and micronutrient requirements eating some junk one a particular day as you say, then your healthier doing it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is a good idea to bring your own food next time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are you considering junk?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I can imagine the reaction if I brought my own food to my mother-in-laws.

Food is food, eat it, log it, move on.

Within the confines of a balanced diet nothing in moderation should be off limits.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Curious myself.

You have to decide what's more important to you: not being hungry, or not eating certain foods.

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You got it. Bring your own healthy snacks for you and your kids. I am sure you don't want them eating all that crap.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Definitely bring your own snacks next time!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would just eat it depending on how hungry I was and the availability of other options. But I eat junk food anyway on a regular basis.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what are you using to measure calorie burns?

what do you consider junk?
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I swear none of you people read.

The person clearly said:
    I also, in the bk of my head, don't want to eat something that will trigger a binge.

Obviously "junk" food is food that the poster cannot eat with self-control, or that will cause a loss of self-control.

Yes, we are all in awe of those of you who eat ice cream or Oreos or whatever else whenever you want with perfect self-control and never over-eat.

Not everyone is like you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

The person clearly said:
    I also, in the bk of my head, don't want to eat something that will trigger a binge.

Obviously "junk" food is food that the poster cannot eat with self-control, or that will cause a loss of self-control.

Yes, we are all in awe of those of you who eat ice cream or Oreos or whatever else whenever you want with perfect self-control and never over-eat.

so because someone has zero self control around said food it is then "junk"...really?
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

The person clearly said:

Maybe not. But it is possible for you to change your mindset and being able to handle eating things in moderation. You'll never convince me it's not. I was one of the biggest out of control bingers when it came to sweets. I always said I could never eat those things without losing control. I was that way for years, and I yoyoed back and forth because the diets I tried were always too restrictive. I knew that I would never be able to stick to an eating plan where moderation wasn't a part of it. I like certain foods too much. Did it take work at first? Of course, but I was willing to work on it so that I could stick with my eating plan long term. Now, 7 months and 75 pounds down later, I eat what I want in moderation. This is coming from someone who was dead set that I would never be able to do it...that I was one brownie or piece of pizza away from a binge. Anyone can practice moderation and eat foods they love in reasonable amounts. And the first step is not demonizing foods, which is what many here are trying to point out to the OP.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If it were me, if eating the food at your MIL's house will trigger a binge, then I'd go hungry until I got to food that would not trigger a binge.

In the future, I'd bring something to eat with me. If I thought that would be offensive to my MIL, I'd eat it on the way to her house.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Why would this matter in regards to the OP's question? Why must we get hung up on a generic undefined term? Just imagine something you don't want to eat and then decide would you eat it anyway or wait till food you did want to eat was available.
  • troutrouter
    Options
    To that particular person it may be junk. It's all individually relative. One man's junk is another man's treasure.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    tlw7 wrote: »
    i was taught several years ago it's better to eat something (When it's time to eat) then nothing. I ran Sunday morning and burned around 700cals so I definitely needed more food. Well we spend Sunday's at my mother in laws so she can spend time with my kids. She hardly has any good choices...seriously so much junk and processed foods. Thankfully I've successfully left her house the last two times not having eaten any of it! My question...I was pretty hungry and needing calories last week but didn't want junk. Should I find the best thing possible? Or wait until I can get something healthy? I also, in the bk of my head, don't want to eat something that will trigger a binge. (Next time I will take even more of my own snacks!)

I'd find the best thing possible at her house before bringing my own food.

IMO it IS better to eat something when your body needs it vs not eating at all (especially after a workout) because the food doesn't meet some standard you've set in your brain. Surely she has something in her house that won't trigger a binge.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    if you can, i would try to eat beforehand, bring something, or wait. my SO's mother told me last minute that they were having pizza, cake, and ice cream Monday night. I can not eat those things so I had some tuna before we went over, drank water while there, and filled in the rest of my calories after we got home.
  • tlw7
    tlw7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sorry to cause such a stir with my use of the work 'junk.' I didn't really mean anything by it. My background...former college athlete, 2 kids (3 and 16mo), and former binge eater. This summer I ate so well and lost about 15lbs. I have to start strict-ish to get on track, but once I get a few days under my belt I can usually keep it up and eat anything. No foods are really off limits for me. I love chickfila, ice cream, and tootsie pops. Obviously there are better choices then those but I don't tell myself I can't eat anything-makes me crave it more. I've strung together 10days In a row of tracking every bite and making healthy choices (still with the occasional chickfila). The further I get in my process the stronger I am and when I start seeing more changes...I'm even stronger. As of rt now I don't want to mix in too many 'not the healthiest' options.