Save the world by eating less meat...

Options

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Great. So we eat more plants, live longer, produce more children and inflict yet more of the most destructive species the world has ever seen on it. That'll be super awesome for the environment!

Alternatively, we could just eat a balanced diet and breed less.

Exactly. Quit breeding more humans. That alone is better for the planet above anything else.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I have green on mine: :D
    jd04np0mluka.jpeg

Lettuce AND a tomato? Heck that is practically a SALAD to me!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 7 years when I was younger. I'm much healthier now that I eat meat, and it tastes good.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    hmmm......guess we don't need those pesky canine teeth then......

less meat, not no meat
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    It's ok to kill animals to eat plants but it's not ok to kill animals to eat meat, got it.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    js1135l55iah.gif

I cannot and I will not
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I only eat meat once or twice a week. Growing up my family was poor and we only ate meat on the weekends for our "special" dinners. I guess that habit kinda stuck with me. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a steak or a burger I just don't eat like that everyday. I don't think eating less meat will save the world...
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hahahahahahaha. I love jokes in the morning.

BRB. The bacon I'm cooking is almost done.

Ukh1uMJ.jpg
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You guys go ahead with that. More for me!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    js1135l55iah.gif

I cannot and I will not
    OMG shaaaaaaaaaare <3
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »

Ukh1uMJ.jpg

ron-and-salad.gif
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Yes, stop eating meat... I'm tired of not being able to find the steaks I want at Wal-Mart because people who don't work get there before I do, and take it all.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Great. So we eat more plants, live longer, produce more children and inflict yet more of the most destructive species the world has ever seen on it. That'll be super awesome for the environment!

Alternatively, we could just eat a balanced diet and breed less.

Holy crap, that was funny.

• jkwolly
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes, stop eating meat... I'm tired of not being able to find the steaks I want at Wal-Mart because people who don't work get there before I do, and take it all.
    Steak at Wal-Mart? :\

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Yea... I live in a country area... I don't have a lot of choices to get meat....
  • jkwolly
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Yea... I live in a country area... I don't have a lot of choices to get meat....
    Awesome! I would love to get it at mine, just only have craaaaappy selections.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    Nutrition aside, certain meats are part of various cultures. I'd honestly hate to see traditions fail because eating less meat="better environment". Considering all of the other things currently harming the environment, I think there's other things that could be done.

Logical Fallacies:
    Appeal to Antiquity / Tradition - Traditions don't make something right, logical, or good.
    Fallacy of relative privation (or what's the other fallacy called- fallacy of causes? uneven causes? when someone cherry-picked which problem they want to address) - Just because there are other things hurting the environment, does not mean that this thing doesn't or doesn't need to be addressed.

And I understand that. I still think that it is relevant, though. Additionally, look at meat as a staple. Fwiw, some meat products are more readily available and more practical to some families than foods that are solely plant based.

I'll add that I know many families (including my own) that needed help from the state in the form of welfare. What kind of food do you think they were able to buy with their food stamps? I'll give you a hint: Some meat, vegetables, and milk got a family with two parents and four young children much farther than just fruits and vegetables.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    make plant protein taste better and fit my damn macros and I'll consider it.

This. I have a hard enough time hitting my protein goals as it is.

I had a Boca Burger once - it was awful.
  • fattofit_fritch26
    fattofit_fritch26 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »

Ukh1uMJ.jpg

ron-and-salad.gif

And adding on to the Swansonness

dw6ur9ka7btx.jpg
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    People are selfish; can't deny it. "I don't care if it's good for the environment; I want what I want because I want it."

I've been planning more vegetarian meals around here. I'd like to be fully vegetarian, but son and husband are not on board, and once I've cooked meat for them, I want some. 3 oz in a day isn't so bad, is it?